Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

My Lucky Dog, Roxy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

tiera11

tiera11
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Hi Everyone,

I would like to introduce My lucky dog, Roxy. I refer to Roxy as my lucky dog because, before she came to live with my husband and me, having a dog in my home was forbidden for the mere fact that I was bitten by one as a kid and was afraid of dogs. Roxy is a 5 month old pug who was given to my daughter as her graduation gift from her boyfriend when she completed 4 yrs of college. Roxy lived with Althea  while she was doing her internship with the UN at the time in Washington. My husband and I went to his niece wedding in Virginia back in July, visited our daughter and saw how stressed she was, caring for a puppy and have to work at the same time.

When we were about to leave Virginia, we suggested to Althea to allowed us to keep her dog because she was accepted into George Mason University for her graduate studies. We felt that between school, work, and caring for Roxy would be a bit too much on Althea and we wanted her to concentrate on her studies. Althea was very receptive by the suggestion. Roxy came home with us. I grew to love this little puppy so much, that everytime i came from out, i will have a toy or treat that was purchased for her. Roxy is potty trained and would let us know when she has to do her thing. I found a vet Hospital in my area, updated her shots, and took her for grooming as well. My husband usually make fun of me, saying: "for someone who was afraid of dogs, you have become the best dog lover". My husband than, started to call roxy -you lucky dog. On september 16th, around 4:00pm, Roxy indicated that she had to go to the toilet by standing at the front door and barking. I put her leash on and took her out on the front lawn. After she releases herself, she decided to run around and broke loose from her leash.

Roxy saw some people standing on the other side of the street and decided to go across the street, being a friendly puppy. I tried to stop her, but was not successful because she is very fast. I couldn't run because i am recuperating from a post meniscus tear sugery of my knee. While Roxy was running across the street, a car was speeding on the block and hit my dog, breaking her leg and left her to die.  The driver never stopped, even though people were calling out to her. I called my husband at work to inform him of the incident. I was too distraught to drive. My neighbor came over to take Roxy and me to the vet hospital. While we were on our way, we ran into my husband and then switch cars. We got to the vet hospital, the doctor examined Roxy and said she had a broken leg . She then said it would cost $1,040.00 to Repair Roxy laceration and put her leg in a splnt along with x-ray etc. The vet asked that we pay the money up front before she could take care of Roxy because they don't accept payment arrangement and we were denial by care credit when we applied.  The money my husband and i were saving towards the mortgage of our house is what we used to paid for the services rendered for  Roxy.  Although, we were given a discount, and we ended up paying $921.00.  
We did everything as we were told about Roxy having cage rest, she should only come out to eat and release herself as needed. But the splint that was put on, came off 2x in one week and Roxy was taken back to have it reapply. When we went back the second time to have the splint reapply, the other doctor did a x-ray before reapplying the splint. She told us that the doctor who worked on Roxy initially should have told us that surgery would have been the best choice for Roxy. The second doctor said that if Roxy remain in the splint and heal, she will be deformed. I was very irate and said that, i didn't think that it was fair to my husband and me, after paying all that money, only to tell us a week later that Roxy should have surgery.

However, we were referred to VSEC where Roxy was seen by a surgeon.  The cost of surgery is  $4,000 plus. Times have been very difficult for my family and me, since i injured myself and been out off work. I would give anything for my lucky dog because she has brought joy into my life since i have been unemployed at the present time. I contacted other organizations for assistance but was denial. I know with God all things are possible, he will never leave us or forsake us in times of need. This is my story friends, I pray that you folks come through for us.

God Bless,
Bea, AJ, Tiera, and Roxy

Edited by tiera11, 28 September 2013 - 02:25 PM.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,968 posts
My husband and my first dog was named Roxy...she was also a love...but a little larger than your Roxy...ours was a German Shepherd/Collie mix...but still the best dog...

I don't know if you have followed the step by step instructions for financial aid from IMOM yet, but here is the link...GOOD LUCK...

http://www.imom.org/fa/index.htm

tiera11

tiera11
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Hi Everyone,
I have been waiting to hear from IMOM after sending all required documents before
writing about Roxy but no one has contacted me as of yet. Today is not a good day
because Roxy still needs help and no one seem to care or to be reaching out. I can't
sleep. I am trying to reach out to other organizations as well. Onxy and breezy asked me
to let them know when IMOM contact me. They are presently reviewing my documents
I have been praying for a maricle that someone will come through for my Roxy.
One can not explain all their fanicial problems to people but it is tough. Roxy who was
very active and loves to eat, has lost her appetite. I pratically have to hand feed her.
I pray to God that things turn around because she has brought so much joy in my life.
Folks we need your help!!

God Bless,
Bea and Roxy

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,968 posts
Keep your lines of communication OPEN, IF you sent in paperwork to IMOM days ago, you should have heard from them...if you haven't email to check on things

gf@imom.org

you need to confirm that you have sent everything in that is required...GOOD LUCK  Roxy needs you, stay strong...Judy

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,916 posts
Please send an email to gf@imom.org to contact the financial aid committee.

Cindy W/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

tiera11

tiera11
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Hey Judy,
I want to thank you and Cindy for responding to my post. I was beginning to give up
before you folks told me what to do for this is my first time in this situation and very
much confuse. I am now on the right path. I also have build up courage to work hard
on Roxy behave knowing that some folks really do consider their pet part of the family
like myself. I got a good response from onxy and breezy in regards to Roxy. Jenny
actually contacted me twice. They are also willing to help but being that the amount
is high, they encourage me to reach out for help which i am working on. Keep us in your
prays, for with God all things are possible

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,968 posts
Bea, everyone here at IMOM understands and care...believe me...

I know it's so frustrating and stressful thinking you are alone, but you are not...not here at IMOM...

You hang in there, be strong, Roxy needs you now more than ever...it's hard to work on finding funding and hear that there's no money available, but there are angels around every corner...you just can't give up...it's tough work but SO WORTH it...

tiera11

tiera11
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Judy- your words of encouragement is so uplifting. Especially after it was suggested to me to have
my puppy leg amputated because i can't afford it now. How cruel can a person be. One knows who
a angel is by their spoken words. I know that my God will not forsake us in our time of need. Keep us
in your pray.

Bea

tiera11

tiera11
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Hi Everyone,
I am pushing forward for Roxy sake. One of the organizations that turn me down just
send me an email, inquiring about what help Roxy will be needing. Looks like God is
turning things around for us. I just send my respond and keeping my fingers cross. Roxy
is relaxing right now after eating well not too long ago. She's still not eating out off her bowl
but rather me hand feed her. I believe she is enoughing all this attention and prefer for it to stay
this way.

Bea

Edited by tiera11, 03 October 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,968 posts
Bea, when I go home tonight I will send you a couple of links to other groups that might be able to help Roxy...I don't have them here at work...

Keep up the good work, you sound strong...Roxy is in good hands...

tiera11

tiera11
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Thanks Judy, i will be looking out for that link to other organizations. I am trying to be strong for
Roxy sake. so far, i am reaching out but everyone wants to know who have i reach out to and
what are they willing to help out with. I am getting a bit frustrated about everything. Time is going
by so fast and my Roxy needs help. I am pleading with you folks to please reach out to us.

Bea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users