Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Hunney: Golden with Heartworm

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

View PostTigresMeow, on 04 May 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

We have a place here (in Waco, TX) that offers not only low cost/free spaying and neutering, they also offer HW meds at a reduced price.  You might want to see if there is something like that in your area.

Also, I think they are offering a generic HW med now that can be filled at your local WalMart.  You might want to ask your vet about that.

I have 9 dogs in my crew and I know how expensive it can be for HW meds. It costs me roughly $65/month for mine but no matter what else is going on, I make sure they get their HW med.  Plus I also buy HW meds for someone I know that cannot afford it.  

I am so happy Hunney gets to start her treatment.  It is very important that she is kept quiet but in no time she will be back to her usual self.  The angels here at IMOM are simply amazing.  They prove time and time again that miracles can and do happen.
Tigersmeow; thanks that would be helpful I am going to talk to my vet on Monday bout this. Even though I have bought her a year supply its good to have a more affordable place where I can keep up on it. Regaurdless I will NEVER miss a dose again :)

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
Tomorrow is the big day...I know that you are nervous about it but don't worry, we'll be here with you both in spirit and thought...

Hunney needs to have this treatment and I know that you'll be there to make sure that everything goes well....looking forward to hearing how things go

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks Judy! We dropped hunney off at 930 promptly this am. The vet was going to give her the first injection. Since I have not heard anything I am assured it went well! However it is an animal hospital so they are open late. If I do not hear from Dr Cindy or Dr Teresa I will call and see how she is doing. At the vet this am she weighed 90lbs that is up 6 lbs in like 3 weeks. Guess I know where the kids food is going now :). Will let you know how she is as soon as I get update!

Mandi & Sophi

Mandi & Sophi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Good to hear she's going in with hope! :D

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Update.: hunney had first injection last night and did well! She is due for her second injection at 1130 today. We r picking her up between 430~6pm today. We r excited to get her home and will keep yall posted :)

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
Hoping to hear the hunney is home soon and all is going WELL....

I know it's going to be hard for the kids to understand that she has to sleep and be quiet...but...SOON she's going to be her old happy self again...can't wait to hear that news.

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks Judy I cant wait either! We brought her home last night and I put my blanket from my bed on the floor I didn't want her to jumpup. She laid on it and other than short trips to the bathroom hasn't moved. She has yet to eat anything and has only had a few sips of water this am :( just keeping a watch on her. In speaking w the vet she says hunney only needs the two injections she has already recieved so I am thankful for this. She will be rechecked in 6 months for heartwom again. It was so adorable last night my youngest boy went in and laid beside how cute. I left them be as they were just snugglin hope yall have a gr8 and blessed day!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
Hoping that hunney is still resting but perked up just a little...we know she needs to remain quiet so a few days of rest is exactly what she needs right now...

how sweet to read your son was snuggling with her...

How long does she have to be "quiet".....also, good to read that only two treatments are required.....

THANKS for the updates...please keep us posted on how she's doing...

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
With my chow mix, she had to be crated (to make sure she stayed very quiet-no running or jumping or playing) with only short leash walks for 6 weeks after her last injection, plus vet checks and blood tests.  Keeping Hunney quiet and still is very important, and she won't know she has to do it!  What did the vet say about her activity?
'
Judy G.

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Judy, the vet told me she has to remain calm for like 2 months. She has done well laying in my bedroom on a blanket. However, I may have to crate her because she is getting stir crazy and its only been two days. :(. She still hasn't even eaten a whole bowl of food but is drinking fine. My vet did not mention any bloodwork just followup heartworm test at 6 months. What bloodwork did yr chow require Judy G?? If u cd remember that will be gr8. Going to call tomorrow and speak w vet anyway regaurding poor appetite. Not sure how long this should last?  Gave her an ear of corn from dinner and she loved that!

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
It was heartworm testing and I think it was done before 6 months, but it was 8 years ago, so my memory is faulty.  :)   I think we may have gone every 8 weeks for a checkup?  The rescue (affiliated with the vet) was paying for the treatment, as she was HW+ when I adopted her, so I didn't care how often I had to take her!

I did have to crate her, though, because she was still young-just less than a year and wanting to run and play.

Judy G.

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Awwe thanks Judy how sweet r u to rescue dogs! Hunney is doing okay today I had to crate her thought and she got sick :(.  She will be seeing more of the crate when I am not home and since she tries to push her luck! Lol. She is outside next to kids on small run and laying in the grass. Her appetite remains poor however some soft food and my little guy enticed her to eat so she ate bout a quarter of a bowl. She is drinking and voiding well. Im keeping a close eye on her.

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Awwe thanks Judy how sweet r u to rescue dogs! Hunney is doing okay today I had to crate her thought and she got sick :(.  She will be seeing more of the crate when I am not home and since she tries to push her luck! Lol. She is outside next to kids on small run and laying in the grass. Her appetite remains poor however some soft food and my little guy enticed her to eat so she ate bout a quarter of a bowl. She is drinking and voiding well. Im keeping a close eye on her.

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Update: hunney's appetite has increased she ate half a bowl of food today. I didn't post yesterday because my migranes r back! I forgot how much pain they cause me urrgh! Back to hunney she is doing better and her energy level is increasing she is not liking the crate idea but its what we have to do . Won't be long before she can run and play again like 5 more weeks..

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Update: hunney's appetite has increased she ate half a bowl of food today. I didn't post yesterday because my migranes r back! I forgot how much pain they cause me urrgh! Back to hunney she is doing better and her energy level is increasing she is not liking the crate idea but its what we have to do . Won't be long before she can run and play again like 5 more weeks..

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
YAY Hunney...so glad her appetite is coming back...but you know, she's been thru a lot...

I saw that you fed her corn...I wouldn't give her the cob...I don't think she can digest that...I know you wanted her to eat, but cut it off the cob if you give her corn...you sure don't want any more problems...

I used to get migraines so I know how terrible they are...I am so lucky, they stopped about 20 yrs. ago...what a relief...my niece has them all the time and no relief for her...

I can see hunney in the crate...they are so pathetic, aren't they??  But, you're right...only a few more weeks and she's going to be ALL GOOD AGAIN...ready to play.....YAY...

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Very true Judy bout migranes...ouch! Hunney is still in the crate almost all day I know its best but I feel very bad for her! Only 5 weeks and counting gave her iverhart today because she was due and vet said give it! Case has been closed by imom however I will stay part of community bc you all are a great bunch of people and will be an angel myself soon hopefully:) thanksyou all for yr support, encouragement, wisdom and funding we couldn't have done it without U! Big hugs coming yr way from Christine, hunney and boysss!

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Hunney's appetite remains poor and yes she is hating the crating :(  other wise she is doing okay. Hope yall r well :) will keep u posted bout her status.

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Update. Hunney's appetite is gone she eats nothing and drinking is poor too! I will be carrying her back to the vet because she has only eaten a few bites these past few days. The kids tried to fed her and this usaually works but didn't with her yesterday :(  She has remained very calm and been allowed to rest.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
I am sending positive thoughts and prayers that the vet can figure out what is going on...please let us know when you return...

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
Please let the committee (and your caseworker) know as well what is going on with Hunney.  Could it be simply that she's depressed in the crate? Just a thought.....  Hopefully its nothing related to the heartworm and its something simple.    Have you tried any human food? Or nilla wafers? or anything besides dog food stuff or dog treats? Maybe she needs some fluid to perk her up.   Hmmmm I really hope its something that isn't critical.  And I hope its not the HW.

Melissa/IMOM

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
checking in to see how the trip to the vet went...positive thoughts and prayers are still being sent your way.....

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
hoping all is getting better with your Hunney! sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
Just checking in again...I was sent this link for you to read from a dear friend of IMOM's...Jean...she is very active in rescue...and she saw Hunney's thread

This is what Jean wrote

Can you pass along Mila's blog to Honey's person...

http://bigdogsbighea...m.blogspot.com/

Read bottom up: http://bigdogsbighea...01_archive.html

Hope it helps.

Jean

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
Hoping no news is good news for Hunney, but getting worried...

Judy G.

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks everyone its been chaotic sorry for the late response. Hunney ate a small bowl of rice and chicken soup yesterday. She vomitted a little of it up :( . The vet says her appetite is poor because of the treatment and wants me to keep encouraginging her. I will try nilla wafers didn't think of that. She is gliding though..thankgosh. maybe she is depressed but she has mainly been in my bedroom sleeping on a comforter so her activity level has been like little to none. Going to call the vet in the am after my sons MD appt and see what she says because tonite I noticed a large hematoma at the injection site. This appears to be painful to her and I'm not sure if applying heat or ice is appropriate because of the meds. So going to find out and will keep you all posted. Judy thanks for passing on jeans blog . We r lucky because of the shortage of the medicine that we got it and thankful. We are hoping she pulls thru this but she looks and seems sicker now than directly after treatment. Yes it all makes sense since heartworms are dying just trying to help her feel better :k

Forusmom

Forusmom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 194 posts
Thoughts and prayers being sent that Hunney improves ASAP.
So sorry to hear she is having a hard time.
I will keep her in my prayers, and I am confident my little monkey will also!

Jamie K. - IMOM

Jamie K. - IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Committee Volunteer
  • 1,445 posts
So sorry to hear that Hunney is having difficulties.  I hope she will be all right.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
Hang in there...we'll look at the brighter side of things...Hunney is resting and that's the most important right now...if she would eat a little more we'd be thrilled but at least she's eating...the boiled rice and chicken (or ground chuck) are gentle on her tummy...

Could the meds she on be making her nauseated?

When you call the vet about the hematoma, ask if the meds could be upsetting her stomach...

I hope that in the next few days she starts improving.....does the vet seem concerned?

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Judy, I took her to vet today and they started her on antimedics for nausea so hopefully she eat more. Today she has refused all the rice and chicken. The vet tried to offer her a biscuit and soft food and she declined them both. Her appetite is virtually nonexistent and she is living on nilla wafers...:) better than nothing! They also started her on an antinflammatory for the hematoma at the injection site..also applying ice is what my vet recommended. Judy after reading some more into jeans blog I feel horrible! There are so many things I didn't know or do. I never had her rest before her treatment and she only took a two week course of doxacycline before injections vs a month. Nothing I can do about that but after reading her blog I realize fast kill is no longer done to treat heartworm and that's what they did for hunney. I asked my vet and she said this is the method my clinic uses. Not trying to rant just hope hunney is okay after all this :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users