Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Alexis and Silas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Alexis and Silas

Alexis and Silas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello pet lovers!

A little about me:

My name is Alexis and I'm a full-time student at UNC Wilmington. I'm originally from New York, but I currenly live in North Carolina. I'm kind of stuck here at the moment without any family connections so I try to be optimistic about most everything. I'm currently unemployed, but I go to church and volunteer in the daycare. I spend a lot of my time in my books, extracurricular activities, and with Silas.

My little man:

SIlas, is the apple of my eye. I got SIlas when he was 14 lbs and 8 weeks old. He is now about to turn 4 years old this Friday, April 20th. He is an American Pitbull weighing about 65lbs and stand kind of tall. His blood line is Colby, Zebo, and Razors Edge. He is jet black with a white chest and toes, as if he were wearing a tuexedo.

Our story:

I got Silas right around my 21st birthday as a gift for myself. I was in an abusive relationship at the time and it seemed unethical to get a pet at the time, but in my heart, I knew this puppy would help me get away. Silas became my forever and ever relationship. I carried him in every store possible until I couldn't carry him anymore! Literally! When I left my abuser, Silas kept my spirits up. He is the only one that gets so excited to see me and honest to God... to know that there is someone that actually shows that unconditional love for me makes me get through each day. A year ago this past February I was in a car accident and Silas was in the vehical as well. I remember freaking out like a mom worrying if he was okay. I wouldn't let the paramedics take me to the hospital until I knew my dog was in safe hands. This man in some fancy sports car (who was a retired paramedic) took Silas in his car and stayed with him outside the hospital until I was dischagred. Silas always seemed to get more attention than me lol.

He was recently diagnosed with a Ruptured Cranial Cruciate Ligament and I've been praying that I could accommodate the funding. I really don't know what I would do without the only family I have left.

Attached Files

A l e x i s - a n d - S i l a s

JamesWilletts

JamesWilletts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
HI, Alexis -

First of all, check out the humane society's webpage, and take a look at the many organizations that there are to help with financial aid.  Apply for all of them.  Some are even specific to certain breeds of dogs.  I've worked closely with Pinups for Pit Bulls, so you can contact them for input or leads & tell them James from Boston sent you.

The IMOM application process is (in my opinion), quite rigorous, but it is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT worth it.  Be diligent.

I just posted to another new member about the importance of doing whatever it takes.  When our baby was sick, I started our own fundraiser to at least get the ball rolling while we waited for word from the vet, IMOM, and the many, many other organizations that we applied for.  I was even afraid of getting lost in the mail and would check in on my status almost daily.  We reached out to friends, family, co-workers & colleagues for anything they could donate (goods, services, money) to help us get our boy home.  I have even read stories on the IMOM forum about children in the families of these pets in need holding bake sales, hanging posters all over town, and even selling their own personal items to raise money for their furry friend.  There are many websites with information on how to raise funds and effectively utilize your networks and methods of communication to make amazing progress for Silas.

He is very, very special, so I am sure he has many other two-legged friends.  It's time to reach out to them.  Your friends on Facebook, your co-workers....  everyone.  You will be amazed at how many people will rally for an animal.

Anything is possible, and this is a place of miracles.  Never, ever give up.

Even though not everyone can see past the bad reputation of Pit Bulls I am especially proud of you for realizing the gentleness & love by Silas's special breed and welcoming him into your life.

- James
--

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

Alexis and Silas

Alexis and Silas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you James sincerely! I actually went to the Humane Society page and I am a little lost on what you're referring me to. Would you mind telling me where I can find the area in which you're referring to?

I've been networking quite a bit. I feel like I'm getting no results. I've sold a few things on craigs list, I'm trying to find another job since I lost mine, I've applied to 3 other organizations, I was denied by two personal loans I applied for, CareCredit didn't give me a very generous line of credit, and I have reached out to friends and had some positive feedback. I recently went to one of the pastors at my church, I'm praying to hear back from him with some positive feedback.

Please let me know about the Humane Society web site... or did you just mean for me to call them? If so I can do that during business hours for sure!!

Thank you again!!

Huckleberry Hound

Huckleberry Hound

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 419 posts
Hi Alexis,

Have you tried The Mosby Foundation based in Virginia?  Like IMOM, they help dogs, on a national basis.  I've often wished they helped cats, too, but unfortunately they are strictly an assistance program for dogs.

They seem geared to helping with surgeries such as Silas needs.
Pick the Adoption Option - Rescue One in Need

Alexis and Silas

Alexis and Silas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for taking interest in my thread! I will look into that source. My mind is on overload from all the documents and paperwork I'll do anything for Silas.

I don't know too much about cats, but I hope and pray for the best! I'm sure plenty of people here on iMOM will give you some wonderful sources. I've had several people point me in the right direction between iMOM and craigslist. Go to craigslist discussions under pets. Make a simple post and within minutes people respond. Wait a full day and see what your feedback looks like. When you feel like you've researched all the possible sources you'll come to find that people will place more opportunities in your hands.

Best wishes!! :)

Alexis and Silas

Alexis and Silas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Recent updates on Silas. He had his first surgery Wednesday morning and we were able to pick him up today. He was running around as if nothing happened. I was happy to see him in a good mood but of course I had to try and keep him calm. I had a cash job working at the bike rally in town this weekend and when I came home he was very content. Shortly after.. He started to lick his fresh stitches and I have spent the last 2 hours trying to keep him calm and stop the bleeding. Bless his heart. I finally got it  under control with a cold wash cloth. I got some clean bandages and bandaging tape and wrapped his leg to prevent anymore bleeding. The night has been tiring for the both of us. We are off to bed! Thank you again iMOM for your donation. Soon Silas will be completely healed and his happy and wildly crazy self.

Mandi & Sophi

Mandi & Sophi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi there Alexis! Do you have a cone for Silas? It will keep him from licking his stitches. He may not be thrilled about it, but rather him be slightly unhappy than busting open his surgery wound. I would strongly suggest going to your vet and requesting one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users