Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

introducing myself

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello everyone,  I am Joyce and my baby is Duke. He is a Australian Sheppard mixed with Chihuahua. He is 3 yrs old and needs to have surgery done to his leg.  I am trying to find a vet in washington that will work with IMOM.  Does anyone know of a vet that is in the Seattle, Bellevue, Renton area that will work with IMOM??  He is in alot of pain and has a broken Femur is what I was told without havn the X-Rays taken.  

Thank you,

Joyce

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
I wish I wasn't so old, as memory is not what it use to be.  IMOM has had several cases a few years ago and there was a most compassionate vet in that area who worked with IMOM.    I'm going to the happy endings to see if it will trigger this old tired brain of mine.  If I'm remembering well, the case was a great dane.  The vet was one amazing woman.

I'm trying to picture what an aussie shepherd crossed with chi would look like.  How did your baby get hurt?
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

View PostCatPaws, on 14 April 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

I wish I wasn't so old, as memory is not what it use to be.  IMOM has had several cases a few years ago and there was a most compassionate vet in that area who worked with IMOM.    I'm going to the happy endings to see if it will trigger this old tired brain of mine.  If I'm remembering well, the case was a great dane.  The vet was one amazing woman.

I'm trying to picture what an aussie shepherd crossed with chi would look like.  How did your baby get hurt?

I let him out to go to the bathroom and when he came back in after about 30 mins or so he came in limping and cryn to me. I took him to the hospital at ACCESS down the hill and was told that he broke his Femur. I have been giving him tramadol for his pain but I dont know  what else or where else I can take him. I found this site and am trying to apply for the Financial Aid but, I dont know of a Vet that will take IMOM.  Every where I call says they dont work with them,.. I cannot believe how these hospitals are man, They just want to get payed and dont give a rats @@@  if you know what I mean about the animal at all it seems like.  They look at him and say that it is broken but wont do any kind of X-Rays without $200.00 bucks!!  That is so Insane!!

Joyce

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
I know this is very hard.  Do as many of the steps as you can, and send an email to gf@imom.org asking if they remember the case I am thinking about, or might be able to provide a lead on some vets in the area who worked with IMOM before.  The archive doesn't go far enough back in time (that I am able to see).  For some reason I keep thinking the name Cascade.  Is there a Cascade Animal Hospital in that area?

Sorry I can't be of more help.  I'm on the other coast, so not as familiar with vets in your area.

You might also post on Facebook and ask as rescue organizations in the area might have leads on vets who would be more likely to shine favorable and trusting eyes on IMOM.

Edited by CatPaws, 14 April 2012 - 07:18 PM.

HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

JamesWilletts

JamesWilletts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi, Joyce -

I just wanted to send you a message to never, ever give up.  There ARE veterinarians who will work with IMOM, and I'm pretty sure there are vets who will reference IMOM as an honorable and honest, punctual organization.  

In the meantime, you can also check the humane society's webpage for other funds (some specific to dogs and even certain breeds) who will help Duke & his family.

Getting my vet to approve IMOM was a difficult battle, which ended up in a miraculous scramble by all parties with very, very little time to raise the money.  While I was in between emails (essentially waiting for responses from the vets), I had started a fundraiser on my own (learning through the web how to more effectively use social networks & other communications), and I reached out to various friends and professionals to help donate money, goods or services to help us help our child.  I have even read many heartwarming stories of children in the families holding bake sales, hanging posters all over school & town, and even selling their own precious belongings to help their pet.

You will find a way.  Make sure your IMOM documents are in order; I sat on mine and had to re-send them several times while I waited on that critical piece of paper to be faxed from the vet.  I was even prepared to play the "bad cop" with the accounting office at the vet to get them to do their part.  Anything for my baby.

I am thinking about you and wishing you the best of luck.  I am available if you need help with any logistics.  I even had to teach myself how to send a fax to IMOM using the internet from the back of a moving van, so I am telling you:  Anything is possible.

- James
--

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi james,

I have checked the website and I also took him to Banefileds hospital in Pet smart here in Renton and they told me the same and they dont work with IMOM!  I dunno why I am having such a hard time finding a VET that will work with IMOM!  Also I have not heard from IMOM about my application.  I am going to send an Email to them like you said though.  Duke seems to be getting worse now, he is not eating or drinkng he is loosing weight. becoming very skinny and unhappy.  I am trying my hardest to get him the help and just keep getting shot down!  

Joyce

View PostJamesWilletts, on 16 April 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Hi, Joyce -

I just wanted to send you a message to never, ever give up.  There ARE veterinarians who will work with IMOM, and I'm pretty sure there are vets who will reference IMOM as an honorable and honest, punctual organization.  

In the meantime, you can also check the humane society's webpage for other funds (some specific to dogs and even certain breeds) who will help Duke & his family.

Getting my vet to approve IMOM was a difficult battle, which ended up in a miraculous scramble by all parties with very, very little time to raise the money.  While I was in between emails (essentially waiting for responses from the vets), I had started a fundraiser on my own (learning through the web how to more effectively use social networks & other communications), and I reached out to various friends and professionals to help donate money, goods or services to help us help our child.  I have even read many heartwarming stories of children in the families holding bake sales, hanging posters all over school & town, and even selling their own precious belongings to help their pet.

You will find a way.  Make sure your IMOM documents are in order; I sat on mine and had to re-send them several times while I waited on that critical piece of paper to be faxed from the vet.  I was even prepared to play the "bad cop" with the accounting office at the vet to get them to do their part.  Anything for my baby.

I am thinking about you and wishing you the best of luck.  I am available if you need help with any logistics.  I even had to teach myself how to send a fax to IMOM using the internet from the back of a moving van, so I am telling you:  Anything is possible.

- James

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,498 posts
Make sure you have emailed IMOM at gf@imom.org, because they do not come to the forum often.  They may be able to talk to one of the vets you contacted and reassure them about IMOM, and even refer them to other vets (maybe not in Washington) that HAVE worked with IMOM who can provide a testimonial.  Have you gone through the phone book and called vets in your areas and asked them about IMOM?  That might be a place to start.  

It may be hard for IMOM to respond to your application if there is not a vet willing to work with them.  I would email them, and start phoning vets.  I think somewhere on here Pat laid out how to call the vet's office and what to say.  Let me see if I can find it.

Judy G.

Edited by Judy G, 24 April 2012 - 04:08 PM.

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Judy,

Ok, I have found a VET here in Renton that is willing to work with IMOM!  Yeah Finally!!  There is a GOD!!  Ok, so he has his first appt tomorrow at 12:30PM,and I will bring him the papers (VPIF) form to have him fill it out.  and I have contacted DSHS to get my award letter sent to me so I can send that in for income veriification.  and I am waiting for my fiance's SSI award letter also.  Man, this sure is alot of work to get done, but this is my baby and Momma will do anything she can for him to get fixed!  Thank you for all the help with getting this started.

Joyce

View PostJudy G, on 24 April 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

Make sure you have emailed IMOM at gf@imom.org, because they do not come to the forum often.  They may be able to talk to one of the vets you contacted and reassure them about IMOM, and even refer them to other vets (maybe not in Washington) that HAVE worked with IMOM who can provide a testimonial.  Have you gone through the phone book and called vets in your areas and asked them about IMOM?  That might be a place to start.  

It may be hard for IMOM to respond to your application if there is not a vet willing to work with them.  I would email them, and start phoning vets.  I think somewhere on here Pat laid out how to call the vet's office and what to say.  Let me see if I can find it.

Judy G.

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,498 posts
Yay for Duke and his mom!  I am so glad you were able to find a vet.  Good luck with the application process.

Hang in there!

Judy G.

Edited by Judy G, 24 April 2012 - 05:54 PM.

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok, I took him to the VET DR WOOD here in renton at Animal Healthcare Center, and I got a Estimate now and have not heard from anyone yet.  so, I am still waiting to hear from someone on what I need to do next.

Joyce

View PostJudy G, on 24 April 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

Yay for Duke and his mom!  I am so glad you were able to find a vet.  Good luck with the application process.

Hang in there!

Judy G.

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,498 posts
If you and the vet have sent everything in, I am sure you will hear soon.  If you need to ask IMOM a question, be sure to email them at gf@imom.org, as the volunteers do not read the forum regularly.

How is Duke doing?

Judy G.

Edited by Judy G, 27 April 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Alexis and Silas

Alexis and Silas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Oh Joyce.. That's such a stressful situation. Have you tried sitting down with a phone book and calling vet offices back to back? Maybe resort to your closest university.
A l e x i s - a n d - S i l a s

Forusmom

Forusmom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 194 posts
Is there an update on Duke?
I'm just checking in, hoping  everything is going well for you both , and he will soon be on the road to recovery.

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Everyone,

I have been working hard on getting everything ready for the application.  I am trying to get a DSHS award letter for my self and a SSI award letter for my fiance.  That is becoming the hardest task to get taken care of.  I have done the VPIF form with the VET and have been denied for Care Credit.  Duke has been given some Tramadol, and Miloxicam for the pain until he gets fixed  hopefuly.   As soon as I can get the forms sent to me then I will be sending them in to IMOM.  Thank you everyone for all of your help and care. We appreciate it grately.

Joyce n Duke

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello everyone,

I have filled out all the forms and have requested the application in order for my baby duke to be fixed.  I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about fundraising for him and his surgery bill?  If I knew where to begin I would definitely get started as soon as possible.  He is still very depressed and will not eat anything or drink.  I have tried to give him treats also just to get him to eat something and he is just turning everything down.  He wont walk around like he used too or anything.  Just lay around and wither away.  

Joyce

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,498 posts
If you are approved, IMOM sets up the fundraising thread, and then you need to share it as much as possible (Facebook, Twitter, friends, etc.) and post a lot on Duke's thread, talking about him and keeping everyone updated-tell stories about why he is special, etc.  

Judy G.

Mandi & Sophi

Mandi & Sophi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble. I can't see any reason why any vet would be NOT Willing to work  with IMOM. Have you given a copy of the payment policy to your vet to ease any concerns? That would be my recommendation. Best of luck to you and duke!

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi

I hope you hear back from IMOM soon. The good part is that once you are approved, the Angels that donate and cheerlead for you will be going out 100% because they know that IMOM had done its homework.

After you check and make sure you have sent everything- check your spam folder- sometimes the emails wind up there.

Then come back here and post, post, post. Post pictures - tell your story- help eveyrone fall in love with Duke so when you are ready to fundraise, you will have people waiting to donate.

Everything happens for a reason- when my kitty got hit by a car and was gone for seven days, I took her to the vet placeI have gone to for 30 years. They called me the next day and said to pts and they did not have time to treat her ! I spent the day on the phone and found a wonderful place to take her- they have a whole floor devoted to emergency care with iits own staff and operating rooms..board certified vets on the premises 24 hours a day,,,they saved her life. I would have never found them if my former vet had not been so awful to me

Hang in there Better days are coiming

Kath

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello everyone,

just checkn in with you all.  How ids everyone?  We are doing ok. Duke is finaly starting to eat a lil bit and drink some water.  I have posted a pic of us on the Gallery, if you would  like to meet my baby and fall in love with him also.  We are now waiting to hear back from IMOM.  We have submitted all the forms and I have contacted the VET and let her know that IMOM is waiting on the VPIF form and estimate.  then we will be ready to FUNDRAISE!!  anyways have a good nite everyone.

Joyce n DukersAttached File  momma n duke.jpg   203.3K   9 downloads

Forusmom

Forusmom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 194 posts
Duke is precious!
I am so happy he is eating , and hope your approval is received shortly so he can receive the treatment he needs to complete his recovery ,and repair that leg.
My thoughts and prayers are with you both !
Dawn

Mandi & Sophi

Mandi & Sophi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Glad to hear he is doing better and that you found a reasonable vet. Only a fool of a veterinarian would be unwilling to work with these wonderful, on top if it people!

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
We are waiting for Duke to be approvd so the cheerleading can begin !

Hang in there Duke

Kathy

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Everyone,

Just checking in and letting everyone know still havent heard anything about duke.  But, we are being patient and hopefully it will happen at the right time.  

Joyce n DukeAttached File  dukers.jpg   20.72K   5 downloads

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Everyone,

How is everybody?  Hows the weekend going so far for all??  We are just hanging at the house today making some yummy Pork Chops and rice.  Still have not heard anything yet but thought that I would let duke say hi again to everyone.
Attached File  dukers 2.jpg   18.88K   2 downloads

View Postdukesmomma, on 04 May 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

Hello Everyone,

Just checking in and letting everyone know still havent heard anything about duke.  But, we are being patient and hopefully it will happen at the right time.  

Joyce n DukeAttachment dukers.jpg

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Everyone,

Just updateing on dukers.  Nothng has happend so far.  He is still the same depressed doggie. He has started to eat a little bit more. And the Vet has given him some pain meds that seem to be helping his pain at least.  well I hope you all have a great day,

Joyce n Dukers

View Postdukesmomma, on 05 May 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Hello Everyone,

How is everybody?  Hows the weekend going so far for all??  We are just hanging at the house today making some yummy Pork Chops and rice.  Still have not heard anything yet but thought that I would let duke say hi again to everyone.
Attachment dukers 2.jpg

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
Joyce, you first posted on April 14th that Duke needed surgery, then you found a vet that would work with IMOM and we still dont' know if you got your paperwork in for financial aid...

Duke needs to to help him...

Did you apply for assistance from IMOM?

Did you check with the vet to see if they faxed in their required paperwork?

Did you check with IMOM to see if they received all the information they need?

You need to do that immediately...Duke is counting on you to help him get well again, he can't do it on his own.

Here is the link for the step by step directions to see if you qualify for help from IMOM.

http://www.imom.org/fa/index.htm

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hell;o Everyone,

Ok everything is done now for the help from IMOM>  But, Get this now duke is walking on his leg!!!  He just started to last night and has been ever since.  He wont run on it yet but he is walking on it.  HMMM  Now what is happening??  He is eating, drinking and walking and running again. this is way weird !!!  

Joyce

View PostJudy, on 08 May 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Joyce, you first posted on April 14th that Duke needed surgery, then you found a vet that would work with IMOM and we still dont' know if you got your paperwork in for financial aid...

Duke needs to to help him...

Did you apply for assistance from IMOM?

Did you check with the vet to see if they faxed in their required paperwork?

Did you check with IMOM to see if they received all the information they need?

You need to do that immediately...Duke is counting on you to help him get well again, he can't do it on his own.

Here is the link for the step by step directions to see if you qualify for help from IMOM.

http://www.imom.org/fa/index.htm

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Everyone,

Well, Duke is getting better everyday now YEAH!!!!  I dont think that he is gonna need to have surgery after all.  He is walking on the leg now no problem and sometimes he even runs on it now.  I believe that he is healing perfectly now.  Thank you everyone for all the prayers and info for the help that he did need.  He is healing up on his own now.  Not needing pain meds any longer either.  He is back to his old crazy spunky self now.  

Joyce nDuke

View Postdukesmomma, on 09 May 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

Hell;o Everyone,

Ok everything is done now for the help from IMOM>  But, Get this now duke is walking on his leg!!!  He just started to last night and has been ever since.  He wont run on it yet but he is walking on it.  HMMM  Now what is happening??  He is eating, drinking and walking and running again. this is way weird !!!  

Joyce

dukesmomma

dukesmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Everyone.

Well Duke has healed pretty much completely.  I am going to sign up as a volunteer for IMOM myself.  I would like to join IMOM so I can help out with the fundraising for the animals.  I myself love my baby boy DUKE!! He has healed up completely and is happier than ever now.  Thank you to everyone for all of your prayers for him!!!  He is so happy now and so am I!!!!   Take Care all!!!

Joyce n Dukers

View Postdukesmomma, on 11 May 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Hello Everyone,

Well, Duke is getting better everyday now YEAH!!!!  I dont think that he is gonna need to have surgery after all.  He is walking on the leg now no problem and sometimes he even runs on it now.  I believe that he is healing perfectly now.  Thank you everyone for all the prayers and info for the help that he did need.  He is healing up on his own now.  Not needing pain meds any longer either.  He is back to his old crazy spunky self now.  

Joyce nDuke

Mandi & Sophi

Mandi & Sophi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
I didn't know it was possible to sign up as a volunteer! I will definitely have to look into that because I wanted to do something similar, but didn't think I could.  Glad your baby is doing better, Joyce! Best future wished to both of you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users