Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

hello help for hunney!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi my name is Christine and I am a single mother of four who lost my job almost a year ago. About a month ago I got my 4 year old golden spayed and she came up heartworm positive. My children and I are just trying to save the only girl in my family ..she is a love and is still so going with so much love left to give. I am in hopes that we can save my only girl hunney! just added pics of precious hunney! the bottom pic is a little older but are the five most important entities in my life..

Attached Files

Edited by rn1999ma, 13 April 2012 - 11:39 AM.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
I am so sorry about your hunney...

Please read the financial aid information I am going to post for you...follow the step by step instructions and begin as soon as you read this...

http://www.imom.org/fa/index.htm

also, apply to:

Red Rover

Onyx and Breezy

IF you're in California

Actors 4 Animals (or for)

You can find all of these with an Internet search and you'll need the same paperwork for IMOM...so begin immediately....

Please know that once the heartworm is treatment Hunney will need to be on preventative....your vet will consul you on that.

GOOD LUCK.....

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,788 posts
Hi

Apply right away so IMOM can help you. And post, post, post. Lots of people read and don't post- but they are there- watching and helping and donating

Kathy

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks Judy and Kathy I am looking and following steps to help save our precious hunney!

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,788 posts
Once you are approved for fundraising, you will see how fast it all can happen. After you get your paperwok submitted, come back and tell stories and post pictures. Take a look at Oscars thread - IMOM Angels love pictures and stories. Help us all in love with  Hunney

Kathy

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks Kathy I have plenty of pics of our girl but am having difficulty posting from my phone but will figure it out :) bringing hunney tomorrow as she developed a bad cough last night :( ..will definently keep u posted thanks for info and help.. what an amazing organization for a good cause! Hunney may not qualify if vet doesn't deem her condition life threatning but either way props to these people !

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks Kathy I have plenty of pics of our girl but am having difficulty posting from my phone but will figure it out :) bringing hunney tomorrow as she developed a bad cough last night :( ..will definently keep u posted thanks for info and help.. what an amazing organization for a good cause! Hunney may not qualify if vet doesn't deem her condition life threatning but either way props to these people !

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
I can't imagine that your vet won't consider heartworm life threatening...it is extremely serious...GOOD LUCK tomorrow...and....no matter what the vet says I would still contact IMOM with your information and the other organizations I suggested...

you cannot leave heartworm untreated.....

positive thoughts for tomorrows vet visit...please let us know as soon as you get home if possible...we will all be with you in spirit.

Oscar&Loki

Oscar&Loki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Good luck! I'm in the process of getting donations for my Oscar (3 year old sick kitty) I'm inthe same boat. I thought it was overwhelming at first, but as soon as everything went though, it was smoothe sailing and the results have been absolutely amazing! Stick to it and I hope you get everything you need for your Hunny!!
:luck:

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks the support has already been amazing..my 6 yr old asked me why hunneyss coughing so much could we give her cough medicine gotta love kids! I told him she has a cold because he is too little to understand..going to get paperwork from vet and pray..my house is full of boys and the only estrogen balance I have is from my hunney..she is truly my baby girl I didn't birth..after loosing a cocked spaniel to a car accident 10 yrs ago I thought I wd never get that close to a pet again but hunney was different ..she stop my heart from the moment I rescued her from her abusive environment and I promised to do her better..I have except for missing like only two months of prevention ..it will never happen again because the treatment is painful and I am aware of this but so is untreated heartworm as she is showing signs of coughing and shortness of breath..thanks for your support and prayers I will keep u all posted !

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
Hoping you've been to the vet and has something to go on for hunney...it takes a little bit to process your paperwork and we want hunney to get well SOON.....

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Update, hunney went to vet and had repeat heartworm test..this will tell what stage she is in. Vet told me to give her iverhart which made her a little sick:( she also started antibiotics and steroids for her cough as well. Will know more on Monday.. I am kinda torn on slow kill or fast kill of course I want what's best but fast kill is painful and involves injections into her spine. Then its so toxic she can not jump around for 40 days! Does anyone here have a dog they have had treated for heartworm? I'm so nervous for her:(

Bina and Peda

Bina and Peda

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 162 posts
Hi Christine, so sorry to hear about poor little Hunney.  My parents found a stay dog maybe 5 years ago (actually from what everyone said she was from a puppy mill and they just took her to town and let her loose).  When they determined no one was going to claim this girl, they decided they would keep her as part of the family.  They took her to the vet and found out she was heart worm positive.  The did pay for the treatment needed and I'll tell you for a couple of months she really was a sick little girl.  She did make a full recovery and has been a great addition to the family.

Hunney will be sick and just lay around during her treatment but hopefully she will make a full recovery and bring you and your family joy for many years.

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
My chow mix was HW+ when I adopted her, and went through the 3 injection, 6 weeks of crate rest regimen.  She was crate trained, and she adjusted very well to being crated full time, except for short leash walks during the day.  She never appeared sick other than being sore after the first injection, and she did very well, but she was a young dog (less than 2).  She is now 8 and has had no problems since the treatment.  I also know a lot of rescues opt for the slow kill treatment, especially recently when there have been shortages of the drug needed for the injection.  

Judy G.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
I had a friend who's rough collie was heartworm positive when she got her.  She was 3 yrs. old at the time and got the injections every six weeks with the cage rest in between and getting monitored and out only for potty breaks and she is now 6 yrs. old and a beautiful, happy, healthy girl.

Please keep us posted and let us know what is going to happen next.....

Did the vet consider hunney for IMOM?

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for the response guess its going to depend on what vet says..hunney is still young only a little over 4 she is crate trained  and it has been a long time since I put her in it.. as far as leash walks she does good with them.. the steroids and antibiotics have been making her tummy sick and her appetite is poor..but vet says antibiotic will help with bug attached to heartworm. So we are taking it easy and relaxing. Thanks for the word of encouragement and I will let you all know on Monday what treatment vet wants to do..I hope she does ok w it and doesn't get any sicker :) . She jumped on my bed this am and snuggled me see we always make each other feel better!

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Judy, I gave vet imom paperwork and she is. Reviewing paperwork and wants to look at what stage of infection she has to decide what treatment.. for now keeping our fingers crossed and if its slow kill I believe I will be able to afford the treatment :) ..

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
update: hunney had another positive heartworm test. vet can not tell how advanced it is and will do chest xray to determine if she has advanced disease. if this is the case hunney will need 3 injections vs 4. On a more positive note she is doing better on the steroids and antibiotics. her cough is completly resolved. vpif given to vet and they are willing to work with imom..hoping she qualifies!

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
if anyone can help it is imom.....and remember if approved ,keep giving stories about your hunney-so cute!

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks dmmwilke keeping our fingers crossed all necessary forms done and submitted yesterday..hunney's cough is gone and she played in the water tonite. I have fun just spraying hose for her she loves it! Will keep yall posted

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Update: we got all our paperwork in and am just waiting to hear if we qualify or not..however hunney is not eating much at all :( and last night started with some somewhat..this is new as she sleeps w me every nite so watching her closely for any respiratory difficulty!

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
is there any word of her getting approved or not?????

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Update: we got all our paperwork in and am just waiting to hear if we qualify or not..however hunney is not eating much at all :( and last night started with some somewhat..this is new as she sleeps w me every nite so watching her closely for any respiratory difficulty!

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Not yet and not sure how I double posted..just waiting now ;)

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
fingers and paws crossed for you!!!

Huckleberry Hound

Huckleberry Hound

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 366 posts
just asking because it's a step it seems some people miss:  after submitting the paperwork, did you ask for the application?  IMOM volunteers are usually really quick.
Pick the Adoption Option - Rescue One in Need

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
No red rover I did miss that step thanks for keeping us on our paws and toes :) Christine and hunney

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Oops meant rovers raid got T9 on my phone.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
Christine...if you got your paperwork in now and you don't hear back in a day or two send an email to:

gf@imom.org

to double check that they received everything.  IMOM does not check the forums they do everything via emails so keep checking your personal emails for something from IMOM.

Good luck.....

rn1999ma

rn1999ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks Judy and rovers raid I requested documents last night just waiting now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users