Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Zoe Wilke - All Funds Raised!

• Please log in to reply
477 replies to this topic

Huckleberry Hound

Huckleberry Hound

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 419 posts

View Postdmmwilke, on 21 April 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

zoe is looking out the window (on the couch) watching the rain...kinda sad looking outside, but we will clean today!

But all the world is her stage now!

Otis says "Hi".
Pick the Adoption Option - Rescue One in Need

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
couldnt have said it better myself!!! hi otis

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
wish i could take my pups on the train ride today....can u imagine???????????????lol!!!!!!

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
little stinker goes straight back where the deer lay in our back yard. mommy still takes her by the leash and daddy gives her space, the one time i do it-she wont come back in the house.....out i go into the muddy , yucky back yard ! see ya tomorrow

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
i am in awe of HOW amazing you guys are here at imom....helping so many of our babies, and the stress of it all! i try hard to keep up with all of the forums and it can get very difficult to do, i am still trying to play catch up...and read every post-wow!!!!!!!!!!! again, you are amazing and thank you for all of the pets you have helped!!!!

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
my mom came over today and was just amazed at how great our zoe looks!!!! she gave lots of hugs and kisses out so it was so cool. my mom is totally impressed-and she said zoe is awesome!!!! i know right?

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
Wish we could see how Zoe looks...:P   Still waiting for a photo...;)

Seriously, it is great to hear how well she is doing.  And I do appreciate you sticking around and keeping us updated.  So many times we never hear back from owners after their animal's surgery, and I always wonder how they are doing.  It's also great that you decided to stick around for all the other PINs on IMOM.  Everybody needs a little encouragement and advice.

Give Zoe a kiss and a belly rub from me.

Take care,

Judy G.

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
I promise i will send some pictures soon! Dan is the one who knows how to do all of that, and hes working hard since i cant.....but soon, i promise! I love trying to help others..i wish i could offer donations, but i cant afford it-so the next best thing is to listen to people and be here for them when their pets are in need! paying it forward like everyone who has helped me!!!!thank you!

Huckleberry Hound

Huckleberry Hound

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 419 posts

View Postdmmwilke, on 26 April 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

I promise i will send some pictures soon! Dan is the one who knows how to do all of that, and hes working hard since i cant.....but soon, i promise! I love trying to help others..i wish i could offer donations, but i cant afford it-so the next best thing is to listen to people and be here for them when their pets are in need! paying it forward like everyone who has helped me!!!!thank you!

Thank you for staying with the forum and helping others who face the same fear and uncertainty that you once did.  It is amazing how few do.   I hope I'm seeing an official IMOM volunteer in the makingPosted Image

We could turn that one hour a week into a few (many) volunteer hours, couldn't we, Angels?

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
here are some pics of the girls. these pics were taken today, even though the date says 2008-we forgot to update the date on the camera, sorry. if you look closely, you can see where zoe was shaved, but her fur is growing in super fast....so proud!

Attached Files

Edited by dmmwilke, 01 May 2012 - 08:56 PM.

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
sorry the pictures were sent sooo late..but arent they worth it! My zoe girl sang to her daddy this morning ,it was so cute!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,996 posts
I LOVED the pictures...both dogs are SO lovely.....

And, I'm with the others that have thanked you for staying on IMOM...it's been mentioned but so many people say they are going to stay after their pet is well again but so few do...THANK YOU for staying and supporting the newcomers...

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
And thank you very much for the photos of your girls.  It has been worth the wait.  Now we need  video with Zoe singing.   ;)

Just kidding!

I am just so very happy for Zoe and for your whole family.  Keep up the good work!

Judy G.

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
thank you... i was afraid because i misguided one of the owners who needed help (didnt realize all of the previous problems/illness with the animal) that maybe i shouldnt do this anymore- i felt really bad when i told them to apply for financial aid! My husband actually did the application for me because i am NOT that computer literate.....anyways i was trying to help when i knew Judy would be away from her computer and thought maybe you guys wouldnt want me to help anymore! I am always willing to help, if i can! I honestly didnt know all of the policies, so again i am very sorry :blush:

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
Zoe and I are busy today getting ready for my parents 50th wedding anniversary! She has been having fun looking through pictures and decorating!!!!!!!!! So happy anniversary mom and dad (mama and papa as Maddy and Jessie and Zoe call them)....enjoy your day everyone! oh and happy cinco demayo also :heart:

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
zoe is such an amazing pup...she knows her mommy isnt feeling well again and lays by me (and wont go too far away) such a lovable girl...thank you Lord for bringing her into my /our lives!

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
Zoe is barking at everything today, aleaf falls...she barks- a squirrel goes by...she barks-i look at her...she barks! vocal cords are in great shape.........I am putting the earplugs in .lol

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,996 posts
BARKING...isn't that the best??  A few weeks ago we were worried about her surgery...happy spring to you and Zoe...this week end was lovely, wasn't it??

Happy Mother's Day to you.....

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
barking is good......she talks too.......the deer are not afraid of her, and you think she would realize this..but no mam!  happy mothers day to all of my imom friends!

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
my girl knows to sit by me anytime i am eating...i must be a messy eater,or something! lol...doing great loving life and springtime!

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
One of my dogs does that.  He sits right under my chair to catch any droppings.  One night he caught my blood pressure pill and scarfed it up-he doesn't even look at what he is eating!  The poison control people and I are likethat.  :)

Sounds like Zoe is all back to normal,  What a wonderful thing.  Judy G.

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
yes..yes she is back to normal!thank you...would love for you to meet her one day!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,996 posts
aren't we having the most beautiful weather...and life is good...Zoe is healthy again and I know how happy that makes you...and I love to see you posting on the forum to help out the new PINs...THANK YOU.....

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
i am alittle sad tonight, my older girl Jessie went to go outside and when she got up she couldnt walk on her hind right leg...she has arthritas but normally she can move after a few minutes. Dan is at work and i called the vet, they had several emergencies tonight but they said to call tomorrow if it didnt go away. Is this normal????i cant do this again,and my girl is the mommy to madison. She knew i was pregnant before we did. always protecting my belly by laying down on the bed with me, her up against maddy of course, so we call her maddys momma! if anyone is listening, any advise?

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,996 posts
I didn't see your post last night but I am hoping that this morning will bring better news on Jessie...I am wondering if she just strained or pulled her hind leg and of course that is going to bother her...

When you call the vet this morning, ask if you can giver her BUFFERED ASPIRIN...that is what I use when Gracie has a pull or a strain...she is a collie and I give 1/2 a pill in the morning and at night for a couple of days until she's better...she is older and periodically pulls or strains something running or getting up.....

Hoping you post soon that Jessie is getting up on her own...will check back later...and don't worry about calling the vet...but make sure the aspirin is buffered, it's gentle on their stomach...and it must be buffered aspirin (the old fashioned kind, it will say that on the bottle).  I think I got mine at Walmart...

Hugs, Judy

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
we got jessie into the vet at 5 p.m. tonight and we got home at 6:40....she has arthritis, however the vet believes she has a neurological disorder as well...unsure if it is degenerative disc..cancer..or other issues,but she said her paw keeps going under her and she doesnt know how to fix it or that she is even doing it. we got her a weeks worth of pain medicine to see if that will help, however the xrays and mris are out of the question. I paid $90.00 today that we dont have and now i cant pay my rent that i had planned on paying. i do not want her to suffer, but i cant put her down. what do i do? since imom helped with zoe-can they help with jessie or no.because it is the same house hold,and how can i explain that one to my pup,or daughter.????she can only go to the potty if we hold a towel under her to relieve some pressure from her legs,however with my weak legs and bad back i dont have the strenght for that..epecially at night. the vet said how lovable she is, and oh my gosh is she! this girl always protects me and my daughter(well she thinks maddy IS hers).she has been giving me kisses and kisses MY legs for me knowing they hurt me. what a gem-i just dont know what to do with her meds and stuff.thank you fior listening to me,i appreciate your voice!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,996 posts
Now that you mention her paw going under and her not knowing it makes me wonder about something...Our GSD Kayla had a disease call degenerative myoepathy (sp)...it is comparable to MS in humans...it is neurological and there is unfortunately no cure for it.

Now, you don't know if that is it or not...but, can you call the vet and ask about that?

I am hoping the pain meds help some...with DM there is no pain...which was a blessing for our Kayla...she made it 2 yrs. with the disease...

We had to use a towel to help support her which we used all the time to keep her a little stronger...we used it for her ti climb the steps and to walk outside...

Jessica sounds like a sweet, sweet girl...

I don't know the exact ruling IMOM has on other pets in a family but I don't think they are able to help another.  I am not positive on that though.

I will keep checking on you to see what is happening with Jessie...be strong...for Jessie and Maddie...Jessie is a good girl and can sense when things are not quite right...Judy

dmmwilke

dmmwilke

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 864 posts
how do you know ehn it is time to say goodbye?????? the vet asked what our goal is, and we said to keep her comfortable.how sad! we want her back to normal and walking again,but because we do not have the money to even have her get x-rays we cant even 100% know what IS wrong with her....sorry folks but that sucks! she  is the sweetest little girl you will ever meet, who just wants to be loved. We got her when she was a few months old...a friend of ours had a neighbor who was moving out of state and couldnt take her with her, so when i saw her for the 1st time, i melted...especially when she came running up to me with her big akward lab paws...i fell in love with her! so when i got home and told my already dog lovong/wanting husband that we were getting a puppy-he was excited. we ran tothe pet store,bought a bed, toys, collar and new tags with her new name and our address....seriously about $400 later we picked her up! dans mom last night kept telling me we had to put her down...i kindly(the 1st 4 times told her my blood pressure was too high and i cant think about that right now)then i got mad! am i doing her a disservice...is it wrong to want her here with me....honestly if someone doesnt put holy water over my family and house pretty soon, i do not know how much more i can handle...as it was after the stress with zoe and fundraising and her surgery i ended up in the icu at the hospital. please whoever is reading this -pray for my Jessie girl..........

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,996 posts
I am sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and Jessie...

Is she any better today about getting up and going potty?

IF she has the degenerative myoepathy it is PAINLESS...so, the only thing you have to deal with is the problem with her legs not wanting to work.  If you sling her it's really not that bad...you just gently lift with a towel...you make the length of the towel to adjust to your height so you just pull her up and use the towel to support her back legs...we did it for nearly two years...

I know you are overwhelmed right now...but breathe deep...and talk to your vet about managing degerative myoepathy...and you cannot diagnosis that with MRI's or X-rays...so don't feel guilty for not being able to do that...AND, if you know she arthritis that is aggrevating it also...

YOU and Jessie will know when it's time...believe me...we watched Kayla like a hawk...her eyes twinkled until the very end, and I mentioned before that she made it 2 yrs. with the disease...it's progressive, yes, but Kayla's was slow to progress, each dog is different...

Talk to your vet about this disease...the first test is to turn her paw under...IF she does not correct that, it's a sign...again, talk to your vet...

I am not one that likes to read diagnosis on the Internet because things are so blown out of proportion...but...see is there is a group for dogs with degenerative myoepathy...I'm guessing there is...sign up and ask questions...you know, they may have some ideas on how to handle her getting up problem...AND you will be talking to people that care...

ask them how they diagnosed it...you will find a wealth of information there...I know it...

IF this is just the beginning, she could have time left...ENJOY your time with her...I know you get totally upset...big try to think like a dog does...you know, they just accept what is happening and they deal with it...one of the wonderful qualities of a dog, don't you think??

I will be here...but, please, do see about a yahoo group...

I just did a search and here is a group...they are maintaining their calendar but I think that the site otherwise is working...when you click on it there is a blue box on the top on the right that says Join Group...click on that and check it out...

http://pets.groups.y...myelopathylist/

Edited by Judy, 19 May 2012 - 01:53 PM.

Huckleberry Hound

Huckleberry Hound

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 419 posts
The foot turning under, and not being able to feel it to right it, does sound like DM is a possibility, among many.  I'm sure the vet will guide you.  I believe always in HOPE, but also believe quality of life is more important than quantity, so I'm going to tell you a tale that I believe will give reason for HOPE.

Sir Duke was a wonderful dog.  Best guess is a cross between shepherd and lab-- not small.

When he was 13 years old, he started as Jessie has done.  He was one who even at the age of 13 could get down off the deck and almost catch a squirrel who was in the yard 500 yards down a hill.  As his back legs got worse, my brother wanted to get Sir Duke one of the carts where the back legs are put up like a wheelbarrow.  Sceptic that I was, I thought an old dog like Sir Duke would never be able to adjust.  This was a dog who walked 5 miles a day and chased squirrels through the yard whenever he saw them.

When the cart arrived, and Sir Duke was strapped in for the first time, my brother hooked up his leash, and out the door they went for their walk.  My brother could barely keep up the pace.  Sir Duke acted as if he'd been born with wheels.  Since he couldn't feel his hind quarters, I'm not even sure he knew the cart was there.

He lived another 4 years before giving us the sign he wanted to go to sleep on his deck, watching his squirrels.

Prayers for Jessie, and for you.  Ask the vet about the cart possibility.  There are organizations that donate the carts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users