Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Walter - Cat In Acute Renal Failure

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
"Making biscuits on your head!!!"  Love it, the best kitties do that! :) lol   Sweet!   Love the stories of him and Mickey.

Melissa/IMOM

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
GUESS WHAT!:::

NEWS: WE ARE AT $1000 raised for Walter!!!  $2120 more to go!

For those of you just arriving:

<br style="font-family: verdana, arial, tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(253, 253, 253); ">

To donate:

http://imom.org/donate_to_a_pin.htm

Melissa/IMOM

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,883 posts
YAY RAH!!!!!

Now...did you all read what Walter's Momma, Ronit wrote?  If you didn't you MUST....It's the sweetest post ever...you can see why they are doing what they are...and to be part of this special PIN is something...

Are we twittering, posting on facebook and sharing and cross posting???  We have to help...plain and simple...

I am going to copy and paste what Ronit wrote...I LOVED it...Again...you can just read the love in each and every word.....

Walter's Momma say.....

"Hi, my name is Ronit, and Walter is one of the great loves of my life. I love him more than words can say. If I could give him one of my kidneys, I would.

He is my baby, and I love him as much as I love any person in my life.

Walter is very special, and has enchanted every human he's ever come across. Even though his kidneys are failing, he has a very big heart.

He's perfect in every way, and deserves everything we can give him and more.

Likes/Hobbies/Interests:Making biscuits on your head, going to the park, jumping into empty beer boxes fresh from the store, taking one solid piece of cardboard and turning it into many pieces of cardboard & scattering them on the ground artfully ("Performance Art"!), chasing bugs and suspicious-looking lint...

Milo & Otis is his favorite movie, and he is alsoa fan of Homeward Bound & The Big Lebowski (when they yell "Walter!").

He loves his brother Mickey Lickey, and they clean each other every day.

He has a very adventurous spirit. There is no hiding place that Walter won't explore.

He loves the hamper. He loves to crawl into dirty laundry. When we get home we need to get footage of him diving into the hamper.

I like how at Tufts he went from cage to cage, yelling at the dogs, making his speeches like he used to from the top of the TV.

He has super-soft fur. He loves people, and he really likes dogs. He's also really good with kids. He could be a therapy cat."

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,883 posts
I just wanted to touch base with the IMOM angels...I don't want anyone to think that James isn't posting much today...as in an earlier post he asked if he should be just posting here as he had two other sites that he was using for fund raising for Walter...

I was the one that told him to make sure to post on ALL OF THE SITES...as more is always better...so.....I am sure that is exactly what he is doing...and that takes a lot of time and energy...

I think that Walter's family is doing an amazing job...I wonder if I could do what they have done...something about them has touched me...I hope others feel as I do...Judy

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
News: $1050 has been raised! We have made it over the $1000 mark!   $2070 to go!

To donate:

Melissa/IMOM

JamesWilletts

JamesWilletts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi, everyone -

Yeah, I basically have been posting links for this forum, the IMOM fb page, the Give Forward fundraiser, and the video on some friends & families Facebook walls, as well as the walls of all the cat organizations & humane societies & shelters I could find, including Walter's origin: The Animal Rescue League of Boston.

I did take a short break to call my dad today.  It's his birthday.  He says he could maybe drive down from SC to Gainesville & visit us, but I'm not counting on much.  He's one of those people who doesn't really understand or support me.  I think he knows that our minds are made up, though, so he doesn't push too hard.

He loves his own Jack Russells, so he needs to meet Walter.  Once he does, he'll melt, too, and be another victim of Sir Walter Sobchek's charm & loving personality.  :-D

Speaking of which, how about some testimonials from Walter's previous doctors, nurses, & technicians?  I got these weeks ago when I was writing press releases.

"I never met a cat who purred so much! I love Walter and I hope he gets better soon." - Shannon, ICU technician

"Walter is a wonderful patient and his fantastic personality shines through even when in the hospital. We wish him all the best." - Hathaway, 4th year veterinary student

"Walter is the best little cat! He has a wonderful personality and loves human interaction. I really enjoy the time we spend together!" - Tiffany, hemodialysis technician

"Walter is a fabulous man and loves everyone who comes to talk with him. He deserves only the best." - April, ICU technician

"I do think Walter would make an amazing therapy cat." - Dr. Michelle Cook, MSPCA Angell Animal Medical Hospital

"Walter is a great cat with a huge personality. I can see why you love him so much. We all hope he continues to do well." - Diane, hemodialysis technician

I think Walter can feel everyone's love coming his way.  He is bright-eyed and hopeful and talkative today.

- James

Attached File  Walter on Hemodialysis - 06 Lrg.jpg   951.33K   7 downloads

Here's an older picture of Walter when he was on hemodialysis.  He wasn't feeling too hot, but I like to call this picture "Eyes of a Fighter".
--

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
We know you are very hard at work for Walter. We hope this all pays off and surgery can happen tomorrow. Keep up the great work, and the multitude of postings....Hopefully everyone will come out of the wood work and donate. Even $5.00 will help...... as it all adds up!

To donate:

Or you can donate directly via PayPal to paypal@imom.org
Melissa/IMOM

Edited by Melissa IMOM, 28 February 2012 - 04:49 PM.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,883 posts
James, just wondering on your end of the fund raising is going...are you having good luck?

IMOM has done pretty darn well...in just about 24 hrs. $1,000.00 has been raised...and we'll keep going...believe me...

I LOVE the testimonials from Walter's vets...how perfect was that...he sure is a special boy...and I do hope that your Dad can make it down to meet Walter...Wish I were closer...I'd love to met him myself...Judy

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
NEWS: $1075 has been raised!      $2045 is still needed to get Walter his transplant!

To donate:

Or you can donate directly via PayPal to paypal@imom.org
Melissa/IMOM

JamesWilletts

JamesWilletts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Provided Walter gets through this, I anticipate plenty of time for anyone at IMOM, or any other donor or human in need/want of some love to visit with Walter.

Speaking of which, I just want to take a moment on the forum to say THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO DONATED!!  

You guys really are amazing!  I will want to take notes from you guys so that later I can be just as efficient in helping you.

Thanks SO much to everyone for the donations, the dedication, and spreading the word on Walter's story.

As for my end, the GiveForward page received a few donations from friends of mine.  Today I am spreading the word about IMOM, hopefully doubly showing my gratitude and giving credit to you guys, while at the same time drawing people to Walter's forum and hopefully spreading awareness about your organization.

It's a rush, for sure.  Thanks again to all of the donors!  I'm team IMOM for life, now.  A check is one thing, but the outpouring of love and encouragement and effort is absolutely life-changing.

I never thought I would be looking forward to scooping out a fresh clump of cat litter, but once Walter has his new, healthy kidney, I will be overjoyed, and sending a blessing and much gratitude to all of you.

- James
--

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

celayne

celayne

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 109 posts
James, Walter sounds like a fantastic cat!  I am so glad that IMOM is helping you raise funds for his surgery and I am praying that all goes well for him.

I love that you are giving his donor a home, too!

Hope and Angel Kitty Kitty

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 139 posts
Dear James-

I wanted to say that I think it is amazing on how far you will go for your Walter!  You came to the right place!  Many people do not understand what one will do because they only think of them as animals, which is sad, but it is true!  I deal with that all the time and have been ridiculed on what I will do for my furry babies and I have lots of them.  But, i am immune to their comments!  We are all God's creatures!  God loves all his creation including the animals.  I became a member of IMOM last year after the loss of my special needs precious boy, Kitty Kitty.  The angels here are remarkable and it just plain old feels good inside to be able to help others in need of help to help save their babies!  But, always remember the love and support and pay forward whenever possible!  I have not been able to get on here lately but try to as much as possible but am happy that I am able to give a donation on behalf of Walter from my Angel Kitty Kitty!  I wish Walter the best of luck and hope for an awesome recovery for Walter and his/her donor!  Oh and HELLO IMOM ANGELS!  

Lisa_O

Lisa_O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
I will match up to the next $100 in donations. Any takers?

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,883 posts
Lisa...I'll be glad to take your money...ALL $100.00 of it...so.....consider your match MET.....Judy

Lisa_O

Lisa_O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
Judy, awesome.  I am going to donate now.  If someone at IMOM wants to verify that for you, yay!

Lisa_O

Lisa_O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
It has been sent through paypal.  Let's please get this money raised for Walter!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,883 posts
I just paid thru paypal also...so...let's see if someone else feels up to a matching challenge...they are such FUN.....

Lisa...thanks...I was trying to think of a way to find some money for a challenge and you beat me to it...

I think that Walter and his family are just the best...the posts are just amazing...I don't see how anyone can resist this special kitty and his family...Judy

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,914 posts
OK folks, donations have come in so it's time for a

FUND UPDATE

<drum roll>

Walter has $1425 - almost HALF WAY THERE!!!

He still needs $1685 so I'll match the next $100 in donations.  Can't let Judy and Lisa have ALL the fun  :motimonkey:
So who's going to take my money?

Thanks to all our angels and supporters.  We can do this!  http://imom.org/donate_to_a_pin.htm

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,914 posts
$47 into the match.....just $53 needed to get that next $100.  Five $10 donations, or ten $5 donations, and one $3....anyone else able to give up Starbucks or lunch out tomorrow?  

This family has gone the distance for Walter.  Please help us do the same.  He just has to have surgery tomorrow.

Thanks, angels!!

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Forusmom

Forusmom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 194 posts
Cindy, is that a monkey shaking his tail in your post?
My little monkey knows first hand the importance of a functioning kidney, and togethor we will be sending in the remaining $53 for your $100 match for Walter.
What a special kitten!!!!
He has captured so many hearts : )

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,914 posts
That IS a monkey!!!  Thanks to everyone who has donated so far, here is our latest

FUND UPDATE

Walter now has $1705!! OVER HALF WAY!!!  

However, he still needs $1415, so please, if you haven't donated, now would be a good time.  We've received donations from $2 to hundreds but they ALL matter.  Think if it were your pet - and you had a chance at life that only money could change.  It's a lot, and it's a risk, but I'd do it - wouldn't you?

Thanks angels!

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

JamesWilletts

JamesWilletts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Hey, everyone!

I am absolutely blown away by the progress and everyone's generosity.  The worst thing that ever happened to us has led us to the best thing that I've ever seen in people.

Walter is actually doing better than ever since this whole process began.  Not to sound too crystal-rubby, but I think he can really feel what is happening behind the scenes.  Our animals can experience things on a level that we as humans will probably never fully understand.

I have posted some tweets to some famous cat-lovers.  Maybe (and that's a big maybe) some will hear the call, recognize your organization, and stimulate some more donations.  

I've also called on a few of my high-profile clients to get them to just re-post.  

Anyone else got any ideas?  I am totally willing to plow through the night.  I know there's not much time.  Walter and all of you will have my strongest work ethic.

Meanwhile, a story about Walter:

As you may be able to see in the video, Walter & Mickey have been trained to "touch", "sit", & "jump"....  "Get down" was starting to get easier, too.  They both started meowing for their food, so when we found their soft spot for food & treats, the process was very easy, albeit lengthy.

They now "speak" before every meal.  Walter is smarter, but Mickey is more trainable, because Walter is so stubborn.  Mickey will chatter right away, but Walter makes me ask him about three times.  If Mickey gets his food first, Walter will hover & focus on Mickey's food, totally forgetting about the bowl that's still in my hand for him.  Therefore, I have to get Walter to say "please" before Mickey.

Sometimes, when Mickey's really hungry, and Walter's being stubborn, Mickey will meow behind me a couple of times before swatting Walter on the head, as if to say, "Come on, bro!"

Walter also learned how to climb the cage at another hospital.  It was tall with no roof, and there were about five people in the room.  April, one of the techs, exclaimed, "Oh my god!"  Walter had made it all the way to the top and was climbing over the edge for a masterful escape.  They all just started laughing and got him down.

We also call him "Gray Lightning," because he'll run for the door to try to get in the hallway.  When he does get past our feet, he just flops down six feet down the hall.  We call it "blooping".  He will get excited, get up, walk FOUR steps and......Bloop!

Our friend Jake also admires Walter's skills at "Power Lounging".  

Mickey & Walter also like to sit in our window and birdwatch together.

Wow.  I should get some pictures up.

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone for reading, donating & working so hard to drive the funds in!

Attached File  Walter - 109 Lrg.jpg   1.43MB   1 downloads

Attached File  Walter - 081 Lrg.jpg   1.34MB   6 downloads

Attached File  Walter & Mickey - 52 Lrg.jpg   1.31MB   8 downloads

Snapped this one after making kiss noises to get them to turn around from birdwatching.
--

cgerrans

cgerrans

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 216 posts
The company I work for has a donation matching program but they only send the matches at the end of each quarter (March 31 2012). If there was some way that iMom could "loan" Walter the money until the match, I'd be willing to donate some more. I've already given $150 that will be matched. Any creative ideas iMOM?...Christine

JamesWilletts

JamesWilletts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
I've been bragging about you guys.

The gratitude is coming out of my pores.  I really, really appreciate how hard you guys work for us, for our family, for the proof that we are doing the right thing, for the message that every animal is worth this, that we should fight this hard for every living creature....  Thank you so much for your donations and love and encouragement.

It's so refreshing to be validated, to know that it's okay to not give up on people, and to know that we--meaning: Ronit & I, we as a family, we as the IMOM family, and we as the human race-- will get through this.

I just wanted to check in and let you guys know that the hospital will be calling me at approximately 7am EST.  I'll be checking back in then.

Once page 3 starts, I'll post the video again so it's easier to find.

Our lives are forever changed by having all of you in it.

Walter's got this thing that he does....  He knows that you get more flies with honey --or whatever the expression is.....

Mickey knocks stuff over.  We joke around because we were told by a behaviorist that "He's interacting with his environment."  He tests things.  He'll tap a case of earplugs or some lipstick.... Check!  I can knock this over!  BLAM!!  Or or jar of change...  Eh... too big....  But he'll tap it a little everyday as a sort of "project", until one morning we finally hear about four dollars in change slam on the floor first thing in the morning at breakfast time...

But Walter, he just does this thing where he gives us extra love in the morning, almost to the point of being annoying.  If I'm sleeping on my back (which I never used to do before Ronit started sleeping in "the nook"), Walter will climb up from the foot of the bed at about 6am or so, climb on my chest, and sit on me and fire up the motor...  Rrrrrruuuummmm..... etc..

OR...  If I'm not on my back, he'll come over to my left side and start trying to knit a sweater with my biceps & t-shirt sleeves, making biscuits with my arm.  Jerk.  ;-)

He just knows that love makes us wake up in a better mood, and so we're more likely to feed him!

More flies with honey.

The people's cat.

Walter.

- James

Attached File  Walter - 074 Med.jpg   165.75K   0 downloads

Attached File  Walter - 080 Med.jpg   451.9K   0 downloads

I forgot to tell y'all: He's got this thing for cases of water and empty beer cases.  I really don't know what that's all about, but he gets frustrated if we don't drink our bottles of water fast enough.
Attached File  Walter - 089.jpg   2.25MB   1 downloads

There he is.  More flies with honey.
--

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,883 posts
Christine, did you send an email to IMOM about your company's matching donation question??

I hope and pray that a lot of angels answered the call last night...we are getting SO CLOSE.....Walter, I will be checking in all morning to see what is happening...Hugs Judy

JamesWilletts

JamesWilletts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Good morning, everyone.

Walter is doing great again this morning.  Dr. Buckley is, of course, surprised as always to have him in such good spirits.

Ronit was venting with me a little last night about some of the attitudes from other staff members last night.  I've urged anyone who's spoken with me down there that they need to take a walk and go down and meet Walter.

Walter, in his wisdom, has won over any and all grouchy and/or cold people involved in this project from the beginning.  Sometimes I think he's smarter than we are.  It's like he's picking up the slack.  Whenever we start to get bogged down with people, he turns on the charm and brings everyone around.

"Team Walter" is the expression we use.  I used to hash-tag my tweets whenever he did something cute or brilliant.  #TeamWalter.

For a while our friends were keeping score and pitching in.

But anyway, I may have mentioned my father may come down to visit in Gainesville.  I hope he gets to meet Walter.  He's not a cat person, doesn't understand or really support what I'm doing, so maybe it's time for Walter to take up the slack and when pops over.  Walter makes falling in love look easy.

I am not going to lie.  I am very, very scared.  My hands are shaking.  Everyone, please just put your hands together one time today for our Big Baby Walter.  

We are on alert.

Damn, I love that kid.

And again, thanks SO much to everyone for all of their donations, love, and encouragement and extra, extra hard work.  It has been an amazing experience seeing all of you in action.  I am in awe.

Cheers, gang.  Holler if you need anything.  One last push this morning.

Love,

- James
--

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,883 posts
I'll be checking in off and on all morning to see how things are progressing...

When is surgery supposed to take place?

Did you receive donations on your end?  Have you met your fund raising goals?

WAITING is not my best feature...especially when we are worrying so with you and Walter...

What is the plan??

JamesWilletts

JamesWilletts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi, Judy.

I'm going to push hard & tell everyone they have until 10am EST.  

My fundraiser, the GiveForward page, doesn't have to end at 10, so I am telling everyone to visit IMOM and donate through you.

Can we push hard one last time until ten?

How's that for a plan?

- James

Attached File  Walter - 062 Med.jpg   464.11K   2 downloads

--

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,883 posts
The BEST...sending positive thoughts and prayers that this is going to HAPPEN today.....Walter is such a special boy and thanks to you and Rondit we have had the pleasure of adding our help...Judy

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,914 posts
Walter has $1900 this morning.  We have about an hour till surgery starts.

Any and everyone, please help if you haven't or can again.  PLEASE HELP WALTER! (<-click here if you can help).

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users