Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Cyrus Fortenberry

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
Diagnosis: Large Gun Shot wound to his left rear leg that also involved some injury to his right fore limb
Amount of Estimate: $1762
Owner Contribution: $262

Fund raising goal: $1560 (4% has been added to help pay IMOM's business operating expenses) (by Feb 9th evening)
Spayed or neutered: Yes
Caseworker: Melissa

***Update: AFR 2/9/2012!

Cyrus is a 11 month old Australian Shep mix, needs $1500 for surgery. Here is exactly what is going on from the vet: Currently we are treating Cyrus as an outpatient with intensive wound care therapy on a every other day or every third day as we are able. The bandage we are having to utilize is so large and so supportive it is causing severe muscle atrophy and now acute dermatitis. We have been able to control the infection so far and now the edges of the gunshot wound are enfolding into the defect. Without surgery it does seen likely that the defect will not heal with opposing edges creating a nasty tunnel of infection that will most likely become septic.

We asked about amputation. The amputation would not be cheaper. His veterinarian does think that his leg will be functional again and it would be in his best interest to save it.  

I can personally tell you that the veterinary clinic that Cyrus is at is has been phenomenal through this. Caitlin, the vet tech assigned to Cyrus is helping every step of the way. Her replies are quick and thorough. She is really doing all she can Cyrus.  To read her Introduction: http://www.imom.org/...?showtopic=8228

She wrote: My name is Caitlin Edison and I am a registered veterinary technician. I am helping Mrs. Fortenberry to apply for funding for Cyrus. I have been the primary technician assigned to his care. I was the one who carried him into the hospital the day he arrived. This was a horrible senseless injury that should never have happened. I do love where we live but we have virtually no animal protection laws or law enforcement officers willing to enforce the laws that do exist.

The goal is to raise the money by Thursday night so that Friday morning surgery can be secure.  If money is raised earlier, the vet may go ahead with it earlier.   The vet is also willing to post to help raise these funds.

To donate to Cyrus, please go to:http://imom.org/donate_to_a_pin.htm

Please designate your gift to"GF-Cyrus". Every penny is appreciated to help this Pet In Need.

If you want to donate directly to paypal you can use paypal@imom.org as the email address to donate to. Just please put in a note that you want your funds directed to Cyrus Fottenberry!

Melissa/IMOM

(Note: fund updates will be posted as time allows. Please be patient with us, as we do this manually)

Attached Files

Edited by Melissa IMOM, 09 February 2012 - 11:52 AM.
updated amount raised

Katrina Lim

Katrina Lim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I talked to Price, and we were able to make a very small donation. We wish we could do more.
Positive thoughts for Cyrus and his family.

Love,
Katrina, Price and Kip

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
I am so happy to see Cyrus up for fund raising...

He's SO cute...IMOM angels...this little guy needs our help...I think he's got a lot going for him...a family that cares and a vet clinic that is working with the family to get this boy the help he needs...this pretty much sounds like a win win situation to me...

Can we help make this happen??  

Let's get this story out there...can you share and cross post and ask others to do the same?  We CAN make this happen...Judy

georgiarvt

georgiarvt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you so much Price and Kip!

View PostKatrina Lim, on 07 February 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

I talked to Price, and we were able to make a very small donation. We wish we could do more.
Positive thoughts for Cyrus and his family.

Love,
Katrina, Price and Kip

georgiarvt

georgiarvt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you to each any every person who is taking time to read our story and offer any help! Cyrus has a huge heart and the biggest ears we have ever seen! He is well loved by his immediate and now extended two legged family.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
Caitlin, bless you and your Dr. for being so compassion to this creature in need, it is so heartwarming to see this...

I am guessing that you are posting in your spare time and that in itself is pretty amazing...The Fortenberry's are very lucky to have helping out.

If you can perhaps they can tell you some stories about Cyrus that you can share with the angels...but, I'm thinking that we know that you are working hard to help...but it sure never hurts to be able to share some special things...

Again, thank you and your clinic for going that extra mile...Judy

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
By the way...people are always reading but they don't always post...so don't think that there's no activity on the forum...believe me...we're going to do what we can to get this boys story out there...Judy

Steverequiem

Steverequiem
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Donation sent - would be interested in hearing how he got shot...random drive-by?

georgiarvt

georgiarvt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey Steverequiem,

According to the neighbor... Cyrus was on his property and he shot the dog. No one is really sure what transpired. What we do know is he is extremely friendly and very approach anyone when talked to... We live in a very beautiful part of north Georgia but it is very rural and unfortunately this is not the first incident like this I've seen recently. The difference in this case is the owner who truly is making every effort to care for her dog, AND Cyrus was already neutered!

He arrived at our front door in the back of an SUV soaked in blood with an owner in tears!

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,193 posts
Please angels can u help this precious pupper? Everyone from the owners to the vet and vet tech are working with all their hearts to help Cyrus...he just needs donations to get him better.

Please help...any amount will help Cyrus have the treatment he needs so he can go back to his family.
Posted Image

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
NEWS: $115 has been raised!  $1445 to go!

Thank you thank you thank you for helping out Cyrus!  This is exciting to be giving you guys news so quick! I love it!

Melissa/IMOM

georgiarvt

georgiarvt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
WOW!!! You guys are amazing! Thank you! There have been many tears of happiness at our office today =)

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
GREAT to see a funds update so soon...that means we are off to a rip roaring start...

Caitlin, GREAT JOB with your posting...

He has everything going for him right now...tons of people that care about him...now, we really need to keep working to make sure that we can get the funds in needed for his surgery...

The tears of happiness are a good thing, aren't they??  It sounds as if this little guy touches hearts easily...he's so darn cute...look at his little face...

Edited by Judy, 07 February 2012 - 05:05 PM.

Chris 1

Chris 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 874 posts
Donation sent!  Wonder if your local newspaper would pick up the story about a neighbor that shoots a happy, sweet puppy?   Maybe public interest and donations for Cyrus's care (or a fence) could be generated?  
I am hoping that we can get these funds generated quickly so that Cyrus can have his surgery and be on the road to recovery!

Chris  :pp_animal_568:

georgiarvt

georgiarvt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
We are working on a "press release" for the local paper, we do live in "good ol' boy" country so sometimes it can be difficult to make headway with the powers that be in these cases. We are finishing up here at the clinic for the day so I may be lax in my posts tonight- but I will be back with tomorrow! \

Thanks again fabulous IMOMers!

LyndaBeckler

LyndaBeckler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
He looks SO sweet.  My little Aussie mix just shook his piggy bank and made a Pay Pal donation.

Chris 1

Chris 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 874 posts
Thank you Lynda!  Give extra special hugs to that little Aussie mix of yours for hitting up his piggy bank!   ;)

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
News: $295 has been raised!  $1265 more is needed!

I had to step away for a short while, but it sure was nice to come back and see all the IMOM Angels helping out Cyrus!
This puts him that much closer to surgery! Very exciting!

Thank you to everyone so much for all your donations and for spreading the words. Every single dollar counts and helps toward Cyrus.

To donate to Cyrus, please go to:http://imom.org/donate_to_a_pin.htm

Please designate your gift to"GF-Cyrus". Every penny is appreciated to help this Pet In Need.

If you want to donate directly to paypal you can use paypal@imom.org as the email address to donate to. Just please put in a note that you want your funds directed to Cyrus Fottenberry!

Melissa/IMOM

georgiarvt

georgiarvt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you so much Melissa for all your continued guidance and support through this process! I am meeting with Mrs. Fortenberry in the morning to explain all the details of this process. She has no social networking experience and very limited knowledge of the internet so I think a face to face meeting will be our best bet! She has some great stories about Cyrus and has a lot to share about his injury so I will be (at the very least) relaying that to the wonderful IMOM community Wednesday!

My heart has been so deeply touched already by the generosity thus far and thank you dose not seem adequate to express my gratitude!

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
News: $340 has been raised!  $1220 more is needed!

Yes, you can see me.....I am doing the dance!!! I am so excited to be able to make all these news updates for Cyrus and his family!!!   We are getting closer....

Melissa/IMOM

Chris 1

Chris 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 874 posts
WOW Angels!  What a team effort we have going here!  If the funds can be raised quickly, then Cyrus doesn't have to wait until Friday for his surgery!  I KNOW we can do this!

Chris   :pp_animal_568:

Edited by gdane3, 07 February 2012 - 07:50 PM.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
Chris...you're a GREAT cheerleader...Isn't Cyrus just the cutest thing??

And, his support system is amazing...Caitlin, you're doing a wonderful thing for this boy and his family.  For you to go over to the house to help Mrs. Fortenberry figure out IMOM and to share some stories of her boy so we can know more about him just thrills me...and I know it's going to touch the hearts of many here that read what is going on...

You should be proud of yourself and what you are doing...you not only care about Cyrus but your concern for his family is another thing...

I can't wait to see what you have to say tomorrow...and I can understand that this is so intimidating to someone who is worried and stressed about their beloved pet...

I can't wait to check in in the morning to see what has happened tonight...Take care...Judy

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
I copied this from Caitlin's Introduction thread...here's a little about Cyrus's Mom and Dad...

" Mrs. Fortenberry acquired Cyrus from a friend of her nephew who could not feed for care for him properly. She is recovering from open heart surgery and is unable to work. Her husband is also currently disabled from a severe broken foot and complications that followed.

Thank you all for all your fabulous efforts and work!

Sincerely,

Caitlin Edison, AS BS RVT "

It's always so nice to get to know the people involved....

georgiarvt

georgiarvt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
This is fantastic! We may get to proceed with his treatment sooner than scheduled!! At this rate we should be there in no time. Let's all keep spreading the word. I've posted links with contacts at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine... Where else can we go?

VivaleChat

VivaleChat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Just donated $25 in memory of my childhood kitty named Orange Guy.  He, too, was shot by a neighbor.  Though he carried a bullet in his chest that could not be removed for over a decade, he lived to the ripe ol' kitty age of 21 years old.  :)

Posted Image

Chris 1

Chris 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 874 posts
Thank you VivaleChat!  

Caitlin, have you tried posting to the RVT boards or Facebook?  Either should definitely generate interest!  Make sure you include the links to this site so that every penny gets to Cyrus!  

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
News: $440!!! <-----so exciting to report this!
$1120 more to be raised!

Thank you! Sorrry this took a bit to post but I had to feed my fur babies before I could update! Thank you IMOM Angels for helping this little adorable fur baby!

Melissa/IMOM

Chris 1

Chris 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 874 posts
That IS great news Melissa!  Maybe some of our West Coast Angels will help tonight?  I will be praying for Cyrus tonight and hoping for more great news in the morning!
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Caitlin could tell the Fortenberry's in the morning when she goes to visit them that we are say.........half way there?   :rolleyes:

Forusmom

Forusmom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 194 posts
Foru and I have sent a donation. We are both praying for a full and compete recovery and news that Cyrus is on the road for a full  recovery
I am soo upset  that it seems he was intentionally shot by a "neighbor".
Prayers are with Cyrus and his family, from Foru and I tonight,
:magicmoon:

georgiarvt

georgiarvt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah guys!!!!

I'm so excited to be able to call Mrs. Fortenberry to relay all this fantastic news! Let's keep it going! Please stay tuned in today for updates and some pictures =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users