Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Oz Hill

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,969 posts
YAY RAH Oz...what a big boy...he's where he needs to be tonight...resting...and coming out of the effects of surgery...tomorrow he's going to be up and about and ready to come home to the family that loves him...

Donna is right...on the bag of food you'll have to use is a toll free number...Call them...explain the situation about you coming back from Afganistan and waiting to get help...they are very nice in customer service...

They will do what they can...even if it's just giving you food coupons...I call the toll free number for our girls dog food (Iams) and they send me $3.00 coupons every six weeks or so...you know, every little bit helps...

I'm betting when you tell them your story you will get some free food to start Oz off...Judy

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,085 posts
So glad Oz had his surgery. IMOM angels are just, well, Magic!! Thank u angels!

I thought maybe u would like to read abt another PIN kid who had surgery for bladder stone removal early last week. Her name is Luna and she is doing AWESOME!!!

Here is the link to her thread in case u want to read abt her experience with surgery.

http://www.imom.org/...opic=8136&st=30

Gentle hugs to Oz when u see him tmw!

Cindy and the boyz
Posted Image

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Talked to the Vet more earlier. There are two options for food. Royal canin SO or Hills UD. Does anyone have any expiriance with either of these or a preference? Just trying to weigh my options...

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry, my brain is still everywhere. Didnt get much sleep last night. Scheduled to pick up Oz tomorrow morning at around 11 am as long as he is peeing well. They let me stop in and see him. He looks so sad with his giant lamp shade on his head. He didnt even want to move. He just stood there. I feel so bad. He must be hurting right now. Cant wait to get him home and make him a nice little quiet place to lay down in my room. (Far from where my daughter can torture him) ... going to try and get some sleep. About to pass out on my computer...

Oh and thank you once again to everyone who made this possible. I cant quite seem to say that enough to get my point across. You all are my little Oz's heros. (He might not think so at this moment, but still) Thank you!

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
Dear "Dad" .....

I know all about the "Cone of Shame" ;) as we jokingly call it.  I haven't met a pet yet that is "happy" about having to wear one, however - it IS VERY important that they do !!!  You don't want Oz getting at his stitches or getting the area infected.  THAT would really create problems for you "and" especially for poor Oz - which you do NOT want him to go through !!!!   I hope everything is "going well" for him in the morning so that you won't have problems picking him up. :wub:

**Most importantly - you will need a Prescription from your Vet for which ever one of the foods you decide to use.  If you choose to get it at Pet Smart - they issue you a card when you give them the "script" and all your other information. (Usually "MUCH" cheaper than Petco).   If you choose to have the food "shipped"  providing you can get a good price some place online - then the Vet has to Fax the prescription to their specific department.

My vet has only prescribed Hill's products with Bandit - so they are the only one "I" personally have had experience with over the years.  You would have to check Bandit's Thread to see what I am talking about ....

They are both good prescription foods ...  At this point, I would go with [price, and which company would be willing to work with you based on your financial situation - being an unemployed Afgan vet awaiting help, etc.
As I don't know where you live, I can only tell you from my personal experience, Royal Canin was more expensive (for some feline products).  Ask your vet FIRST if he can help you out with a bag to start off - and also ask what "they" charge and which one "they" carry.  [Usually vets dont have room to carry both -- unless it's a much larger hospital, but even then, they often go with just one of them.]

Here is the information for each company......

Hills Pet (Prescription and Science Diets)
1-800-445-5777
8am - 5pm CST (Mon. - Fri.)
http://www.hillspet....ption-diet.html

Royal Canin USA, Inc.
1-800-592-6687
8am - 5pm CST (Mon. - Fri.)
http://products.roya...s/products.aspx

As they are not open weekends, and their 800#'s are only until 5pm CST you may want to do as much checking as you can "before" you pick Oz up.  [Although not sure what "time" you'll be getting this .. :P]

I'm sending you a PM [Private Message] also ... So feel free to contact me if you need additional help.  That's what we're here for !!!!!  :)

Please give Oz LOTS of GENTLE HUGS and KISSES from me and Bandit (and all the kitties too !!! ♥) They'll be wondering about that "big" plastic "hat" ;) Oz is wearing all the way around his neck.  

We'll be looking forward to hearing about his recovery.  Praying it is a swift and uneventful one.  :wub: :heart: :wub:  And we hope you will stay a member of IMOM and provide emotional support to others after Oz has recovered.  

GREAT :hugs: and Love to you and your little one,
always ~ Donna and 'The Bandit'  :wub:

:felineicon:

:heart:  :heart:

Edited by Bandit'sAngel, 26 January 2012 - 04:22 AM.

bottlefedbabe

bottlefedbabe
  • Members
  • 3 posts
I have been thinking alot about Oz Thank God for IMOM helping him.
we are their voice.

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,880 posts
I didn't know you needed a prescription to buy the products off the shelf at PetSmart, Donna.  I'm going to have to try it and see what happens.  I'm wondering if that's a California specific requirement.

Hoping Oz will be feeling better this morning, and forgive everybody for putting that cone of shame on him.  Sadly, it is important, but they do look pitiful when they are "disgraced".  Better to be "disgraced" then in pain.

Tell Ozzie's kitty buddies to take good care of him when he gets home.
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
A couple more hours and Oz well be home!!!!

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
will*

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,969 posts
I don't know about needing a prescription but if that is so, just talk with your vet about it today when you pick Oz up...even a telephone call will work...but, you'd have to go and pick it up...

I am so excited for Oz to come home...

Those cones are terrible but you sure don't Oz "messing" with his stitches or staples...he'll only need it until his stitches can come out...

He might be alittle sore today but each day is going to get better and better...can't wait until you write that he is home again...resting with his family.

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Oz is now at home relaxing. I had to take him out to pee for them since he didnt want to pee when they walked him. He seems to be feeling pretty good. The vet said he has internal sutures so unless he really starts going after it, no cone of shame for him... going to spend some more time with him... I'll write more later!

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Oz is doing great. Peeing well. A little quieter then usual but all and all seems ok from the whole ordeal. It is going to be a little difficult to keep him from eatting things other then the food he's suppose to eat... My daughter likes to try and feed oz and the cats her food. She thinks its funny. She also kept wanting to play fetch with him today. She doesnt get the part about throwing the ball.. She throws to him and not for him to go get. I suppose for the time being thats a good thing since he's not suppose to be playing fetch as it is. Well good night everyone and thank you again for helping my boy!

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
Well, admittedly ... things are "different" in Cali ...... However, I can only go from my experience.  Even if you try to order any of the Prescription Foods over the internet ... they will ask for Prescription at checkout.
It happened to me when mine expired.  Any of the companies online I tried all wanted a Prescription Faxed to them at check out.

PetSmart doesnt' have room to put the Prescription someplace different -- not too mention -- it would make it cost prohibitive to glass it off; or put it to where you would need extra employees to handle it.  Hence, it is on the shelf -- until it hits the register ... then they ask for your prescription card.

It IS in a different area of the store ... but, still on the shelf.  ANYWAY ...... :)

So glad he's home.  :)  :heart:  I hope he's feeling LOTS better now !!!!  :wub:  And I "know" he's SOOO hapyy to be back home !!!!!!!  :heart:

Thank you "Dad" for loving him soooo much.  Sorry it took me so long to get on today ..... had a few unexpected problems.  Please give Oz LOTS of special kisses for me.  Snuggles to the kitties and special :hugs: to you and your little one !!!!!

Bandit sez "heyyyy"  Love, Donna and The "Big Ole' Beautiful Boy" :wub:

:heart:   :heart:

Edited by Bandit'sAngel, 26 January 2012 - 09:40 PM.

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

View PostOz, on 26 January 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

Oz is doing great. Peeing well. A little quieter then usual but all and all seems ok from the whole ordeal. It is going to be a little difficult to keep him from eatting things other then the food he's suppose to eat... My daughter likes to try and feed oz and the cats her food. She thinks its funny. She also kept wanting to play fetch with him today. She doesnt get the part about throwing the ball.. She throws to him and not for him to go get. I suppose for the time being thats a good thing since he's not suppose to be playing fetch as it is. Well good night everyone and thank you again for helping my boy!

Oops .... we must have been posting at the same time ... [me albeit a lot slower --- :lol:]

So happy he's doing well !!!!  Your daughter sounds adorable !!!! :wub:  Sounds like it will be handful keeping him on the prescription food ... Puppers will "definitely" want to get something "other" than that !!!  I know Bandit was thrilled when we introduced canned food back into his diet 7 yrs ago after being on the Prescription for a few years.  He just thought it was "Yippee Skippy"  :P  But then he got sick ... and we couldn't figure out why ... long [expensive] story ... before IMOM.

Anyway, thank you for loving this special boy SO much, and taking such good care of him !!!!  I know how much he means you to and your family !!!!!  BIG HUGS and LOVE  - ALL around !!!!!

Donna and Bandit :wub:

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
The food thing is the same here in florida. The vet also requires a yearly exam and urinalysis for the prescription which isnt a big deal since I do that pretty much every year anyways.

The discovery of the stones was purely by accident. I took Oz in for his shots and I also opt for their senior bloodwork which tests the urine among other things. We discovered that in addition to him having a thyroid problem, he had a uti and crystals. So thats when the doctor suggested checking for stones. I'm so thankful that I did the bloodwork. I just thought the sputtery pee was part of him getting older. My poor guy would have blocked and then things would have been really bad.

He's doing really well with the sutures. He hasnt messed with them at all. He's such a good boy. I'll keep everyone posted!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,969 posts
I had a feeling that Oz would be a good boy after surgery...something just told me that...

Hoping that tomorrow is an even better day...

Have you decided which food you are going to try for Oz?  I am with Donna's thinking...if there is a major price difference I would start out with the least expensive of the two...

Can't wait to see the next update on our buddy...Judy

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Oz has been doing really well. You wouldnt even known that he had a surgery. And the doctor did such a great job, that I can hardly see where the sutures are. I got him the royal canin SO food. There wasnt much of a price differance between the two. Maybe a dollar or two. I just got a small bag for the time being. I didnt want to get him a gaint bag and have him not like it. I'm slowly switching his food so he doesnt get diarrhea. but the little bit of the food he has had, he seemed to like. (He really liked the wet food I got him for his pills since he cant have anything else to hide the pills in.) He doesnt seem bothered by much at all. Just my same old Oz.

He had my daughter laughing today. She was sitting on my lap and he came over and started licking her arm. I don't know why she thinks it funny when he licks her, but it makes her giggle everytime. Then before bed she blew him kisses good night. She is such an animal lover. Her favorite books have either animals or elmo in them. Hopefully Oz will be around for a while for her.

Well, I'm off to sleep. Good night all.

Mike (Guy's person)

Mike (Guy's person)

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 610 posts
I'm really glad Oz got to All Funds Raised and had his surgery.  As usual, I am prowling around a few days late.  Guess I was preoccupied with Guy's bridge anniversary.  I will make my Oz donation to the general fund.  Oz's Dad, you sound like a good pet dad and I hope you start getting lots of good luck in every part of life.

Best wishes,
Mike, LBK Lola and the cute angel Guy

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Oz seems to be having some issues with getting into position to poop. I think it must be a little difficult to push because he'll start to, and then move and then start and then move. He is pooping it just seems to bother him. He does have a little bruising now but I'm pretty sure thats normal. Otherwise he seems to be doing great.

Mike, thank you for the donation on behalf of Oz. I think this site and the people here are amazing and am glad to know that another pet will be helped. With the economy how it is, I know it must be hard for an organization like this to keep afloat while trying to help so many people and pets who are down on their luck. I hope that in the future, once my own situation gets better, I can help someone else who needs it.

And I just want to say thank you again to everyone who donated, prayed for or even just had Oz in their thoughts. It means a lot to me. To know that there are people out there, who dont even know me, but are will to help is really refreshing in this selfabsorbed world.

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Oz is still doing well. He doing so well, that he has started being naughty and getting on the couch so he can look out the window. Still trying to teach my daughter to not feed him her food. Last night he got a nibble of her kix cereal. Seems like everything is getting back to normal now though...

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,085 posts
Oh, it's great to hear Oz is starting to be naughty!!! I always know when my 2 puppers are sick and then start being little stinkers again that they are on the road to recovery.

Keep it up Oz!!
Posted Image

Tammy L.

Tammy L.

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 569 posts

Since Oz is doing well, we are pleased to move him on over to Happy Endings. :dogsled:

Thank you again to all those who made this possible. We simply couldn't do this without all of you.

:hugs:

We wish Oz a complete recovery and a wonderful future!

Tammy-IMOM

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
wooooo hoooo !!!!!  Sounds like Oz is starting to feel better !!!!! :wub: :biggrin: :wub:   SOOOO happy to hear it Dad !!!!! Sweet baby ...  sounds like Oz is hers and "he" is hers -- and just the best !!  Even if he's trying to be a stinker.  How's he doing with the "Special Diet" ??  Hopefully he's still liking it alright and hasn't gotten "finicky" on you like my boy has a tendency to do sometimes.

We've had Red Flag Warning this weekend ... been drier than than the desert.  *ugh*  Plus warm ... but the temps are "supposed" to cool down ... got us 'both' drinking LOTS of water.  And he's lost interest in his dry food. :(  Oh well ...

Please make sure you give Oz LOTS of special HUGS from me and Bandit ... and give that little adorable one LOTS of kisses from me too.  

Tammy is SOOOOO right .....ALL the IMOM ANGELS are AWESOME !!!!!!!!

:hugs: to you too ~

Can't wait to hear him getting better every day !!!!!!  :wub:

Luv,
Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

:heart: :heart:

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,969 posts
Hoping to hear that Oz had a good day today...I think that the bruising is common as he had a lot of trauma with surgery and stitches...

I am sure that is why he's uncomfortable going potty...each day should get better and better...can't wait to hear the next update.  Judy

Oz's Dad

Oz's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Oz is still doing well. My newest problem is keeping him off the couch. He thinks he's a cat and he tries to sit on the back of the couch to look out the window like a cat. The problem is, he's not suppose to be jumping. I think I'm going to have to start putting laundry baskets on the seats so he wont get up there when I'm not around. He only does it when either I'm not looking or when I leave the house.

As for the potty thing, I think it was the having to put pressure on his abdomen to push and after having his abdomen cut open, it didnt feel all that nice.

I'm very thankful, he is not a picky eatter. He has had no problems with the new food. I dont think he stops to taste his food. It just goes down in gulps.
Sorry for the short post. I'm way behind on school work with all that has gone on lately and have a TON of assignments to get done! I'll post more tomorrow. Good night all!

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,647 posts
Thank you so much for letting all us Oz fans know how he's doing.  It sounds like he's getting back to normal.  I'm a cat person, but I know that when mine starts acting slightly naughty, it means she feels better.  

Hugs and kisses to you and Oz and your family.  

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users