Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Lacey Glucksman Mammory Cancer

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
One of my little guys had surgery almost a year ago for a fractured leg, and he was not too interested in eating-and definitely not in drinking, so I had the old syringe out, too.  In his case, it was almost a week before he seemed to want to drink water-here's hoping it's just a couple of days for Lacey!

Judy G.

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Lacey ate fairly well today and I'm still using the syringe method to get water into her. When she went outside today she was able to both pee and poop. Can't believe how excited I got about that. I saw her panting just once today so I gave her more water to hydrate her and since it was close to the time for her pain medication she got that too. Even my daughter got into the act of feeding her by hand this evening. Lacey seems to be resting ok right now...Sheldon

boanderey

boanderey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Big surgery for such a sweet girl. Thank you for the updates
For Grimm, who left paw prints on my heart

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Spoke with the Vets office this morning and scheduled to bring Lacey in tomorrow for a post surgical check up and removal of a body patch that she is wearing under the body bandage that was used to relieve pain. She is walking around more and more. Still not drinking on her own so the syringe is always close by. Appitite this morning was so so. Is it a good sign if she gets a little fussy? Sheldon

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Thanks for the update. I am always happy when one of my babies gets cranky...it usually means they are feeling better.

When giving fluids by syringe,make sure to go in from the side of the mouth and not straight in - so she doesn't choke.

If you elevate her bowls, she may start drinking on her own. Bending over may be painful (I would think it would be with abdominal stitches. I get a pain just thinking about it.)

Drs Foster and Smith has elevated bowls..or you might find at your local pet store.

Good luck

Kathy

Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors (A)
  • 448 posts
Kathy - good idea about elevating the bowl.  And if you don't want to go out and buy something expensive - I use a low chair or stool for elevating Natasha's food.  The stool I use has rubber on it so that the bowl doesn't slip off.

I'm so glad to hear she's getting so much love and attention!   :pp_animal_568:
Sarah/IMOM Board of Directors

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Elevating the bowls sounds like a good idea. I will not need to raise the bowls too high since Lacey is not that tall. Will start to do. Thanks...Sheldon

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Lacey spent more time this morning outside soaking in some sun. A frisky squirl kept her attention for awhile. Still not eating or drinking on her own, but her chopped up meal on a spoon (whatever falls being eaten out of my hand) and multiple water samples with a syringe seemed to have gotten her through this morning. I took your advice Kathy and place an old telephone directory under her bowls to elevate them a few inches. The Vet told me that since this was a far more extensive surgery than before, that it may take a little more time before she gets back to her normal eating/drinking habits. Let's hope sooner rather than later...Sheldon

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
My Shitzu had a similar surgery at 15. She spent a lot of time on the tile floor- I think it felt cooler to her. She did make a full recovery.

Do you know if they had a tube down her throat during surgery? That could make her throat uncomfortable for a few days as well (speaking from experience here)

Here's hoping Lacey is back to eating and drinking on her own soon

Kathy

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Lacey continues to be a little picky with her eating and drinking habits. Adding plenty of liquid to her food to make it softer for her, perhaps easier to swallow. Still using the ol' syringe to get more fluids into her. Maybe she just likes all the extra attention? Someone told me that when she gets hungry enough to check out her food bowl she'll eat. She's certainly not fading away. We'll see...Sheldon

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

View PostSheldon, on 15 December 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

Spoke with the Vets office this morning and scheduled to bring Lacey in tomorrow for a post surgical check up and removal of a body patch that she is wearing under the body bandage that was used to relieve pain. She is walking around more and more. Still not drinking on her own so the syringe is always close by. Appitite this morning was so so. Is it a good sign if she gets a little fussy? Sheldon

Hi Sheldon,  Wondering how the vet visit went.  Did they apply a new pain patch after changing the body bandage?  Those pain patches are pretty strong and could also be affecting her appetite.  Cheering for Lacey!
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
We've had a rather busy day full of little wonders. Brought Lacey in to see the Vet for a post surgical check up. He was pleased with the results thus far. The pain patch was removed as well as the body bandage (she doesn't look like an armadillo anymore) and now she simply has something like a body stocking with a pair of holes in them for her front legs to go through, all around her. This covering should help provide some level of cleanliness to the surgical area in the underside areas of her body. The Vet suggested that when this gets dirty to replace it with a body sox with hole modification for the front legs, Does anyone know where a body stocking could be obtained or I'll simply take an athletic sox and cut some holes in it to fit. When we got home, Lacey began drinking out of her water bowl again. Hurray. She ate well too, but now I'll also start using her food bowl as well...Sheldon

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
My daughter commented that Lacey seemed to be more lively today after returning from the Vets office. Well she started to eat and drink on her own and is no longer in a body bandage. I must say that it looks as though the body sox she is wearing looks a little like a nightgown. Cute. We should be getting the pathology report tomorrow. Thank you all for your concern and messages regarding Lacey...Sheldon

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
I've got some good news that I would like to share with our IMOM family. Lacey seems to be doing better every day. Yesterday the pain patch and the body bandage she was wearing were removed. Almost immediately she started eating and drinking out of her bowls on her own; no more syringe for water. Even her appitite is improving. Today I again spoke to the Vet and got the biopsy results from the pathology report...NO cancer! All the nodules that were removed along with the mammary chain on her right side were benign. However, both the Pathologist and the Vet highly recommend that in three months she have the left mammary chain removed. They said that there is no guarantee that the existing nodules along the left mammary chain are not cancerous. I hate to put her through this again and I'd really like to hear back from those of you who have had their pets undergo this kind of major surgery. She's once again so lively and if another surgery would improve her life expectancy and quality of life, then that's a big plus for going through this again. But I welcome your comments...Sheldon

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,891 posts
HURRAY for the amazing Lacey!

Sheldon,  I am, by nature, a gamblin' type, but not doing the second surgery is not a gamble I would take.
HELP JUST ONE

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi

I agree. Don't take any chances. Give Lacey time to make a full recovery and then get the rest of that out.

Sometimes the drugs we take to make us feel better have side effects..sounds like that happened with Lacey. So happy she is eating again on her own.

Kathy

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for your comments so far. I spoke to one person who said that her dog was also diagnosed with many nodules.  Because of her dogs age, she did not subject her dog to surgery and believes that the nodules may be fatty deposits and not cancerous tumors. Her dog is now 15 years and very old. I'm leaning more to removing the masses and not risk Lacey's future. Please keep the comments coming...Shel

Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Certified IMOMer!

• 448 posts
Sheldon - there are lots of different kinds of lump and bumps our furbabies get.  Talk with your vet - they can usually help out with giving you a better idea on how much of chance there is that it's just fatty tissue or considering where it is and what the other side looked like - what this side will likely look like.  I have what I think are brother and sister (rescues so we don't know for sure). Boris has tons of lumps and bumps - all fatty tissue.  Tashie had just one small lump - figured it was just more of the same - but I always get them checked out to be sure.  Hers was Cancer.  Vet said it wasn't the kind that is hereditary and didn't mean Boris would get it (if they are brother/sister).   Definitely listed to others opinions to help weigh your own thoughts - but also have a good sit down with your vet and talk it out.

In the mean time - whether or not you decide to have this surgery - it's a good time to start a savings account for Lacey.  We've got really great ideas on our website on how you can raise money for your pet.  It might be for this upcoming surgery or not - but I have yet to have a furkid that didn't end up in the emergency room - they don't tell you that at the pet stores unfortunately.  But it's good to get started on your little Lacey savings account.

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Very sensible advice Sarah. The Vet was very clear that both he and the Pathologist recommended surgery to remove the other mammary chain. Even though the masses that were removed were benign, he did say that it doesn't mean that the other side would be benign. Also with time things could change. Whether some of the nodules are fatty or not, I just don't want to risk even one of them being cancerous. So, how do we go about setting up a savings account fund for Lacey's future surgery?

Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Certified IMOMer!

• 448 posts
Sheldon - you do it a dollar at a time.  Just as you save for your own daughter - you must also save for your furkids.   My previous post (and email sent to you) has a lot of ideas on how to go about raising money for this purpose.  Then put it asside - you can open a free bank account and start putting money in it.  Don't touch it unless Lacey has an emergency.   You've got 3 months before Lacey will need surgery again.  So it's time to think outside the box and find ways to build that fund up.

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
During the holidays we usually meet more people and this may be a good opportunity for us to share Lacey's story and begin that savings account for her next surgery. I've had a chance to look over the fund raising suggestions and plan to discuss them with family to agree on an action plan.

Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Certified IMOMer!

• 448 posts
Sheldon - that's great news.  I sent you an email and you are required to reply to all emails with in 24  hours.  Please respond immediately. I rarely have the ability to come online to read the forum.

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Today I had the opportunity to talk to a friend about Lacey and her needed surgery. Told her about IMOM and before I knew it she gave me a small donation to begin her savings fund. Every donation, small or large will help. There are some other ideas that are posted that we're also going to use. Thanks for your past support.

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Lacey has a better appitite, is more active and appears to be getting stronger every day. Remarkable how she is bouncing back. We are sharing her story with others to add to her savings account for any future surgery. We have an appointment for a follow up vet visit early next week. W would like to take this time to wish all of you at IMOM a Blessed Christmas and Happy Chanukkah in behalf of Lacey.

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,891 posts
Sheldon,  Happy Chanukkah and Merry Christmas to you and your family.  So glad to hear Lacey is getting stronger by the day.

Although it may seem impossible to have the funds ready for Lacey's 3rd surgery, remember the lesson of the Lights. Where there's faith and hope, nothing is impossible.
HELP JUST ONE

Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Certified IMOMer!

• 448 posts
Sheldon - you still have not replied to my email to you.  For Lacey's sake - please reply to my email! Good job in finding other ways to raise the money needed for Lacey's next surgery. Please keep us posted on how much the next surgery will be and how much money towards that you are able to raise.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Sheldon, please check your spam folder for an IMOM email. I know that my email provider is constantly dumping important emails in my spam folder.

Good luck

Kathy

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello Sarah and Kathy,
I appreciate the persistance that both of you have. I did overlook Sarah's last e-mail inadvertantly, but I've just sent a response. I'll be taking Lacey to the Vet on Monday and plan to ask him for an estimate for the next surgery. We've also started sharing Lacey's story with others hoping to get donations for her savings account. I've read several other Forum postings and some of the stories are heart breaking. I hope that I can contribute by encouraging someone else in their time of need. Keep me on track. Thanks...Shel

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
I hope everyone had a meaningful and joyous holiday weekend. Lacey had her second scheduled post op visit with the Vet late this afternoon. The Vet was very pleased as she is making great progress. He suggested that I rub her suture site with some vasoline to keep it more moist so when the staples come out next week that the site is not itchy and Lacey does not scratch it. The nodules on her left side opposite from the surgery seem to be getting smaller. As her hormones come under control and are reduced this was one side effect that we were hoping would occur. I asked if a future lumpectomy could be performed in lieu of a total left sided mastectomy. Again he reiterated that both he and the Pathologist felt that complete removal of the left sided mammary chain was the route to go. But no final decision would be made until several months from now. Needless to say, I was unable to get an estimate of the cost of that upcoming surgery. But it will be somewhat higher in cost because we will need lab work and an x-ray also. In the mean time, we are sharing her story and need with others in order to raise some funds for her future need...

Sheldon

Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Happy New Year everyone and I hope your holidays were blessed. This was a good day for Lacey. Today she had the surgical staples removed which were from her chest area all the way to the very tip of her bottom. I've been cleaning and then softening the area with vasoline to reduce dryness and her wanting to scratch the area. I'm just amazed at how quickly she has responded to treatment. IMOM, without your help I don't think the holidays would have been as joyous as they were. We have much to be grateful for...thank you again for helping us and Lacey during this difficult financial time. I would really want to encourage others who are also stressed financially to not give up, keep hope in your heart, pray and seek His guidance .Many of the nodules that were present on Lacey's left side have now significantly reduced in size or simply disappeared. The Vet did tell us that once the hormones get under control following the hysterectomy and right mastectomy that the nodules may shrink. We're going to give it some time and then reevaluate her in several months to see if an additional surgery is really needed. Miracles still occur and perhaps we are witnessing one...Sheldon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users