Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Oreo & Midnight

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
2 cats, Oreo and Midnight, one andfive years old.  They have come into contact with the panleukopenia virus.  The household has lost 2 animals to this virus already. The vet indicated that if treatment does not start immediately, the other 2 will likely die within the next ten hours.  

This is similar to Parvo in dogs from our understanding. I'm sure some of the IMOM Angels and supporters will know more about this and can comment.

IMOM pledged $1266.00 to get emergency treatments for both of these cats. The funds did come out of the general fund. It seems a lot of funds are having to come out of this lately, so if you have any spare $ to donate, please think about sending it to the general fund.  http://www.imom.org/...on/index.htm#gf  

Thank you for helping make this happen for these two cats who's family has already endured alot of loss of other animals due to this virus.

Vicky T/Cindy/IMOM (posting for them who were the caseworkers on this case).

Mariaf

Mariaf
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Thank you all so very much.  Oreo and Midnight started treatment this morning. It is expected to take 3 days.
The doctors office said they are doing fine. This is a terrible virus that strikes so fast.

Oreo Midnight and Maria

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
Does this virus come back again? Or once you haven't it you can't get it again? How does one get this virus?

Interesting..... I sure hope Oreo and Midnight pull through.

Melissa/IMOM

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Can we see pictures of Oreo and Midnight?  I am picturing black and white and LBK (little black cat). Thank heavens for IMOM and Magic that your babies got the help they needed.

OK Angels, time to get into the couch cushions and find that extra change to send in to help the next emergency.

Kathy

Mariaf

Mariaf
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Good morning, it’s day two of Oreo and Midnights treatmentand thanks to all of the people that help fund this wonderful organization.Oreo and Midnight made it through the night and are still with us. The doctor’soffice told us this morning that they are doing ok.  We were hoping for doing wonderful but wewill settle for ok.

I brought a memory card with me to share some nice picturesbut for some reason it’s not working on this computer so I will have to make dowith some telephone pictures.

There were 4 little ones, now 2

Bighead, had gotten out the night on the night of FridayOctober 28 he never returned home.  Hewas found dead on Saturday morning the 29th. He was neutered and had “all “his shots. He was rescued and adopted by us. When he wanted attention he would makecomplex sounds almost like little songs. He was probably 15 when he died. We assumed poison at the time.

Oreo, is 1 year old. As with all the others he is sterilizedand has all his shots.  He’s beenterribly depressed when Bella did not return from the hospital. Oreo is intreatment. He’s gentlest cat ever.

Bella, was Oreos buddy they were always together.  She appeared to have a little Kitty cold onThursday night but was fine early Friday. Friday night she seemed to have thecold again. She always spent her nightswith Oreo and Midnight at glass patio door watching the world outside. Early morning came and the two woke uswithout Bella’s help. We found her andsaw that she had passed blood and was obviously very sick. We immediately brought her to a 24/7 animalhospital. She died in the examining roomminutes after we arrived. She was 8months when she died. The hospitalsuspected a virus such as Panluke. After Bella passed away we had Oreo andMidnight tested and they tested positive. Without treatment it’s a death sentence that infects fast.

Midnight, is the senior member of the family.  She was like a mother to Bella and a buddy toOreo. She was raised by a Yellow Lab soshe has some funny habits. She is 5.

These are healthy indoor cats with “all” their shots.  Turns out this virus can be brought into yourhouse on your shoes or clothing or a visiting neighbors pet. Also turns out there is a vaccine for thisand it is not usually given as part of the shots package. Please find exactly out what shots your catshave been given and get them protected from this.

More tomorrow.  I hopeyou can spare a little donation to the IMOM general fund that is helping Oreoand Midnight. http://www.imom.org/...on/index.htm#gf

Kind thoughts and prayers are also appreciated.  

Oreo, Midnight andMaria

Attached Files

Mariaf

Mariaf
  • Members
  • 5 posts

View PostMariaf, on 09 November 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

Good morning, it's day two of Oreo and Midnights treatmentand thanks to all of the people that help fund this wonderful organization.Oreo and Midnight made it through the night and are still with us. The doctor'soffice told us this morning that they are doing ok.  We were hoping for doing wonderful but wewill settle for ok.

I brought a memory card with me to share some nice picturesbut for some reason it's not working on this computer so I will have to make dowith some telephone pictures.

There were 4 little ones, now 2

Bighead, had gotten out the night on the night of FridayOctober 28 he never returned home.  Hewas found dead on Saturday morning the 29th. He was neutered and had "all "his shots. He was rescued and adopted by us. When he wanted attention he would makecomplex sounds almost like little songs. He was probably 15 when he died. We assumed poison at the time.

Oreo, is 1 year old. As with all the others he is sterilizedand has all his shots.  He's beenterribly depressed when Bella did not return from the hospital. Oreo is intreatment. He's gentlest cat ever.

Bella, was Oreos buddy they were always together.  She appeared to have a little Kitty cold onThursday night but was fine early Friday. Friday night she seemed to have thecold again. She always spent her nightswith Oreo and Midnight at glass patio door watching the world outside. Early morning came and the two woke uswithout Bella's help. We found her andsaw that she had passed blood and was obviously very sick. We immediately brought her to a 24/7 animalhospital. She died in the examining roomminutes after we arrived. She was 8months when she died. The hospitalsuspected a virus such as Panluke. After Bella passed away we had Oreo andMidnight tested and they tested positive. Without treatment it's a death sentence that infects fast.

Midnight, is the senior member of the family.  She was like a mother to Bella and a buddy toOreo. She was raised by a Yellow Lab soshe has some funny habits. She is 5.

These are healthy indoor cats with "all" their shots.  Turns out this virus can be brought into yourhouse on your shoes or clothing or a visiting neighbors pet. Also turns out there is a vaccine for thisand it is not usually given as part of the shots package. Please find exactly out what shots your catshave been given and get them protected from this.

More tomorrow.  I hopeyou can spare a little donation to the IMOM general fund that is helping Oreoand Midnight. http://www.imom.org/...on/index.htm#gf

Kind thoughts and prayers are also appreciated.  

Oreo, Midnight andMaria

Mariaf

Mariaf
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Nothing new today for Oreo and Midnight. The doctors office said they will have more information this afternoon.
I brought more pictures but again having problems. I get some help and hopefully have them with an afternoon update.

It was asked how this disease is contacted. Thats the frightening thing. You can bring it home on your shoes or clothing, an infected
cat can sit on your patio or porch at night and your pet contracts it while out with you getting some sun. The virus is dangerous for 3 to
6 months on host surfaces longer in cold weather I'm told. If a cat survives there is usually lifetime immunity.

Please everyone ask your vet about vaccination against this and any other terrible diseasrs like this that might exist in your area. No one told us until too late for Bighead and Bella.  Please do this and if you can make a donation to the IMOM general fund it would wonderful.

Thank you all

Maria, Oreo and Midnight

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,507 posts
Hi Maria,

Thank you so much for the update on Oreo and Midnight.  I am very happy to hear that they are doing OK, and I hope they continue to get better every day.  This sounds like a very scary disease, and I am sorry you lost Bighead and Bella.  

Judy G.

Mariaf

Mariaf
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Hello and again thank you everyone.
The doctor was in surgery yesterday and we were unable to get any information beyond
the earlier report that they are doing ok.  They must be frightened to be in a strange place for
so long.  Although its terrible that either of them is going through this at least they are together,
I know it helps them.
Hopefully, this morning the call will come to pick them up and bring them home.  It looks like
it may rain today which is good because they like to sit by their window and watch the weather.
I am adding a better picture of Midnight and a picture of Oreo with Bella in a second frame.

Thank everyone involved with IMOM from doners to volunteers for help in this time of need.
And as always to everyone reading this please donate to the IMOM general fund, we will be as
often as possible.
Until the next post, thank you.

Maria, Midnight and Oreo

Attached Files

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
Hi Maria,

This has all sounded so scary for you.  I'm so sorry and so very sorry you lost BigHead and Bella.  :animcndc_sm:

I "do" hope you got the okay to bring your precious fur babies - Midnight & Oreo - home and they are resting comfortably in their own surroundings.

Sending prayers and keeping fingers, toes, paws and whiskers crossed they are getting stronger and feeling better every single day !!!  :heart:  Give them special kisses from me.  And special *HUGS* to you !!!

Love,
Donna and 'The Bandit'  :wub:

:felineicon:

:heart:   :heart:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users