Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Leonard - pot bellied pig needs surgery!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Kyle imom

Kyle imom

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 385 posts
Diagnosis: Right hip dislocation (luxation)
Low end of estimate:  $2430.63
Less owner contribution:   -$100          
Needed for low end of estimate: $2330.63
4% of $2330.63 for IMOM operating expenses = $93.22
Our fund raising goal is $2423.85
Spayed or neutered: no - it is included
Caseworker: Laura*

ALL FUNDS RAISED

Posted Image

Leonard is a 4 month old pet pot-bellied pig, in chronic pain from a right hip location. His current owner is a "good samaritan." She just took Leonard into her home, despite his need for immediate treatment. She shared this on her application:

"Leonard has had a stressful first 4 months of life. He is now in his 4th home. His last owners only had him for 2 weeks and caused this major injury. I took him in expecting to pay a couple hundred dollars but not this much. Leonard is very sweet, potty trained, socialized & deserves a better life."

Please help us to help save Leonard, by a donation and/or by sharing his story through social networks, mailing lists, etc.

To make a donation for this pet, please click here http://www.imom.org/...te_to_a_pin.htm and mark your gift, “GF - Leonard Martin.”

(Fund updates will be provided as time allows. Please do not write to the committee to ask for updates. We will do the best we can to keep them as current as possible)

Thank you very much!

*Note: this thread was started by Kyle, for Laura.

Edited by Laura IMOM, 06 November 2011 - 12:38 PM.
fixed link

Posted Image

FemGeek

FemGeek

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 330 posts
It just so happens I have a FaceBook friend who's a pot bellied pig, so I posted about Leonard on his page.  Hopefully some of his fans will be able to donate, or spread the word.  I notice, though, that the donate link doesn't work as posted;  I think it needs the www. in front, ie http://www.imom.org/...te_to_a_pin.htm .  Wishing all the best to Leonard!

Roberta
http://chancethecollie.blogspot.com/

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you to all who help Leonard by either donating or spreading the word. Even if you don't have the money, you can help my mentioning it to everyone you know. Post his link on your facebook page.

I am placing an ad in our newspaper and the little nickle classifieds. I have also contacted Komo 4 news. If they get more emails about Leonard they are more likely to do a story. I have also contacted the Kitsap Sun newspaper.

I am also printing up flyers with the link and information about this organization and will be posting it around town this weekend.

Thank You everyone for your help!

Heather
Leonard's mom

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

View PostFemGeek, on 29 October 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

It just so happens I have a FaceBook friend who's a pot bellied pig, so I posted about Leonard on his page.  Hopefully some of his fans will be able to donate, or spread the word.  I notice, though, that the donate link doesn't work as posted;  I think it needs the www. in front, ie http://www.imom.org/...te_to_a_pin.htm .  Wishing all the best to Leonard!

Roberta

I don't have a pot bellied pig FB friend, except for Leonard, but I do have a rescue buddy, Holly, who has a rescue pig and will be running a marathon next week end in Savannah.  In honor of Holly, Heather, and all the others who do what they can, donation on it's way west to Washington State for Leonard.

Come on angels, let's help the little fellow.
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

vickyimom

vickyimom

Board of Directors

• 865 posts
Hi Heather-
Thank you so much for taking in Leonard, he is such an adorable little piggy, and he sure has a rough start to his short life :( I've sent in my donation (very modest, wish it could be more) to help him.
Angels, please help Leonard if you are able - he finally has a chance at a great life with his Good Samaritan new Mama Heather.....all he needs is a surgery so he can be a pain-free piggy and live happily ever after!
Vicky

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I have tears in my eyes I'm so happy and greatful. Thank you for helping. I just got done making flyers and business cards withLeonards picture and link for donation. Off to the community boards to post.
I can't thank everyone enough!

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I wrote the Kitsap Sun newspaper this morning. I was CC'ed in an email that one reporter wrote to another. Looks like one of them are interested in doing a story. My goal is to not only raise money for Leonard but draw attention to the other pets in need on this site. God gave me Leonard so I could get him fixed and in the process I might be able to help others too. My depression I had all week is going away and things are starting to look better.

I will keep you posted as things happen and will post links to stories if/as they occur. Im off to post the flyers now. I had to share this with you before I left.

Heather

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you to the following stores for posting my flier in their store.....
Naturally 4 Paws, Silverdale, WA
Farmland Feed store, Silverdale, WA
Centex, Poulsbo, WA
Red Apple, Poulsbo, WA
Sportsman's Warehouse, Silverdale WA

I have been getting emails from Craigslist from people saying they will come here and donate.
I wrote a story in the community section of the Kitsap Sun online newspaper. If they like it, it will be published.

I am working on a classified ad.

Heather

Edited by almostafarm, 29 October 2011 - 11:18 PM.

4lucy

4lucy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just gave $20.  I wish it could be much more, but enough $20s will get Leonard the help he needs!  Thank you to his foster mom (permanent mom?) for taking him in and giving him the love and care he deserves!  He's so cute!

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Leonard is feeling good tonight. He was up walking around. He ate all his food earlier so I assume this gave him some energy. I can't let him walk around too much because it will cause him too much pain later. I let him out of the laundry room long enough tonight to clean up under the table after dinner. Works out for both of us!

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 767 posts
DONATION UPDATE:  Leonard now has $410 in donations!~  This is a great start but we have a long way to go...if you can donate please do, and to all who have already donated a GREAT BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!

To Leonard's mom, thanks for update on Leonard, I am so happy to see that he ate for you last night, we have been very worried about him.  Please let us know how he is doing today when you have a chance :)

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,118 posts
Awww poor Leonard. I am so thankful he has finally found his forever home. Now that he finally has found love (or rather love found him), let's get him out of pain so he can be the pig he is meant to be.

Sending in a donation.

Hugs to Leonard.

Cindy and the boyz
Posted Image

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

View Post4lucy, on 29 October 2011 - 10:48 PM, said:

Just gave $20.  I wish it could be much more, but enough $20s will get Leonard the help he needs!  Thank you to his foster mom (permanent mom?) for taking him in and giving him the love and care he deserves!  He's so cute!

You got that right, 4Lucy!  If 101 people do exactly what you did to help Leonard, he'll be in for his surgery.  Every donation helps move him in the right direction.   THANK YOU!!
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Leonard is hanging in there. He is eating which is good. He wants to go outside so bad and I can't Wait to let him in the pasture. Thank you all for your donations and sharing leonards story.

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
I sent in my donation this morning, and if my pig-loving sister hasn't sent hers yet, I will get after her until she does!

Good to hear that Leonard is eating well, and I hope he gets the money raised quickly for his surgery so he can be an active little boy again.

Judy G.

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Leonard is hanging in there. He is eating which is good. He wants to go outside so bad and I can't Wait to let him in the pasture. Thank you all for your donations and sharing leonards story.

rocody

rocody

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 352 posts
I just made a donation. Please angels help this precious baby. He is in pain and has had a terrible life up until now. Please lets get him free of pain and give him a healthy happy life. There must be something you can do without. That coke or candy bar from the machine at work. How about bringing your own coffee for a week instead of buying it.
Please angels Leonard needs your help. My prayers are with you both
Rose

cgerrans

cgerrans

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 216 posts
Even though I just had 2 very expensive vet bills, a car bill and did a matching challenge last week I can't in good conscience not send a donation to little Leonard. Sent $100.  He is just adorable and it's a real bummer for him to have such a lousy start to life. Come on angels please donate. Relieving suffering when it's within your ability to do so generates such good Karma for you and the recipient. Christine

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I just took pictures of leonard snuggled with his miinie mouse. I will post them later. He is too cute. I'm so happy I found him. It was a little stressful the first week but that stress is starting to fade. So many wonderful people have helped him and it keeps coming. Maybe next year he can go trick or treating with us. I want want to dress him up as a chia pet pig. Wouldn't that be too cute?

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Here are some new pictures of Leonard. As you can see, he lays around alot. He loves to snuggle with Minni Mouse. The little girl is my 2 year old Chloe. I don't let the younger kids around him much but she wanted to share her snuggie with him and he loved it. As you can see in the picture of him eating, he can't put his right foot down. His hip is so out of place that he has almost no use of it and it just hangs. I hope nothing is getting pinched. I work in a vascular office so I know what to look for when there is no blood flow. Im sure he has some muscle spasms along with the pain too. We would never let a human go with an injury like this for this long. It would be abuse. I feel so helpless watching him everyday suffering. The pain meds knock him out and he does not eat well with them from what I have notice.
I hope I get to schedule his surgery by the end of the week. I'm counting on some of my co-workers from Harrison Medical Center to donate. I posted the info on our online classifieds today. I also can't wait til I can recover from this money wise and can afford to help others. Even if it's a year from now, I will for sure be back to help when I can. I had no idea there were organizations and sites like this and if it weren't for Leonard, I would have never known. He is a true angel. I also posted a picture of my 4 kids. They had a wonderful night tonight. When we came home the first thing they wanted to do was go see Leonard, they forgot about the bags of candy. They love tucking him into his sleeping bag and get a huge kick out of it. Top: Camry, 10, Kayden 6. Bottom: Chloe 2 and Jacob 3

Attached Files

Edited by almostafarm, 31 October 2011 - 11:47 PM.

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Oops. I forgot the picture of the kids I mentioned above.

Attached Files

VivaleChat

VivaleChat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Just sent in $14.  I hope we're getting close!

Huckleberry Hound

Huckleberry Hound

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 419 posts

View PostVivaleChat, on 01 November 2011 - 06:39 AM, said:

Just sent in $14.  I hope we're getting close!

Me, too.   In honor of your birthday on the 7th, I'm sending in a matching donation of your $14.  Hopefully we'll be celebrating your day and Leonard's recovery at the same time.
Pick the Adoption Option - Rescue One in Need

cgerrans

cgerrans

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 216 posts
I know we are not meant to ask but does anybody have an idea as to where we are towards the goal??

Janice G

Janice G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 153 posts
Judy G's pig-loving sister here!  Just made my donation to Leonard.

View PostJudy G, on 31 October 2011 - 12:53 PM, said:

I sent in my donation this morning, and if my pig-loving sister hasn't sent hers yet, I will get after her until she does!

Good to hear that Leonard is eating well, and I hope he gets the money raised quickly for his surgery so he can be an active little boy again.

Judy G.

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,222 posts
Fund update

Leonard has $809 in donations.  If you would like to add to Leonard's donations,
click here

Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
Hey guys, its ME :). I know, I haven't had a case in a while so I haven't bugged you all but Leonard needs some help. We haven't had an adorable little piggy since I've been here. And boy is he cute.

We need $1614 more to go.  IF everyone just donated $5.00 we would be there quick!  Seriously, you all have seen how fast the donations add up. Any amount helps. Especially when we have this much to raise, we really rely on those $1.00 $2.00 $5.00 donations.  We want to help Leonard, so please cross post and let everyone know about Leonard who needs surgery to survive!  Plus he's in alot of pain, and we need this pain to go away QUICK. So the sooner we raise the funds, the sooner Leonard can be out of pain.

This is a reach in the couch cushion case.....every penny's going to help!
Melissa/IMOM

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
Hello everyone, It's me again.

DONATIONS REC'D: $859 as of right now.

That's $1564 left to go!  Yipppeeeeeeeeeeee!

Thank you to all that have donated to help this little one. I'd sure like to see $1500 by morning. What can we do about that?    Cross post and share all you can. This little guy has been through alot. Now that he has finally found a home that appreciates and loves him, we hope we can help him end his pain!  

BTW - I can do updates all night if you want to keep me awake...I'm ok with that, really :) Anything for this little guy.

Melissa/IMOM

Edited by Melissa IMOM, 01 November 2011 - 09:50 PM.

almostafarm

almostafarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
WOW! You all are great! I can't thank everyone enough. Leonard is hanging in there. He is getting tired of the laundry room. His has had no changes in pain, activity level or appetite which is a good report. His swelling has not changed either. His hip is the size of a baseball.
I'm going to repost on craigslist tonight and other free classifieds I can come up with. I'm running out of ideas on where I can post at. If you have any plase let me know. I looked into the news patper but its $36 for a 14 day ad. But I might be able to get a lot of donations so it might be worth it. What do you all think? I'm up for any ideas you have.

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Hi Heather (and Leonard) !!!!!!

I'm pullin' for two !!!!!  (Sorry I haven't beed around -- (me and 'my' PIN - the BBB, Bandit, have been sick).

C'mon ANGELS ..... PLEASE ??!!!!???

This ADORABLE Little Pot Belly Piggie and his Mama
Need YOU !!!!!!!!

He's hurtin' awfully bad .... :((

Can you imagine how YOU would feel if YOUR
hip was like this ??  "OR" if one of YOUR
precious babies was hobbling around in this much pain ??!!??

You KNOW you would do ANYTHING you COULD to get them HELP !!!!!!!!
And that's just what Heather is trying to do !!!!!!!

She gave this sweetie his FOREVER home !!!!!
She did NOT give up on him !!!!!!!!
:heart: :wub: :heart:

PLEASE ~~ Don't YOU give up on him either !!!!!!!
Tell your friends, your family, Facebook :biggrin:
Tweet your Twitter ....  Remember ~
NO amount is Too Small !!!!!!!!
It ALL adds up !!!!!!

ANYTHING You can give will be soooooooo
appreciated by this most wonderful family !!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP LEONARD !!!!!!!!

Help him get his surgery so he can be an active
little Pot Belly Cutie-Pie !!!!!!!

:wub: :angel: :wub:

HE NEEDS YOU !!!!!!

Thank you in advance !!!!

With ALL of our Love ~
Always and Forever,
Donna and 'The Bandit" :wub:

:felineicon:

:heart: :heart:

0 user(s) are reading this topic