Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

We're new and would like you to meet Snowy

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello all.
My name is Dave and I have a real problem. In 2005 my wife and I took our daughter Jessi to pick up a cat that the owner had gotten from some pet store then decided that she didn't want her. The cat was between 1 and 2 at the time. Anyway we got there and my daughter fell in absolute love with him! The lady we got him from had him for less than a month and hadn't even really named him, at least nothing that she really used other than just "Cat". So on the way home, with him in the carrier in the back seat next to Jessi, we asked her what we should call him. It was winter here in St. Louis and snowing pretty good at the time, and out 2 year old looks out the window and says "we should call her Snowy!" I tried, with no success, that big orange cats usually aren't called Snowy. She said "Good, then he'll be the only one!" That's how we ended up with a big orange male cat named Snowy, who for the last 6 years has been the most loved member of our family, and my daughters best friend.  
Now for my problem. Snowy, who is a indoor/outdoor cat went out Monday after supper, and when I went to call him to come in for the night around 9pm, he came up the driveway on 3 legs. At first I thought (hoped really) that he got something in his paw, but as he hopped up to get in the back door I could see his left hind leg swinging loosely. I was able to take him the next morning to the vet who x-ray his hind leg and showed me the x-ray and told me he has a compound fracture of tibia and fibula of left hind leg. I was able to get a pain shot for him. They don't do surgery there so she refered me to another place. I called them Wednesday, found out over the phone it will cost 1500+ which I don't have. I went on the internet last night and found this place and I'm hoping and praying I can find some sort of miracle. I just can't loose a member of the family that has meant so much to us, especially my little girl, for these past 6 years.

Thank you for listening, and bless you all.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
OMYGOSH !!!!!!!!!!!!  :ohmy:

Where is poor Snowy now ??!!!??

Is she on pain meds ??  She must be in TREMENDOUS pain !!!!!!!!!  Poor poor baby !!!!!

In addition to applying to IMOM (did you go to the Financial Aid Section ??http://www.imom.org/fa/index.htm  )

Is your vet a member of AAHA ?? (American Animal Hospital Association) Only your vet can apply for a grant for your fur baby with this organization.   http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/

You can also try:

The Pet Fund: http://thepetfund.com/

If you have a PAWS Chapter in your county ... Pets Are Wonderful Support ... they can sometimes help with vet care.

United Animal Nations (now known as RedRover Relief) http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=28

Care Credit: http://www.carecredi...tmed/whycc.html
You need to apply to Care Credit as you need your deniual/acceptance letter as part of your IMOM App.

PLEASE let us know how Snowy is doing.  And if you can get her in for help !!!  Do not wait with this .... that precious fur baby must be in tremendous pain !!!!!

Please make sure he is eating and drinking and able to go to pass stool and urine without difficulty.  If he starts having difficulty with ANY of this .. or begins vomiting -- PLEASE, take him in to Emergency IMMEDIATELY !!!

If the leg cannot fixed, I'm sure your vet explained he can live out the rest of his years quite well (I would make him an indoor only kitty - if he were mine), as a three-legged kitty.

Keeping you ALL in my prayers .... and please give Snowy gentle pets, kisses and lovin' and :hugs: to Jessi ~
Wishing you ALL the very best,
With MUCH LOVE,
Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

:felineicon:

:heart:  :heart:

Edited by Bandit'sAngel, 28 October 2011 - 12:11 AM.

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for your concern. Snowy is right now holding his own. I was able to get him a shot for pain on Tuesday when I took him to the vet. It helped a lot for the pain as on Wednesday he was able to eat and drink a little. Yesterday & today he also has eaten, drank and used the bathroom. I called back his vet and asked if I should bring him back in for another pain shot. She said as long as he's eating and drinking she didn't want to give him another shot right now.
I dropped of a form from the site here yesterday, along with his x-ray that was taken Tuesday, at the vets that I was referred to by his regular vet and asked them to fill it out and fax it in. I didn't hear from them by business end last night. So I called them today twice, but they didn't get back to me at all today either.
I'm at my wits end. I faxed everything I was supposed to fax to see if I can get help, but I don't know if they faxed in the form I gave them or not. Now they're closed for the weekend, and they have Snowy's x-ray! I don't know what to do.
Other than coming out to eat, drink, or use the bathroom, Snowy's been staying under my bed on his right side. Our daughter pretty much has been keeping vigil on the floor next to our bed after school the past 4 days now.  

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,840 posts
Hi Dave,

Stopping in to check on Snowy's progress.  It is very tough that you don't know the status of the forms.  Do you know whether they are even considering completing them?  

Your tale of Snowy's naming is so cute-- I like an orange kitty with such an original name.  Too many orange kitties named Pumpkin or Orange Boy.
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for checking. I'm afraid that whatever the shot was is either starting to wear off, or he's getting worse just by having the bone hanging inside his leg. He's still eating a little, but I haven't seen him drink at all today, and he made a couple pain sounds earlier this evening when we were trying to pet and comfort him. He hadn't made those sounds since before his shot on Tuesday morning. I don't know if they're thinking abut his case here as I don't know if the vet sent in his/her estamit into them. I sent my paperwork, but to request them to send a application for help from them you have to fill out a form that has a check list on it as of the papers that you have faxed to them. I can't check on the list that the vet sent the papers I gave them as they never told him if they have or not. All I can do is wait till Monday morning and try to get a answer from them. If they haven't sent them by then, or are not even going to end them I found another vet that does the surgery that said they will, but I'll have to go get the x-ray from the 1st one and bring it to them.
          I also went to thepetfund.com but they're not doing emergencies, just non emergencies for pets, at least right now.

Chris 1

Chris 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 874 posts
Hi Dave,  Good job checking around for your options!  I would be on the phone at the crack of dawn Monday with the first vet to see if they were willing to accept the agreement with IMOM and if they faxed in the info needed.  If not, I would then be at there door picking up the xrays and bringing them to the new vet you found along with another set of paperwork for them to fill out and fax ASAP!  This has been going on to long now and no doubt that Snowy is in a great deal of pain as there is nothing stabilizing that hind leg so those bones are grinding on themselves.  Bone pain is excruciating pain so Snowy IS in pain!  Try to keep him as contained as possible so that he is not moving around to much.  The more he moves, the more damage can be done.  
I hope that Snowy is accepted for fundraising as something needs to be done quickly!

Chris

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I agree totally. I have to get somewhere tomorrow with him! Tomorrow night will be a whole week, and he just can't go on like that. I won't stop tomorrow until some vet surgeon faxes in the paperwork!!

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Snowy Update. I FINALLY heard back from the vet!!! I called this morning, had to leave a message because everyone was busy. I told them I dropped of the form last Thursday along with his x-ray and hadn't heard back from them yet. As nicely as I could I asked if they would please call me with some info as to if they were going to fax the info or not. I explained that I needed to pick up the x-ray if they weren't going to do it so I could try another vet. Anyway they finally called back and was just a little snooty as she told me they faxed it last Thursday or Friday! I was just a little ticked off as I had asked on Thursday to be called if or when they faxed so I could do my part. I even called a couple times Friday, when I didn't hear from them Thursday. I talked to a person once, and left a message once, and here she is getting snooty with me on Monday after letting us be in the dark all weekend long.
BUT just the fact they have sent it in, and the fact that Snowys regular vet said the surgeons here are very good allows me to overlook a little snootiness, and to give myself just a little optimistic hope that Snowy might be saved! If you have a moment please pray, or think some positive thoughts that Snowy will be accepted and can be saved! Thank you. :rolleyes:

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,840 posts
I try to always be optimistic, but being a detail person I tend to check and double check everything.

If the information is correct, IMOM should have the vet's paperwork, although the unstable conditions weather wise in the PA, NJ, NY and CT areas, we can't be sure who has power, internet, etc.  If you have sent your information, and the vet has sent theirs, have you received anything back from IMOM acknowledging they have received what they need from all parties?  I'm sitting in a small pocket in NJ that has power, but on all sides I have friends who don't. Lots of times people transmitting data don't check to confirm the transmission was received  :smokin:

I'm wondering if it might be wise to keep Snowy's X-Rays in your possession, just in case you need to move in any direction.    Stay optimistic.  Snowy needs you!
HELP JUST ONE

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for writing. They have agreed to do the surgery so I'll leave the x-ray with them for right now. I've filled out the application, and they have received everything needed to make their decision. All we can do now is wait, and hope. I would like to take a minute to thank everyone here. When we found this site, it was amazing to see that there are people out there who really care and are willing to help others with pets in need. Thank you all!!

Chris 1

Chris 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 874 posts
I am so happy to hear that the vet is cooperating and that IMOM has all the necessary documents to make a decision!  I will be sitting right along with you waiting to hear...... Snowy sounds so very much loved and needs help ASAP so his pain and suffering can stop!  

Chris

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
Dave,

I
m sorry I haven't been here ... my PIN, Bandit, and I have both been sick ...

I've been VERY VERY VERY worried about Snowy and Jessi !!!!!!

What's happening ???  We haven't heard from you in quite awhile - and I am SO concerned something has happened to dear little Snowy.

PLEASE, if you can, would you please be kind enough to let us know what has happend.

I am praying for you, precious Snowy and your sweet Jessi.

Special :hugs: and much Love,

Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

:heart: :heart:

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
I am so proud to let everyone know that we were able to help Snowy today. But this was much due to the fact that David, his father, was on it. He got us everything we needed, and when we said the $ was just to much, he called around to all the places he could find until he found a better more reasonable rate.   He did not give up.  

IMOM was able to pledge $394.50 to help Snowy get the pin in his leg that he so needs.   We able to do so thanks to all the IMOM Angels who donate to the General Fund. Thank you so much for your donations to the General Fund.   Being able to help cases like David/Snowy is amazing. Truly a family who needs the assistance and did all that was possible to do to get Snowy the help he needed.  Even with his posts, you can really see how much Snowy means to them.

Please keep Snowy in your thoughts, as surgery needs to happen now. David will keep us updated on how it goes and when its planned shortly.

Melissa/IMOM
PS. we were going to go with Amputation, because the first vet was so expensive. But David was able to find a vet that would do the amputation for $400, and now the vet decided he would pin the leg for the same price.  Incase anyone was wondering if we thought and discussed that option :)

Edited by Melissa IMOM, 04 November 2011 - 03:57 PM.

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello All! I see the good news has already been posted, so let me then just thank you all so very much! If it hadn't been for all of you and this website, we would of lost Snowy. There i nothing I could of done if it hadn't been for you guys! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! A lot of families have someone, or something, or even a pet that binds them all together in some way. With us it's Snowy. I'll be sure to let everyone know how the surgery went. I'll be dropping him off Tuesday morning at 8:00 am and should be picking him up sometime between 4 and 6 pm. Right now he's about the same as he's been doing. Acting not like he's in pain, but like he's sick. Kind of just laying there. But he's eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom, so we just pretty much try not to move him, just let him rest all he can, and give him a little love here and there. :-)
Thank you all so much! Just knowing in a few days he'll be getting help has made the mood around here a lot better.  

Chris 1

Chris 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 874 posts
Good Luck on Tuesday David & Snowy!  You did a great job David and it shows just how much Snowy means to you.  Snowy is one lucky kitty to have ended up in your family!  It is so funny that after reading how Snowy got his name, now everytime I think about him I am picturing a large Orange Snowcone!  :)

I will be keeping Snowy in my prayers!
Chris

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
One more day!  Tuesday can't come quick enough for Snowy!

Melissa/IMOM

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Tomorrows the day!
I want to thank you all again for everything! Snowy's right here on the bed next to me, and he says thank you too. :-) At least the past 2 nights he's come out from under the bed and has been spending all day and night on our bed, instead of under it. Hopefully everything goes ok tomorrow! I'll let everyone know how it went.

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
::tapping my toes:: worrying about how Snowy is today. I hope everything goes well.  Please let us know......I'll continue to keep him in my thouhgts

Melissa/IMOM

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Snowy had his operation today. But I'll have to wait until tomorrow until I can give a full and more detailed report. :-( I dropped him off at 8am this morning. Signed him in, and left to go home and wait. I was supposed to be able to pick him up this evening. But when I called to find out what time, the receptionist told me he'd have to spend the night. I started thinking something went wrong. I had all sorts of thoughts going through my mind and got scared. But she assured me that the operation went fine, and they were able to fix him. She said it turned out to be a hard surgery and Snowy was out longer than they were comfortable with sending him home right away. She said it was just overnight and I could pick him up tomorrow around 10am. I'll feel alot better when I see him with my own eyes. As it stands it looks like you all saved him and for that I will always be grateful! I'll give a full report tomorrow.
    It's funny though, I actually asked her if there would be other cats there to keep him company. This is the first time since we've gotten him that he's ever spent the night away from us. For a period of a couple months, after we lost our house, we had to stay at a campground, a weekly rate hotel, and even at my oldest daughters 2 bedroom apt. with her and her son. And Snowy was with us every night. I actually feel nervous like a daddy having a child going to his first sleep over!! I'll let you know how he is, what the vet says, and what his prognosis is as soon as I get him home tomorrow.  

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
I'm so glad Snowy got through surgery alright.  :wub:  
Dave you have done an amazing job with all you and your family has been through !!!!

Thank you for caring and loving this sweetie pie and not giving up on getting him care !!! :heart:
Please give him lots of gentle kisses and cuddles from me when you pick him up !!  He may not be too happy with all the 'vet smells' on him.  So, don't be too surprised if he does (or tries to) a lot of licking and washing. ;)

And, :hugs: to you and Jessi !!!  Keeping y'all in my thoughts, heart and prayers.

Always,
Donna and 'The Bandit'  :wub:

:heart:  :heart:

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,840 posts
Can't wait to hear Snowy is back with his family and resting comfortably.  I hope the vet gave him extra TLC.
HELP JUST ONE

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
You remind me of Guy's Dad (another long time PIN that we had here at IMOM). You clearly love Snowy and it shows, and it just gives me goose bumps every time I read a post of yours.  I sure hope there is good news to report this morning with Snowy.  Snowy will be so happy to see you. I can already feel the love radiating out as Snowy sees you for the first time since he got dropped off.

Looking forward to hearing how it all went.

Melissa/IMOM

Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Snowy's home!
Thank you for all your well wishes! Snowy's surgery went really well and he's back here lying next to me right now. His leg is shaved and he has a long row of stitches, but he's back here where he belongs and seems to be OK! The Dr said it'll be awhile before he's able to put weight on his leg due to his age, but that's OK. He's fixed, he's alive, and he's home! :aktion033:
When I got there the Dr. took me into an exam room to show me first Snowy's old x-ray, the one with his bones totally broke in two and the broken pieces like an inch or so away from each other. The he showed me the 2nd x-ray taken after he attached the pieces of bones together with a long pin. He also took the time to explain to me all about the surgery, what to expect in the future, and gave me some liquid pain medicine to give Snowy twice a day. We also made an appointment for a month from now to check and make sure his bones are growing back together.
   I'd like to thank the vet here and let everyone know that they were fantastic and I feel that they went above and beyond to take care of Snowy. Everyone there was nice, friendly, and seemed to really care about the pets that were brought in. I believe they only see dogs and cats, but if you know someone with a dog or cat that needs help I would highly recommend them!  
  :claphands: Lemay Animal Hospital   211 Lemay Ferry Rd. St. Louis MO.

Snowy was so happy to see me when I got there! So much so that I was actually surprised! I know how we feel about him, and I always knew that he at least puts up with us. I always knew he had a special attachment to us, with my daughter most of all. But the welcoming way he greeted me when he I arrived to pick him up almost brought tears to my eyes.
   I was leaving the exam room after talking to the Dr when I heard Snowy as he was brought from the back up to the waiting room. He sounded so miserable, frightened, hurting, and just plain scared! I caught up with the assistant as she brought Snowy to the waiting room in his pet carrier. When she set him down on the floor and I got down there in front he instantly shut up when he seen me. I opened his door and he instantly grabbed my hand and pulled it to his head and makes me scratch his ears while he purred like a freight train! (Something he's only done once since his accident). The assistant came back over and said "Now he calms down"! She said he was just miserable all morning. She told me that he wasn't interested in being petted, talked to or in any way even wanting company. I know he was happy to see even me, (My daughter had to go to school) so much so that on the way home I had him in the front seat with the carrier facing me and the front door open and he had me pet him and purred all 30 + miles home!
  I just hope that all that loving wasn't because last night and this morning he had thought that we had just left him there for good and that he wasn't ever coming home. Anyway after we got him home, gave him some medicine and got him comfortable on the bed I took a couple of pix of Snowy and I'll put them on here tomorrow    

I hope that you all know that you have saved, not just a cat, but a important member of our family. On top of that you have shown my daughter the value of helping those in need, and what good can be done by people that care. Hopefully as she gets older she'll remember this and it'll help her become a caring and helpful person herself.

I'll never be able to repay what you all have done, but I'd like to do something. I don't have money, but maybe if someone in or around St. Louis needs a ride to or from a vet, or maybe needs someone to take care of their pet during an emergency?  

:thanks3:

I'll fix the pix tomorrow and post them here so you can see what your good work has made possible!

Thanx to all!!

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
I keep re-reading this. I don't even have the words to explain how Proud I am to be part of IMOM and part of this IMOM family that made this happen for Snowy and family.   I am looking forward to seeing new pics of Snowy.  Keep up the good work of showing your daughter there are caring people out there and that animals are part of the family. I am glad the experience with the vet was a positive one too.  

Melissa/IMOM

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,876 posts
I think Melissa said it all.  I am so happy for you and your family that Snowy is back home again and will be all better. Your vet sounds wonderful...he took the time to explain everything to you. You do remind me of Mike- Guy's person...everyone here knows that our cats and dogs and pigs and every kind of pet are family members .

I can tell you that your daughter will remember and learn from this experience. When I was very young, ouir family adopted a dog from the local shelter. She got distemper and was not going to live. My sisters and I spent a lot of time with her in our backyard and then my Father took her to the vet for the big sleep. He came back an hour later and gave us some news. Our beloved dog could be saved, but it would be expensive. So, we had to choice and got to vote- give up our summer vacation or save the dog ?  It was an instant, unconditional save the dog from all of us...she lived to be over twenty years old. That is a lesson that will never be forgotten. I think it made all us better people .

What kind of pain med were you given?  I hope it is not metacam...

Looking forward to seeing pictures of Snowy's progress..

IMOM and Magic make miracles happen evey day

Kathy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users