Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Moonshine: cat with fractured jaw

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you Judy! Thank you Kathy!! And thanks to the angel kitties too! The vet just called me!! Surgery went well...they were able to wire the jaw and connect the wire to a tooth that was still intact! The vet sounds optimistic and said she will call me in the morning :)

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,199 posts
Whew!  Thanks for the update. I've been on pins and needles waiting to hear something. I'm so glad the vet is feeling positive. :felineicon:
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks to Kathy and her magic angel kitties :) I truly appreciate all the sentiments everyone has given to us. My dear Moonshine is doing great after her surgery...shes eating on her own!! Soft food of course. The vet is hoping that she will be able to take the wires out after 8 weeks. She says theres swelling and she isnt able to close her mouth all the way. But the vets seem very optimistic! Moonshine is a little fighter thats for sure. Thanks again to everyone that has helped us and been there for us. The vet didnt have an answer as to when Moonshine can come home but I cant wait to do that update!!!! Im so grateful to you all. Youve forever changed me and my faith in people......

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks to Kathy and her magic angel kitties :) I truly appreciate all the sentiments everyone has given to us. My dear Moonshine is doing great after her surgery...shes eating on her own!! Soft food of course. The vet is hoping that she will be able to take the wires out after 8 weeks. She says theres swelling and she isnt able to close her mouth all the way. But the vets seem very optimistic! Moonshine is a little fighter thats for sure. Thanks again to everyone that has helped us and been there for us. The vet didnt have an answer as to when Moonshine can come home but I cant wait to do that update!!!! Im so grateful to you all. Youve forever changed me and my faith in people......

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello everyone!!!! I was afraid my updates werent going thru because my internet wasnt working well on my phone yesturday! (I do most of this via cell phone). We dont have a computer at home. I just wanted to wish everyone a great day! Jacki im glad that you were relieved by the news! Yhat was exactly how I had felt for awhile!! The surgery took a long time but it went well. They still want to keep Moonshine for awhile to monitor her, progress and manage the pain. ( I think they mustve fallen in love with her and want to keep her around longer)!! She is a good girl :) I made a thank you basket for the vets. I widh I could send baskets to everyone at Imom :) just to show my graditude!!!

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
Thank you for letting us know that Moonshine's surgery went well.  I hope she is continuing to recover, and  that she is able to be home with her family very soon.  :)  We'll keep an eye out for more happy updates.

Take care,

Judy G.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,785 posts
Go Moonshine ! I know you will be back home with your Mom soon.

And now, you have an excuse to eat milkshakes ! Or whatever kitty treats are usually off limits ..

Kathy

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Moonshine was doing great today!!! I gave the vets thier thank you basket I made!!! Moonshine was so happy to see me but she was a little shaky and in some pain. But it didnt stop her from giving me kisses :) she was drooling alot though lol....but she looks pretty :) wire comes out in 8 weeks. She may be coming home saturday!!!!!

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you Judy and Kathy for giving us your well wishes for Moonshine :) im so glad you like the updates!!! I love giving them! ill have to check out recipes for kitty shakes! Sounds like a great product to put on the market!! Like a whole line of different flavored kitty shakes...meowk shakes? Lol anyways I cant wait to bring Moonshine home but im nervous to be honest with you. Im hoping I can manage her pain and take as good of care of her as the vets are. they are doing a great job! Im thinking that ill make her a kitty hospital room in my bedroom so I can keep her away from the kids and let her get her rest. Any suggestions as to what I could do to make her more comfy??

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,785 posts
Forgot to mention this:

NO METACAM FOR CATS

Deadly - can give crf and many kitties have become ill with crf or died.
The company that manufactures metacam has paiid out lots of money to crf owners.

Some vets still don't know this so make sure to say no to metacam.

Make sure Moonshine has everything she needs close by.

I would go and get elevated food bowls so she doesn't have to bend over.

Feeding canned food on a saucer...flat plate with a lip works best and make sure it is high up so she can just walk over and eat.

Quiet room..no kids or other pets..lots of love and you will both be fine

Kathy

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the advice Kathy!!! Im finally able to get online today via my cell....moonshine is coming home in the am!!!!! All smiles here :) mommy missed her  Moons!!!!

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the advice Kathy!!! Im finally able to get online today via my cell....moonshine is coming home in the am!!!!! All smiles here :) mommy missed her  Moons!!!!

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Moonshine is home!!!!! She came home yesturday!!! Its been alot of work giving her meds and caring for her. I have to clean her with baby wipes since shes drooling still. She prob wont be able to close her mouth all the way til the wire comes out. But shes eating soft food on her own! And shes purring and cuddling with me! Shes in my bedroom (even though she wants to get out and explore)! Tues she goes for a checkup at the vet...were in bed now so goodnight all...sleep tight! And thank you for giving my moonshine back one of her 9 lives ;)

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Moonshine is home!!!!! She came home yesturday!!! Its been alot of work giving her meds and caring for her. I have to clean her with baby wipes since shes drooling still. She prob wont be able to close her mouth all the way til the wire comes out. But shes eating soft food on her own! And shes purring and cuddling with me! Shes in my bedroom (even though she wants to get out and explore)! Tues she goes for a checkup at the vet...were in bed now so goodnight all...sleep tight! And thank you for giving my moonshine back one of her 9 lives ;)

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
I am so happy to hear that Moonshine is home from the vet, drool and all.  Just think of her as a funny-looking basset hound.  :)

It's really good to hear that she is eating on her own.  I know it's a lot of work.  When my little dog had surgery for a broken leg, I had to get up an hour earlier in the morning to give him his medication and do his physical therapy-but it was so worth the effort.

Keep us updated on how Moonshine progresses, and what the vet says on Tuesday.

Take care,

Judy G.

Moonshinesmom

Moonshinesmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi everybody!! I just wanted to give an update on Moonshines progress....she is doing well!! Shes eating good (soft food still of course). Shes been very cuddly lately. I know the wire must be bothering her but shes getting better as each day passes. Itll be a relief when she gets it out. The vet says shes looking good and is doing better than they expected! Im so.thankful to have her home. Shes so sweet. The baby was using her as a pillow today and she loved it :-) she loves the kids. I had friends over yesturday and upon meeting her they understood right away how special she is! And why we couldnt bear the thought of putting her to sleep. Weve come so far and me and my family AND Moonshine are so grateful!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users