Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Shelter Challenge - Humane Society of Midland County

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

GinaD

GinaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
HAAA HAAAA! :aktion033:  Got It! Be there again Tomorrow! :pawprint:  :pawprint:  :pawprint:
Gina & Mark D &
The Fila Service Crew

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
Thanks Gina.
Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

Huckleberry Hound

Huckleberry Hound

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 366 posts

View Postkuhio98, on 09 October 2011 - 09:06 PM, said:

A dear friend of mine -- and a long-time volunteer at the Humane Society of Midland County (Michigan) has recently been diagnosed with acute myologeneous leukemia (AML).  She was given approximately 6 weeks to live.  

She's fighting with all she has and is starting her second round of chemo next week.  

Her doctor told her to get rid of her cats.  She refused saying that they were responsible for her health and happiness.  But, the was forced to give up her volunteer duties at the shelter.  

It's too late for us to go to medical school and discover the cure for cancer.  But, we can help one of her dreams come true.  

The Animal Rescue Site is holding a Shelter Challenge:  http://www.theanimal....faces?siteId=3

They will give a $5000 grant to the shelter who gets the most overall votes.
They will give a $1000 grant to the top shelter of each State.  

Please take the time to vote each day for Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, MI (screen shot below).

Please cross-post as you feel appropriate.  My dear friend is determined to continue her fight to be with us when the results are announced in December.  

Thank you!

Posted Image

Making sure this stays in focus for all.  Please vote and help honor Rhoda for all the years of caring for these babies.  Please vote every day from now until December 18th.  EVERY VOTE COUNTS.
Pick the Adoption Option - Rescue One in Need

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
She continues to fight.  But, her little body is getting tired.  
Yesterday, she received a plaque from the Humane Society to honor her for all her years volunteering.

Please vote for Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, MI
they have dropped to 5th place in Michigan.  :(

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

View Postkuhio98, on 10 December 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

She continues to fight.  But, her little body is getting tired.  
Yesterday, she received a plaque from the Humane Society to honor her for all her years volunteering.

Please vote for Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, MI
they have dropped to 5th place in Michigan.  :(

Still voting Lisa....even though there's only one more day !!!!!!!

Please tell her she remains in my heart, thoughts and prayers and give her a special *Gentle Hug* from me.

Sending ALL of our LOVE,
And may God bless you ~
Donna and 'The Bandit  :wub:

:felineicon:

:heart:  :heart:

Edited by Bandit'sAngel, 19 December 2011 - 01:34 AM.

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
Thank you Donna.  

Rhoda received good news yesterday.  She is on a new medicine (Neulasta) and it seems to be working.  From Rhoda (FYI - she's been craving fresh fruit/citrus but wasn't allowed on her old medicine.):

My white blood cell count has gone up to 6.1 For the first time since diagnosis it is within normal range. Last week, as you recall, my wbc's were only 800.

My hemoglobin is 9.6, the same as last week.

My red blood cells stayed the same at 3.1.

My ANC number which tells how neutropenic I am is the highest ever at 4.1. I am in the normal range. The first thing I did was to go out and purchase one apple and one orange. I'm going to eat both of them tonight.

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

View Postkuhio98, on 17 December 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

Thank you Donna.  

Rhoda received good news yesterday.  She is on a new medicine (Neulasta) and it seems to be working.  From Rhoda (FYI - she's been craving fresh fruit/citrus but wasn't allowed on her old medicine.):

Thanks be to God !!!!!!   :aktion033:   :happydance:   :aktion033:

I hope she enjoys that apple and orange thoroughly ... and can eat LOTS LOTS more !!!!!!!!  :banana:  :heart:  :banana:

You don't know how big I am smiling over reading this !!!!! :biggrin:

Sending LOTS of special LOVE, HUGS and PRAYERS to you, Rhoda !!!!!  :wub:
And you too Lisa !!!  Thank you for being such an awesome friend !!!!!  :hugs:

:heart: :heart:

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,875 posts

View Postkuhio98, on 17 December 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

Thank you Donna.  

I am so happy for this news. It's wonderful and much deserved that she received a plaque from the Humane Society.
Keep fighting Rhoda!
Posted Image

GinaD

GinaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
:spot Greatest news of the week!!!  :aktion033: Keep up the good faith  :rose: and know  :stripekitty: all good things work together  :animcndc_sm: for the good of those that love the Lord!!! :animcnda_lg: We will keep up the prayers!  :pawprint:  :pawprint:  :pawprint:
Gina & Mark D &
The Fila Service Crew

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
Today's the last day of the Shelter Challenge.   Please get your votes in.

Thank you for all who voted.  

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,875 posts
I wish we could have got them to the top spot for Rhoda and the animals...

Tell her she needs to hang around for the next challenge so we have a chance to get them up higher.

Merry Christmas to u and ur family Lisa, and Merry Christmas to Rhoda and her family.
Hugs.
Posted Image

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
Lisa, please pass on our hugs to Rhoda.  Let her know we gave it our best shot; and are ready to do it again for her!

Does the addition of the Neulasta mean Rhoda is still undergoing chemo treatments?
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

View PostCatPaws, on 19 December 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

Lisa, please pass on our hugs to Rhoda.  Let her know we gave it our best shot; and are ready to do it again for her!

AMEN !!!!!!!

Does the addition of the Neulasta mean Rhoda is still undergoing chemo treatments?

I was wondering the same thing.

Sending LOTs of special hugs and extra special wishes for a Blessed and Merry Christmas for your Rhoda and her family, and for you Lisa and your family !!!!!

:hugs:  and MUCH MUCH LOVE,
ALWAYS,
Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

GinaD

GinaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Merry Christmas to All!

Please let Rhoda know - "Keep The FAITH! We did and now are looking at the light at the end of the tunnel. She and her family is in our thoughts and prayers and we give our richest and warmest blessing to her whole family.

Gina & Mark D &
The Fila Service Crew

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
Sorry  ~ Didn't mean to leave anyone hanging.  I've just been swamped with work.  I'm trying to count that as a blessing.  Afterall, I'm employed when so many aren't.  So, here's the scoop from Rhoda today.

Chemotherapy has been stopped permanently. It was taking my white blood cells to the danger level. I will be kept alive now with periodic blood transfusions. Platelets are a risk according to the oncologist. And eventually blood transfusions will affect my liver and spleen. I was only supposed to live for three to four months and it has now been over four months. I am truly blessed and the power of prayer is evident each day of my life.

Currently, I don't feel as though I'm dying. My bones hurt a lot and the muscles in my arms and shoulders seem to be affected by something but the doctor doesn't know what, and I am quite tired. Other than that, I feel pretty darned upbeat and I'm going to stay this way as long as I'm conscious to the best of my ability.

I feel that I am receiving so many blessings here on earth these past few months that when I do die there won't be anything left for me in Heaven. I cannot explain it - why I feel this way - but I'm blessed beyond words. I don't know what to say anymore. Thank you's aren't enough. I am unable to express my heart. And you have been such a big part of this. Your picture is still on my dining room wall, along with Susan Boyle's and everyone who comes into my home wants to know who you are, because on the printout of your picture I have written "Lisa - A Very Special Lady".

(I had sent her my Avatar photo that shows me on my bike with Kuhio in my backpack.)

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread that a cyber friend of Rhoda's just happens to know Susan Boyle's brother.  Here's an update from Rhoda.

Just three days ago I received a DVD from Scotland with a compilation of Susan Boyle's television appearances. The DVD is engraved in gold lettering with the words "Rhoda, may the Lord watch over and protect you. Love, Susan."

So many people -- who have never even met Rhoda -- have gone out of their way to honor her devotion to animals and her courage in facing cancer.  Here's another example.

My door buzzer rang. I opened the door. We waited. No one came down. I went back to dining room table where we were visiting. Soon a knock came to the door. There was a package I had to sign for. The guy went upstairs instead of down to find my apartment.

It was from a G. Lerman in New York. And the front of the package had Gwen Lerman's name on it. I opened the package and it was the book "Homer's Odyssey". I thought, 'oh, how interesting that I receive a book from a Gwen Lerman when Gwen Cooper authored the book. But I said to Monica "Oh, I already have the book. I just loaned it out to Rachelle a couple of days ago." Monica said, "when you send your thank you though, you won't be able to tell them you already have the book." Then I started reading the letter. I will copy it word for word. I AM TOTALLY OVER THE MOON!!!

The letter read:

Dear Rhoda,

Neil Wackerle wrote to me on your behalf, but truthfully I was happy for a reason to get in touch with you, as I have long wanted to thank you for the lovely review of "Homer's Odyssey" that you left on Amazon back when the book first came out.  I'm not sure if you could know how much that meant to me.  You work so hard to write a book, and then comes the day when you have to send it out there and wait to see how people react.  To know that others read Homer's story and ended up loving him as much as I do is an indescribable feeling, and I am grateful to you beyond words for that.

I'm also grateful for all the work you've done on behalf of animals in need, and cats like Homer who would otherwise never get a "second chance" if not for the tireless - and too often unsung - efforts of people like you.  There is a saying in the Talmud that to save one life is to save the world entire.  You have saved so many lives - not just the lives of the animals you rescue, but also in the sense of all the love you've brought into the lives of those who come to know and eventually adopt these animals.  As someone who adopted three rescue cats, without whom my life would not be what it is today, I thank you for that on behalf of us all.  The world is an infinitely better place for having had you in it.

I'm sending along an autographed first edition of "Homer", along with one of my publisher's original photo proofs used by the art department to compile the book.  My publisher sent them to me after the book came out, and they've been sitting in a folder in a drawer since then.  I haven't been able to bear to part with them, but also felt that "displaying" them in my home might make me look...well...a little obsessive.  The photo I'm sending you now (which you may recognize from the title page) is my absolute favorite, and I can't think of anybody else I'd rather see have it.

What I have to give is very little in comparison to all that you given already, but perhaps knowing that your work has touched those beyond the people who know you personally will mean something in iteself.

You have all my best wishes.

Gwen

P.S.  Forgive me having typed this instead of writing it by hand.  I've been told time and again that my handwriting is illegible to "normal" people.  :)

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,875 posts
Rhoda is obviously a very special person...just like u Lisa.

I hope she knows that many of us have had, and will continue to have her in our prayers.

Hugs!
Posted Image

GinaD

GinaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello One & All, especially Rhoda, :hugs:

We are continuing in prayer and faith  :animcndc_sm: that all will be well with this woman's {Rhoda's} magnificent soul! We have posted the link to our FB pages...I will get it on blogspot and about.me pages too for further help! :rose:

Tootz is doing soooo gooood and much happier until he sees Sarge going to work with us...then the "bugle boy" goes into effect...

Be well Rhoda and keep the faith! There will be more than plenty when you do get to heaven - please don't make that any time soon.

Gina & Mark D &
The Fila Service Crew

GinaD

GinaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
About.me ; FB; blogspot; & meetup.com/; this has now been added as NEWS and hopefully our people will do the right thing as well!
Gina & Mark D &
The Fila Service Crew

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
Lisa,

Thank you sooo much for sharing those beautiful letters and excerpts.  She is truly such an exceptional soul, and remains in my prayers.

Still happily voting for the Humane Society of Midland County, Lisa....

Please tell Rohda she remains in my heart, thoughts and prayers and give her a special *Gentle Hug* from me.

Sending ALL of our LOVE,
And may God bless you ~
Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
Your prayer and magnets are working!  Rhoda went to see her Oncologist yesterday.....

He said I don't have to see him for another three months. I said, "you think I'll still be here." He said, "you are strong woman. I do think you will be based on what has transpired so far."

In addition, the shelter where she volunteers has arranged for the author of Homer's Odyssey http://www.imom.org/...?showtopic=8275 and her husband to attend their annual Ties and Tails fundraiser in October.  Rhoda is making plans to stay alive and attend!

If I missed anyone wanting to send her a fridge magnet, please let me know.  

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
Our dear, sweet, precious Rhoda Palmateer passed away at 9:30 EST tonight.

Please keep her family in your thoughts and prayers.  

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
Lisa, I am so sorry.  I had hoped Rhoda could fight the battle long enough to make it to the Ties and Tails.
She will surely be missed here, but I'm sure the angels in heaven are glad to see her.
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,875 posts
Oh, I had a feeling it was going to be bad news before I opened ur post. I am just so sorry for her family and her friends like u...and all the animals I had hoped she could still help here on Earth. I know she is surrounded by angels of all sorts at The Bridge.

I'm really sorry Lisa.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users