Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Shelter Challenge - Humane Society of Midland County

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
A dear friend of mine -- and a long-time volunteer at the Humane Society of Midland County (Michigan) has recently been diagnosed with acute myologeneous leukemia (AML).  She was given approximately 6 weeks to live.  

She's fighting with all she has and is starting her second round of chemo next week.  

Her doctor told her to get rid of her cats.  She refused saying that they were responsible for her health and happiness.  But, the was forced to give up her volunteer duties at the shelter.  

It's too late for us to go to medical school and discover the cure for cancer.  But, we can help one of her dreams come true.  

The Animal Rescue Site is holding a Shelter Challenge:  http://www.theanimal....faces?siteId=3

They will give a $5000 grant to the shelter who gets the most overall votes.
They will give a $1000 grant to the top shelter of each State.  

Please take the time to vote each day for Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, MI (screen shot below).

Please cross-post as you feel appropriate.  My dear friend is determined to continue her fight to be with us when the results are announced in December.  

Thank you!

Posted Image

Edited by kuhio98, 10 January 2012 - 10:28 PM.

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
I meant to put this in the Water Bowl.  Can someone move it for me?
Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
My friend started her second round of chemo yesterday.  I'm taking that as a good sign as I would think if you were given 6 weeks to live, the doctors might figure that chemo would not buy her any more time.  Fingers, paws and whiskers crossed.  

Thank you for your support.  Please vote once a day.  You do not need to register with the site so they won't be sending you e-mails.

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
Still holding at #5 for the State of Michigan this morning.
But, I did notice that the shelter moved up nation-wide from 131 to 111 over night. Jumped 20 spots!

Still cross-posting trying to get them to #4 (and eventually #1).

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,116 posts
Lisa, just wanted u to know I have been voting every day since u posted.

My prayers have been heading up, and will continue for ur friend.

It's SO easy to vote. Like Lisa said u don't need to register. Just be sure and type in Humane Society of Midland County, and put the state as MI and the city as Midland. Then click VOTE. EASY!!! It takes a couple minutes...can u please take the time for someone who is fighting the battle of her life...and refuses to give up her kitties too.
She sounds like an awesome person, and I wish her strength.

Hugs.
Posted Image

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
Lisa ~

I am SOOO very very sorry for what your friend is going through.  Please let her know I am praying for her healing and that all will bew well with her and her kitties.  May an Army of God's Angels surround them and protect them all.  :heart:  Sending special *HUGS* and much much love to them all oo.

Voting is EASY everyone.  Just Copy & Paste:  Humane Society of Midland County
'Remember' the state:  MI
Click on the Link (it will take you off the IMOM Board):  http://www.theanimal....faces?siteId=3
Paste the Name in, and then ----
Click Vote

It will then take you to a space for confirmation and VOILA !!!!!!

PLEASE, when you have finished - also Click The Animal Rescue Site button on the Right for Free Food and Care.
It only takes a second :heart:

Lisa, let her know we are doing what we can.  I only wish I could do more.

God bless you and special prayers and *HUGS* for all you are trying to do for your dear friend.

With ALL of our love,
Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

:felineicon:

:heart: :heart:

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
Thank you all so much.  Please continue to vote and get the word out.  She is having a very bad day today.  
Itchy rash from the chemo.  An infection in her toe that is driving her mad with pain.  She is getting a blood transfusion today.  She is fighting so hard to get into remission and outlive the doctor's prediction.  

Today she is angry.  Cancer isolates her from what she want to do.  She can't go to her shelter anymore.  She has to sit in the chapel at church because she can't be around too many people.  She has to wear a mask all the time to ward off infection.  

I would love to give her some good news.  So, I will let her know that many angels out there are praying for her and voting for her shelter.  I hope it will raise her spirits.

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,220 posts
I voted and will spread the word. Best of luck to your friend.
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

View PostJacki IMOM, on 18 October 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

I voted and will spread the word. Best of luck to your friend.

Jacki ~ Thank you for spreading the word.  They are just a small shelter -- they took it over from the last group who still used a gas chamber!   It will be hard to compete with all the large shelters (Detroit, etc.) but all we can do is try.  

Today she manned the phones at home while her brother was undergoing cancer surgery.  (Man, this family has been ravaged by cancer).  They caught his cancer early so he's expected to make a full recovery.  

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
Here's a link to a writeup on my friend before she got sick and had to stop volunteering at her shelter.

http://www.hsomc.org....m_medium=email

Please continue to vote for Humane Society of Midland County in the Shelter Challenge. They are still holding as #5 for Michigan.  I don't MySpace or Facebook so if you have any other suggestions for getting the word out, please let me know.  

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
Drum roll please...............!
Posted Image

Up to #4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Thank you for helping me get the word out.  Keep up the good work  and we'll see if we can move them up some more.  

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,887 posts
Hi Lisa,  Thanks for keeping us updated.  Just want you to know I'm signing on every day, voting for Humane Society of Midland County, and pausing to think of your friend, and praying for her miracle.
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
Ack, I just saw this. Is it to late??? I better go check.
Melissa/IMOM

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

View Postkuhio98, on 24 October 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

Drum roll please...............!
Posted Image

Up to #4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Thank you for helping me get the word out.  Keep up the good work  and we'll see if we can move them up some more.  

AWESOME Lisa !!!!!!  :banana:   :bravo:  :banana:

And FANTASTIC Article about your friend !!!!!!   :wub:   :claphands:   :wub:

How are she and her brother both doing ??

Please let her know they both remain in my heart, thoughts and prayers !!!!!!  :wub: :heart: :wub:  I too, continue prayers to St. Jude for a miracle for her.

God bless you for being such a loving and special friend.  :hugs:

Much Much Love,

:heart:  :heart:

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

View PostCatPaws, on 27 October 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

Hi Lisa,  Thanks for keeping us updated.  Just want you to know I'm signing on every day, voting for Humane Society of Midland County, and pausing to think of your friend, and praying for her miracle.

Nope, it's not too late to vote.  Voting ends December 18th.
They are still holding on to 4th.  Doing everything we can to get the word out to try to get into 3rd.

One thing I discovered is that you can vote once a day from each browser.  I have Explorer and Firefox on my computer, so I can give them 2 votes a day!

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,116 posts
still voting Lisa.
Posted Image

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

View PostBandit, on 02 November 2011 - 04:10 AM, said:

AWESOME Lisa !!!!!!  :banana:   :bravo:  :banana:

And FANTASTIC Article about your friend !!!!!!   :wub:   :claphands:   :wub:

How are she and her brother both doing ??

Please let her know they both remain in my heart, thoughts and prayers !!!!!!  :wub: :heart: :wub:  I too, continue prayers to St. Jude for a miracle for her.

God bless you for being such a loving and special friend.  :hugs:

Much Much Love,

Donna ~ I will pass on your good thoughts and wishes.  
She's still hanging in there.  She had a blood draw last week and seems reluctant to reveal the results -- so I assume that means the numbers did not improve, so she's no closer to remission.  :(  

The treatment has caused a diverticulitis flare up which is making her uncomfortable but she is receiving treatment.

Her brother's surgery went well, but now they say the weren't able to get all the cancer so he will need to receive radiation and/or chemo to see if they can get the rest of it before it spreads.  And, if that weren't bad enough, one of her daughters ended up in the hospital for several days with a very bad urinary tract infection.  She went to the doctor with a mild but nagging back ache that she couldn't explain.  Turns out it was a  bad infection and she needed to be hospitalized.  

Whew!  Her family is having a lot of medical issues right now, but she is keeping her spirits up.  And I think a positive attitude will help heal her little body.  :)

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
Well, it's been a month since the diagnosis.  Two rounds of chemo.

Yesterday, the doctors told her that the chemo is not working.  There is nothing more they can do for her.  

I am encouraging her to get in touch with Cancer Centers of America.  But, she is not interested in more treatment at this time.  I hope that after the shock wears off, she will make the call.

Please keep those prayers and votes coming.  

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
Still holding in 4th place.  Please keep voting and cross-posting.  Any ideas on how to get the word out for more votes?

Posted Image

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,887 posts
Still voting for Rhoda.  

Hoping others will vote for Humane Society of Midland County too.

Edited by CatPaws, 19 November 2011 - 08:19 AM.

HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

View PostCatPaws, on 19 November 2011 - 08:18 AM, said:

Still voting for Rhoda.  

Hoping others will vote for Humane Society of Midland County too.
Thank you so much!  I'm still voting too.  Still spreading the word.  

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
Hi Lisa,
I'm sorry I haven't been posting.  :blush:  But I wanted you to know I'm voting, and my prayers continue - for Rhoda, her brother and her entire family !!!!!  I am SO very sorry they have been having such a difficult time of things.  Did she get in touch with Cancer Treatment Centers of America ?? [cancercenter.com]  I "do" hope and pray she is working with them.  They do quite a lot of wonderful things with advanced and complicated cancer cases.

Let her know she remains in my heart and prayers.  And, I'm continuing to vote for Midland County !!
My computer is working quite right, so I can't show y'all the top 10.  I can only sadly report, Humane Society of Midland County is not among them. :((
Seems as though many have been waiting until the last weeks to vote.  C'mon y'all --- Let's get out there and RALLY for Rhoda !!!!!!  

Extra special :hugs: to you, and may God bless you, always !!!!  ♥

Much Much Love,
Donna and 'The Bandit' too :wub:

:heart: :heart:

Edited by Bandit'sAngel, 22 November 2011 - 06:00 PM.

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
Thanks Donna (and Bandit). :)  I know Rhoda will appreciate hearing the news.  

Midland Humane Society is in around 90th place for the US.  But, we always figured that large cities would have more of a chance of winning the top prize.  Instead, we're hoping to get Midland to first place for the State of Michigan.  If we do, they will get $1000.  

We have less than a month to go and are still in 4th.  It's not looking good right now but all we can do is keep trying, right?    

Precious Rhoda has decided not to have any more aggressive treatment.  We've tried to interest her in at least contacting Cancer Centers of America to see if they can help her, but she has decided not to.  She will continue to get blood transfusions and may even agree to a 3rd round of chemo (though the doctors say it's not really working).    

I respect her decision, but it is so hard to accept that there are no other alternatives out there.  I told her I wouldn't badger her about it, but I'm saying my prayers that her family
will encourage her when they all get together at Thanksgiving.  

I'll keep you posted.

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
The Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, MI has dropped back to 5th place.

Please remember to vote once a day -- from each browser on your computer.  

Thank you.

My friend is still fighting.  She has already lived past the 6-week prognosis.  She has decided to make each holiday her goal.  So, she'll fight to make it to Christmas....then New Years...then Valentine's Day....

GinaD

GinaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
:) Hi Lisa,

Hope all is well with you. You can count on The Fila Service Crew to vote for HSMC...it is the least we can do for all that you guys have put up with from us! :blink:

We are still pushing through.  :bone: Poor Tootz is still with the gimpy dance. We took a walk in Walmart today and I had to use my poor bugle boy to get me down and then up again off the floor - one of my bouts, and I tried not to put my weight on his hind end. His training is so good that he moved himself into the "help-down/Help up" positions without hesitation! :pawprint:  :pawprint:  :pawprint:

As of this evening  :happydance: The FilaServiceCrew  :happydance: is officially  :pp_animal_556: a Non-Profit!  :claphands: It seems like it happened all at once - but then again it also seems to have taken forever...maybe now people will start to donate. We hope anyway! :pawprint:  :pawprint:  :pawprint:

Be well and know you and Rhoda and her fuzzies are in our prayers. So is IMOM and Company!

Gina & Mark D &
The Fila Service Crew

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
Gina ~ Thank you for voting for Midland Humane.  
And congratulations on becoming a non-profit.

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
Hi Lisa ...

Just checking in.  Wanted to see how Rhoda and her family is doing. ♥  I'm still voting.

Please let her know she contunues to be in my heart, thoughts and prayers.

Sending LOTS of special :hugs: to you too !!

Love always,

Donna and Her Bandit :wub:

P.S.  CONGRATS Gina on your 501 © 3 Status !!!!    :luck:   Keeping fingers & paws crossed.

:heart:

Edited by Bandit'sAngel, 07 December 2011 - 03:28 PM.

GinaD

GinaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi EveryOne! B)

I have not been able to find the link... :angry: I went there and can't find the voting/nominating thing. I keep getting a page asking for a name, first and last and of course I don't know it. Can you get me the right link?? :unsure:

Thanks, :bone:  I am just hoping and praying that this gift of finances to become a Non-profit is just the beginning for bigger and better things to come in our little A A County...Maybe :bowwow: , GOD willing :animcndc_sm: , we will one day be as big and great as IMOM.  :pp_animal_564: LOL...I have high hopes. Can't help my dreams and aspirations! :blush:

We are still holding our own here...rainy and nasty here today, gimpy is bothering all of us today...we are all feeling the weather...so...anyway

Be well all and we will check in later/tomorrow/soon! :pawprint:  :pawprint:  :pawprint:

Gina & Mark D &
The Fila Service Crew

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
Gina ~ I just tried the link in the first post of this thread and it works for me.  
The first time you vote, you have to type the name in.  See the example in the first post.  Once you type it in and hit search, it should pop up for you.  

GinaD

GinaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks Lisa...I will do it right now! TTYL :minichat6:
Gina & Mark D &
The Fila Service Crew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users