Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Very slow for Emergency?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

enerGpro

enerGpro
  • Members
  • 2 posts
My daughter sent me this link for help.  I am dealing with fly strike and the procedure to ask for application takes 12 plus hours.  Flies can lay and hatch eggs in as little as 8 hours when conditions are right.  And they are ripe right now in this heat.  12 hours is going to mean his death so I have elected to have his euthanized as well rather than let the maggots eat him alive.  

My poor little aussie dog got attacked by neighbors dogs who jumped into our dog pen where he was.  While we live on 20 acres and the dogs are out when we are home, we always secure them when we are gone so nothing happens to them like coyotee's, snake bites, even getting close to a road and run over.  None of my dogs have ever been hurt.    

The day this happened, we took our 16 almost 17 year old dog to be euthanized as it was time... and while we were gone, they came over and beat him up.  3 very deep puncture wounds.  He has never offered to escape his pen in 7 years but did so probably out of fear for his life.  When we returned from the euthanasia, he was missing.  We looked everywhere and just about gave up hope when the next evening, we see him limbering his way up to the house.  

Those bite wounds were full and I mean full of maggots.  Fly Strike had begun so we called the vet immediately after hours.  I started cleaning them out and flushing the bites.  When the vet called, she said this is perfect.  Even though we described everything in detail and offered to email pics, she didnt think it an emergency.  She was wrong!  The next morning he seemed better but by that evening, new spots of raw wet skin was appearing en masse.  They were eating him alive!!  We again called the vet after hours and insisted to bring him in.  This new vet contradicted everything the first vet had told us and I am a little upset that my dog suffered.  

I have been out of work for 2 years.  The vet won't take payments.  Care Credit won't approve me and I spent every penny I had on the emergency call last night.  So I turned to imom.  

There is no way to contact anyone for help.  No way to flag a dire emergency and the process can take 12 plus hours.  Besides antibiotics and pain medication, the dead skin needs surgury to be removed.  

I'm just at a loss.  I didn't want to lose both my dogs in the same week but I can not let them just eat him to death and I feel I wasted valuable time pursuing help here.

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Instead of writing a lengthy email complaining about IMOM, try contacting the Committee at gf@imom.org to see if your application can be processed sooner - assuming you provide all the information needed as quickly as possible.  I don't know if it's possible, as IMOM is an all-volunteer organization, but they certainly try to hustle for true emergencies.

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,920 posts

View PostKim, on 30 August 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

Instead of writing a lengthy email complaining about IMOM, try contacting the Committee at gf@imom.org to see if your application can be processed sooner - assuming you provide all the information needed as quickly as possible.  I don't know if it's possible, as IMOM is an all-volunteer organization, but they certainly try to hustle for true emergencies.
Twelve hours is the window we state as our normal timeframe.  We can definitely move more quickly IF you and your vet send us everything we need the first time, so we don't have to go back and forth with emails.  As Kim suggested, the time you spent writing would have been better used following our steps to apply.  I suggest you get going.

And please keep in mind that we are volunteers.  We have our own lives, work, families, pets and responsibilities that we need to take care of too.  We'll do our best to help as fast as possible but it's not fair to expect that we're an emergency response group staffed 24/7.  We're a small group trying to move mountains to help other people's pets, just like yours.  Do your part, and we'll do ours.

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

enerGpro

enerGpro
  • Members
  • 2 posts
I was ready before I even got your application, which I am not supposed to get until my vet sends you the paperwork, that I downloaded to attach via email to him.  

I did not see any contact info....no email....just following along pages of links but I can assure you, I have all my doc's ready.  

I guess people are busy, with their lives, which makes it hard for me to recommed anyone donate to you.  I have done 83 MILLION in construction and as a woman, that is beyond outstanding.  So trust me, besides having my life, when I worked, I handled it all.  

So thanks bitches for kicking when someone is down and reaching out.  Its why I work with men.  And why, I have been successful at getting Grant funding in the past.  But not for you.  

The dog is gone.  

View PostCindy/IMOM, on 30 August 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

Twelve hours is the window we state as our normal timeframe.  We can definitely move more quickly IF you and your vet send us everything we need the first time, so we don't have to go back and forth with emails.  As Kim suggested, the time you spent writing would have been better used following our steps to apply.  I suggest you get going.

And please keep in mind that we are volunteers.  We have our own lives, work, families, pets and responsibilities that we need to take care of too.  We'll do our best to help as fast as possible but it's not fair to expect that we're an emergency response group staffed 24/7.  We're a small group trying to move mountains to help other people's pets, just like yours.  Do your part, and we'll do ours.

Cindy/IMOM

minnie143

minnie143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
I am sorry for your loss and sorry to say that IMOM is right. You wasted time being negative instead of working on the solution. I delt with my own emergency last week, and these so called "IMOM bitches" helped my baby raise money in less than 12 hours. You state that you are such an outstanding woman but that is not how you sound. The IMOM volunteers are more outstanding than you could ever be. It would have been nice to read about your sweet dog and maybe a name. It just sounded so cold, and that is not needed here. I support the IMOM bitches 100% and I am sorry that your experience did not go so well.

Jennifer

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,136 posts

View Postminnie143, on 30 August 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

I am sorry for your loss and sorry to say that IMOM is right. You wasted time being negative instead of working on the solution. I delt with my own emergency last week, and these so called "IMOM bitches" helped my baby raise money in less than 12 hours. You state that you are such an outstanding woman but that is not how you sound. The IMOM volunteers are more outstanding than you could ever be. It would have been nice to read about your sweet dog and maybe a name. It just sounded so cold, and that is not needed here. I support the IMOM bitches 100% and I am sorry that your experience did not go so well.

Jennifer

VERY well said, Jennifer.
Posted Image

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,920 posts

View Postminnie143, on 30 August 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

I support the IMOM bitches 100% and I am sorry that your experience did not go so well.
Jennifer
Thank you for supporting us.  All our hearts were broken when Minnie passed.  We'd go the last mile for any pet.  When an owner gives up before even trying, it's even more tragic.  Minnie had EVERY chance, thanks to our donors, and what you were willing to do for her. I promise you that when I look at my Squeak, I will give her an extra squeeze for Minnie.  She's not forgotten.

I hope we can help this pet just as much.

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

minnie143

minnie143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank You for the extra squeeze. The process does not take long, and the best thing is to drive to your vet to have them fill out the paper work and watch them fax it. For a family in need of assistance, IMOM is the best place for support in more ways than just funding. Being able to help one pet is better than none, and I don't know how you guys do all that you do. Don't let the sour suzies bring you down. Your generosity does not go unnoticed.

Jennifer

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Electronic hugs to you, Jennifer!  :claphands:

To "the dog's" lovely owner:  When you get done bathing in your own fabulousness, you better start looking for an all-male group with salaried, 24/7 staff to "service you" next time you have an emergency with a pet.  It's going to take you quite a while to find said group because it doesn't exist.  

Proud to be an IMOM bitch.  :smokin:

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,920 posts
Wow.  This person doesn't even give us a chance to help, doesn't bother to try and apply and then blames us for the loss of "the dog"?  Someone call Anderson Cooper, this qualifies for his "ridiculist".

Whoever you are, know this:  YOU let your dog down.  YOU failed your dog.  Not us.  You can't blame someone for not helping when you never even asked for the help.

I'm not going to allow this malcontent to try and sour the spirit of this forum.  I understand that it's natural to lash out when there's a loss, but we've had losses too.  There's enough sadness with the deaths of Minnie and Jessi without this meaningless spite and anger.  I can only imagine how you feel reading this, Jennifer, knowing you DID everything right and Minnie still died - and knowing this dog died needlessly.

Godspeed, sweet dog.  We cared even though we never had the chance to tell you.

This thread is closed.

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,226 posts
Could all of this have been avoided if you had left "the dog" inside while you were away from home?
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users