Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Sarah has pyometra, needs surgery ASAP

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello everyone,

It's a little after midnight and we just got home or I would've posted earlier. We went to see Sarah tonight then we went to see my oldest son Ryan because he was in a horrrible accident this morning. He flipped his truck several times and it landed on it's roof and then caught fire. He was able to get out though. One thing after another isn't it.

Anyway, Sarah is doing wonderful!!! Before we even got there we called a second time too see how she was doing and they said she got up and was walking under her own power. We walked in to where she was and she perked right up and stood up. They let her come out of the cage but she still has an IV hooked up so she couldn't go far or she would pull it out. She kept trying to get past us by laying on her stomach and scooting and we kept having to hold her back. She wanted to leave! We brought her a bandanna and tied it around her with Stephanie's scent all over it. Dr Chalker, the vet, wasn't there but the nurse that assisted her was and she was the one that took us back. She's so nice. She's the one who took the picture below. Hopefully she gets to come home tomorrow. The house seems so empty without her here. All of this would've never been possible if it wasn't for your kind hearts. We can't thank you enough. We told the story at our church and everyone was touched and a lot of them started crying.

Here are some of the pictures we took tonight, all except for the first one, which is for comparison. Click for a larger image.

Attached File  Normal Size Uterus.jpg   125.59K   16 downloads

Attached File  Sarahs Uterus02.jpeg   88.18K   20 downloads

Attached File  Sarah11.jpg   257.04K   22 downloads

Attached File  Sarah12.jpg   309.05K   17 downloads
(starting from the back - L to R - Nathan, Stephanie, Sarah & Jacob :banana:)

Attached File  Sarah13.jpg   366K   16 downloads
(L to R - Stephanie, Sarah & Charlotte the nurse)

Talk to everyone tomorrow. Have a good night and day!!

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
That uterus is ENORMOUS.  Poor girl, she must have been in a lot of pain.  And it's not surprising that she's running a fever, given the amount of infection in her body.  She's going to feel so much better after a few more days of internal healing.  

It's good to know that Sarah is in caring hands (they're veterinary technicians, not nurses), but I'm sure she'd rather be home.  So we'll cross our fingers that she will be back with your family soon.

Hope your son recovers well also.

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

View PostKim, on 04 August 2011 - 01:12 AM, said:

That uterus is ENORMOUS.  Poor girl, she must have been in a lot of pain.  And it's not surprising that she's running a fever, given the amount of infection in her body.  She's going to feel so much better after a few more days of internal healing.  

It's good to know that Sarah is in caring hands (they're veterinary technicians, not nurses), but I'm sure she'd rather be home.  So we'll cross our fingers that she will be back with your family soon.

Hope your son recovers well also.

Yea, she's not running a fever at all anymore. She hasn't had a fever since this morning. They said she was walking around today and she kept trying to play with the cats. They said she's eating, drinking and barking. So she's doing really well. And SHE called herself Nurse Charlotte so that's what we call her nurse, out of respect, since she is viewing this forum and graciously allowed us to use her photo. I was a medic for over 10 years so I knew the technical term. We can't wait to go get her tomorrow.

Edited by Matthew Malicoat, 04 August 2011 - 05:33 AM.

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,840 posts
Sarah certainly is a momma's girl.  I can't tell whether the relief that is so evident in her face is because she knows you came back for her, or because the pain has been eased.  Great that she is doing so well.  Super that her temperature returned to normal so quickly.  With the size of that pus filled infection (formerly a uterus), it's amazing it has.    GOOD JOB Doc and all the team, especially Charlotte, who obviously cares for her patient.

I'm happy Ryan was not seriously hurt in the accident.  There are some things in life that can't be replaced.
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,215 posts
I'm so happy that Sarah has had successful surgery and will soon be home with her family.

Matthew, I am hopeful that you and your family will use this experience to help educate people about the importance of spay and neuter. Everyone knows there is a huge overpopulation of animals but not all know of the health risks for intact animals. Posted Image
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,028 posts
WOW! From the look of it, Sarah had more angels then just the IMOM angels looking over her. It's just miraculous it didn't rupture.

I am so glad her temp is back down, and it's looking like she is getting back to being Sarah.

It's wonderful Stephanie and Sarah have the mother/daughter bond. It looks though like she loves everyone.

Thanks again IMOM angels!

Thanks to Charlotte, the veterinarian and all the staff-wonderful job to all!

Hugs to Sarah!

Cindy

P.S. I hope ur son heals quickly.
Posted Image

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

View PostKim, on 02 August 2011 - 09:45 PM, said:

Please thank the vet tech for taking a photo that can be shared with others because I truly think that people don't "get it" when you just talk about "uterine infection."

Again, thank you to Charlotte for not only taking good care of Sarah, but documenting what can happen to an unspayed female.  A picture is worth 1,000 words.  

Thank you also to the skilled veterinarian who navigated a difficult surgery.  I wonder if Sarah's bladder could even be expressed before surgery, knowing that applying pressure in that area could cause the oversized uterus to rupture.  

We're very glad to hear that Sarah is bouncing back quickly, esp. given her age.  She's quite the girl!!

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

View PostCatPaws, on 04 August 2011 - 07:18 AM, said:

I can't tell whether the relief that is so evident in her face is because she knows you came back for her, or because the pain has been eased.  Great that she is doing so well.
Hi CatPaws. I'm thinking it's probably a little bit of both. We all feel so horrible that she had to go through this. If only we had known the health risk. It's not like were bad people, we just weren't informed or educated or however you want to say it. We thank God that most of the people here on IMOM have been very, very supportive, not only emotionally but also informatively, without making us feel like horrible people and that what has happened was not because of sheer neglect.

View PostJacki IMOM, on 04 August 2011 - 10:00 AM, said:

Matthew, I am hopeful that you and your family will use this experience to help educate people about the importance of spay and neuter. Everyone knows there is a huge overpopulation of animals but not all know of the health risks for intact animals.
Hi Jacki. My cousin works for a printing company and he is having 1,000 fliers made up (for a start) per our request using the pictures that I posted....FOR FREE!!! Isn't that great? He already gave us 100 and we've already distributed those to people in our church and also my other cousin owns a movie theater and he took 50 of them to put on display for hand out. He'll take more when we get the rest. We also have two more pastors in our family that are going to be taking some for their churches also. So, it's a start. Like I mentioned, if we had known the health risk this would have never happened.

UPDATE:

We called the vet and was going to go pick up Sarah today. However, Dr. Chalker called my wife and said that it was fine if we wanted to come and get Sarah today BUT she would like to keep her one more day. She said that Sarah is doing great so far but she wants to finish the IV bag that she is currently on and then do one more bag. Then after that she wants to run one last set of blood and urine test to make sure no infection is trying to set in. She wants to be very thorough because she doesn't want Sarah coming home and then getting a kidney infection or something else. We told her that was absolutely fine with us. Always better safe than sorry. Like they use to say when I was in the military years ago, "You check, then check again. And when your done re-checking, check one more time." We're all missing her but we want her to get the absolute best care and Dr. Chalker and Charlotte and all the rest of them seem to be doing an excellent job of making sure that happens.

I want to thank everyone who wished my son well. He's doing good. Just a cut on his arm. Here's what his truck looks like now. I'm awe struck just looking at these pictures that anyone could survive let alone walk away with only a cut on his arm! Thank God!

Attached File  Ryan01.jpg   122.62K   8 downloads

Attached File  Ryan02.jpg   122.36K   8 downloads

Edited by Matthew Malicoat, 04 August 2011 - 05:30 PM.

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

View Postk9sign, on 04 August 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

WOW! From the look of it, Sarah had more angels then just the IMOM angels looking over her.
You took the words right out of my mouth k9sign.

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,215 posts
Hi Jacki. My cousin works for a printing company and he is having 1,000 fliers made up (for a start) per our request using the pictures that I posted....FOR FREE!!! Isn't that great? He already gave us 100 and we've already distributed those to people in our church and also my other cousin owns a movie theater and he took 50 of them to put on display for hand out. He'll take more when we get the rest. We also have two more pastors in our family that are going to be taking some for their churches also. So, it's a start. Like I mentioned, if we had known the health risk this would have never happened.

Fantastic!!! Ask Sarah's vet if they inform their clients of these dangers and if they don't, ask them if they will start. Maybe they can use your photos as well.

Think about it -- if only one person reads your flyer and takes your advice that is potentially one life you have saved.

Sarah is one of the lucky one's because it was caught in time for her to have life saving surgery.
Posted Image
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,891 posts
Matthew...congratulations on spreading the word about spay/neuter...it is SO IMPORTANT in so many ways...and it's a great way to carry forward things as a tribute to Sarah...

I am so glad that your son wasn't hurt in that accident...his truck is a mess...he was a very lucky boy...

It seems that you have a very caring vet...and you're right...Sarah is in the best place possible.  And, it's best to double check about a possible infection...as they say it's better to be safe than sorry...

Sarah is one lucky girl...I am so glad she is going to get back home soon...Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Guess what everbody. Our precious Sarah is now back home with us. She's acting like  the dog she was before that ugly disease. I don't know where to begin. I feel like I'm at the  Academy Awards and I want to thank everyone involved one by one. I honestly did try to  thank everyone personally as we went along, so, if I missed someone I'm truly sorry. We  can't thank all of you enough. Your personal commitment is incredibly touching.

Now they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. If that's so, then I guess a video is  worth a million. Below is a short video of Sarah as she arrived home today for all  of you to see.

Again, thank you to all you wonderful IMOM angels and everyone that donated!!!

Some of our family and friends are coming over to see Sarah tonight, so I'll post more  after they have left.

Attached File  Sarah06.jpg   56.85K   1 downloads

Edited by Matthew Malicoat, 05 August 2011 - 02:03 PM.

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,028 posts
That wag says it all.  :pp_animal_568:

I'm so glad she is doing so well.

Hugs to Sarah!

Cindy

P.S. how did u get the video on here? I know u have it on Youtube , but then what did u do?
It took m a year to just post pics here with my Mac. LOL.
Posted Image

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,471 posts
That is just great to see Sarah doing so well.  You can see she is so happy to be home.  She is having to go visit everyone in turn.  :)  

I am so happy she was helped in time, and that everything worked out for her.  She looks great, and it's nice to have some happy news.

Thank you for the video.

Judy G.

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday. I've been very sick and ended up at my doctor. They're sending me for an MRI. But enough about me. Our sweet Sarah is doing wonderful!!! She's not only back to her normal; self, she seems to be have more energy than before and you can definitely see that she is very happy. A lot of our family and friends got to see her. She was so excited to see everyone. We love that she's back home and healing. The feeling of death hovering our home has moved on and it's all thanks to everyone of you. She has been licking her stitches on her stomach so Dr. Chalker told us to put a cone on her. We did put the cone on her but she can hardly maneuver with that thing on. She's keeps getting it caught on things and then she'll pull real hard and flip herself to the ground. So, we took it off and put a soft wrapping around her waist so she can't get to the stitches. Dr. Chalker said that would work as long as she doesn't get to them. So much more comfortable for her. She's been eating and drinking and actually is having normal bowel movements. Sometimes I can't believe she is still with us. We tell our story just about every chance we get and tell everyone about the IMOM Angels!! Soon as I'm feeling a little better I'm going to write my testimonial and I'll continue to keep everyone updated. Thank you all again and God bless.

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Matthew, thank you for the updates on Sarah.  We're as thrilled as you are!!!  And thank you for spreading the word about pyometra.  We always ask owners to do that as their way of paying IMOM back, but I suspect that very few do.  Once their own problem is resolved, it's "out of sight, out of mind."  It's nice to see someone who follows through and who cares about preventing other pets from suffering.

Hope you feel better soon.

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,028 posts
Is anyone else not able to open the pics of Sarah's uterus? Bandit's mom, Donna, told me an error page came up, so I checked it out, and I got the same.

It's such a powerful image that I hope it's just a temporary glitch.

Hoping Sarah has her full wiggle butt going.
Posted Image

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
I also got an error message.  Says "you don't have permission to view the attachment" (and I'm logged in, so that's not the problem).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users