Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Sarah has pyometra, needs surgery ASAP

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
YAY...I am good for adding a small MATCHING CHALLENGE again...

I will match the next $50.00 donated...I'm going right now to facebook to post that on the IMOM page...Judy

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
I just paid my $50.00 and posted on facebook...SO IMOM angels...let's get busy...see if we can take this $50.00 in TEN MINUTES.....

Can we do it?  I sure think so...Judy

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

View PostMatthew Malicoat, on 02 August 2011 - 09:11 AM, said:

We just contacted the Vet again and she said that if she isn't able to have Sarah by 10:45am that she wouldn't be able to do it today because today is surgery day and they have others scheduled. The next available time wouldn't be till Thursday. She was very apologetic about the whole thing.

I know that a vet can't shortchange other clients' pets who are scheduled for surgery, and pyometra surgery typically takes longer than a normal spay.  But most vets will do their very best to fit in an emergency - not just apologize.  What's the reason for the delay?  Is Dr. Chalker not there on Wed?  Is she totally booked?  

Sounds like we need a Plan B, because Sarah can't wait until Thursday, period.  Are there any other vets in the practice who could do the surgery sooner?

Edit: Acc to the hospital's website, there are 2 other vets there.  I would press (politely) to see if any of the 3 vets will commit to doing the surgery first thing tomorrow morning.

Edited by Kim, 02 August 2011 - 09:32 AM.

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

View PostJudy, on 02 August 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

YAY...I am good for adding a small MATCHING CHALLENGE again...

I will match the next $50.00 donated...

OK, Judy, I'm in.  :)  I had some very nice friends pay for some meals this weekend, so what the hell.... LOL  When my VISA bill comes in with my 15 yr old foster cat's $2200 dental bill on it, you can join me in robbing a Brink's truck.   :ninja:

ps)  Matthew, thank you for answering my question above.

Edited by Kim, 02 August 2011 - 09:35 AM.

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,881 posts
You are doing a great job posting and telling stories. I do hope one of the vet's will do the surgery as soon as funds are in.

Thanks to some very special angels, I am able to make some donations to PIN's in my mom's memory.

I just made a donation for Sarah.

Please give her a gentle hug from all her IMOM aunties.

Hang in there, Sarah,
Cindy
Posted Image

cgerrans

cgerrans

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 216 posts
Didn't get an email alert from iMom about Sarah..but Judy alerted me..just saw it here in California. Sent Sarah $100 with my prayers for a successful surgery and swift recovery..Christine

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
We're SO CLOSE...are we a GO??? Judy

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,881 posts

View PostJudy, on 02 August 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

We're SO CLOSE...are we a GO??? Judy

My donation doesn't show in Chipin-so I would  def think so. I imagine Cindy is calling the vet and getting everything ready before posting here since there was a time crunch.
Posted Image

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,200 posts
Thanks to all you wonderful people, Sarah is moving to AFR Posted Image

Here's her ride....Posted Image
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
YAY RAH!!!  Here come the bananas... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:    

Matthew...this is the best thing you can see at IMOM...these bananas are a tribute to a very special kitty named Teddie...she was owned and loved by Kim and all of us here at IMOM...and her most favorite toy was a lovely yellow banana...

Now...IMOMers...I have to promise to help Kim rob that brinks truck to pay her Visa Bill...and I'll be worrying about mine too...but the bottom line is SARAH IS GOING TO SURGERY!!!   I am SO HAPPY...Judy

THANKS TO ALL that donated...this was such a good thing...

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Really, REALLY hoping that Sarah can have her surgery later today or tomorrow.  If any of the scheduled surgeries are elective procedures, perhaps the vet hosp. would be willing to contact those owners and see if they'd agree to reschedule so Sarah's emergency could be attended to.  If I got that kind of call from my vet, I wouldn't be pissed - emergencies should always come first and I'd gladly reschedule.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
I was so excited I just figured that surgery is going to happen today...We were SO CLOSE...any news on the surgery?  Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi everyone,

Posted Image

I just got back from the vet not too long ago from dropping off Sarah. They were     operating on a cat and then Sarah is up next. First, they are going     to go ahead and start some blood work right away. She said if     everything looked good then they would proceed. If not, they would     call us if there was a problem with the blood work. Haven't heard anything thus far, so I'm hoping that's a good sign and they are proceeding with surgery.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I can't say it enough. There are no words that can express our gratitude and appreciation. As I told Judy, until Sarah was diagnosed with Pyometra, we had never heard of it or  even knew there was such a danger that existed. Had we been more informed and educated, things would be very different today. We  have always been in  support of spaying and neutering but we didn't  realize the importance of it went beyond not getting pregnant. We  certainly do now!!

No matter how things turn out with Sarah we will be here to contribute in any way we can in the future. God bless each and every one of you and I don't have any doubt that he will.

I've been up going on 29 hours now so therefore I'm going to go lay down for a few hours until we hear about Sarah. I will keep everyone informed and updated.

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you so much k9sign!!

Attached File  thank you.jpg   56.85K   0 downloads

View Postk9sign, on 02 August 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

You are doing a great job posting and telling stories. I do hope one of the vet's will do the surgery as soon as funds are in.

Thanks to some very special angels, I am able to make some donations to PIN's in my mom's memory.

I just made a donation for Sarah.

Please give her a gentle hug from all her IMOM aunties.

Hang in there, Sarah,
Cindy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Danke, gracias, merci, and thank you cgerrans!!! If I could say it in every language I would.

View Postcgerrans, on 02 August 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

Didn't get an email alert from iMom about Sarah..but Judy alerted me..just saw it here in California. Sent Sarah $100 with my prayers for a successful surgery and swift recovery..Christine

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
To you Jacki and all the wonderful, generous, kind, merciful IMOMs...you have our eternal gratitude!!

View PostJacki IMOM, on 02 August 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

Thanks to all you wonderful people, Sarah is moving to AFR Posted Image

Here's her ride....Posted Image

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

View PostMatthew Malicoat, on 02 August 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

As I told Judy, until Sarah was diagnosed with Pyometra, we had never heard of it or  even knew there was such a danger that existed. Had we been more informed and educated, things would be very different today. We  have always been in  support of spaying and neutering but we didn't  realize the importance of it went beyond not getting pregnant.  We certainly do now!!

A lot of us didn't know, Matthew.  IMOM has obviously made a huge difference in the lives of many companion animals, but I especially admire Jacki for using IMOM as a way to raise awareness of the health benefitsof S/N.  Once Sarah is past her crisis, one of the best ways you could give back to IMOM is to spread the word in your own community.  Use Facebook or whatever means you have to help educate others, so they don't find themselves in the same jam.  

It just hurts our hearts to see dogs and cats suffer from something like pyometra when it could have been prevented.  Folks like you are open to being educated, but we struggle with how to reach the ones who can't get out of their own way to help the animal they claim to love.  Example:  I've been trying to convince a resident of our local trailer park to spay her indoor cat, who originally came from the feral colony that we are Trap-Neuter-Returning.  She keeps telling me the cat is shy and will be too "stressed."  Well, the alternative is, the cat will be DEAD because if she gets breast cancer (chances increase with each heat cycle) or pyometra, there's no way this woman can afford a huge vet bill.  I'm offering to transport the cat to the vet...... pay for the spay...... recover the cat at my house....... and transport her back home.  How often do you get that kind of offer?  Not only won't she take me up on it, but now she's had the nerve to call me bec she's taken in a kitten and wants my help getting it vetted.  I already told her I don't do piecemeal S/N:  we'll spay this one, but not that one.  Unless there's a medical reason not to do surgery (which is very rare), they ALL get done!

Sorry, didn't mean to digress.  We are all sending positive thoughts to Sarah for a safe and successful surgery today.   :pawprint:

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,881 posts
I hope Sarah had her surgery and is doing well. She has been on my mind all day.

Hugs to Sarah.

Cindy
Posted Image

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Same here.  I keep checking back for updates.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
I know that Matthew said he hadn't slept for 29 hrs...really hoping that everything went well and Sarah is now recovering...Judy

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,881 posts
I noticed he was on the forum awhile ago, but now he is gone. Maybe he is having problems posting.

I hope Sarah is OK.
Posted Image

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
Now I"m wondering what is going on...waiting is the hard part...makes you so nervous...Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Greetings from the Malicoat household to all you wonderful, great, extraordinary, amazing, astonishing, astounding, awe-inspiring, awesome, brilliant, cool, dynamite, excellent, fabulous, incredible, magnificent, marvelous, outstanding, remarkable, sensational, stupendous, super, superb, terrific and tremendous people!!

It's 8:15PM here in our neck of the woods. I'm so sorry I haven't posted sooner but I just woke up from getting just a few hours of sleep after being up for almost 30 hours straight. However that's not a regret because it was well worth it.

While I was sleeping, Stephanie heard from the vet around 5:00PM. First of all let me say that Sarah has made it through the surgery and is currently stable. Dr. Chalker actually said she did very well. They opened her up and then sewed up the uterus like a ball to prevent any fluid from coming out. They pulled out the uterus and there were no lacerations or anything, so therefore nothing had drained out. Thank God! Now here's the kicker. Normally, the entire uterus in a 40-pound dog will weigh two to four  ounces. Sarah's uterus weighed almost 8.5 lbs. Now before anyone starts thinking that it's because we waited so long is why it got so big, I want you all to know that we would never do that. It has been in the last 2 days that she tremendously increased in size. That's why we were so worried that she wouldn't make it to surgery. But I digress. They flushed everything out with saline then an antibiotic. It took 125 stitches inside and out to sew her back up. She'll have to have 25 of those removed because they are not self dissolving.  She's out of surgery and they are keeping her pretty much sedated and they are giving her pain meds. She's under 24 hour observation during recovery and most likely will not get to come home until Thursday or Friday. Were not quite out of the woods completely but thanks to God and all you wonderful people, were definitely almost to the clearing. One of the nurses took a picture of her uterus and said she would give me a copy to post online. And of course, we'll take some more pics of the entire recovery and post for all to see during my updates.

I would like to quote to you from a book that is very near and dear to my heart...the bible. I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers . (Ephesians 1:16) I just want each and every one of you to know how true that is for us. We will always remember this for the rest of our lives and in our prayers we will be giving thanks for all of you every time. Somehow, someway you will all be blessed for this. As I said before, in the future we will continue to be here for anyone that needs us. Thank you so much!!

By the way, if I've failed to thank anyone personally, I sincerely apologize for overlooking you.

More updates to follow so stay tuned.

Attached File  thank you.jpg   56.85K   2 downloads

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,881 posts
Oh what wonderful news. All of us aunties worry so much, but I am glad u got some much needed sleep.

Sarah's story will help others realize the importance of spaying. I am so thankful that she made it through surgery without any major complications.

Get some more sleep-u have done all u can at this point, so getting ur rest is important. The hospital will take over her care for now.

I know Sarah is having sweet dreams tonight.

Cindy
Posted Image

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
Praying Sarah has a restful night.  It sounds like it was a very close call.

Your description of her abdomen suddenly blowing up shows just how important this spay was.

That sudden blow up of the abdomen is exactly how my friend's Ovarian Cancer stage 3C presented itself.  Let's hope our experiences will help to save other dogs, cats, and people too.  We need to spread the word.
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
I'll pass on the Biblical thanks ;) but knowing that Sarah got treated and has a good chance at recovery is thanks enough!

8.5 lbs...... that's a LOT of infection.  Please thank the vet tech for taking a photo that can be shared with others because I truly think that people don't "get it" when you just talk about "uterine infection."  They need to SEE what this condition does to a female dog or cat.

Mike (Guy's person)

Mike (Guy's person)

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 610 posts
Prowling around again ... step by step ... the donors at IMOM move so fast it's like I'm moving in slow motion.  Do I need to say it?  You all raced to AFR without me again.  Shucks.  I like how Sarah talks in English bubbles, so I'm sending my little donation in her honor to the general fund.  Get well soon, Sarah.  Well, gotta go, I think I see a Brinks truck outside.

Best wishes,
Mike, angel Guy, and Lola

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
Matthew...I am so happy to read that the surgery seemed to have been a success...really looking forward to seeing an update today that Sarah is doing beautifully in recovery...I am sure that today is a little rough for her, she went through a lot...

If she has to stay a couple of more days...why don't you bring her a towel or a tee shirt with your scents on it...that way she'll know her family is with her while is away...Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

View PostCatPaws, on 02 August 2011 - 09:41 PM, said:

Praying Sarah has a restful night.  It sounds like it was a very close call.

Your description of her abdomen suddenly blowing up shows just how important this spay was.

That sudden blow up of the abdomen is exactly how my friend's Ovarian Cancer stage 3C presented itself.  Let's hope our experiences will help to save other dogs, cats, and people too.  We need to spread the word.

Thanks CatPaws. I can't tell you how many people we've already told Sarah's story to and they've said, "I didn't know that could happen".

View PostMike (Guy, on 02 August 2011 - 09:55 PM, said:

Prowling around again ... step by step ... the donors at IMOM move so fast it's like I'm moving in slow motion.  Do I need to say it?  You all raced to AFR without me again.  Shucks.  I like how Sarah talks in English bubbles, so I'm sending my little donation in her honor to the general fund.  Get well soon, Sarah.  Well, gotta go, I think I see a Brinks truck outside.

Best wishes,
Mike, angel Guy, and Lola

Thank you so much Mike!! With my luck if I robbed a Brinks truck they would be on their way back to station and it would be empty. LOL

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi everyone,

Called about Sarah this morning and they said she was alert but still very groggy. They said she is eating and drinking. She does have a slight temperature but they said that can be expected. We're going down to see her around 6 or 7 tonight. After I get home I'll post another update.

Judy that's a great idea. I was thinking of doing that because I read on here on one of the threads that they left a bandanna with their dog. So were probably going to take something of Stephanie's for her.

Talk to you all later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users