Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Sarah has pyometra, needs surgery ASAP

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Kyle imom

Kyle imom

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 384 posts
<object width="250" height="250"><param name="movie" value="http://widget.chipin...></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="event_desc" value="Paypal%20and%20all%20major%20credits%20cards%20are%20accepted.%204%25%20has%20been%20added%20to%20this%20fund%20raiser%20to%20pay%20IMOM's%20business%20operating%20expenses."></param><param name="color_scheme" value="blue"></param><embed src="http://widget.chipin...b904042bf4b3be" flashVars="event_desc=Paypal%20and%20all%20major%20credits%20cards%20are%20accepted.%204%25%20has%20been%20added%20to%20this%20fund%20raiser%20to%20pay%20IMOM's%20business%20operating%20expenses.&color_scheme=blue" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="250" height="250"></embed></object>

Sarah has a $12 donation that was not made through the widget.  That puts her at AFR! Donations are no longer needed.

Diagnosis: Pyometra
Amount of estimate: $881.37
Owner Contribution: Owner has exhausted funds
We need to raise: $881.37
Caseworkers: Kyle

Posted Image

Sarah is a 9 year old Beagle/Dalmation mix, diagnosed August 1 with pyometra, uterine infection. This is a very serious condition, and the vet has confirmed it's life-threatening if not treated ASAP.

Can you help Sarah? To donate for her, please click the ChipIn widget above. And please help spread the word about her case through cross-posting, social media, etc. Thank you!

Note: the amount of the ChipIn includes 4% to help defray IMOM's operating expenses.
Posted Image

IMOM's ability to make immediate emergency donations to pets in crisis depends on donations to our General Fund. Please click here to help. Thank you!

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello everyone,

My name is Matthew  Malicoat. I'm married to a wonderful woman by the  name of Stephanie. We have three sons, two of which still live with us;  Ryan, Jacob and Nathan. We also have one more member of our family and  that is our precious dog, Sarah. Sarah is part Dalmatian, part Beagle  and most importantly she is part of our family. We've had her since she  was weaned from her mother nine years ago.  We bought her from a breeder  who bred different breeds of dogs. One of her Dalmatians got loose and  bred with one her Beagles. These were unwanted puppies to her and if she  didn't get rid of them you know what was going to happen. We heard this  from a friend who said there was only one left so we immediately went  out to the breeder's house and purchased Sarah. She is the most loving  and friendliest dog. I know everyone says that about their pet but she  really is. She loves meeting people and other animals. She loves my wife  the most. She follows her everywhere and her tail wags every time  Stephanie walks in the room. My boys take turns letting her sleep with  them in their bed every night. Sometimes they fight over who gets her.

Unfortunately, we've received some horrible news. She started peeing in  the house all the time and then she even vomited a few times. A few days  later we noticed she was getting very big all the sudden. We all were  very happy because we thought that she was pregnant for the first time.  So, my wife took her to the vet and the vet diagnosed her as having  Pyometra. My wife came home balling and said to me, "Sarah is dying!"  "She needs emergency surgery that we can't afford." When my boys found  out, the older one Jacob, who is 17, locked himself inside his room. I  could hear him crying. My younger boy, Nathan, who is 14, went over and  tried to play with her like nothing had been said. He has not left her  side since though. Since we didn't have the money to have the surgery we  knew we would have to have here put to sleep. I'm sure you all know how  it feels. We were especially devastated becasue we thought puppies were  on the way and there was finally something good happening with  everything we have been going though this year.

This couldn't have come at a worse time. I've had 2 heart attacks and  just had my third one about a 2 months ago. I've been off work since and  we have fallen behind on our bills already. We've been struggling. All  we could do is pray and so pray is what we did. The next day I was  searching for information about Pyometra and came across IMOM. I had  never heard of them or anything like them. It was like it was an answer  from our precious Lord.

According to the vet she doesn't have much longer. Maybe a few days at the most and she said her uterus could tear at any moment in which case there would be no hope of survival. We're praying that God keeps her alive and we are able to get this done as quick as possible with your generous contributions. I know in the future when we get stable again we will definitely be returning the favor to others. Like I said before, she is part of our family and who wants to see a family member die. It's been hard enough watching her for the last few days as it is. It's been like sitting in a visitation for days. Please help us if you can.

Grace be with all of you,
Matthew and family

Attached Files

Edited by Matthew Malicoat, 02 August 2011 - 01:08 AM.

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I also wanted to mention that I will be available all night if you have any questions. I've been sitting up with Sarah because you have to help her get in and out the door to go to the bathroom, which we encourage her to do because it helps to get the drainage of infection out of the uterus. Plus we're trying to avoid her from having kidney failure which would be detrimental. We've been bringing her water to her and hand feeding her trying to keep her energy up since she is so lethargic and doesn't want to move. I can also be found on facebook... Click Here

Thanks,
Matthew

Attached Files

Edited by Matthew Malicoat, 02 August 2011 - 01:09 AM.

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
So far were doing OK tonight. She has drank some water but she will not eat anything. I was able to get her up and go to the bathroom twice. She's now in bed with my son Nathan sleeping. I can't help it but I keep looking at her every so often just to see if she is breathing. I keep praying that she holds on. I posted some pictures of her in the gallery if you interested in taking a look. Click Here

Attached Files

psm

psm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Matthew and Sarah,

I have started you off with a donation of $200.00.  I hope that the rest of the funding comes in quickly so that Sarah can have her surgery asap!  This is a condition that needs immediate attention.

I hope Sarah is at "all funds raised" shortly, then on to surgery and back to her old self very soon.

Pam

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you ever so much Pam!!! You've brought tears to our eyes and have increased our hope ten fold. God bless you Pam! :)

Attached File  thank you.jpg   56.85K   1 downloads

View Postpsm, on 02 August 2011 - 03:26 AM, said:

Matthew and Sarah,

I have started you off with a donation of $200.00.  I hope that the rest of the funding comes in quickly so that Sarah can have her surgery asap!  This is a condition that needs immediate attention.

I hope Sarah is at "all funds raised" shortly, then on to surgery and back to her old self very soon.

Pam

Edited by Matthew Malicoat, 02 August 2011 - 04:08 AM.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,893 posts
Matthew...I hope that the IMOM angels will get Sarah to surgery quickly...she looks like such a sweet girl...and you are doing a great job of posting...keep that up...it's the best way for people to see you are working hard and trying to get help for your girl...

I am going to post a MATCHING CHALLENGE...I will match the next $100.00 that comes in...

SO...PLEASE IMOM angels...take my money...don't worry about going over the $100.00 as Sarah needs donations...let's get that girl into surgery...Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I just walked into my son Nathan's room where Sarah is sleeping with him in the bed. I rubbed her head and said, " Hang in there girl and don't die on us, the help is coming through." She barely opened her eyes and looked at me as if to say, "I'm trying."

Thank you very VERY much Judy! My whole family thanks you! God bless you!

Attached File  thank you.jpg   56.85K   0 downloads

View PostJudy, on 02 August 2011 - 04:27 AM, said:

Matthew...I hope that the IMOM angels will get Sarah to surgery quickly...she looks like such a sweet girl...and you are doing a great job of posting...keep that up...it's the best way for people to see you are working hard and trying to get help for your girl...

I am going to post a MATCHING CHALLENGE...I will match the next $100.00 that comes in...

SO...PLEASE IMOM angels...take my money...don't worry about going over the $100.00 as Sarah needs donations...let's get that girl into surgery...Judy

Judy G

Judy G

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,471 posts
Just started off the match with $50.   Can't resist a challenge-especially from Judy!

Judy G.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,893 posts
Thanks Judy...I know how you love a challenge!!  And...I have some more money left to match...let's get busy...

Matthew...I clicked on your facebook link...I see you're from OHIO...so am I!  I live up near Cleveland - where are you??  I didn't recognize the name...

Come on folks.....we have a strong Ohio group here...let's pass the word...Matthew...did you post on your facebook page about Sarah?  Ask your friends to CROSS POST Sarah's link on IMOM...you wouldn't believe how many angels there are out there...ask them to pass it on and please tell their friends to do the same...

We can do this...and Sarah needs us NOW...Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Prayers are being answered! I'm starting to get very nervous at this point because my hopes are increasing with every donation! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get her into surgery today!

Thank you Judy G and God bless you!!! :spot

Attached File  thank you.jpg   56.85K   1 downloads

View PostJudy G, on 02 August 2011 - 05:29 AM, said:

Just started off the match with $50.   Can't resist a challenge-especially from Judy!

Judy G.

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
We live in little town called Sardinia. It's about 20 miles east of Cincinnati. We go near Cleveland every year to see a play called "The Living Outdoor Drama" every year. We live at a place called Lake Waynoka where the deer practically walk right up to you in herds. Sarah loves it when she sees the deer. She always tries to walk over to them to see what they are doing but they scatter when she real close. She has so much room out here to play.

I've been posting on facebook all night long and even doing updates. I created an "event" and invited all my friends. Of course it's not an actual event but it's a good way to get the word out to a bunch of your friends at one time. It explains everything and gives the link to pass on to their friends. Some have already re-posted it. Send me a friend request if you like.

I want to thank you again. My wife just got up and when I showed her what has taken place throughout the night she started crying and looked at Sarah and said, "Their gonna save you Sarah so you better hang on for mommy."

Attached File  Save Me.jpg   86.16K   0 downloads

View PostJudy, on 02 August 2011 - 05:37 AM, said:

Thanks Judy...I know how you love a challenge!!  And...I have some more money left to match...let's get busy...

Matthew...I clicked on your facebook link...I see you're from OHIO...so am I!  I live up near Cleveland - where are you??  I didn't recognize the name...

Come on folks.....we have a strong Ohio group here...let's pass the word...Matthew...did you post on your facebook page about Sarah?  Ask your friends to CROSS POST Sarah's link on IMOM...you wouldn't believe how many angels there are out there...ask them to pass it on and please tell their friends to do the same...

We can do this...and Sarah needs us NOW...Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

SOS

Save Our Sarah
Time is running out!

Posted Image

Edited by Matthew Malicoat, 02 August 2011 - 06:08 AM.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,893 posts
Matthew...Sarah sounds like such a special part of your family...can you tell us some stories about her?  I can imagine that you have quite a few that you could share with us...especially with her boys...

You can just see the sweetness in her face!!!  

IMOM angels...let's get Sarah up and playing...she needs to be with her boys and her Momma and Dad...   :anidogfris: Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi everyone,

It's 8:10am here in Sardinia, Ohio. Yesterday our Vet went ahead and scheduled Sarah for surgery today at 8:30am just in case we were able to get the money. That way she would have a spot. We called and let her know that we don't have the funds yet but are trying everything we can think of. We informed her of the progress thus far and she sounded excited. She did urge us to get her in ASAP because she is afraid that her uterus might tear at any time and also there would be less complications with recovery. As soon as we are able to get what we need, we will call her and she will get her in as quickly as possible.

My whole family thanks everyone that has helped thus far from the bottom of our heart. I know many have been in this same situation and know how we are feeling. It's a combination of panic, nervousness and sadness with a touch of hope. Please continue to spread the word and please continue to help us out if you can so we don't lose a member of our family. If you can help please go to the first post and click on the widget where it says "Chip In". Thank you ever so much!

Matthew, Stephanie, Jacob, Nathan & Sarah

Posted Image

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,893 posts
Matthew...you sound as if you have a great and caring vet...

I would be in constant touch with them...let's hope that somewhere around 10 we can give them another positive update...

Let's keep working HARD TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!  Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I do have a million stories I could tell. Here's one.

When we brought Sarah home we were going through normal procedure of getting her to "go potty" (She knows those 2 words) outside instead of inside. One day, I happen to turn around and she was crouching down to do her business. I opened the door real fast and yelled, "Sarah outside". She stopped and walked outside but as she passed me I noticed she had a already started and it was dangling. Soon as she reached the yard she also noticed this and suddenly freaked out and began to run like her butt was on fire! I kept trying to catch her and calm her down. She made a dash for the door that I left open and ran in the house. I ran in after her, chasing all over. About this time everything started to come out, if you know what I mean. There was potty material all over the place. Stephanie and the boys were laughing so hard I thought they were going to pass out....that is until I said, "I chased her, you all can clean it up."

Attached File  Time To Eat.jpg   60.3K   1 downloads

View PostJudy, on 02 August 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

Matthew...Sarah sounds like such a special part of your family...can you tell us some stories about her?  I can imagine that you have quite a few that you could share with us...especially with her boys...

You can just see the sweetness in her face!!!  

IMOM angels...let's get Sarah up and playing...she needs to be with her boys and her Momma and Dad...   :anidogfris: Judy

Happy Hound Rescue

Happy Hound Rescue
  • Members
  • 6 posts
Happy Hound Rescue in Minnesota is donating $30 to Sarah. I hope she can have surgery today.

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Judy, you got me laughing. Thank you so much. Here's another story.

Sarah did not bark or make any sound except a whimper for six months after bringing her home. The vet did find anything wrong and really couldn't explain why. However...that all changed and it was the strangest thing. Our air conditioner pipes kept freezing up and a buddy of mine told me to check the duct work under the house and make sure none of them were holding water. So, I went out to the garage and put on my brown, dingy overalls, my gloves and a toboggan hat to protect me. I crawled under the house and when I was done I walked up onto our porch, opened the sliding glass door and stepped inside. Everyone sitting in the kitchen and Sarah was laying there on her bed. Suddenly, she jumped to her feet and the hair on her back stood up like a cat. She stared at me for a moment and then let out this ferocious bark. We all were in shock! I just stood there and she just kept barking at me even after I said, "Sarah, it's me girl." I took off my hat, and she kept barking. I took off my gloves and she kept barking. I took of my overalls and she started to wag her tail and approached me with a look as if to say, "I'm sorry, I thought you were a bad man." From that day on she now barks when she wants.

Attached File  Sarah2.jpg   52.18K   0 downloads

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Our most sincere thank you Happy Hound Rescue!! God bless you!

View PostHappy Hound Rescue, on 02 August 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

Happy Hound Rescue in Minnesota is donating $30 to Sarah. I hope she can have surgery today.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,893 posts
Matthew...just thinking...I'd contact the vet and see how late today we can get surgery done and what time you'd have to let them know that all funds are raised?

We want to be right on top of this!!!  Judy

I haven't had time to read your stories yet, but I sure am going to as soon as I get a break...

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,914 posts
Matthew has $50 he can contribute, so while we can't change the Chip In amount, we now need $50 less.  

Sarah could have surgery this afternoon, but only with YOUR help!  Please scroll up to the widget posted at the top of the thread and donate any amount you can spare.  And THANK YOU to those who already have!!

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Stephanie has contacted Dr. Chalker to give her an update. Dr.     Chalker said she can still do surgery this afternoon but she would     like to have Sarah at her office at 10AM to start blood work and     prep procedures. I'm only 10 minutes from her office so I can be     there lickity split. I told her I would let her know if we weren't     able to make the 10AM deadline and then get an update from her. We     told her we would do our best and that everyone is being extremely     generous. I just let Sarah out to go potty and she can barely move.     She drank a ton of water and then flopped so hard on the floor that     I thought something fell. Again, thank you everyone so much!!! I can't tell you     how much this has touched us.

View PostJudy, on 02 August 2011 - 08:10 AM, said:

Matthew...just thinking...I'd contact the vet and see how late today we can get surgery done and what time you'd have to let them know that all funds are raised?

We want to be right on top of this!!!  Judy

I haven't had time to read your stories yet, but I sure am going to as soon as I get a break...

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,893 posts
IMOM ANGELS...Chip it now says $435.00!!!  PLUS the $50.00 that Matthew has...that equals $485.00

Sarah is over HALFWAY THERE...let's get busy...I KNOW we can do this...we only need a little over$400.00 to get this girl her surgery...

CROSS POST her link on your facebook page...ask your friends to do the same...Dave is on FB on his end and I posted on IMOM...

They just need a little more help...any amount will do...don't think you can't make a large enough donation...it all adds up...and we have a very reasonable amount to raise...Let's see what we can do in the next hour...Judy

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
I'm sending what I can for Sarah because I have seen too many pyometra surgeries.  Also, our donations can not only save Sarah's life but ensure that she will get spayed, as removal of the uterus is the primary treatment for pyo.  

Matthew, I would like to know, however:  Do you have other pets who are also not spayed or neutered?

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,893 posts
Matthew...it's 5 minutes to 10...I don't see how we'll make the deadline for 10 am...BUT is there a chance that she can go at noon?  

That would give us TWO MORE HOURS to get the funding in...

Make sure that you check with IMOM about bringing her in before the funds are raised...you just want to make sure that that can happen...

WE ARE GETTING CLOSER.....Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you so much Kim!!

No, we have no other pets. We had Sarah scheduled twice to be spayed but I've had 3 heart attacks in the last 2 years and it interfered with her appointment each time. If we had been more educated about the dangers of a dog not getting spayed I can guarantee you that we would of made it a higher priority. Now we know and we plan on educating people ourselves about the dangers.

View PostKim, on 02 August 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

I'm sending what I can for Sarah because I have seen too many pyometra surgeries.  Also, our donations can not only save Sarah's life but ensure that she will get spayed, as removal of the uterus is the primary treatment for pyo.  

Matthew, I would like to know, however:  Do you have other pets who are also not spayed or neutered?

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,893 posts
OK...we are at $535.00...YAY...

We need $ 382.00....

WE CAN DO THIS...how about it??  Won't you feel good knowing that she BELOVED GIRL has a chance to get back with her family today...she has a duty to take good care of her three boys...Judy

Matthew Malicoat

Matthew Malicoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
We just contacted the Vet again and she said that if she isn't able to have Sarah by 10:45am that she wouldn't be able to do it today because today is surgery day and they have others scheduled. The next available time wouldn't be till Thursday. She was very apologetic about the whole thing.

I'm still trying everything I can think of and I know you all helping tremendously. If it doesn't happen I want to thank everyone for their effort.

30 minutes to go and my heart is pounding!

Attached File  Sarah.jpg   63.97K   0 downloads

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,914 posts
It's actually $332 with Matthew's $50.  They are waiting for her at the vet - anyone else able to help?

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users