Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Fiproguard Plus generic for Frontline Plus?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,884 posts
Has anyone tried the new generic for Frontline Plus?  It's definitely cheaper, and appears to have the same ingredients.  I've got to order some soon and am considering giving it a try.  It's manufactured in the US by Sentry.

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,875 posts
I'd like to know too.

I'd like to know if anyone has tried the FiproGuard plain-not the Plus.
I know it has the same ingredients as Frontline Top Spot (the boyz have seizures with the Plus, but can use the        FL TopSpot).

My concerns--is Sentry connected to Sergeants? I'm not sure I want to use something that is a Sergeants brand--maybe I am totally wrong that they have had issues in the past?

I saw a package of the Plus and I didn't see anywhere on the outside where it listed inactive ingredients--if anyone has a package can u check the inside and give me the inactive ingredients? I did a search and only active ingredients came up.

It would be wonderful to get such a price break from the Frontline TopSpot.
Posted Image

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,199 posts
That is one of the brands I tried hoping to save some money. It didn't work for the spots and then they brought them inside to the LBK's.

I got the Frontline Plus and put it on them less than 30 days ago. Sitting on the couch with Sunny a few minutes ago I picked 3 fleas off of him. This must be a new strain of fleas because Frontline has always worked.
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,884 posts
My vet said they are seeing more fleas with Frontline Plus than before, but with our tick problems, it's still the best product.  I'll skip the generic though if it didn't work for the Spots.  Luckily we don't have a terrific flea problem but I can't have ticks in the house.  Am wishing they made a product for humans sometimes.

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
When I first read about these new products, I asked the vets I know and they all said they won't use a new product until it's been out for about a year and the side effects/adverse reactions are known.    

Advantage seems to work better on fleas than Frontline does, but as Cindy said, if you want to address both fleas and ticks, Frontline is it.

FemGeek

FemGeek

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 330 posts
I haven't been around in a while, but I hope y'all won't mind if I chime in...I've also been seeing a rise in Frontline-resistant fleas, over the last year or so.  My vet's recommendation was Vectra 3D, which, I gather, is fairly new (though I've been using it for about a year now, so it's not THAT new.)  At this point, it's only available from vets (I know, they said that about Frontline, too, once upon a time), and it's not cheap (but then again, not too bad;  looking at my last receipt from the vet, a 6-pack for 56-95 pound dogs was $65, a couple dollars less for smaller dogs)...but it works very well.  As I read their website, it looks like there's also a plain Vectra (not "3D") that just controls fleas;  the 3D version also kills ticks, and claims to also repel mosquitoes.  Not sure if there's a "3D" version for cats, though I do see the plain, fleas-only, type listed.  

Now that I'm done singing the praises of Vectra (honest, I have no financial stake in the product or the company that makes it!), back to the topic of generics for Frontline..There's another generic I've seen, sold at Walmart under the "Pet Armor" name.  Same active ingredients (no idea on the inert ingredients), and comes in a "Plus" version ($28 for a 3-pack) and a regular version ($25 for a 3-pack).  Price is the same for cats and all sizes of dogs, and the folks I know who've used it say it works as well as Frontline/Frontline Plus.  It's made in India, as opposed to the American-made Fiproguard products, so that's a consideration if you're trying to buy American.  But it also has the convenience of being available at Walmart, whereas I haven't seen the Fiproguard in B&M stores yet.  Since I don't know anyone who's used the Fiproguard products yet, I can't comment on their effectiveness.  But expect to see more generic versions coming out, now that the patent has expired.  And I expect Merial will probably come out with some new variant of Frontline, that they can patent and try to sell for more money.  That's usually the case with pharmaceuticals, when they go generic and other companies start cashing in...

Roberta
http://chancethecollie.blogspot.com/

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,199 posts
I tried the "Pet Armor" and it didn't work.

Thanks for the info on the Vectra 3D, Roberta.
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 10,875 posts
Thanks Roberta (GREAT to 'see' you!). I'll ask the vet (and neuro) abt the Vectra.

Thankfully the Frontline TopSpot is doing the job, but I hoped to find a less costly version.

For now, guess I'll stick with Frontline TopSpot.

Hugs, Cindy

P.S. thanks 'other' Cindy (lol) for posting the question. The others in the household were going to try the generic Frontline Plus or Pet Armour--not going to now.

In the long run it's less expensive to pay the money out for the Frontline (assuming it works and so far for us it does) then to have to bomb the house and do other treatments if they actually have fleas.
Posted Image

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
If you're using Frontline on cats, one way to make it more affordable is to do what shelters/rescues do:  Order the Large Dog size, since Frontline for Dogs is exactly the same as Frontline for Cats, and then just give the cat-appropriate dose, which is 0.5 ml.  That's for larger kittens and adult cats.  If you're using it on small kittens, you need to tamp down the dose even more.  

I think one of the hospitals we work with has been using Vectra.  I'll try to remember to ask the vet when I see her on Sunday what she thinks of it so far.  

Nice to see you back, Roberta!

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,884 posts

Kim, on 05 August 2011 - 04:06 AM, said:

If you're using Frontline on cats, one way to make it more affordable is to do what shelters/rescues do:  Order the Large Dog size, since Frontline for Dogs is exactly the same as Frontline for Cats, and then just give the cat-appropriate dose, which is 0.5 ml.  
Kim,

I had this conversation with the vet yesterday.  Frontline for dogs is same as for cats, but the Plus actually has more egg-killing stuff in the cat version than for dogs (she hadn't realized that).  But since it's a higher concentration in the cat version, I'd feel comfortable giving the dog version to the cats - I'm always terrified of giving the cats too much.  The extra large dog dose is exactly equal to one large dog dose and one medium, which I happen to have one of each so we bought that and will split it between Hunter and LD.  I've been scared of splitting in the past, but if you can measure insulin, what's a little Frontline?  lol!  She gave me a marked syringe for the cat-appropriate dose as well.

She also said she thinks the generics are fine but the Plus versions (w/ egg-killer) are likely to be pulled soon since that patent didn't expire and Merial is suing anyone who is copying the plus version.  I think I'll stick with what I know works for now though.

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
Anyone have more details on Vectra ?  I have not heard of it before.....

Who makes it?
  RX only?
OTC?

Melissa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users