Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

I-131 Treatment For Hyperthyroid Cats

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
Just wondering if anyone has had went through I-131 therapy with their kitty or if they know anything about this?

Melissa

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,894 posts
Melissa:

IMOM teamed with, I believe, Cats In Crisis, a few years back to provide the I-131 treatment for a pretty white cat.  I believe she was located in California.

The vet hospital actually had a camera that we were able to observe the cat during her stay at the hospital after the treatment.  The cat did very well.  

If I'm remembering correctly, it was probably 2008 (for the archives on the PIN).  I am struggling to remember the cat's name to make it easier to find, but give me time and I may be able to retrieve it from memory.

FOUND HER:  November 2007-  Hallie Hooiigan Jones.  Her thread is in the bottom section for Happy Endings where the PIN Parent has not remained active in the community.  It really was fascinating.

Edited by CatPaws, 05 May 2011 - 05:00 PM.

HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,660 posts

View PostCatPaws, on 05 May 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

FOUND HER:  November 2007-  Hallie Hooiigan Jones.  Her thread is in the bottom section for Happy Endings where the PIN Parent has not remained active in the community.  It really was fascinating.

I remember Hallie's case too.  I thought it was so cool that they had a camera so that you could watch while she was in isolation.  
Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Melissa, I had my Teddie treated with I-131 and also know of several other cats who had the treatment.  All of them did incredibly well.  It's the gold standard for treating hyper-T.  The radioactive iodine does a "search and destroy" mission in that it kills only the abnormal thyroid tissue.  If your cat is a candidate for the treatment (i.e., no underlying kidney disease), I really recommend it.  The other options are oral meds and surgery.  Some cats can't tolerate methimazole (Tapazole) and even if they do, the cost over time of the meds + periodic bloodwork is prob as much as the I-131 treatment..... which is a permanent cure.  The surgery option presents anesthesia risks (esp. for older cats) and there's also the risk of nicking the parathyroid gland.  

Once the cat is injected with the radioactive iodine, it has to stay in isolation until the radioactivity comes down to a certain level.  In the old days, licensed facilities used to keep the cats for a week, even 2 wks.  Now the cats don't usually have to stay as long.  Teddie was at Radiocat for 3-1/2 days.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,892 posts
Hi Melissa,

If you have a hypert cat, this would be the best treatment...it is the gold standard...main drawback is the dollar cost---however, over time, treating hypert with medications, vet visits, etc sometimes comes out the same cost.

There is a wonderful hypert board on yahoo...many cats there have been to the spa and many have their own personal webcams posted while they are at the spa.

Kathy

Melissa 1

Melissa 1

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
Going to look up Hallie Hooiigan Jones after I reply.  Thank you!  

Thank you for the information about your experience with I-131 too.  I was investigating this option in case I got good news in a few weeks when Sierra gets her blood work done again.  I don't think she is going to be a candidate but I can sure hope!  And I like to be loaded with information just in case.  

Melissa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users