Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Tricks for Parvo home treatment

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

wildzen

wildzen
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Hello, Canine-loving Kindreds <3

I have a puppy who has Parvovirus, and I wanted to pool some tricks for homecare (what I've heard so far and devised myself, and what any of you might know or have thought of.

I know that hydration is one of the biggest issues. We have fluids to inject under the skin (from the vet), and I have an electrolyte fluid, and a friend mentioned alkaline water (which I haven't had a break to locate and purchase yet, so we may not be able to use). I know some people used a syringe to insert fluids into the mouth, and I am really excited to have remembered/thought of how those water bowls that continuously cycle water are said to encourage animals to drink more. So, my puppy who hasn't drank water out of his bowl for about 17 hours came over and drank gobs of water just now when I poured it slowly from a pitcher into his water bowl. I'm going to try to add a touch of electrolyte water to it next time, I think. Or maybe I will just leave well-enough alone for now (when I keep trying to "make it better", he gets totally on to me and stops partaking in whatever it was). I also made a mixture of electrolyte water and a daily multivitamin made for dogs (details below) that I plan to give via syringe a few times a day if I feel like he is very dehydrated or could use a boost of vitamins.

Nutrition is another concern during this time. I have heard of feeding chicken and rice since it is gentle on the tummy, and I have considered making it into a paste if need be (maybe putting a dab on his paw if he will lick it to clean it). I made a dog smoothie this morning that I look forward to using if it feels like he is needing some nutrition -- it is made of chicken, rice, pure pumpkin (helps settle upset tummies), electrolyte water, and a daily multivitamin (called Fidonutrients, which contain essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and digestive enzymes).

Sterilization. A fiend of mine who was a vet assistant said that she thinks that is what makes the biggest difference between the hospital and the home, so I am trying to be as serious about this part as possible. I usually use all green cleaning in my home but am using bleach to clean everything multiple times daily, especially where he defecates and any other bodily fluids. I am using puppy shampoo to wash his backside and paws after defacating/going into the backyard (which is sprayed the patio down with bleach water) and I let it sit for about 10 minutes before rinsing off. I am using disposable gloves and papertowels to clean body fluids and marching it straight out to the dumpster (routine cleaning I am doing with cloths that get washed in bleach water). I am washing any bedding he sleeps on every night with bleach and plan to replace his dog beds once he is all better.

Medicine. He is taking 2 different antibiotics (1 is for his digestive track) and a pain reliever (and I am putting fluids under the skin every evening). I have also heard of some of my more nature-oriented mama friends feeding them expressed breastmilk. One of my friends swears that was how she (without medication) cured her puppy a year ago at home. I understand some vets don't recommend mixing the milk of different species (which baffles me since we drink cows milk and some drink goats milk), but I figured I would share anyway. If I could pump (I gave my pump away), I would do it.

Some other stuff -- trying to keep his stress levels low (which is hard as a single homeschooling mama of 3, ages 12, 4, and 1). Giving him LOTS of comfy spaces and love whenever he even thinks he might need it. I don't want to bug him too much, though, either. I want him to have plenty of space for quiet dark self-healing.

I have been gauging his wellness a few different ways. The first is the fluids that come from him. The second is his ability to move around comfortably. And the third is how easily excitable he is when one of the cats runs by him.

I'm really excited to hear any other tips or tricks <3 Thanks in advance:))

Edited by wildzen, 10 March 2011 - 05:11 PM.

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
It's great that you're thinking of every possible way to help Kaize recover, and you'll probably get some good suggestions from the dog-savvy IMOM'ers.  But I would also urge you to discuss with the vet any diet change, supplements, etc., that you're considering for the puppy -- to make sure there are no risks.  In particular, I would ask the vet about milk because you don't want to give a parvo puppy anything that might cause diarrhea!  

Did the vet discuss with you a vaccination schedule for Kaize once he's well enough to vaccinate?

Edited by Kim, 10 March 2011 - 06:33 PM.

wildzen

wildzen
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the reminder about checking with the vet for diet changes. I checked with vet for everything, except the breastmilk because I didn't do it, and it probably depends on the vet. I have also been doing a lot of research today and found out about something called Thermaflu (oh, I hope I spelled that right! If not, I will come shae the  corrected name :)) It is supposed to be great for those of us who caught it early on, and it's for humans and must be prescribed (which a vet can do), but I figured I would toss that into the mix :))

I haven't discussed his vax schedule yet. Honestly, the vet didn't seem to have much hope for my boy! She was so very grave. I do understand the seriousness of Parvo, but I wonder if she was worried we were doomed before we even started? I will discuss vax schedules when I go back to return the supplies they loaned me :)

A couple other things I have read is rubbing corn syrup on the gums to keep the blood sugar from dropping too low -- someone mentioned Gatorade for the same reason. And I also heard those breakfast shakes (like Carnation instant breakfasts) mixed with pedialite.

With our boy, we have been very careful about his fever. I want to make sure he can get warmer when he needs to or cooler when he needs to, so if I see him snuggling with the blanket, we cover him up and see if he likes it. Sometimes he doesn't seem to want it, so we take it back off and try again a bit later (this always fluctuates so much, right?).

Another thing, I was thinking about how chemo patients lose interest in eating because everything makes them sick, so eventually they run out of foods that don't cause the stomachto lurch. So, I have been careful about introducing different foods (like tonight was cottage cheese), with the understanding that it may come back up, but we can try something new tomorrow. He actually licked a bit of the cottage cheese off my fingers, after turning his nose up to the chicken soup I made him <3

As mentioned, please feel free to check with the vet before introducing some foods and such, to make sure it will help and won't hurt <3

TigresMeow

TigresMeow

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 672 posts
Something else to consider is bleaching the bottoms of shoes.  Most people don't think about that and the parvo virus can travel on shoe bottoms.  And I don't think it's Theraflu, I think it's Tamiflu.  I could be wrong tho.  Parvo is a nasty virus and I sure hope your boy gets better soon. :)
Kat n her K9 Crew
-Katie, Corree, Stormy, Dakota Rose, Maggie, Belle, Kiwi, Lola and Coco Puff
-and 3 special Sheltie Angels...Sable, Megan and Lacey Jane
-and 2 special Chihuahua Angels.....Callie (Chunky Monkey) and little Peanut and 1 special Pittie angel....Dixie Doo

Posted Image

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Kat, you're right - it's Tamiflu.  There's anecdotal evidence that it can help kittens in the early stages of distemper, but I don't know if that's true for parvo in dogs.  

Again, "wildzen," I can't stress enough that you need to talk to your vet before giving the puppy anything that wasn't prescribed.  The Internet has lots of helpful info, but there's also a lot of crap out there and unless you know enough to tell the difference, it can be dangerous.  

Granted, you do have to keep Kaize eating, but in general, diet changes can cause diarrhea so be careful about him getting dehydrated.

Edited by Kim, 10 March 2011 - 11:31 PM.

JeanKBBMMMAA

JeanKBBMMMAA

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,584 posts
Ditto to talking to the vet. The digestive system of a parvo pup is sloughing out - so anything that irritates the GI tract could make it worse.

Here is a great, accurate article from Marvista Vet:
http://www.marvistav...parvovirus.html

Tamiflu is it, Parvaid is often talked about, I think it's a scam. Again, ask the vet about that. :)
IPB Image

Huckleberry Hound

Huckleberry Hound

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 419 posts
I would like to urge everyone to tune into 60 Minutes on Sunday evening.

The topic is Counterfeit Drugs.  It might help some to realize just how important it is to stick closely in contact with your vet.
Pick the Adoption Option - Rescue One in Need

cupcakeguardian

cupcakeguardian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
is there a way u can wash a colored dogs bed to kill the parvo?

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

cupcakeguardian, on 30 June 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

is there a way u can wash a colored dogs bed to kill the parvo?

Wish I knew of something that could be used on colored fabric, but bleach is the only product I know to have been successful is killing the parvo virus.
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

mikken

mikken

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 286 posts
Be very careful with some of those sports drinks - they can contain xylitol and other things that can harm puppies.

Pedialyte (unflavored) is our electrolyte drink of preference for beasties (and for my 23 year old kid, who can overdo it with the exercise in the summer - I bought a case of the stuff for her and keep it on hand from critters).

I also keep Parvaid on hand in my emergency kit.  I generally don't do puppies, but it's come in handy to help out others in the past.

Honda044

Honda044
  • Members
  • 2 posts
I have a german shepard lady who was diagnosed today with parvo the vet did not send me home with anything which i think is ridiculous, but i have been giving her pedialyte which is the only thing that does not make her throw up weird i know but i also got a G.I. support paste for her and some immune vitamins from petco to try and help the biggest problem is she has not ate in 3 days and refuses to eat anything today the only thing i have gotten her to eat is baby food. figure i should throw this in there the second vet i went to just wanted to put her down which is bull but i am trying to get a drip and i heard theraflu works not sure. just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing im trying everything i can to keep her around

petsavers

petsavers
  • Members
  • 1 posts
I have searched high and low for the best way to save my pet from parvovirus. I had 4 dogs, 1 has parvo shots, 2 had parvo and one died from parvo. I tried everything for my dog that died and it seemed like nothing worked but to watch my dog die a slow painful death. I gave my dog $1500 worth of meds and gave her bags of saline and the vet had no chance to save her. after my dog died my other 2 dogs got sick. i paid the vet $800 to tell me my 2 dogs are going the same trail of death till my friend told me about parv-gone. the product seemed cheap and it was cheap but i had to try it for $10. I did and my 2 dogs are alive and well. best $10 i spent and never will i use anything else. it was so sad to see the pain my dog went through not knowing $10 would of saved her life, instead i paid a high price to see her die. all pet owners should know about this and save time and money. Im spreading the word to get good pet karma :)

Edited by petsavers, 17 October 2014 - 05:43 PM.

MikeyKiwi

MikeyKiwi
  • Members
  • 1 posts

petsavers, on 17 October 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

I have searched high and low for the best way to save my pet from parvovirus. I had 4 dogs, 1 has parvo shots, 2 had parvo and one died from parvo. I tried everything for my dog that died and it seemed like nothing worked but to watch my dog die a slow painful death. I gave my dog $1500 worth of meds and gave her bags of saline and the vet had no chance to save her. after my dog died my other 2 dogs got sick. i paid the vet $800 to tell me my 2 dogs are going the same trail of death till my friend told me about parv-gone. the product seemed cheap and it was cheap but i had to try it for $10. I did and my 2 dogs are alive and well. best $10 i spent and never will i use anything else. it was so sad to see the pain my dog went through not knowing $10 would of saved her life, instead i paid a high price to see her die. all pet owners should know about this and save time and money. Im spreading the word to get good pet karma :)

After reading this post i looked for parv-gone and it was not $10 but $15 but i bought it anyways because my dog is in bad shape and i was desperate. the product looked generic but i decided to give it a chance anyways and it has been 4 days now and my dog is actually eating and wagging his tail. So far so good Parv-gone. i will update his progress in a couple days

htaulbee1

htaulbee1
  • Members
  • 1 posts

MikeyKiwi, on 27 October 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

After reading this post i looked for parv-gone and it was not $10 but $15 but i bought it anyways because my dog is in bad shape and i was desperate. the product looked generic but i decided to give it a chance anyways and it has been 4 days now and my dog is actually eating and wagging his tail. So far so good Parv-gone. i will update his progress in a couple days

Where can you purchase parvo gone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users