Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Swirlie And Max Ortiz - Special Needs Cats -

• Please log in to reply
1204 replies to this topic

Leslie B.

Leslie B.

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 400 posts
Diagnosis: Diabetes
Amount needed per month: $20.00
Spayed or neutered: Yes
Case worker: Leslie

Swirly is a five-year-old male tabby who was diagnosed with diabetes fifteen months ago. His mom, Bibi, had been laid off at the time of his diagnosis. Since then her unemployment has ended and she is living on a very small pension. She can no longer afford Swirly's diabetic supplies, veterinary care, and prescription food.

Bibi first contacted us back in July and we were able to pledge $350 to help with some necessary veterinary care and supplies while she went through the application process for Swirly to become a sponsored case. Bibi was very responsive and persistent in trying to get help for Swirly from IMOM and other sources. Her application for ongoing care was just approved.

Bibi will continue to pay for Swirly's prescription food, which is about $60 per month. Swirly's sponsorship through IMOM will help with insulin, syringes, test strips (Bibi is able to home test), and veterinary care as indicated by her vet.

As Bibi says, "Swirly is a young cat, and after what he went through (prior to me finding him) he deserves a good life." Please help him if you can. Donations can be made at http://www.imom.org/donation/. No amount is too small. One-time donations are always welcome as well as signing up to sponsor Swirly for any portion of his monthly needs. Please indicate DPF Swirly Ortiz on any donations. Also please consider a token donation to our Operating Fund so we can continue to fund our website and administrative expenses.

Thank you to all the angels considering a donation to Swirly! Check out the handsome boy below!

Sincerely, :heart:
Leslie :whitekitty:

Attached Files

Leslie B.

Leslie B.

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 400 posts
Great news - Swirly already has one sponsor for $20 per month!!!  Thanks so much to this angel for helping Swirly!  

:thanks3: and  :hugs:

IMOM DPF

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
Swirlie and I would like to thank the $20 per month donor of 9/2010
Because of u now Swirlie has a chance towards continuing to live his life
please if there is anyone else out there that can help, we welcome u !!!!!!

Swirlie, is such a good boy
he does tricks and obeys commands
he is very smart and looks at you while you speak to him as he tilts his head and has the most human expressions for a cat, its unbelievablePosted Image

when i first discovered he was sick prior to his vet visit he urinated and when i scooped it up it was in the shape of an angel, wings and all
i knew form that moment that God was going to send his angels out to find people like u to help Swirlie and he did Posted Image

I am in desperate need of a job so, if any one  knows of a job in broward county florida and/or surrounding area please, let me know
                               i was a teacher but have tons of other skills Posted Image

MAX AND I LOVE AND THANK ALL OUR DONORS;

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,191 posts
I am the mom to 2 mini schnauzers here in this forum, so I wanted to stop in and say welcome "neighbor". I am glad IMOM had accepted Swirlie as a PIN (Pet In Need) kid, here in the chronic, ongoing illness forum.

I'm under the weather, so I'm making this short--but I'll check back in a few days.

Angels, this sugarbaby needs ur help. Please help sponsor Swirlie, or give a one time donation. Any amount will be graciously accepted!

Hugs to Swirlie,

Cindy, Tucker and Justice
Posted Image

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
ok here he is
           Mr Swirlie
being "hand some est"' and doing the "Penguin"

when he first got Diabetes he dragged his back legs so I, being a personal trainer of many things, started giving him therapy and lada, he now jumps and swirls and leaps and runs and all sorts of stuff now

hes the bomb       Posted Image  ight

Attached File  GetAttachment5.jpg   8.09K   154 downloads

Attached File  GetAttachment4.jpg   3.83K   157 downloads

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
Hi everyone Posted Image ,
Swirlie wishes he could go back to the days when he free fed so, please help us if you can so that he can kick this Diabetes foolishness and return to those free feeding days without insulin and clocked feedings !
He still looks for his brother Izzie that passed and it breaks my heart. Goes to show, cats are smart, his step brother and him played chase all day and slept together. I hope Swirlie connects with one of the others the same. Perhaps in time.
Thank you all for your help.

Edited by swirlie, 23 September 2010 - 11:34 AM.

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
HEY Posted Image
                   Posted Image SWIRLIE IS CALPPING Posted Image               ? WHY U ASK ?

CAUSE SOMEONE SENT HIM SOME MEAN GREEN, OR SHALL WE SAY, Posted ImageTHREW HIM A BONE

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
  Posted Image GET OUT THE NEWS PLEASE

SWIRLIE NEEDS MORE BONES Posted Image

Posted Image  
HAVE A FUN DAY AND THANK U 4 UR TIME ..........                Posted Image

He just received his daily grooming from me and had his nails clipped (which he does not care for) so he is the handsomest cat in the neighborhood, he really is !!!!!!!!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
Swirlie's Mom, Bibi is doing a great job of keeping people updated on Swirlie and his needs...You can just tell how much she loves him...she's worked hard to make sure that he's being taken care of and now needs our help.  

Swirlie is absolutely beautiful.  I love tiger kitties with white on them.  I had a little tiger and white kitty named Belle...She was a wonderful little girl and she ws with me for many years.  She went blind in her senior years but you would never have know it...she was amazing...

Swirlie brings back such good memories for me of my Belle...I hope he does the same for others...

Let's help him out...if you can't become a monthly donor...perhaps you can make a one time donation to help with his insulin and needles...

I love the story about Swirlie getting his grooming and his nails trimmed...I don't know if I would dare do that or not...our Mr. Mongo has a pretty interesting attitude...Judy

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
SWIRLIE AND I WOULD LIKE TO WISH EVERYONE A FUN AND SAFE WEEKEND  Posted Image

TODAY SWIRLE AND I PLAYED MOUSE AND BALL AND AS ALWAYS HE DID NOT WANT TO STOP, HE NEVER WANTS THE GAMES TO END, BUT I HAD TO DO HUMAN STUFF WHICH HE DOESNT UNDERSTAND AND I WISH I DID NOT HAVE TO DO !!!!!
HE DID PLAY LAST NIGHT WITH MAX (HIS MAIN COON STEP BROTHER) BUT GOT TOO RUFF AND MAX GOT MAD AND WOULDNT PLAY ANYMORE, SWIRLIE GETS TOO EXCITED DURING PLAY TIME SO THAT IS WHY I AM HIS PLAY MATE, I KNOW WHEN HES AT THE "ITS TIME TO CHILL" PART OF THE GAME. Posted Image

I WISH I COULD TRUST IT ENOUGH TO TAKE HIM OUTSIDE FOR WALKS BUT IM SCARED THAT HE MAY RUN OFF OR SPOOK OFF, ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THIS THOUGHT ?  

Posted Image

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi Swirlie and Bibi

I hope you will be fully funded soon.

As someone who has brought in a few outdoor only kitties- I would suggest that you keep Swirlie as indoor only. Even if you put him on a harness and leash, something could happen...and cats are very good at escaping from harnesses (don't even bother with a collar). I take care of kitties that live outside (they were born outside and Mom taught them about the streets) and even then sometimes bad things happen.

And, your Swirlie needs to be monitored and treated medically daily and you don't want him to miss his treatments.

There is a terrific toy called Da Bird - Pet Supermarket has them if you have one of those---great toy for kitties-it is a fishing pole with feathers on it that you fly...you can drag them on the ground so the mighty hunter can stalk them or fly them through the air for jumping and chasing fun. Be careful to watch Swirile for signs of over exertion like panting...kitties love it so much they keep playing after they are tired...

IMOM Angels- Swirlie needs one time donations and also monthly sponsors so he can stay healthy. Look in your seat cushions and see if you can send something along...even a dollar will help get him there

Kathy

Leslie B.

Leslie B.

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 400 posts
I just received wonderful news from Jacki - Swirly is already fully sponsored!!!  Thanks to all the IMOM angels who took Swirly's plight to heart - I always say IMOMers are the best!  I know Bibi will be thrilled and relieved.  I'm sure she will be by to offer her thanks soon.

Thank you again, angels!

:hugs:

IMOM DPF

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
Posted Image SWIRLIE IS FULLY SPONSORED AND SO, ITS A BIRTHDAY AND ALL U ANGELS THAT REACHED OUT WILL BE IN SPIRT AT THE PARTY, HENRY, MAX, SWIRLIE AND I CAN NOT THANK U ENOUGH, WE CAN'T, BUT WE SURE WILL TRY, THANK U !!!!!!!!!!

SINCE I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO REACH ANY ONE PERSONALLY I WILL HAVE TO THANK YOU HERE AS A WHOLE

SWIRLIE AND I WITH BROTHERS HENRY AND MAX ARE HAVING A PARTY ON THIS RAINY DAY (TEARS OF JOY FROM THE SKY) IN UR HONOR
WE R PALYING CATCH AND FETCH AND AIRPLANE AND PINGUIN AND CHASE AND HIDE AND SEEK AND ALL SORTS OF CAT GAMES AND WISHING ALL INVOLVED IN THIS NEW DAY THE BEST FOR THE FUTURE
Posted Image     LUV U WITH ALL OUR HEARTS
MAX, HENRY, SWIRLIE, AND BIBI  Posted Image

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
I am THRILLED to see that Swirlie is sponsored already...

YAY RAH...

Now...Swirlie's Mom can take things alittle easier...and just be the good Mom she is to Swirlie and the rest of the family......Judy

I'll keep checking in to see how things are going...

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
Posted Image WONDER WHATS UP WITH SWIRLIE HERE ? Posted Image HE WAS JUST FULLY SPONSORED

UH HUHHH YES YES AHAHAAA                     Posted Image GO TELL EM ITS A NEW DAY

THANK U Posted Image

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
Posted ImageTHANK U ALL  SWIRLIE AND BIBI

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
MAY YOU ALL BE BLESSED !!! Henry,Max,Swirlie, and Bibi
               thank u trillions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted Image

Edited by swirlie, 27 September 2010 - 07:59 PM.

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,191 posts
I'm so glad Swirlie is fully sponsored!!! There is always Magic here at IMOM! :magicmoon:

Thank u angels for sponsoring this cutie!!!

Hugs to u both!

Cindy, Tuck and Justice
Posted Image

Diabetic Cats in Need

Diabetic Cats in Need
  • Members
  • 6 posts
Bibi, I am thrilled to see that Swirlie is fully sponsored, and so quickly. IMOM Rocks!!

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hurrah for IMOM and Magic and all the Angels that help ! Congratulations Swirlie !

Kathy

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
Swirlies readings are still in the mid 300's and I feel so lost as to what else to do,,,,,,, I am doing as the Dr. tells us to,,,,,,

Swirlie has not been very outgoing today, he has been very sleepy and appears sad, Ill update u as to when he snaps out of this, because with all your positive prayers, this too will pass Posted Image

Have a fun evening and many blessings we send ur way,
Posted ImageMax, Henry, Swirlie, & Bibi

Posted Image

Love, Light,and Healing to ALL Life on Our Planet!

Posted Image

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi

I don't know too much about diabetes in kitties. I do know that it can take some time to get the proper medicine and dosage. Once you do that , it becomes much easier.

There is a wonderful site for feline diabetes on the net and a support group. I will see if I can find it and give you a link. It really helps to talk to people who have gone through what you are experiencing.

Kathy

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
Swirlie woke up full of energy, yahoooPosted Image we palyed catch til he decided to go to sleep.

Oh yes, he has a vocabulary, he says no and ma.
He does his dance routine twice per day, its a way of keeping him stretched before his catch game. He stretches up and spins for a total of 10 times. We call it, the Penguin. Posted Image

He does bad things sometimes, like today he did this to Henry. Posted Image

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
HI Swirlie and Bibi,

I found the site- really hard to find-

http:www.felinediabetes.com

This is a wonderful site with lots of information, helpful products and support and help from others who have sugar kitties.  I had a kitty with kidney issues and the crf sites and groups were a big help..saved many kitties lives with all their insight and knowledge.

Happy to hear Swirlie is having a better day

Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Oops.. trying again with the website;

http://www.felinediabetes.com

Kathy

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
Thank u Kathy 4 the web site!!!!, i have saved it in my Swirlie information folder.

Swirlie, he says mom real clear, i wish i could get him on TV so people could see how the news is not always bad.

He thanks u all Posted Image  and so do Henry and Max and me, Bibi,,,    

Posted Image

Did I tell u he stands like a person and gives high five, yep he does, I taught him how.....

Posted Image  4 everything to all who shared !!!!!! and those that wish they could, just by wishing, u r sharing too !!!!!!!

Bandit'sAngel

Bandit'sAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
Hello,  :WELCOMEPHOTO: , and CONGRATS on getting fully sponsored SOOO quickly !!!!!!!!  w0w !!!!!  IMOM is truly magical - and has many Angels !!!!!!  :angel:

It takes a little time to get the proper dosage - keep an eye on Swirlie's water intake, output - very important;  (as well as food).  I'm sure your vet will help you come up with the correct dosage to regulate your sugar baby in no time.

Sending LOTS of special nuzzles and kisses from me and 'The Bandit' - and LOTS of :hugs: and Love too !!!!!

HUGS, LOVE, and PURRS ~
Donna and 'The Bandit' :wub:

:felineicon:

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi

One more tip- my neighbor thought she could not give shots- as you know the amount of insulin for a kitty is quite small. I taught her to do it while her kitty was eating- he never even notices it. And, make sure you keep it the refrigerator and keep track of the shots so you don't accidentally overdose - I know someone who did that as well.

Kathy

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,191 posts

View PostBeauty, on 01 October 2010 - 12:21 PM, said:

Hi

One more tip- my neighbor thought she could not give shots- as you know the amount of insulin for a kitty is quite small. I taught her to do it while her kitty was eating- he never even notices it. And, make sure you keep it the refrigerator and keep track of the shots so you don't accidentally overdose - I know someone who did that as well.

Kathy

Great advice Kathy (as usual!).
Bibi, thankfully my boys aren't diabetics, but Tuck needs to use an inhaler 2 X/day (yup, dogs use inhalers too) for his lung disease. You would think it would be easy to remember-do it when I get up, and before bed...but sometimes due to many circumstances, I forget if I have done it! So, I have a calendar on my closet door, and I have tiny round stickers that I put at the top of the day's square for AM when I use the inhaler, and at the bottom of that date I put the sticker on for the evening puffs--then I can quickly look and see if he has 2 stickers on the calendar that day.

I know with dogs u need to have Karo syrup available for low blood sugars-Kathy is it the same for cats??

Hugs to Swirlie!

Cindy, Tuck and Justice
Posted Image

Maxwell Junior

Maxwell Junior

MAXWELL JUNIOR

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
Wow,,,, thank u all for ur advice, feedbacks, and care !!!!!
   I already do the aboves and have been giving him shots 2x per day with his food, I am very anal and am always on the clock with it !!!!!!
As for water, he drinks well and his out put of water is perfect, not half of the litter box like at the start

Swirlie loves to play, and loves presents! My friend and I make him stuff to play with but like all children he bores of them quickly
                   I am his favorite toy so I play with him as often as time allows while hes awake
He loves to sleep up high and look out the window, he sleeps more then most, hes a baby thats why, I dont tell him that, I tell him that hes a big boy

Keep sending advice, I love it and appreciate it, have a fun weekend Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users