Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Malignant Epulis

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,230 posts
This is what Sunny has.  It isn't cancer though.

This is apparently a pretty rare condition and I'm looking for people whose dogs may have had it.  I'd appreciate it if you could all ask around.  I will begin researching it today.

A little history...

For the last couple of years Sunny has had a problem with epulis growing on his gums.  Three times they were surgically removed, only to grow back very quickly.  Three weeks ago we had to have them removed again, as well as all of his teeth.  The epulis have already grown back and bigger than ever.  The only good news is that there are no teeth there now to get infected.

I would really love to find someone who has gone through this with their dog.
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Juli

Juli

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 229 posts
Jacki,

How is my Sunshine?  I'm sorry to hear the epulis have already grown back and bigger then ever.  Will he need to have them removed again?  Is he able to pick up his toys now?

Juli

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,230 posts
Sunny is his usual happy self.  He has no idea that his mom is out of her mind with worry pp_animal_568.gif
It wouldn't do any good to have them surgically removed.  They would only grow back again.  We're trying pred to see what that does.

He is picking up his toys again.  I'm very happy to report that I am once again picking up toys several times a day.  I even found one in the bathtub.  He likes to drop them everywhere dog2.gif

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,230 posts
The first two photos are what Sunny's mouth looked like before he had surgery on Oct 1st.  All of his teeth and the epulis were removed.

The third photo is three weeks after surgery.  You can see the epulis is already grown back.

Attached Files

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
Jacki...I don't know a thing about this disease...I am so sorry you and Pete are dealing with this...BUT, on the bright side...Sunny couldn't be with two better people...I know that he is safe and happy and will be given every chance to get this disease under control.

I did a search on the Internet and I did see things about radiation therapy...I am sure that you saw that also...I bet it's expensive...but perhaps it should be researched..

Please, know that we are all with you as you deal with this...

I'll keep checking for updates and HOPEFULLY good news.  Judy

Please give my boy a hug from us.

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,230 posts
Update...

As it turned out, Sunny didn't have what the vet first thought. However, he had to have all of his teeth extracted :(

I took him to U of Penn and found out this was a reaction from the med. he had been on - Amlodopine. I can't even tell you how many times I asked if it could be his meds.

He is off the Amlodopine and is doing fine.

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,180 posts
OMG Jacki, how wonderful and yet how distressing. It makes it worse when u asked several times if it could be any of his meds.
I am thrilled he is doing fine. I am sure mama is feeling loads better too!!

It's OK he doesn't have toofers, he is still a handsome spotted dude!

Hugs to u and the kids!
Posted Image

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
Jacki, I too am sorry to see that the medicine was causing Sunny's condition BUT, that just means he needs his food softened.  I know that upsets you as you asked about the meds but look at the "sunny" side...he's OK and he doesn't have a condition that could have been quite serious...

It's a shame he had to go through so much because of it...but, we'll just think ahead and know that he's going to have alot of happy days with his Momma and Dad...

Give that boy a hug from his friend...I still have the little plastic dalmatian I got from his transport.  It sits in a place of honor with my Sunnybank treasures...Judy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users