Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Poco Childress

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Poco DOES seem to have gained a little bit of weight back.  Amazing how, in such a little guy, that even a few oz. makes a difference.  Because I have to check his hyrdation in his neck every day of his life, this is also where I can feel the difference in his weight. I called the vet this morning because he has not had a bowel movement in days, and to talk about the pain meds.  Apparently when he received injections at the vet the first 2 visits, one of the meds they gave him was for the bloody diahrea.  So, today I need to begin giving him a 1/4 tsp of olive oil in his food to see if I can get a bowel movement out of him in the next 24 hours.  No pain medication approved yet, because it can cause constipation.  Off to give him a lick or two of olive oil....

Mom to the best little man in the Burg.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
I know Poco  is going to feel much better once his teeth have been taken care of. Is there a fund update for this morning?

We just need a little more IMOM MAGIC to make it happen for Poco.

Hang in there Poco. Help is on the way

Kathy

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
I found one of his teeth on the floor!!  GASP!  I am sickened to my stomach.  Please ANGELS, he needs you.  He wont let me see in his mouth, but I tearfully left a message for the doc.  This is my second message left while crying.  I do not have children, and he is my baby boy.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
I hope POCO will be able to go the doctor soon. How close is he right now?

Angels, bad teeth can affect every part of the body, including the heart. Please check your sofas for change- even a dollar a will help. POCO needs your help now so he can have a happy life with his loving family.

Thank you!

Kathy

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
I know money is tight for everyone right now but Poco isn't looking for one huge donation. He needs $234 to reach all funds raised. Kathy is right, it's time to hit the sofa cushions, laundry room, car floor, purses and change jars so we can all combine our change and make it happen for this little guy.

$1.00 from 234 angels
$2.00 from 117 angels
$3.00 from 78 angels
$4.00 from 58.5 angels (I don't know who the 1/2 person is, maybe a kid?)
$5.00 from 46.8 angels (see above for the ".8")

See, it's doable - we could use "found" change, maybe pack a lunch instead of buying one day, or donate money that would have been spent at a coffee shop, or maybe pass on a candy bar and donate the money saved to Poco???? Any amount you can send will help him reach all funds raised so when the vet feels he is strong enough to survive the anesthesia he can have his surgery.  Thanks for all you do for our pets in need.

Pat - IMOM

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
OK... things are "moving along" and the olive oil worked for Poco.  He did his business!  smile.gif

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Is he constipated?  We have good luck with beech nut pumpkin squash- if he won't eat it, mix in a little water and syringe it in a little bit at at time. Give it a little bit at a time so you don't give him the opposite problem.

Hang in there- almost there

Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Just Checking in to see if POCO got to ALL FUNDS RAISED YET!

I hope it is soon

Kathy

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
hi angels.  yes, poco is constipated.  wrote an update about it, but it must not have posted. He had not gone in days, so yesterday I started giving him a 1/4 tsp of olive oil, and it worked within hours.  He is not able to take any pain meds yet because of the constipation.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS MADE A DONATION IN POCO's NAME TO HELP HIM GET HIS TEETH FIXED!!  I know it is end of month, and if anyone/everyone can spare jsut a few bucks to help finish off this fundraising at the first of the month, I can get him back to the vet for his surgery!!  He has been a real trooper, and it is amazing how stoic they try to be.  He isnt eating great, but I am feeding him food and water with a syringe to help supplement what he wont he in kibble.

Hugs from me and licks from Poco,
Lisa

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi

Checking in on Poco to see if he is any closer?

Poco's Mom-check on the IMOM links for the American Humane- I think they do grants up to $500- maybe they would help with the last money needed.

Good luck

Kathy

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
Poco currently has $459 in his account.  He only needs an additional $125 to reach all funds raised!  Woo Hoo!

Lisa, have you contacted UAN yet? They often donate $100 for treatment if the pet is already neutered, which Poco is, so that is another possibility.  Also, you could try some of the fundraising tips listed on the thread in the community forum. It is really troubling that Poco is not being given any pain meds, I'd call the vet and ask for something. Maybe she can give him a shot or something that won't upset his tummy.

Also, ask your vet about giving him a teaspoon of plain (not seasoned) canned pumpkin with his meals twice a day. With vet approval (to ensure there isn't something else going on) it's a great source of fiber that keeps stools moving. If a pup has loose stools, I give them pumpkin, if they are constipated, I give them pumpkin. If your vet approves, it is a very safe and low cost way to keep him regular without straining.

Pat - IMOM

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Pat!  Thanks for the update.  UAN?  What is that?  I am not familiar.  I have started selling some things on ebay to raise money for him.  Also reaching out to everyone I know, and promoting his imom link on facebook, twitter, myspace, and everywhere and with everyone I can.  I have tried plain canned pumpkin before, and unfortunately he wont eat it.  He is extrememly selective.  It is always very hard to get him to eat any food and drink any water.  So that is why he is now getting 1/4 tsp of olive oil in his food or through a syringe.  As a last resort, if that didnt work like it did, I could always keep the pumpkin option in mind and force feed him watered down pumpkin through a syringe, but so far the olive oil is working.  I did talk to the vet about pain meds, but because the bacterial infection localized in his intestines, liver and kidneys, she would not allow pain meds right now because of the affects they have on intestines, liver and kidneys...so she is treating the infection to eliminate the pain.  Thank you for all your comments and questions.  THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR DONATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
If you go to the links section, there is one for United American Humane-they do smaller grants- up to 500 ---and often will help with that last 100 or so if other money has been raised.

Kathy

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
You can also look at the link for other sources on the IMOM website. We have a link for other sources and a link with fundraising tips.
Fundraising tips link: http://www.imom.org/fa/fundraising-tips.htm
or
Other resources: http://www.imom.org/fa/others.htm

Pat

Edited by Pat - IMOM, 01 October 2009 - 10:08 AM.

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
Fund update:  Poco has $559 in his account!  Thank you so much angels! I am always amazed at how the IMOM community comes together to help the pets in need. Only $25 to go to reach all funds raised. . . .

Let's look in those sofa cushions, jacket pockets and floor of the car, maybe we can find $25 to get Poco to surgery.

Thank you to all of our wonderful donors who have helped him get this far.

Pat - IMOM

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
I have not been able to access the site for 2 days, and am so happy when I was able to get on this morning to see all the donations that have come in from the imom angels for poco's care.  thank you all so much.  I am humbled and Poco and I are blessed to have received your donations and support.  He is getting stronger every day, and I hope to be able to schedule his lifesaving surgery soon.  Without the support of imom for his treatment and now for his surgery, we would no longer have each other and during this difficult time in my life and the challenges I am facing after being layed off, and losing my home, I couldnt bear to lose him.  So, while I cannot thank each and everyone of you individually, please know that I think about you, and thank you.  I have never before needed, nor received any kind of assistance like this.  I feel incredible love and compassion from people I dont even know, and it has touched my life more than I am able to find the words to express.  Once Pocos surgery is completed and I pay for his remaining unpaid balance, whenever I am able to give back to others, even if it is found laundry money, or as little as $5, I am now a part of the imom angel family.  You have changed my life, and my heart is lifted because of each and every one of you.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
This morning there was a beautiful full Rainbow over the lake. I know it was all the Angels at the bridge shining down on POCO letting him know that he would soon be at AFR  and on his way to feeling wonderful again.

Look what happens when everyone gives what they can!

Kathy

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
This morning when I got up, there were butterflies in my back yard, and I also believe the angels were sent to watch out over Poco and sending a message through the butterflies that Poco is going to be ok, because of all of you.

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you for the information from the United Humane...  Sadly Poco does not qualify for the $100 that I need to somehow come up with, because their policy is they will not provide assistance if:  "The injury/illness could have been prevented through standard routine care."  I feel the need to express that poco is a "teacup chihuahua", and I wish there were regulations to control bad breeders who breed for this.  No one should ever buy a tiny chihuahua.  The health problems are horrendous.  Because he only weighs 3 pounds, he has been unable to receive dental cleaning because I was advised that he is too high of a risk and mostly likely would not survive dental cleaning anesthesia.  A neighbor of mines teacup yorkie did not survive dental cleaning anesthesia.  He is not even able to tolerate annual immunizations, so he is an indoor dog.  I wish I could tell people to stop buying "teacup" chihuahas so they are no longer bred.  He has a very large molera, because of hydrocephalus, where excess fluid collects on his brain.  He also suffers hypoglycemia.  Because of his lack of desire to eat, he wont do treats and getting him to eat every day of his life is a chore.  Most of his life he has eaten soft cesar dog food, until I finally was able, after 7 years, to transition him to to eat dry kibble about a year ago.  It has been a daily investment in time and energy to make sure he has gotten nutrition and water.  For these reasons, unbeknownst to me, his teeth became badly diseased.  I am blessed that he has lived 8 years with me.  About 5 years ago I was just told to take him home, and live a good quality of life, because he would not have a long life because of his lifelong health problems from bad breeding.  His prognosis was grim.  I have loved him with everything I have, and it is only because of my daily care of him like a baby that he is still alive.  I have catered to his every need.  I have never neglected him routine care, such as dental cleaning, I have simply tried to do what is best for him.  In this country we need breeding regulation to control bogus marketing of unhealthy animals.  This may not be the forum for this posting, but he has never been neglected and for all of you who have donated and given to him, please know that you did a really good thing for him, and I have always provided for him with unending care, love, attention and tried to make the best decisions I could for his survival.  Risking his life for dental anesthesia was not a risk I was willing to take.  THANK YOU EVERYONE and I hope I am not out of line with this posting.  I wanted each of you to understand.  Hugs from me, and licks from Poco.

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
On a final note... I will definitely keep you updated on his recovery.  Please continue prayers for his survival after the dental surgery when he is strong enough to under go it.  All I/WE can do is pray he survives the surgery he is facing.

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
Poco has received another $25 and he has reached All Funds Raised! Thank you so much angels! Yea!!!! You are the best! Now I get to move his thread to AFR.  Woo hoo!

Pat - IMOM

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello Angels.  Poco is doing so great, and I am so happy.  I took him out to the beach this weekend to stay with a friend and getaway for a few days.  He did very well, and even had the energy to play.  He loves being put on the bed and give him a footie sock to chase and play with.  So, I am scared to get him the surgery...scared that he wont survive it.  BUT I have sold a few items on ebay, to help pay for my portion of the cost of the surgery.  The vet said that he cant have the surgery for two weeks to make sure he is strong enough, so I will probably try to schedule it for next week, if they think he is strong enough.

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
I hve apparently been remiss in not thanking everyone appropriately and I want to apologize that I may not have said thank you to everyone for all their donations that have been given to Poco.  I am very sorry if I failed to communicate how much I love and appreciate you all, and have disappointed anyone.  I am more thankful to you all than words can express, and for all the funds that have been given for Pocos care, and that he is now able to get his surgery.  If it wasnt for all of you, my little guy would probably not be with me.  During this very difficult economy, for those of you who have been able to provide for those of us in need, you are truly heaven sent.  I gave praises to this organization in church on Sunday and will always tell everyone I know about the wonderful giving community here.  I am truly blessed to have been advised from my vet of the imom.org community and am thankful that the administration, and donors have taken their time, effort and financial resources to help me and to help my little man, Poco.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!  
Hugs from me, and licks from Poco.
Lisa

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
A quick update.  I have scheduled Pocos surgery for tomorrow morning at 7am.  Please keep him in your continued prayers for a successful surgery.  Thank you.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
My special Angel Kitty and my Magical Beach Kitties will be watching over POCO and bringing him home to you happy and healthy.

Kathy

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you so much for your continued prayers. In the last 24 hours I reached out to a few people about Pocos needs and surgery, and I just received an email from a friend of mine in California, and then I called her, that she has received commmittments for donations from 2 people who have offered to pay the vet directly for any outstanding balance on Pocos bill for his surgery tomorrow. I believe one person offfered up to $200 and the other is anonymous and will just send money to the vet directly. I have a call in to the vet to see how they would like to receive these additional donations, whether by check or debit/credit card direct to Pocos account.  This is truly amazing.

Edited by MOM OF POCO, 06 October 2009 - 10:40 AM.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,977 posts
Isn't that the BEST NEWS!!!

I can't believe that Poco is having his surgery tomorrow...please, please let us know how it went...we are HUGE WORRY WARTS here on IMOM...

I know that you are touched by the outpour of people that are helping Poco...isn't that GRAND...

It makes it all worth while...

I will be checking in off and on to see how that sweet little guy is doing...We will be with you both in thought and prayer tomorrow.  Judy

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you Judy!  Yes, the outpouring of support from imom is something that I must confess has truly changed my life.  When  life humbles you, and something like this happens, I have realized the truth in what George Bailey said in the movie ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE, "No man can be poor as long as he has friends."  As my angels on imom, you have all taught me how much a difference giving can make in someones life.  When you nurture another, you nurture yourself... the meaning of life lies in giving...I am not sure we realize until we experience needing and further receiving, that the quality of life is in direct proportion to your willingness to give.  After being layed off, I am trying to become a professional photographer.  It is hard and I have yet to make a single penny.  Because of imom, I am following this path, and being blessed by giving.  Yesterday I was presented with an opportunity to do a portrait session for a young couple who is getting married quickly before her fiance goes to Afghanistan, in the Marines.  I offered my services pro bono, even though I so badly need the money, to be able to give back, and by following the path of giving, my life is blessed too.  Thank you for allowing me to share this story.

So, Poco is at the vet right now, and I should here something in the early afternoon on how he is doing.  I will post an update as soon as I get word.

MOM OF POCO

MOM OF POCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Poco just got out of surgery and it went well with no complications.  I will go get him about 4:30pm today.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,977 posts
YAY!!!

THAT IS THE BEST NEWS TODAY...

I am THRILLED that all went well and Poco was a strong, little boy...

Give him tons of hugs from all of us at IMOM...I am so happy I checked in early.  I have to go to the dentist myself this afternoon and wouldn't be able to check until I got home...

Again...YAY, YAY, YAY!!!  I know that you are relieved that everything went without a problem...

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!  Judy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users