Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Little Missy Dunlap was hit by a car and needs her leg to be amputated.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
Diagnosis: Badly broken leg; needs surgery within next 5 days for amputation

Amount of estimate: $1070

Contributions: Owner has already paid $220 for unsuccessful splinting.  She can personally contribute $50 more but is working to raise funds outside of IMOM.

We need to raise: $$970

Spayed or neutered: yes

Case worker: Cindy

Missy is a 3 year old fox terrior who was severely injured when the neighbor ran over her. The veterinarian tried to splint her leg, but it is not setting. She now needs to face amputation or euthanasia.  We're raising funds for amputation.

If you'd like to make a donation to help Missy you can do so from the IMOM donation page
Please indicate "GF - Missy Dunlap" on all donations.  

Thank you so much for considering helping Missy!

Sincerely,

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
     Thank you Cindy, Sarah, and everyone at IMOM for agreeing to try to help Missy.  We are all so grateful.  She is really "nibbling" on her leg so I know that it's really bothering her and the surgery needs to be ASAP.  I will upload a good picture in time so the members can see her before and afters.  She is lugging this giant splint bandage around now, so it's sad to say, but I think that she'll be so happy to get that huge neon pink thing off of her leg that she may not even miss the leg.  At least that's what I'm praying.  Please pray for our family.  
     Little Missy is small, but she has made a huge impact on this family.  We really hope to see her up and running again soon.  I never knew that such a need existed for all of these  sweet little and big furry ones.  I will do whatever I can as long as I can for others like IMOM has done for us.  
      Thank you again, and please if you can, take a moment and read about Missy.  She really desperately needs this surgery soon. Alisa, Missy and The Girls. pp_animal_568.gif

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,239 posts
Hi Alisa,
I am the mom of PIN's in another forum, so I can't help financially. But my thoughts and prayers are with Missy.
It is absolutely amazing how dogs (and cats ) recover from leg amputation. I had a dog who was a tripod (bone cancer), and he never missed a beat. It didn't prevent him from loving life and playing.
Terriers are so stubborn and tenacious (I have terriers too-mini schnauzers), and this is one of the times it will work in Missy's favor!

Alisa, the very best advice I can give u is to post--post as often as u can. If no one has replied--post some more. There are many angels who stay in the background, and never post--but they are reading. Tell stories abt Missy-anything u can think of. U want the angels to read abt Missy and take her into their hearts. There is always Magic in the air here at IMOM.

Please angels, can u help Missy? Any amount will help get her to AFR (All Funds Raised) and out of pain...and back to playing.

Hugs to Missy,

Cindy, Tucker and Justice
Posted Image

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
Hello Alisa,

I know it is scarey to think Missy is going to lose her leg but you are thinking about it in human terms.  Dogs (and cats) do very well after an amputation.  They don't have the whole "vanity thing" to deal with.  They don't care about cosmetic appearances - they really don't.  They only know they are no longer in pain and bounce back quite literally within hours of waking up from surgery.  It may take a few days for them to be feeling well enough to run around but you will find yourself forced to restrain Missy to prevent her from doing too much too soon as she will feel better much faster than you can imagine right now.

You mention that she is trying to nibble at her leg - you may want to put an e-collar on her to keep her from doing that - maybe check with your vet about pain medication until she can have surgery.

It is also very, very important that you post frequently to the group about Missy. IMOM's angels tend to bond with owners who care about their pets and share information about them.  We enjoy hearing about how Mssy joined your family, little stories about her relationship with her family, funny stories about some of her antics - in other words - we love hearing about the pets.  The best way to fundraise is to post, post, post!

Pat - IMOM

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,239 posts
Hi Alisa,
Thanks so much for posting on Tucker and Justice's thread. It was very sweet of u.

Please remember that the way to get Missy to All Funds Raised is to post here on Missy's thead as often as possible-if u can post here several times a day or at least AM and PM--it will help Missy tremendously.
Of course u can also post on other PIN threads, and it is encouraged so PIN parents can support each other. Just remember though to keep coming back to Missy's actual thread to help the angels fall in love with ur Missy.

Hugs to u and Missy!!
Cindy
Posted Image

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,995 posts
I know that getting used to the forum is very confusing and especially when you have to be worrying about poor, little Missy...

I know that Missy's Mom is going to get things figured out and will be here soon...you can tell that her love for Missy is strong...

And, once she starts posting it's going to get easier and easier...

I am going out of town tomorrow early AM and hope to find Missy all fixed up when I return.  Now I have to see if I can find internet access when I'm gone...Judy

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
pp_animal_568.gif Hello everyone,
     Little Missy is trying to hang in there.  She is not very active right now.  Her bandage is is still really bothering her now, but she still manages to turn on her back for tummy rubs all day.  If she could get the amputation surgery, I see she would be happier to be able to move around and play again.  My three girls, Joirdan, Jaiden, and Juilian (Baby)  are babying her.  Unfortunately for Missy, they are loving her up and dressing her up in all kinds of things.  She keeps hiding under me for shelter (smile)!  
    We will be back in touch soon.  I wasn't successful with the pictures, but my Joirdan is helping me.  We'll be back soon, hopefully with some pictures so you can get to know our Little Lady.  

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,995 posts
GREAT JOB POSTING!!  I don't even know how to post a picture yet...I can't wait to see Missy...

Your little girls must be her best friends...

IMOM angels...this little girl needs surgery...can't we help?  Her Mom is working hard to get the hang of posting on IMOM, take care of three girls and Missy...

Also, she's working on finding outside funding...let's see what we can do to help...

I can't wit to see a photo of this sweetie...Judy

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Sending tons of prayers and hugs that Missy will be able to have her surgery soon.  

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Please help us help our Pets In Need by using this internet SEARCH feature for all your internet searches. To add this feature to your tool bar click here for the FREE download. http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbars.aspx

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for the kind words and prayers for Missy She's going to need them these next few days.

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello Angels,
  This is Missy's Mommy having yet another sleepless night.  I preay for that special someone to read about Missy and help her to get her desperately needed surgery.  I know that there are many, many others out there who are equally deserving, but Imust make the plea anyway on Missy's behalf and ask for someone to spare this sweet little thing.  She has been a trooper since the day of the accident, and she really hasn't complained much. Unfortunately, now she has lost the brightness in her eyes.  She just kind of mopes and sleeps all day.  I know this is not good, but that just means that The Girls and I have to wo work harder to show a beautiful person (or persons) that Missy is worth saving and that if she is spared, her family will keep her safe and happy.
   I also wanted to share with you my girls' fundraising project.  My oldest, Jordy, wanted to do something herself for Missy.  She decided to have a bake sale to raise some money towards Missy's surgery.  I am very proud of her and proud to announce that the "official" Muffins for Missy will kick off on Friday through Sunday.  I am proud that my daughter knows that she can't sit back and just wait for others to do something.  She sees the importance of doing whatever is in our province to help make this happen for Missy.  My two little ones don't really understand what's going on, but they just know that baking, tasting, and selling at a table will be going on, so they are beside themselves.  We will also be giving out candy hearts to thank those who gave and Had a Heart for Missy.  I will keep everyone posted on the girls' donation progress.
   Little Missy is so sweet and mild-mannered.  She is such a pampered .  I just wish that I could afford to give her the royal treatment. I will keep praying that some sweet angels out there will look into Missy's sad eyes and Have a Heart for Missy.  Even though she will have a leg removed, I can't wait to see her up and running ... or wobble-running (smile).  Please look into Missy's eyes and see that she is pleading with someone to rescue her.  Good night, or good morning is more like it!

Attached Files

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,995 posts
What a sweet post...those photos say it all...Missy is a little doll and when I read she is losing the spark in her eyes that did it...

IMOM angels...read that last post...it's SO touching...

And what a GREAT IDEA for your daughter...you should be proud of her...Muffins for Missy...that is such a good name...

Who is going to be able to resist a little girls plea for her dog??  I am predicting a total success for her bake sale...

I will try desperately to find out what is happening on Missy's thread this week end.  I am leaving for a trip this morning, but I had to check in before I left...

Keep up the good work...Missy needs your help so stay strong, I know it's hard.  We are here on the forum when you are having troubles or better yet, when you are happy...GOOD LUCK...so far you're doing GREAT!!!  Judy

Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors (A)
  • 448 posts
Ok IMOM angels.  Times are tough right now I know.  But look at those pictures!  And Muffins for Missy?  Guys you can tell this family truly loves their baby with all their hearts and are doing everything possible to get her on the road to recovery.

Facing an amputation is scary when you've not gone through it before.  Missy's mom and the kids could use some encouragement from those of you who have been there.  

When Natasha had her amputation - her leg had been just fine and she was using it normally.  So I was really worried about her losing a leg and adjusting.  She did just great!  She got up after surgery, figured out her new way to balance and hopped off to go to the bathroom (with help from the vet techs of course).  They come out pretty groggy and need some support with a blanket or towel when walking.  But that made me remember my sweet Banjo.  

Banjo had cut his foot on metal lawn edging (nasty stuff).  He was in a cast for a long while as it healed.  During that time he just stopped using that leg.   So when the cast came off I had to spend weeks working with him to get him to use it again.  You would think they'd be thrilled to have the leg back.  But he was so used to not using it that every step we took I would have to push it to the ground and tell him to use it.   The benefit of Missy being in a cast/splint right now is that she's getting used to that leg not being as functional as she's used to.  So getting used to 3 legs will be an even easier transition for her.  

But we've got to get there guys.  Come on Angels let's show missing some Magic!  magicmoon.gif
Sarah/IMOM Board of Directors

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
Just came by to check on Missy :D  I have a PIN pet here, so I cannot donate  but I wanted to lend my support. She's adorable and the IMOM angels will help get her funded soon!!! hugs.gif
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
Donations are starting to come in, but we have a long way to go!  Stay tuned for a

FUND UPDATE

coming soon!

Please, any amount will help.  Missy is so sweet and is hanging on, just waiting till we can get her to surgery and get rid of that bandage.   YOu can donate so easily by just clicking this link:
Donations

Thanks so much for Missy,

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
FUND UPDATE

Missy has $315 as of an hour ago!!!  That's almost a third of the way there!!!

But that leaves 2/3rd to go.  Please, let's not let Missy down.  Even a few dollars will help.  
Donations

If Missy could talk she'd thank you herself.  She's counting on you!  

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

shannon

shannon
  • Members
  • 3 posts
I am truly wishing Missy a healthy recovery. I just donated a little bit of money...I wish I had more to give :(. I won't stop praying for her and I wish her the best of luck. I hope everyone who reads this can find a little bit of money to spare...no animal deserves to suffer. We need to pull together and make this happen!

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
QUOTE (shannon @ Aug 13 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am truly wishing Missy a healthy recovery. I just donated a little bit of money...I wish I had more to give :(. I won't stop praying for her and I wish her the best of luck. I hope everyone who reads this can find a little bit of money to spare...no animal deserves to suffer. We need to pull together and make this happen!

FUND UPDATE
Thank you SO much!  We now have $395!!  We're almost half way there!  Let's keep the momentum going, please!  We're hoping she won't have to wait till after the weekend to have that leg taken care of.  Any spare change you can send her way will be appreciated.

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi members,
    I'm sorry that we have not been able to post today.  My girls had adenoidectomy and sinuplasty surgery on August 4th.  I have been taking care of 3 sick babies for the past week.  The Girls had a follow up with their surgeon today and he's an hour away so it took most of our day.  They are lifted from restrictions now and able to participate in the sale tomorrow.
   We will be up baking for the rest of the night.  Missy chose pink as her signature icing flavor.  So we will have pink muffins and cupcakes with pink icing.  We even found an outfit for her for tomorrow.  I really pray that we come across some generous donors.
   Wow!!!!!! Missy has $315 dollars!!!! Yeah for Little Missy, and thank you Sweet Angel donor.  The girls want to post, so when they arise from their nap, I'll let them share a few things.  Thank you to everyone for posting all the sweet things.  about Missy, and yessss we love her so much.  She is just another of my girls.  I'm going to "talk" to Missy about everything and snap her picture so that she can try to relay her plea for help. I think that her eyes will tell it all.

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello Shannon,
   We are celebrating right now!  It was such a huge weight off to see that Missy has $395 towards her surgery.  I promised her that if any monies were raised on her behalf, I would reply with her pink thank you.  I hope that you can tell how truly grateful and indebted we are to you.  I'm glad that you can see that Missy is loved.  That's what I really want people to know.  We want them to know that she has a great life and will have a great quality of life afterwards.  Thanks to examples from Sarah and her dog Natasha, I see that if Missy is able to have the surgery, she'll be just as spunky and spoiled as ever.  Missy, Joirdan, Jaiden, Baby, and Alisa truly thank you from the bottom of our hearts.  Thank you for Having a Heart for Missy pp_animal_568.gif .

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you Syds Mom.  We appreciate any words, prayers, or passing the message about Missy.  She's trying to hang on, but it would be so wonderful to learn of some help for her before the weekend is up.  Thank you and good luck to you too.

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
Alisa, When you do your bake sale tomorrow, be sure to include a photo of Missy with a big note that says something like: "Please help me get surgery, my leg hurts" and attach it to a clear jar (empty mayo har is good).  Put a couple of bills in the jar, maybe a $1.00, a $5.00 and a handful of change.  That way if someone says they can't buy anything because they are on a diet, ask if they would contribute a dollar or two to help Missy get her surgery.  It might also encourage people to pay a higher price for a baked item if they understand it is going to help the children's pet.

Pat - IMOM

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
Missy, I forgot to mention, I do understand you were tied up with your kids today and that you are going to be baking tonight, but our IMOM family would really like to hear about Missy. Maybe you could set your timer and post once every hour with a Missy story.  Things we enjoy hearing about are how she came to be a member of your family, funny anecdotes about silly things she's done, what she enjoys (maybe playing with toys or walks with your girls.) Does she sleep with the kids or in your room? Just everyday kinds of things that help our community get to know more about her.  I will be checking back later as I'd love to know more about this special girl.

Pat - IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
FUND UPDATE

$405 @ 7:03 PM!!

Almost halfway!  This is awesome!!!  Please, every dollar helps get Missy closer to her goal.  And THANK YOU to the wonderful people who have given and are cheering for her.

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

shannon

shannon
  • Members
  • 3 posts
I can't wait to see how the bake sale goes!!! Something tells me that it's going to go wonderfully....I have a strong feeling! It is very obvious that Missy is loved and I know she will have a great life after her surgery. I am still praying for her and I won't stop; I promise smile.gif

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello everyone out there,
   We had an unexpected emergency visit with my asthmatic daughter tonight.  Things are fine, so it's Missy time.  The girls have been fighting over which one of them is going to take care of Missy after her surgery.  I think my room will be the central location.  Normally Missy sleeps with my oldest daughter.  When you walk into the room you don't see Missy, then all of a sudden you see a moving hump under the covers like a groundhog tunneling!  Then her head pops out.  That's her favorite sleeping position.  Since her leg has been injured, she can't get in and out of the bed, so she loves to burrow in her orange bean bag.  It makes her look so tiny!  
    Thanks for the suggestion of having her picture on the poster.  We plan on having Missy in the wagon with us during the sale.  I think people will really have a heart if they can see her and see her little tail wagging like crazy.  Ever since she was spayed, as soon as she sees someone she drops down and rolls on her back for her tummy to be rubbed and loved.  I don't think she can get enough of that.  Missy does forget that she doesn't have a good leg.  She saw a squirrel in the backyard and started to run after it with that huge leg.  It was the funniest silliest sight.  I am really looking forward to the sale.  I know that Missy will look forward to anyone who may stop by and love on her.  
   I will post again with bake sale updates.    

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
     Today is the big day!   banana.gif I pray it doesn't rain on us.  My oldest daughter drew the posters herself and they look fetching.  Missy seems like she knows something about it is for her.  When my daughter was trying to write on the posterboard, Missy kept just laying across the board in her way.  It seemed like she was trying to put herself on the poster to advertise herself!!  Hopefully she'll like the picture of her on the board much better.  
      We have to do a vet run to check her bandage.  Missy knows what that means.  She and Mommy will get a nice little hamburger treat from McDonalds.  I know that will help to brighten her day.  She tries to nearly wobble out the window when I'm ordering.  The workers love to see her and talk to her.  This just gets her going and wobbling to that window even more.  She will just ooze for attention (smile).  That's a far cry from when she was a little baby.  When we first brought her home at around 8 weeks, all she would do was hide.  When it was time for her to eat or whatever, we had to poke in the closets or other "hole" to look for her.  Now, she doesn't want to miss any visitors.  It is so funny to see all the girls huddle around the door when the doorbell rings.  They get so excited to see who will potentially come through that door.  They start vying for attention, and Missy usually wins I have to admit.  We'll post again soon.  Thank you for all the donors who have given so far.  Anyone else out there please help us get Missy to the end.  We'll let you know how we're doing with ours. cool026.gif

Help4Missy

Help4Missy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Missy thanks you, and she will have a beautiful life after surgery.  Thanks again for the prayers

Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors (A)
  • 448 posts
She really will have a beautiful life after surgery!  If I could let you meet Natasha you would see just what I mean.  She's special and everyone who meets her knows it.   I worried that she would lose her graceful way - but she hasn't.  She hops and runs and jumps still in the same graceful way.   Just give her lots of love and support.  I had to put lots of rugs where we had floors with no carpet to help her not slip going from here to there.  She doesn't need them anymore - just while she was adjusting.   And we raise her bowl up for other health issues but I think it helped while she was learning her new balance to not have to reach all the way to the floor for her food and water.  Eventually she'll learn how to rebalance and it won't be an issue (not that I know it was or not as we already lifted that stuff for her).

Good luck in your bake sale today!!!!  Sending lots of Pinkalicious thoughts to all your customers!

Sarah
Sarah/IMOM Board of Directors

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
FUND UPDATE

Missy has $505 now!!  We're OVER halfway!! claphands.gif

We're at the home stretch, folks.  We'd really like Missy to be able to have surgery on Monday.  She just needs $465 to make that happen.  That's $10 from 47 people, or $20 from 24 people....you get the idea.  YOUR donation, no matter how small, makes a difference.  Please give what you can because lots of small amounts will add up and make surgery possible.

THANK YOU DONORS and SUPPORTERS.  We could not do this without you.  thanks3.gif

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users