Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

8 yr old Maltese in need of a rescue group

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
I know IMOM normally doesn't permit these type of posts, but the BOD okay'd this one - thanks guys!  I need help finding a rescue for Joey, the cutest little Maltese with several medical issues.
Joey was with a rescue friend who had too many dogs for her town and was notified she had to get her numbers down, several of us jumped in to help move dogs and find rescue groups for them. A rescue group indicated they would take Joey if we sent a photo and he was a Maltese or Maltese mix, but now that he is here, they have not been able to make a decision. He's a sweetheart but I really can't add another dog to my pack. I've sent emails to several Ohio rescues who had Maltese listed on Pet Finder but so far, no response.

Joey has Cushing's disease and allergies, he eats Z/D prescription dog food so he will come with above average expenses. He is a great little dog and if one more person tells me to put him down I think I will scream.  He's a friendly, perky, cheerful little guy, gets along well with the crew here, comes when called, hangs around me but is not a nuisance, he barks at my husband but it is more like a "what are you, I don't know what a man is" kind of bark - he does have medical issues but he is a doll of a dog.  The lady that sent him sent meds and vet records. I gave him a bath this morning and he was very well behaved. He does not like his toenails clipped or his ears cleaned so I bathed him in a muzzle and used a sponge to clean his face, ears, toes.  He was fine.  He did try to snap at me when I cleaned his ears (Yea! muzzle!).

Other than trimming toe nails & cleaning ears, he doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in his body.

Does anyone know of a rescue group you could refer me to that might be able to take him into foster care and help find him a home?  

Thanks,
Pat

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,977 posts
Pat...there is a rescue up here in NE Ohio that takes in mini's...

It's Mini Mutts Rescue in Madison, Ohio.

I can't tell you a thing about it but they advertise on petfinder and I see their vehicle out and about advertising alot in the area.

What a situation...bless you for monitoring this boy...and hope you find a rescue soon...

Perhaps if you contact Mini Mutts they can refer you to rescue around here also...

GOOD LUCK...he's a lucky boy right now...he's safe...Judy

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
Thanks Judy! I spoke to a rescue friend last night who can place him in a foster home in TN. Her husband works in Cincinnatti sometimes so we are checking schedules to see the next time he comes to Ohio and I'll take Joey to meet her husband after work.

I also talked to a ding bat (sorry but I was really annoyed) who said they would take him and kennel him at the vet's until they could find a foster home and a transport.  He has Cushings and allergies - stress causes flair ups in both conditions.  Sometimes I wonder about people. Needless to say I thanked her for her offer but politely turned her down. He's safe here and while I'd like to see him in his foster home, I don't want to juggle him around from one home to the next as I don't think it is good for any dog to keep getting moved like that.

If that doesn't work out for some reason, I'll check with Mini Mutts. I think the problem is two fold, first, Joey is an expensive little guy and as you know, donations are down with most charities today and second, all of the rescues are bombarded with owner surrenders this summer and everyone is bursting at the seams.  I'm working on find foster homes right now for 3 yorkies and I have a counterpart in Florida looking for fosters for 4 more. Plus, we all have to be careful that we don't take in dogs whose care we can't afford.  I sure wish the economy would pick up so fewer people are forced to surrender their pets! Anyway, I really appreciate your help.

Pat

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,920 posts
QUOTE (Pat - IMOM @ Aug 12 2009, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I spoke to a rescue friend last night who can place him in a foster home in TN.

If the hub can't take him anytime soon let me know and maybe I can help coordinate a transport with you.  I know a few people in TN smile.gif

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
Bless your heart! I'll keep that in mind. <grin> This rescue runs a lot of dogs through the KY foster mom first because she has a great vet who is very rescue friendly then once they have a vet check, the dogs go to foster homes from there.  I do wish we all lived closer though. . . it would be nice to visit once in a while and heaven knows I could fuss over the LBK! Data would probably love to have more kitties in his life.

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users