Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Charlie Brun - all funds have been donated

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
QUOTE (Judy @ Jul 11 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So glad to see your post...positive thoughts and prayers sent your way that this week end is uneventful and that Charlie is quiet and calm...

Counting the hours until Monday AM...Hugs, Judy

banana.gif So happy Charlie has the funds he needs. Hope he can get into surgery ASAP !!
Sending lots of prayers !
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

Butch's Mom

Butch's Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hoping today is the last day that Charlie has to struggle to breathe and he will be "right as rain" after his surgery tomorrow.  Much love and prayers directed towards him and your whole family.

Karen and Butch

Edited by Butch's Mom, 12 July 2009 - 11:29 AM.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
The Kitty Gods are sending good fortune to all who helped Charlie- with donations and support during this difficult time. Thank you IMOM and Magic for making this all possible.

Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
The Kitty Gods are sending good fortune to all who helped Charlie- with donations and support during this difficult time. Thank you IMOM and Magic for making this all possible.

Kathy

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi everyone,

I started to post earlier and then Charlie started coking.  He is fine.  I gave him shredded chicken and it much has gotten stuck.  It seems like he knows the surgery is in the am.  He is acting a little bit nervous and needy.  I can't blame him.  I am also nervous.  He will take his last drink of water until the surgery at 9:PM.  
I can't wait to take him on his first trip back to the dog park.  He loves the park.  
Have a great night and I will let you all know tomorrow as soon as he is out of surgery.

Thanks for my dog back!
Bethann

Butch's Mom

Butch's Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I had a friend who had this surgery done for her Lab several years ago and it was a great success.  I know Charlie's will be as well.  We will all hold Charlie "in the light" with our love and prayers and he will come out better than ever.  He will be back running at the park in no time!

Karen and Butch

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay, we are leaving for the Vet in 15 mins.  Please pray for my baby to come through the surgery better then ever!

Butch's Mom

Butch's Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
It's almost 9:00 AM where I am and should be nearly 10:00 where Charlie is.  He has been on my mind all morning and it will be great to hear that his surgery is completed and successful.  I will continue to "hold him in the light" and will be checking in to hear the good news of his successful surgery.

Karen and Butch

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
Karen and Butch...I'm with you...I've been watching the clock all morning.  I think I'm one hour ahead of Charlie and Bethann so I figure sometime early PM Charlie should be in recovery...

I know it's so hard to wait...Bethann, we're with you in spirit!  Hugs, Judy

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
We should hear something from the vet around noon.  Thanks for the thoughts and kind words.  I will let you know asap.
Bethann

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay it is noon and I just heard from the vet, Charlie is out of surgery and doing GOOD.  He is just starting to wake up and we are planning to pick him up around 4:00.  He was in bad shape they said.  We cut this one too close.  I have a lot to learn about the disorder.  He will need to be pretty much sedated for the ST month.  He needs to stay calm and quite.  Barking can pull out the stitches.  The surgeon said it is so rare for a Giant to have this disorder.  
If you don't hear anymore from me today I am just loving my boy.  I will write again in the am.

Bethann

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
I am so happy the Angels were able to help Charlie. Here is wishing him a speedy recovery.

Kathy

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
Bethann, when you go to pick up Charlie ask the vet if there is something you can give him to make sure he stays calm...

did you mean that he needs to rest for the balance of this month?

The first few days are going to be OK...do you have a crate that you can keep Charlie in when you can't watch him?

I also use Bach's Rescue Remedy to keep the animals calm.  Don't know if it would work for him but perhaps the vet can give you something to keep him calcm.

Poor guy...it was a close call...I have never heard of this disorder before.  I"ll be interested to hear what you learn.  Judy

kszul

kszul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
pp_animal_568.gif i am so happy that charlie is doing good. when duke needed to calm down at home after his first surgery the vet gave me valume "doggie valum"  it worked really good.  

katrina

Butch's Mom

Butch's Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The vet can give him something like they give them when they come home after heartworm treatment.  They have to stay calm and not run around for 6 weeks or longer.  Check the yard before you take him out to ensure that there are no squirrels, birds, etc. that he might want to bark at before you take him out.  If he barks at the doorbell, cover it with tape and a sign asking the caller not to ring the bell. The time will pass quickly and he will be able to bark and play and do everything he used to do.

Hugs and slurps,  

Karen and Butch

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Charlie is home safe and sound.  He needs to be calm and quite for 4 weeks.  He is kennel trained so were are good there.  Karen great suggestion about the door bell.  I didn't even think of that.  He is on Tylenol 3 - 2 times a day.  Take should keep him calm!!!  He is a sleep right now.  I gonna go snuggle him.  Talk tomorrow.
Bethann

Butch's Mom

Butch's Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Bethann,

Butch is a Terrier-mix and it doesn't take much to yank his chain.  I have learned that I have to plan ahead if I need to let him outside when it is very early in the morning so he doesn't find something to bark at and wake up the entire neighborhood.  He will scratch at a knothole on the deck and bark if he can detect the faintest whiff of possum!  I also fostered a rambunctious labrador who was recovering from heartworm treatment.  It was six weeks of speaking and moving quietly and checking for anything that might crank him up before he went outside on his leash.  He went on to live another 8 years after that but I recall having to be super-vigilant about keeping him calm.
Cuddle time is just what the doctor ordered.  I know that he must feel groggy but at least he is able to breathe well once again.  Snuggles from Mom is the best medicine, ever!  The tylenol is for pain management only if it is just plain tylenol.  It has no sedative effect on its own.

Hugs,

Karen and Butch

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Morning, Charlie woke me up at 5:AM in pain.  I gave him a pill at 6:00 he was also very thirsty.  He could stand up on his own.  My husband and I put a towel under his belly and walked him around outside.  Then Charlie started walking on his own.  Yea, Thank GOD!  We were getting worried.  WE have never seen Charlie weak.  He is a go getter.  Well right now both Charlie and daddy are sleeping where Matthew(my 3 year old) and I are not.  Mother's job is never done.

Talk to you later.
Bethann

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,184 posts
Hi Bethann,
One of my mini schnauzers has been sick, so I wasn't able to post yesterday. But, I had u and Charlie on my mind--and did a quick peek last night to make sure that u posted Charlie was OK.
So am I right that Charlie is on tylenol #3?? I have never heard of dogs getting Tylenol with codeine before--or did I read it wrong?
I am so glad Charlie is walking on his own. It's a bit hard picking up a Giant Schnauzie. LOL. I saw a gorgeous black Giant today at MedVet (vet hosp and ER). What a sweetie. I thought immed abt Charlie.

Gentle hugs to Charlie!

Cindy
Posted Image

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Cindy what is going on with your mini?  Is he doing better now?  I have been so hung up with my own stuff.  Charlie is doing OK.  He has barely eaten today and can't even stand on his own tonight.  I hope it is the Tyenole 3.  I am calling the vet in the am.  We are getting a little concerned.  I Hope your baby is okay.  I will look forward to hearing your update.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
Bethann...I too am interested to hear about Tylenol 3 for dogs.  I have never heard of that.  I have only heard of buffered aspirin for them.

Please question your vet on how that works...

I hope that Charlie is better this AM...but I agree with you...contact the vet immediately.  Charlie should be feeling better and not require as many pain meds.  

I'll check back to see how he is later.  Judy

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Judy & Angeles - We are having some issues right now with Charlie and the vet is trying to deal with that.  He is off the Tyenol 3 as of this morning.  They said they use it as a pain killer.  I will write later.  I was up with him most of the night and I am beat.
Thanks

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
Positive thoughts and prayers being sent to you and Charlie...hoping that thing will settle down SOON for you both...Hugs, Judy

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi everyone

I am very discouraged right now.  Charlie is going back to the vet first thing in the am.  It seem that the surgery on his throat was successful but the disease is not attacking his back legs.  He can't seem to get up.  We have to help him.  It take about 5 minutes of us holding his back end up with a towel across is belly before he seem to be able to hold himself up and walk.  Then it is only for a short period of time.  We stop all meds this morning.  Hoping this will do the trick.  He walked out the vet on Monday so I am hopeful that this is the problem.  I know that there is a harness out there that has 2 handles on so that you have better leverage were help him up.  Doesn't anyone know how much they are and where we can order one?

Thank for listening
Bethann

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
Bethann, what disease is this?

We had a dog that had degenerative myopathy that is comparable to MS in dogs...we used a large towel just slung underneath her back end at the front of her legs...with that she could navigate the stairs and walk outside to go potty...

Check online in a Foster's and Smith catalogue or Entirely Pets...any pet supply catalog would have them...I don't know the correct name for the sling...

try a search for slings to support canine legs...

Does the vet think that stopping all meds will help?

I am confused as to this disease...post the name...there are many people reading what is going on...someone, somewhere will have some suggestions and advice.

Judy

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
Please don't be discouraged, but please be watchful.  I am glad Charlie is returning to see the vet in the morning either way.

Here's hoping what you are experiencing with Charlie is the "third day" surgical slump (when the anesthesia finally works it's way completely out of the system).  Does he have no control over the legs, or is he reluctant to walk and would rather rest?

HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Butch's Mom

Butch's Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
It could be the meds.  Hopefully, he will be better after the meds have washed out of his system.  I do drug research and sometimes animals and people can have strange responses to meds.  Since he walked out of the vet's place after the surgery and he started with the hindquarter weakness after starting a new medication, it would be the first thing to look at in terms of a cause.
Extra special prayers go out to you and Charlie and your family tonight.  I know how worrying this can be - we have all been there at some time or another in our lives.
We will be checking in for uodates when you have them.

Hugs all around,

Karen and Butch

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
Checking in this AM to see how Charlie is doing...

Will keep checking in to see what the vet has to say...GOOD LUCK...tons of positive thoughts and prayers with you and Charlie this AM.  Judy

Butch's Mom is right...meds do weird things when they affect the animal adversely...let's pray that is what is happening...

Still interested in the name of this disease...

Bethann

Bethann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
I don't know the name of the diease,  the way the vet explained it to us is that dog that have the larynx paralysis will continue this way.  He said that the nervious die starting with the longest which is the throat then the back legs then the front.  The proplem we are now having with Charlie is that since the surgery he can not stand up alone.  Once up he can then walk.  The problem is that while under the meds it looked like he couldn't move on his own at all.  Today he is 100% better.  He still need help getting up but he is wagging his tail looking to play wants to eat and his face lights up when he sees us!  If I have to pick him up to walk I will do that.  We didn't go to the vet this morning we spoke with her.  Let's hope a few more days and he will get the ability to stand up on his own.  If not we will deal with that then.

Talk later
bethann

Butch's Mom

Butch's Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I believe that Charlie has many good days to come and you will soon see a return of his former self to a great extent.  It looks like the long-term prognosis may be challenging but cherish each day and continue to celebrate life with him and each other.  Once he is past his meds and is back to eating well and drinking well and breathing well, his overall energy and strength should return to a great degree.  It seems like the meds were just too much to add on top of being weakened by his condition.
Please keep us updated and please know that we are all here for you and keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Karen and Butch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users