Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

George Vestal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
George is a neutered 4-year old kitty who has been diagnosed with idiopathic megacolon, which has caused severe constipation. He needs deobstipation (surgery) to remove the fecal mass, plus supportive care and medication to help prevent future blockages.

Thanks to the generosity of our donors, who make contributions to our general fund, IMOM was able to pledge $350 to help with George's surgery. We are hoping that the vet may be able to perform the surgery today.

To learn more about George, you can click here to read an introduction from his mom, Erika.

Thanks, angels, for making it possible for IMOM to help another pet in need.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi Erika,

I just wanted to let you know that there is a yahoo group for kitties with megacolon. I am on several of the yahoo groups and I find it helpful to have the advice of others with the same problem.

They can also alert you as to what to watch for - signs that you need to get help right away (saved a few crf kitties on another board).

I am happy IMOM was able to help George and I will be following his progress.

Kathy

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
QUOTE (ICEMONKEY09 @ Mar 26 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW GEORGE DID A NUMBER TWO ON HIS OWN LAST NITE AT 10:30PM. THE DR CALLED ME YESTERDAY TO SEE HOW HE WAS DOING AND TOLD ME IF HE HADNT DID A NUMBER TWO BY TOMOROW MORNING THAT SHE WILL NEED TO SEE HIM AGAIN BECAUSE THAT WOULD MEAN SOMETHING IS STILL WRONG. BUT BY MY SURPRISE TONITE I HAVE NEVER BEN SO HAPPY TO SEE POOP. I KNOW SOUNDS FUNNY BUT THAT WAS HIS GOAL TO BEABLE TO POOP OUT ON HIS OWN AFTER HIS VISIT YESTERDAY. HE LOVES THE NEW FOOD THE DR PROSCIBED AND IS EATING WELL AND FEELING WELL THANKS TO THE DONATIONS FOR HIS CARE. TALK TO YOU SOON ON HIS NXT UPDATE.

This one made me laugh out loud  motimonkey.gif   You will find this group tends to get really excited about poop.  Some of us even have been known to take pictures of it, right Jean?
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Erika, believe me, you are not the only person to be happy to see poop, and take pictures of it! I've also been known to discuss my kitty's poop volume and consistency with friends (they are very good friends, don't you think?).  laugh.gif

It is so great that George is pooping regularly. It sounds like you have a great doctor who really cares about George, and it's wonderful that she's helped you figure out how to save money for the food and meds he needs.

How is George's energy level? Is he getting back in his regular routine, and having more energy?

Do you have any pictures of George you can post? I'd sure love to see what he looks like. Here are instructions for posting pictures:
http://www.imom.org/fa/forum-photos.htm

I hope the two of you have a great weekend!

AutismAngel

AutismAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 239 posts
I'm glad George is doing so much better...  I think that is wonderful news!!!  
Shawn
Posted Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud Parent of a Child with Autism, Dedicated to
Raising Autism Awareness... Educate & Advocate

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance...
and to turn around three times before lying down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Robert Benchley

After scolding one's cat one looks into  its face and
is seized by the ugly suspicion that it understood
every  word. And has filed it for reference...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Charlotte Gray

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
I freeze fresh pumpkin every fall.  I don't see why you can't freeze canned.  It may not have the best consistency, but you want to make "cat-pies" not human pumpkin pies  laugh.gif

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
I'm so happy to read that George is still doing well! motimonkey.gif

I freeze canned pumpkin, and it really seems to last indefinitely. What I do is I put a big blob of canned pumpkin in a freezer bag, and smash it flat (so the pumpkin is a big square in the bag, about 1/2 inch thick). Then I break off little bits of the frozen pumpkin and put it in a small container in the fridge -- I only break off about a week's worth at a time and leave the rest in the freezer. It can take a small kitty a mighty long time to eat an entire can of pumpkin!

AutismAngel

AutismAngel

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 239 posts
QUOTE (Cindy/IMOM @ Apr 10 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I freeze fresh pumpkin every fall.  I don't see why you can't freeze canned.  It may not have the best consistency, but you want to make "cat-pies" not human pumpkin pies  laugh.gif

Cindy/IMOM

I agree with Cindy...  maybe buy the really large cans of pumpkin, which will cheaper in the long run... and divide it into portions, freezing what you don't need for that day...  take a day or two out at a time to thaw, as you need it...  
Shawn
Posted Image
Proud Parent of a Child with Autism, Dedicated to
Raising Autism Awareness... Educate & Advocate

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance...
and to turn around three times before lying down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Robert Benchley

After scolding one's cat one looks into  its face and
is seized by the ugly suspicion that it understood
every  word. And has filed it for reference...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Charlotte Gray

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Another alternative to the pumpkin is baby food butternut squash. I empty the jar into a bowl and add some water to it. My kitty will not eat it so I gently syringe some into his mouth and he swallows it.

There is a suggestion on another board to rotate the fiber sources- pumpkin then butternut squash (baby variety)- make sure the baby food does not have garlic or onions in it.

Good to hear George is doing well

Kathy

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Hi Erika, I'm so happy to read that George is still doing good. This is just the best news!

Please give him some gentle pets from me.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Erika, I'm relieved that George will be able to go to the vet tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed that everything is okay, and that an enema is going to help him feel a lot better. Please let us know how he's doing as soon as you can tomorrow.

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi

Good to hear George is doing better. Did you know there is a yahoo group for feline megacolon? They share their experiences and treatments- I know that the crf group has helped (sometimes saved) kitties as the group saw things coming down and alerted the kitty parent to get help.

Hope George continues to do well

Kathy

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
It's great to know that George is doing so well!

Bonnie

Bonnie

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 162 posts

Happy New Year to you and yours!  

Bonnie
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent.
To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden,
where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace. " Milan Kundera

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Hi Erika, I'm sorry to hear that George is going through some tough times right now.

On our web site, we have a list of several organizations that provide financial aid. I don't know if you or George would qualify for assistance from any of them, but I think it's definitely worth checking them out.

The list is at:

www.imom.org/fa/others.htm

Please keep us updated on how George is doing, and give him some gentle pets from me.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
One of my kitties takes Miralax (he has chronic constipation) and it has really helped him. I hope it will help George too.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Hi Erika, we need to reach you by email to talk about George. The old email address we have for you isn't working.

Can you please send us an email to gf@imom.org and let us know your new email address? (Please don't post your email address here.)

Laurie

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

View PostLaurie IMOM, on 14 May 2010 - 04:53 PM, said:

Hi Erika, we need to reach you by email to talk about George. The old email address we have for you isn't working.

Can you please send us an email to gf@imom.org and let us know your new email address? (Please don't post your email address here.)

Laurie

Bumping this to the top so Erika will see Laurie's message! :felineicon:
HELP JUST ONE

Eve

Eve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

View PostICEMONKEY09, on 26 March 2009 - 02:41 PM, said:

I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW GEORGE DID A NUMBER TWO ON HIS OWN LAST NITE AT 10:30PM. THE DR CALLED ME YESTERDAY TO SEE HOW HE WAS DOING AND TOLD ME IF HE HADNT DID A NUMBER TWO BY TOMOROW MORNING THAT SHE WILL NEED TO SEE HIM AGAIN BECAUSE THAT WOULD MEAN SOMETHING IS STILL WRONG. BUT BY MY SURPRISE TONITE I HAVE NEVER BEN SO HAPPY TO SEE POOP. I KNOW SOUNDS FUNNY BUT THAT WAS HIS GOAL TO BEABLE TO POOP OUT ON HIS OWN AFTER HIS VISIT YESTERDAY. HE LOVES THE NEW FOOD THE DR PROSCIBED AND IS EATING WELL AND FEELING WELL THANKS TO THE DONATIONS FOR HIS CARE. TALK TO YOU SOON ON HIS NXT UPDATE.Posted ImageYEAH! AND AMEN TO OUR PETS BEING FAMILY! GOOD LUCK!

Eve Chamberlin-Oden

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

View PostLaurie IMOM, on 14 May 2010 - 04:53 PM, said:

Laurie

Bumping Laurie's  newest message to the top again.   :minichat6:

Edited by CatPaws, 15 May 2010 - 03:25 PM.

HELP JUST ONE

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
I tried to send you a PM message...please delete the other messages in your box as it is full and you cannot receive any messages right now.

Please let us know if you saw Laurie from IMOM's message to you about contacting IMOM...

Please read what she wrote they are having trouble emailing you...send them your email address to:  gf@imom.org

and if you don't hear right back from them check your spam file as their email may have gone there...Judy

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Hi everyone, thank you for your concern about George. I've been in touch with Erika and we're working to see if George can get taken care of soon by his vet. We'll keep you updated as we know more.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
I wanted to let all of George's friends know that he will be seen by the vet today to undergo a colonic evacuation. Poor boy has not had a bowel movement for several weeks, which is a very serious thing, as intestinal toxins can build up when he's not able to defecate.

Erika has done a great job this past year controlling George's condition (megacolon). There is really no treatment for megacolon, except for very extreme and risky surgery that includes removing the colon. The best way to handle megacolon is to do what Erika's been doing -- provide palliative care in the form of lactulose, stool softeners, fiber in diet, and enemas.

Unfortunately with this disease, sometimes these efforts are not enough, and another fecal mass will form, necessitating manual removal.

George is on his way to the vet right now to have this done today. He'll need to be anesthetized for the procedure, and x-rays will first need to be done to determine where the fecal mass is, and the best way to extract it. We are keeping fingers, toes, and paws crossed that he has a safe and successful procedure.

Our sincere thanks to those wonderful angels who make donations to our general fund. Your generosity has allowed us to pledge $362 so George can have the procedure he needs.

We will keep you updated on George's progress as we know more later today.

Attached File  GEORGE.jpg   66.84K   7 downloads

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
I've spoken with George's doctor, and he said George's procedure went very well today. Yay!

I believe that George will be able to go home tonight. I'm sure we'll hear from Erika when she has a chance to get online.

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
We are so relieved to know George is relieved and feeling better.  

:minichat6: :catwatching:
HELP JUST ONE

Michele W

Michele W

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 254 posts
Hi, Erika,

I visited the Libby's website and here's what they say about their pumpkin products:

"Having Trouble Finding Libby's Pumpkin? Due to poor weather conditions last fall, our pumpkin harvest was smaller than we expected. This is why you may be having difficulty finding Libby's Pumpkin. Unfortunately, we will continue to be in short supply until our next harvest in the fall. Early in the harvest last year, it looked like we would have plenty of pumpkin, but Mother Nature had other plans for us. The heavy rains throughout the harvest have made it nearly impossible to pick our pumpkins. That's because tractors and other equipment were not able to move through the saturated fields. We hope she's better to us this season, giving us a little less rain and a lot more sunshine because we are already planning to plant even more acres of pumpkins."

It might be possible for you to purchase Libby's pumpkin from online stores:

http://www.google.co...bby%27s+pumpkin

All best,
Michele

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,988 posts
I am so happy that George is still doing so well...hoping his morning problem is just a bump in the road...sending you and George best wishes for a wonderful Holiday week end...thank you for keeping us posted on how George is doing...you take SUCH GOOD CARE OF HIM!  Judy

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Erika, it's great to read that George is doing so well. It really makes my day to read your updates.

Please give George some pets for me!

kittygirl229

kittygirl229

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi my thoughts are with you my Darla had a subtotal colenectomy in October for her megacolon and I know it can be hard and frustrating.  I hope all goes well with your baby.
Dayna

kittygirl229

kittygirl229

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
just some thoughts i'm sure your vet told you but just in case:
wet food is better it has more water in it then dry food
my kitty ended up on lactulose, cisapride, and golytle (instead of miralax it is what they give to people prior to a colonoscopy) itis a powder that for peole you mix with water and drink for kitties you mix a small amount of powder with food.  Those 3 medications when we found the right dosages for darla worked wonders for about a year.  Also make sure that the doctor looked at the xrays post enema and made sure there was no back or hip problems becasue pain can prevent them from using the litter box.  Good luck it definetly is a balancing act.
dayna

View PostICEMONKEY09, on 08 June 2010 - 01:48 AM, said:

Posted ImageTHANK YOU. IM STILL STUGGLING FOR THE RIGHT FOMULA TO MAKE SHURE GEORGE STAYS REGULAR. TODAY HIS POOP WAS FIRMER THAN THE LAST AND SHOULD BE SOFTER THEN THE LAST SO I PUT HIM BACK ON THE MIRLAX TWICE PERDAY AND BACK ON THE LACTOLOSE TREE TIMES PER DAY FOR NOW, THEN TRY ANOUTHER FORMULA A FEW DAYS AFTER. I HOPE DARLA IS DOING OK CURENTLY. MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU AND DARLA. LOVEING BLESSINGS EVERYONE....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users