Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

liver issue and milk thistle

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,116 posts
Justice has had cholangiohepatitis 3 times. His bile acids have finally been normal for awhile. Now, Tuck's bile acids are elevated. As Celia suggested, I need to get them on Milk Thistle.

I want to get them a safe product, and I was told abt Denamarin and marin.

Denamarin has silybin/milk thistle along with SAMe
Marin has silybin/milk thsitle and Vit E.

Here is my dilemma--Denamarin sounds safer, but I am hearing it's expensive (don't know the cost yet)--let me know what u guys think.

I was going to just get Milk Thistle, but I read (of course this is from the Denamarin site, BUT, others have said that they have had issues (such as diarrhea) with some milk thistle when they have run out of it, and bought a different brand. Everyone says u have to buy it from a trustworthy company-but I don't know of any particular company.

Bold type is my doing...

"While other S-Adenosylmethionine and silybin products for humans are available individually in health food stores and over-the-counter in pharmacies, there can be a significant variance in product quality and tablet strengths. Denamarin’s active ingredients individually have been shown to be safe and effective for both dogs and cats in published research studies and have been combined in a single easy-to-administer tablet. Denamarin also contains a specific silybin shown to provide better bioavailability in dogs compared to the standardized milk thistle commonly available in health food stores and over-the-counter in pharmacies.

THEN....I thought, OK, I will find it online...
Well I wrote the the company that makes Denamarin, and asked a few questions. One question I asked was becuz I read on their site that Denamarin is only sold thru veterinary practices. Well that had me head scratching becuz I found it several places online. So I asked abt it-this is the response I got for that question-

"Denamarin is a veterinary exclusive product. The on-line retailers that
carry Denamarin do not purchase directly from Nutramax Laboratories, Inc.
or our authorized veterinary distributors."

I am confused--does that mean Denamarin sold online is not the real thing? So it won't be as safe?
ARRGH!!

Wednesday. I will be near a health food store (if it's still there), and I will get milk thistle--at least this time, since Tuck needs it ASAP. I just worry it's not as safe as the Denamarin?? What do u guys think??
Any brands to avoid or get??

Thanks!
Cindy

Posted Image

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
I can't help you out with your questions, BUT I have taken milk thistle for years now.  One of my blood reports came back with a semi high liver number.  I was told to take milk thistle and that's what I did...

I buy mine from Puritan's Pride...you can check it out online...it's very reasonable and there are always "deals"...buy 1 bottle get 1 free...buy 2 bottles get 3 free...

I don't know if there are others that are better, but knowing you, you can do tons of research on it...Judy

By the way, I just had blood work done and my liver number was GREAT!!! along with everything else...so the plain old milk thistle is doing what it's supposed to do

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,918 posts
QUOTE (Judy @ Feb 23 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I buy mine from Puritan's Pride...you can check it out online...it's very reasonable and there are always "deals"...buy 1 bottle get 1 free...buy 2 bottles get 3 free...

My LittleDog is on Milk Thistle because she takes Dermaxx, and her liver values were a little high.  Three months later, they were better.  We buy it at Walmart because her digestive system seems to be made of steel (the dog can and does eat anything) but I've been looking for a better source.  Thanks, Judy!

Cindy

Edited to add:  PS - Jacki just applied for us to be their affiliates so once we're approved we can earn 10% on all purchases!  WOOHOO!
Cindy/IMOM

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,116 posts
I went to the site Judy (thanks!), and I saw something as a warning with Milk Thistle-
(bold added myself)

"WARNING: If you are pregnant, nursing or taking any medications, consult your doctor before use. Avoid this product if you are allergic to ragweed or daisy-like flowers. Discontinue use and consult your doctor if any adverse reactions occur. Not intended for use by persons under the age of 18."

Of course, both boys are allergic to ragweed, and many other things. <sigh>
They have been on SAMe for a very long time, and their liver function has still not been good---of course without SAMe I realize it may have even been worse.
I did put a call into their allergists (their are 2 at Medvet and they each see a different one), to see of it would be an issue. So, we'll see...

YAY!! As I was finishing this up, Medvet called. Both allergists got together, and decided the boys can go ahead and use Milk Thistle (both think the Denamarin might be  less of a problem--but they aren't sure-so Milk Thistle is OK to try).
They said becuz it's not being inhaled, but rather ingested it may not be an issue at all. I was told that if it is a problem (more itching, etc), that I will know within 2 weeks, and discontinue it then.
Carol and david usually can't help a lot with extra's, but they said they will buy a month's worth of Denamarin for both boys. She has to go pick up some horse meds tmw, and the vet ordered it, so she can pick it up. It's $34/month, so $68 for both (thank you C and D!!). After a month I will need to switch to Milk Thistle and SAMe separately-but I'll know if either has an allergy reaction, and see if they do better on one rather then the other.

I hope it makes a difference for Tucker before his next Bile Acid in 15 days!!

Thanks so much!

Still would love input abt others that have or are now using Milk Thistle, Denamarin or Marin--and where u buy it.
Posted Image

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,974 posts
I buy all my supplements from Puritan's Pride so will make sure that IMOM gets their take on my orders...and will pass alot to others that I know use them...Judy

Snowbelt

Snowbelt

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 629 posts
Hi, Cindy--I get our supplements from vitacost.com. They are really very reasonably priced and have a small shipping charge regardless of how much you order. I use a lot of "Nature's Way" products, and they also make milk thistle. Nature's Way is also carried at a lot of health food stores.

Whenever we've needed to use a liver cleanse on any of our pets we were told that it is more effective to give the milk thistle in the evening meal instead of the morning meal.

Hope some of this info helps...

Diane

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,918 posts
QUOTE (Judy @ Feb 23 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I buy all my supplements from Puritan's Pride so will make sure that IMOM gets their take on my orders...and will pass alot to others that I know use them...Judy

It's now on our All Stores Page .The IMOM Mall is Always Open! .  Come on in!

Thanks for doing this so quickly, Jacki!

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users