Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Two frozen wanders at my house ....

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
Last night in the middle of the night (2am) Charlie started going nuts which is unlike him to do in the middle of the night.  So  I go see what it's about and here two dogs have pressed themselves to the patio door (trying to stay warm ?  ... the door is broken so heat esacapes pretty bad). So I open the door and the smaller of the two leaps into my arms. The other goes running ... but is watching like he wants to come in too.  So I take the little one and put her in the garage and go outside.
Keep in mind we got about 14" of snow yesterday! I'm calling to this little guy when I realize he's hurt. He's lame on his back leg.  I would have called him a tan / white boston terrier  mix (looked just like a Boston)  He wasn't real sure about me .. but edventually he belly crawled close enough that I got down on the ground and reassured him I was no threat. He finally came to me and when he did he was shaking .
I took him to the garage, grabbed some blankets and fresh water.  The injured one (I now know his name ... Franky)  had a collar and tags on he immediately hopped onto the blanket and curled up....licking his leg keeping a watchful eye on me.  I managed to get a look at the tags with some treats and lots of praise.   I called the owners who were so relieved I found him !  They came right away and were taking him to a clinic.  I don't think the leg was broken ... maybe hypothermia  ? ? ? They had no idea where the other dog had come from.  She has no tags. She's a dachshund. I actually thought maybe she was a mix, or a piebald gone wrong, but after look at pics online this morning I think she's a dapple. She's super tiny and I think the other dog had to have been keeping her alive/warm.  We took her to the shelter to see a friend of mine there this morning. No microchip. No reports of a missing doxie. If I left her there - they give her 48 hours(and they still use gas...) So she's here in the utility room for now at least .  Very sweet personality.  Anne said when she gets home she'll take her to the vet if no one has come for her.
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,193 posts
Hi Michelle, thank u for going out into the bad weather urself to get these puppers.
Franky's owners must be beside themselves with joy that u found him!

I don't know if u read awhile back abt the GSD my friend and I found. The park ranger called the dog warden , who took him to the dog shelter. We tried to find a vet open before the dog warden came, but it was Saturday afternoon. Since the dog was bleeding, and we all thought it had been shot (turns out it had a severe pyoderma and opened some blood filled like cysts where the bacteria had gathered), we were afraid it wouldn't survive in our barn (as well as how it would react with horses and 2 LBK's).**edit-I learned last night that after a NY vet checked the GSD-he performed surgery to remove bullet fragments...she had been shot). poor baby.
I spoke with the boys vet on Sunday(she was in Boston), to see if it would be safe for the boys if we would go get him out of the shelter (it was already in the works to get him into rescue/foster care) and bring him here in the garage or barn until the foster care was worked out. I was told that I would be putting the boys at risk to ever have a stray anywhere near where they go, or where humans are going into the barn, and then coming into the house, becuz even if he had appeared healthy (which he def was not)- he may be sick. I even clarified with the neuro that week, who was relieved I didn't expose the boys to him. I am not even supposed to take them into petstores (at least not to walk on the floor).
It was harder then anyone could ever know when the dog warden took him-but I couldn't take him home--plus he was in traffic and almost hit a few times.
The great news is that the shelter is changing. Yes they have been a "kill" shelter (like urs with 48hrs), but now it's only highly aggressive dogs. They actively call rescues now, and have had dogs there for months until they can find homes.
Thankfully this pupper is now in NY at Big Dogs Big Hearts rescue. He was fostered in Cleveland by a wonderful woman who deals with GSD's (and used to be on IMOM's board when it first opened!) and now by Darcy at BDBH.

I know rescues are few around Ohio, and it's not like we know who they are when u actually find a dog-- but try  searching for "small" dog, "dachshund", general rescues- in OH, but other states too-then email or call. I think breed specific is always the best bet. See if ur vet will take him in. Check the newspaper for lost animals -u could also put up posters. Even though we didn't bring the GSD home, we did these things in hopes someone would contact us (never did-and no microchip), and we could tell them where to find him.

I know he is already in ur home...just be careful especially around Syd, and keep them apart (at least until a vet can check him).
The boys don't get vaccs due to their epilepsy--so that's one reason I can't bring an animal home.

Bless u for doing all u are for this wee pupper. You saved both their lives.

Edited by k9sign, 01 February 2009 - 05:22 PM.

Posted Image

Pat.C

Pat.C

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
Hi Michelle,
Thank you soooo much for helping these two dogs. Thank heavens at least one had tags on. As for the other, maybe one of the sites listed below would be of some use to the shelter who is caring for him.

There are several groups where you can post about a lost or found dog and rescue folks cross post the information that is local to their area. There's a yahoo group called K9AmberAlert, Pets911, Pet FBI, Fido Finder, Dog Detective and of course Petfinder classifieds. Maybe the owner is known by someone in one of these groups. . . .

Pat - IMOM

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
QUOTE (k9sign @ Jan 29 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know he is already in ur home...just be careful especially around Syd, and keep them apart (at least until a vet can check him).
The boys don't get vaccs due to their epilepsy--so that's one reason I can't bring an animal home.

Oh, she's no where NEAR Sydney, the utilty room is in the garage. The labradorks can't even get near there.  Sydney & Charlie have the basement (with also has my DDs "room")  then there is a few steps up to a small family room (which has a slider that goes outside)  ....  from that room there is another couple steps up to the kitchen and that's gated - they can't go up. Then the garage is on the other side of the house. So there is no way she'll be anywhere even close to the dorks.  I know I can't take that risk.Anne took her to a vet I know that said he'd see her with no charge (someone I used to work with ). He checked a stool (clear) , gave her a booster & rabies, she's underweight but overall good health. The vet thought she is only about 1-2 years old & doesn't think she's been outside long. He said ( I thought so too) that she hasn't been spayed and maybe has even had pups. I called about a million rescues  ... and a bunch of my foster contacts.  I called my uncle too, but he's at work. I have a feeling he may want her. His dog passed away last year and he's wanted another little dog that doesn't have a ton of hair to deal with...

Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
I just went a took a pic so it makes more sense .... I don't want anyone to think I'd put Syd at ANY risk at all.  To the left is "down stairs" my daughters room, a small play area/my computer, and basement (where Syd likes to hang out because it's cool down there) To the right is up into the kitchen and the labs can't go up there. The garage is on the other side of the house from the top of those steps.

This is the room I'm standing in to take the pic... its' a little walk out family room. (that couch is a pull out for me to sleep with the labradorks wink.gif You can see the board in the middle of the sliding door trying to keep it from warping anymore ... it's probably why the pups found this spot because the door leaks something horrible.

Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
and here is a pic of the little visitor ...

Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,193 posts
Oh, gosh, Michelle, I hope u didn't think I was being mean. Even though I was sure u would know that Syd was vulnerable, sometimes we get excited or focused on something, and later do the V-8 smack on the head. LOL.
When someone writes as u did, abt putting the pupper in the utility room (ours is off the kitchen), as I said I was pretty positive u knew what to do--but it presents a great time to educate others who might read ur story, and just put their pet with a stray before a doc has checked them. You know me, I always try to help educate people (including myself!).

I'm sorry I made u feel u needed to post pics to show how the visitor pup is totally separated...but it is nice to see where u live!
The pupper is adorable. What a GREAT vet u have. I asked around recently and no vet would have taken the GSD we found without upfront payment...

I hope that if the owner isn't found, that ur uncle will take her. She has such a sweet face. Do u have a temporary name for her?

Posted Image

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
QUOTE (k9sign @ Jan 29 2009, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, gosh, Michelle, I hope u didn't think I was being mean. I'm sorry I made u feel u needed to post pics to show how the visitor pup is totally separated...but it is nice to see where u live!The pupper is adorable. What a GREAT vet u have. I asked around recently and no vet would have taken the GSD we found without upfront payment...
I hope that if the owner isn't found, that ur uncle will take her. She has such a sweet face. Do u have a temporary name for her?

Oh Cindy, I didn't feel badly based on your post. Just wanted to make sure no one ELSE got worried about Syd smile.gif It was actually one of my first thoughts - keeping them both away from Syd.   This isn't my regular vet (though he's awesome too) ... this is a retired equine vet that I did a lot of horse sitting for before my son was born ... he's become like family but he lives quite far.  He now breeds JRTs .... so when I have a desperate situation he can be very helpful. The kids are calling our visitor "Dapple".  She's so sweet it's unbelieveable. One of my rescue contacts thinks she might be from a "breeder" that isn't too far from here. She says there is someone that breeds this breed and a couple of others in rare colors and sells them to the pet stores :(   Either she got out somehow or someone threw her out. The good news is my uncle has agreed to come see her. He's going to stop out tonight to see her (I know once he sees her there is no way he won't take her ) ... but he wouldn't be able to take her home until next week as he'll be out of town.  So.... we'll see what happens.
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,989 posts
Michelle,

I am praying that your Uncle takes Dapple...what a cool name...and by the way, she's SO CUTE!!

I wouldn't work to hard to find the owner...ESPECIALLY if it could be a breeder that sells to pet stores...AND...odds are she lives in some sort of kennel situation...

What could be better than a loving home with your Uncle...plus, she's been vetted...

I'll keep checking...

IF a responsible pet owner lost their dog, they would be looking for her high and low...flyers, ads in the paper and signs posted...

I wouldn't post a found ad at all...so signs ups or ads in the paper...no one is looking that hard for her...

Consider this a SAVE...Judy

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,193 posts
How is little Dapple doing??
Posted Image

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
QUOTE (k9sign @ Jan 31 2009, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is little Dapple doing??

She's doing good smile.gif She wasn't eating much at first (I was smashing Syd & Char's large kibbles for her)  So last night they went and bought her a little bed, harness, and a smaller kibble.  He just loves her  ... I knew he would. He's going to give her a shot when he gets back from his work trip. He's a little worried about what his cat will think but I'm sure it will be fine!    I just hope I can keep the kids from getting too attached over this week.  (both of them *AND* Anne are wanting to keep her!!)
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
Another great rescue! Thank goodness they showed up on your doorstep.
Any chance that Franky's family would want Dapple also? It sure sounds like they bonded and that Franky was Dapple's hero.

Edited by kuhio98, 01 February 2009 - 02:56 PM.

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,193 posts
I just keep thinking abt the 2 puppers and wondering how the heck they met up with each other. They had many angels looking out for them! I also just marvel that either survived with that huge amount of snow-it had to be as deep as they are tall (or deeper!).

I hope Dapple is doing well. Did u ever hear anything from Franky's parents abt how he is doing?

Oh, BTW, the GSD I told u abt that we found, and I thought was shot- but the vet thought it was self mutilation becuz of severe pyoderma? Well I got an email last night from the NY rescue--the GSD WAS shot afterall--wish I had been wrong. Some bullet fragments can't surgically be removed (but it  won't interfere with his life) and he had surgery to remove some others--and was neutered. Now to get his skin cleared up...he will be adoptable YAY!!!
Franky's parents are very responsible since they had ID on him-hopefully micro-chipped too.

Thanks again michelle for saving the puppers...and of course a HUGE thanks to Syd and Charlie for letting u know abt the 2 visitors!!

Posted Image

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Dapple is doing fine. She's pretty content to lay around anyplace it's warm. She apparently remembers being cold because she will NOT go outside in the snow AT ALL and is constantly burying herself under towels / blankets/ anything I give to her to stay warm. I thought I lost her when I went in the utility room awhile ago...  I called for her, looked around and didn't see her. Thought my daughter may have let her into the garage so I looked all over ... then I see her little nose peeking out from under the towels.  We are going to try and have her spayed while my uncle is gone so it's taken care of for him. He said he would cover the costs if we do it.

Franky is going to lose his back leg. As I thought it wasn't broken, but severely frozen. His family was very thankful we found him and will have the surgery done weds.  They called me last night to tell me thank - you again. I was happy to be able to reassure them that tripods do really really well and they shouldn't be too concerned about the adjusting after the surgery. I also told them my uncle is taking Dapple and that Franky probably saved her / kept her warm.

We have another possible "rescue" in progress over here. Yesterday AM  my son found a kitty that is apparently living under the front steps. I've seen her a couple times in the drive way / on the road .... but yesterday we saw her come and go from the steps all day (she's buried out some snow to get under there) She's a calico ... and not so sure about people. Anne went and got some Cat Chow and she's been taking it (yesterday / last night). I haven't seen her yet today, but I'm going to put some more cat chow out.  She looks okay (not overly skinny)... Hard to tell from the window / spying on her when she's eating (if she sees you , she stares for a minute and then back under the steps)   I called a friend with a cat trap hoping maybe we can get one. I'm also hoping their aren't any babies under that step - I've been trying to listen and see if I hear any mewing but haven't so far.

Edited by SydsMom, 02 February 2009 - 02:47 PM.

Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
Well, Dapple is doing fine ...

.... but I am really worried about kitty under the porch. She's been staying away all day, but she comes back here over night.  Tonight I was with my mom for awhile and when I came home I hadn't put food out and I saw the fresh prints in the snow that she had gone to the food bowl to find it bare.  So I went out , filled the dish and called "here kitty kitty" and went back in.

A few minutes later, I peeked out and there she was chowing down.  

I just don't know that it's warm enough under there for her. It's supposed to be REALLY cold tonight and I'm just sick thinking about her out there.  There is no way she'll come to me  :(

Any suggestions on what I can do ? I think thinking of trying to stuff some straw or something under there ... will she move it around to where she needs it ? or if I put out a towel or something ?  Gosh, it has to just be cold mud under there :(   I'm not sure if she's going all the way under the porch or not , but I can't really get under there other than to stuff some in the hole she's made. (the rest is blocked with a wood skirt and high snow - I don't want to dig it out because I think that's helping insulate it down there ?? )   And any suggestions on how to get some liquids out to her?   (water will just freeze)

If there are kittens right now, they likely won't survive the night I wouldn't think ?
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
Just an update, Dapple (now named Super Dapple Daphne courtesy of my uncle and son) is doing great and is completely adored.   She's going to get spayed & cared for  by Sydney's vet until my uncle finds someone in his area he likes (I guess his current vet is just a kitty vet). She's so sweet smile.gif
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,831 posts
What a wonderful story Michelle. I'm so glad Frankie's owners were found and Dapple has a new and wonderful home. She is such a cutie.

Oh and just so you know, we always worry about Syd but never worry about how you care for her and Charlie too. Your a wonderful mom and don't forget it
Deb, Spike(RB 3/13/07), Riley (RB 8/12/13), Tigger, Jake, Tyson and Jax

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users