Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Stage 3 Chronic Renal Failure - 8 month old GSD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

UConnGSD

UConnGSD
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Hi, This is my very first post. JeanKBBMMMAAN told me about this site and so I'm here looking for people who have dogs with Chronic Renal Failure. Wolfie has recently been diagnosed by Cornell as having this disease after many months of anguish. I would like to ask those with the relevant experience what specifically (in terms of diet, supplements, medications -- traditional and holistic, etc) helped with their affected dogs and what didn't. I know the vets really push the K/D diets but Wolfie hates it with a passion. He is eating home cooked and holistic foods right now and is doing well otherwise. He has high energy -- he was bouncing off the walls at 9 pm last night and this after almost 45 mins of ball chase at different points of the evening. Nonetheless, the prognosis is not good with this disease and we want to ensure that we can maintain (or hopefully, even improve) his condition for a long time to come. Any advice would be much appreciated!

JeanKBBMMMAA

JeanKBBMMMAA

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,584 posts
Hey! Just saying hello! You can post pictures from Photobucket on here too. He's such a handsome Wolfie!
IPB Image

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,788 posts
Hi

If you go this site and go to the link section, she has links to infomration on canine kidney issues. I don't know if the condition is different in dogs- but many of the therapies may be the same. Fluids for one, is a mainstay of treatment for both.

http://www.felinecrf.org

Good luck to you! Are they sure this is chronic and not acute- which would come from different sources, such as poisons- antifreeze, etc.

Kathy

Rottendogs

Rottendogs

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 638 posts
What is causing Wolfie's CRF?? I know some stuff that might help, but it depends on the underlying cause.
Celia

UConnGSD

UConnGSD
  • Members
  • 2 posts
The Cornell vets think it is chronic because of the repetitive e-coli infection. They think that the infection might be lodged just in the kidneys and that's why the infection has been so hard to drive out completely. We will be doing a pyelocentesis on Jan 30 which will confirm or deny this.

JeanKBBMMMAA

JeanKBBMMMAA

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,584 posts
Good luck tomorrow at Cornell!
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users