Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Separation ANXIETY

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

sasavage

sasavage
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Hello my name is Sarah and our family adopted a 10 month old Great Pyranese Golden mix, named Nicky a few months ago. We already have an 8yr old Rottie and they get along pretty well. They are both boys and like eachother most of the time. Nicky is a huge ball of fur and is so sweet, but he is a real toddler that is bigger than our Rottie and is a floppy wild thing! He does well most of the time with behaviors and has learned to walk well on a leash. The kids love to play ball with him after school and he loves to run.

Nicky did great when the kids were home from school during the summer, but now that they have all gone back to school and we're work...he is crazy. He barks for hours and and literally tears up the house. He tore up the couch and really gets anxious when we are gone. We have tried to use a kennel when we leave, but he is very upset and tears up his bed and I feel he may hurt himself. We have been planning to put a dog run outside in our big yard, but we are afraid that he would dig out, bark or try to jump the fence.

PLEASE help us figure out what to do. We love him dearly and worry about how we can protect him and lessen his stress. We have even resorted to using a mild sedative when we have to leave for a long period of time so he will just sleep. He has the company of our Rottie, the run of the house and lots of toys and bones to keep him busy, but we are just at our witts end. We just don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Sincerely and desparately,
Sarah

Rottendogs

Rottendogs

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 638 posts
Try a DAP collar on him and a DAP diffuser in your house. entirely pets dot com has them. DAP stands for Dog Appeasing Pheronome and is great for calming, dealing with thunder and lightning fear, etc.
Good Luck.
Celia

sasavage

sasavage
  • Members
  • 4 posts
QUOTE (Rottendogs @ Oct 1 2008, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try a DAP collar on him and a DAP diffuser in your house. entirely pets dot com has them. DAP stands for Dog Appeasing Pheronome and is great for calming, dealing with thunder and lightning fear, etc.
Good Luck.
Celia

Thank you so much! We will order one and give it a try. I have used the pheronome plug in for my cat at work. Thank you, I never knew they made a collar.

Thank you again for taking the time to help us out...
Nicky and I thank you.
Sarah

linda1352

linda1352

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
QUOTE (sasavage @ Sep 30 2008, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello my name is Sarah and our family adopted a 10 month old Great Pyranese Golden mix, named Nicky a few months ago. We already have an 8yr old Rottie and they get along pretty well. They are both boys and like eachother most of the time. Nicky is a huge ball of fur and is so sweet, but he is a real toddler that is bigger than our Rottie and is a floppy wild thing! He does well most of the time with behaviors and has learned to walk well on a leash. The kids love to play ball with him after school and he loves to run.

Nicky did great when the kids were home from school during the summer, but now that they have all gone back to school and we're work...he is crazy. He barks for hours and and literally tears up the house. He tore up the couch and really gets anxious when we are gone. We have tried to use a kennel when we leave, but he is very upset and tears up his bed and I feel he may hurt himself. We have been planning to put a dog run outside in our big yard, but we are afraid that he would dig out, bark or try to jump the fence.

PLEASE help us figure out what to do. We love him dearly and worry about how we can protect him and lessen his stress. We have even resorted to using a mild sedative when we have to leave for a long period of time so he will just sleep. He has the company of our Rottie, the run of the house and lots of toys and bones to keep him busy, but we are just at our witts end. We just don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Sincerely and desparately,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

There is a liquid you can find at most pharmacys and at health food places, called Rescue Remedy made by Bach, it also comes in a creme. We used the liquid, several drops at a time to help to help our furbaby stay calm after surgery. Maybe it will help a little. We have never dealt with seperation anxiety but I know how hard and frustrating it can be. The experts say not to big a deal about leaving, because our babies pick up on our anxiety, we always talk to Sarah and tell her that we will be right back. Hope this helps at least a little.

Labbie kisses

Linda, Mike, Walker

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
Here are some very good tips on helping to reduce separation anxiety. While medication can be used it only covers up the problem and doesn't get rid of it.

Seperation Anxiety

Good luck and if you still find your having trouble you can always contact a behaviorist who could help you.
Deb, Spike(RB 3/13/07), Riley (RB 8/12/13), Tigger, Jake, Tyson and Jax

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

mcordovi

mcordovi

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 105 posts
QUOTE (Rottendogs @ Oct 1 2008, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good Luck.
Celia

November 9th, 2008

Dear friend Celia:
We haven't talk for a while, that doesn't mean we forgot you.
This is Manuel, Winster and Zorro, we know,  you know about us.
We hope all of you are in good health and very happy.
This is my question: this morning I read in the forum your
suggestion about DAP, I will like a little more information ,because Zorro
is very scared when is raining and don't tell you about the lightning!!!
and I get so sad seein him like that, even when I try to calm down him
and doesn't seems to work...
Please, tell me more about your experience, if you can.
That will be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,

animcndc_sm.gif Winster, Zorro and Manuel Cordovi

Jinnimom

Jinnimom
  • Members
  • 3 posts
I adopted my dog when he was about 7 and I had no luck with behavior management, medication or other alternative treatments for his separation anxiety.  I had to resort to taking him to doggie day care.  He loves it best!

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
Keep him busy when you aren't home. Stuff and freeze kongs. Don't make a big deal out of coming and going.

My Sydney had SEVERE seperation anxiety when she was younger, but we started to find her cues (she'd start getting worked up when she heard me get my keys ... so I started just randomly getting my keys so that wouldn't trigger the situation).

I also did stuffed kongs and other toys IN HER CRATE (and I was afraid she'd hurt herself freaking out in there at first, but she did well with it later and it was safer than eating couches / wood work / jumping out windows).  

There is a LOT of information about it on the web if you do some searches.  And there are medications (like puppy prozac) that can help a lot if behavior modification doesn't work.
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users