Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Cat needs surgery to remove teeth

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Luvs2000

Luvs2000
  • Members
  • 4 posts
<H2 style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px">My daughters 7 year old cat has been diagnosed with stomatitis/gingivitis with resorptive lesions

She has been on antibiotics 3 times and given 2 steroid shots during these issues

When she was treated the 1st time it got to be 75% improvement however within a few weeks we are back to the same again.

The vet has recommended teeth extractions maybe even full mouth extraction and so I took her to my old vet in a city I moved from and he said the same thing.  He told me if they do a partial removal chances are in a year or two it could come back and we would have the same problem with the front teeth.  

Can my cat have a good quality life with NO teeth?

I know she can eat can food however I want to do what is best for her future over all not just the immediate future.

My daughter nor I can afford this surgery so she is thinking of putting her down...I however am looking into other options

Thank you

Joy

</H2>

Attached Files

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
Welcome Joy!  If you haven't already filled out an application, start here:  http://www.imom.org/fa/ and read everything to see if you qualify.  Even if you're not sure, fill out an application and start gathering up the required paperwork.  

We have an older kitty who is missing most of her teeth.  She used to have the "breath of death" until she had her teeth pulled.  After many rounds of antibiotics, she seems to be on the mend now.  

But, I've heard of many cats who do well without any teeth at all.  We buy human baby food for her.  She loves it and the vet said it was okay as long as it didn't have onion or garlic flavoring in it.  

But, Cammie still loves crunchies!  I don't know how the ole girl manages it, but she carefully eats them one at a time.  

Gentle hugs to your baby.  

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Joy, I share my home with two kitties who have had many teeth removed. One kitty has only 4 teeth left. The other kitty has 10 teeth (after removing 11), but those 10 teeth will need to be removed soon. Another one of my kitties, who is now at the Rainbow Bridge, was completely toothless.

Kitties do just fine without teeth. You may need to make some diet adjustments (perhaps serving wet food), but both of my teeth-challenged kitties eat dry food with no problem.

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
Same here, Joy.   My cat, Autumn, had to have all but a couple teeth removed and she did fine with both wet and dry food.  A cat's oral health is so critical to their overall health, that it is important to treat it and treat it comprehensively.

Paula
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Guest_PetAngel_*

Guest_PetAngel_*
  • Guests
Joy;

My brothers cat, Pumpkin, had all his teeth removed.  He was an Alley cat that adopted us, so we figure he had poor nutrition for a lot of his life and it caused the problems.

Pumpkin ate anything and everything!  He had a long and happy life!  In fact Pumpkin got help from IMOM when he had medical emergencies and lived even longer thanks to the IMOM Angels!

I hope you and/or your daughter applies for help here and that the kitty gets it's needed surgery.  

Best of luck to you all;
Nancy

Luvs2000

Luvs2000
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Thank you to all of you that have responsed to my post so far.  The words of encouragement are so helpful and a huge comfort! kittydrinking.gif  It is nice to hear a cat can get along just fine without her teeth and live a full quakity life.
thanks3.gif AGAIN

magyarlany

magyarlany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
When my cat, Charlie, was around 10 years old, I had to have all of his teeth removed. After rounds of antibiotics and steroids were were only a temporary "quick fix", the vet hospital said that his best bet was to have ALL of teeth removed.

I was a doubter, but I was willing to try anything because Charlie was more-or-less starving to death because his mouth was so inflamed that he couldn't eat....

Anyway....it was a 100% success and even though I started to feed him soft food twice a day, he still ate the dry cat food whole if he wanted a snack! He was my toothless old man until he died a few years later!

I say, go for it!!!!! It really does work....even though it sounds like a strange fix!

Luvs2000

Luvs2000
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your reply.
I am in the process of looking for funding for this operation since it is something my daughter nor myself can afford.
Her cat can still eat the dry food however since we found out what her problems were I have been giving her canned food on a daily basis at least 2 times a day.
The canned food used to be a every now and then treat so it is taking a little bit of her system to get used to since she was basically on dry food for the last 7 years.

I am trying all the things I know of to help her and try and get funding to help pay for this surgery vs the alternative of putting her to sleep.

Luvs2000

Luvs2000
  • Members
  • 4 posts
I am in the process of getting all my paper work in order to fax over however with wanting a copy of my taxes since I am self employed there are about 50 pages or so.  What part of my taxes will you need me to fax over in this type of situation?

Thank you
Joy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users