Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Soliciting donations - continued

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts
This topic began in another forum:
http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?sh...amp;#entry75731

Cynthia replied via email.  Her community membership was closed.

THis is part of the reason why donations are so low now Jacki : You have been  closing PIN threads funds before they have gotten the full treatment they need.  Your donors are geting pissed off. There has been a group formed with all the  people that are pissed off at the all of a sudden changes.

And by way, I DO mind my account being suspended. Wether you realize it or  not, I have alot of friends still with IMOM and I have been getting emails  stating that they are upset at this.

Cynthia

I will reply to Cynthia and copy my reply to this topic.
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts
If anyone else would like to voice an opinion, please do so.  I will reply to each and every post.

It really bothers me that after ten years we IMOMers still have to explain ourselves and our policies.  Applicant qualifications and policies are on our web site and each applicant is instructed to read them so they have a full understanding.

You might also take into consideration that the only time IMOM has been slandered in this manner is when we have been unable to help a PIN.  That tells me that we are wonderful when we can help, but garbage when we can't?

I am going to spend some time with my furkids.  I am far too hurt and angry right now to reply to Cynthia's email.

Hopefully by the time I get back to the community some of the people Cynthia spoke on behalf of will come forward and voice their concerns.  catwatching.gif

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts
QUOTE (Jacki IMOM @ Jun 8 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cynthia replied via email.  Her community membership was closed.

I will reply to Cynthia and copy my reply to this topic.

My reply to Cynthia:

*Note* After sending this email  I will block your email address.  I prefer to be in the open with my comments.   I have opened a topic titled "Soliciting Donations" and invited replies and  comments.  I'm sure you have already seen it.  As a guest, you are permitted to  post there.  All guests are.        

I'm certainly happy you have been able to analyze  the drop in donations. I had no idea you have more experience in running a NP  than any of us at IMOM and could pin point these problems.  Silly me.  I thought  it was due to the economy -- as did everyone else in the US.  I can't speak for  CA as I have no idea about your economy.  

For the record, IMOM has never closed a case (except for non-compliance) before raising all funds needed for the  veterinary care asked for in the original application and in a written estimate.   We have made exceptions and re-opened cases only when we didn't have a  heavy case load and donations were coming in for all of our other PIN kids.  You  need to get your facts straight before you start spewing venom.

Am I supposed to feel threatened by this group  that has been formed?  I find it odd that I haven't heard from any of them.  I   posted your email in the community so your friends and other members can voice  their opinions.  Let's see how the people who are waiting for donations for dogs  with broken backs and broken jaws and dental disease might feel about it.  The  pets who have not received any care.  And let's not  forget those who are still trying to find sponsors for ongoing  illnesses.

I'm glad you have friends still from IMOM.  That  is one of the functions of IMOM - to bring together people with a genuine  concern for animals. If any of you are  interested in setting up your own NP, let me know and I'll be happy to help.  I  would suggest you not start a NP though until you have an average of 14-16 hours  a day, seven days a week, for at least the first five years.  Be ready to give  up most of your personal life.  It's very worth while though to help sick,  injured and abused companion animals.  

And then  in ten years people who are clueless about what it takes to keep a NP org. up  and running can send you emails like the one you sent to me.  

Quote: <<Your donors are getting pissed off. >>

I would like to clarify something about the above  quoted comment.  They are not my donors.  They are IMOM PIN donors.  If  donors choose to not help our PIN kids because they are "pissed off" at  me, they don't belong in our community.  IMOM is about helping pets who  qualify - not holding grudges.  

In closing, I would like to share something with  you.  The hardest thing I had to learn with IMOM was that we cannot save them  all.  As much as we would like to, it simply is not possible.  Thank you for stepping on my heart and sending me this  reminder of something that has always been very painful to IMOMers.  

Hopefully your group will be more successful than  IMOM has been.

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
I am absolutely shocked at you, Cynthia.  Shocked, offended, and ashamed. mad.gif

How dare you question and judge us?  You, who were the recipient of IMOM's generousity when CJ was so ill?  Do you have any idea how hard I worked to help you get CJ to Orchard Park when your own vet turned his back on you? I called all over half of NY and Ontario and even wrote letters trying to find him a vet.   Without IMOM, CJ wouldn't have had a chance.  Yet you don't like the way we run things!  This forum is a social outlet for you - but for us, IMOM is a mission.  You come here and exchange posts with others, and that's fine:  that's what the forum is for.  But we put in hours and hours a day, processing applications, calling vets, completing paperwork, and asking for money for pets we will never even meet.  And we've been doing that for 10 years, paying out over $1,000,000 we raised for hundreds of pets.  Yet you have the audacity to think you know what we should and should not be doing?  We do what we do because we care about animals, not for applause or to receive accolades for our work.  But we do NOT expect to be slapped in the face by someone we helped.   I never expected you to be so vicious.  Many times, we volunteers have felt it would be so much easier if we could deal with the pets directly.  This is one of those times.  I bet CJ never bit the hand that fed him.  

Cindy/IMOM
CJ's caseworker
Cindy/IMOM

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
PS..I hope none of the above sounds snooty. It isn't meant to be.

PPS..I have to wonder how PIN parents feel when they see community members taking away from their donations by sending people to fundraising sites not associated with IMOM.

It doesn't sound snooty at all, when read with an open mind and when you understand IMOM is doing what it can to protect the donors too.  Donations are down because the US economy is in a deep, deep recession- pure and simple.  

IMOM only promises the PIN parents the OPPORTUNITY to raise funds for their PIN and to get their story out there.  It's up to the PIN parent to seize the opportunity and do something with it.  Some do, and some don't.  And Celia is right, it is about the animal, and a lot of donor decisions are made in spite of the PIN parent, and sometimes donor decisions are made outside of what the IRS defines as "charitable contributions".  

Can I say I've agreed with every decision the board has made?  NOPE.  Can I say 90% of them I have.... you bet!

HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

vickyimom

vickyimom

Board of Directors

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 866 posts
I will probably have several posts in this thread - right now after reading what Cynthia wrote, I am too hurt and angry, as a volunteer, to respond now, but I will later. It really takes the wind of of my volunteer sails to get "gimme gimme gimme" and then a big knife in the back :( Some people really turn into big jerks when they are no longer getting big amounts of "free money" that other people work darn hard to earn and donate to help them with their own pet :(  And they probably don't even realize, that by turning into big jerks, they are hurting other peoples pets - volunteers and donors can only take so much abuse before saying "enough". Maybe they just don't give a darn about anyone elses pet as long as THEY get what THEY want. Sad :(  

Catpaws wrote:
Can I say I've agreed with every decision the board has made? NOPE. Can I say 90% of them I have.... you bet!

Thank you Catpaws, and I understand what you are saying. What I will tell you is the IMOM Board works really hard. One of my cases posted approx 20 times before being funded, for a pretty large amount of money. My file as the case worker had over 200 items in it.....so one way to look at it, is that was TEN TIMES the amount of work the pet owner did, to get their OWN PET funded. And that doesn't count the phone calls and faxes to vets, etc - which are all on the volunteers own dime. Every donated penny to IMOM goes to the PINs. There is alot of work that volunteers do that isn't seen on the forum. As volunteers, we do this for the PINs - plain and simple, we care about the pets. It isn't about the people, altho I have had some wonderful applicants that made me very happy to have helped them, as well as their pets. And then there have been some with a lousy entitlement attitude, who treat vols like dirt (or worse), and yet we're still happy the pet has been helped.

As volunteers, we're people too. Other than IMOM, I also run a rescue, work fulltime and overtime, and have a houseful of my own special needs pets, and a bunch of fosters. This is the same for other IMOM vols - we all have pretty full plates. I WANT to be able to help people help their pets through IMOM - no one at IMOM wants to see pets suffer - that is precisely why we all volunteer. But I don't want to be stepped on, abused, bashed, name called, and treated like dirt :(  

To the bashers - remember - IMOM is a charity, and a completely volunteer charity at that. Think about other charitable orgs - when was the last time you  talked to your pastor (who is paid!) or church volunteers like that? Or any other volunteer that was offering you help and money for nothing in return? IMOM is not an insurance company, IMOM is not a big corporation - IMOM is a VOLUNTEER CHARITY.

So to anyone that wants to bash - think about how much bashing, as a VOLUNTEER giving up your blood sweat and tears to help someone you don't know and will never meet YOU would take before saying take a hike.    

Vicky/IMOM  

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Cynthia, in case your powerful grapevine hasn't told you, there's another group forming.  It's a group of long-time IMOM donors who are pissed off at ungrateful and ignorant applicants like yourself.  

Animals never disappoint; people often do.  The most painful part of helping animals is having to deal with the humans in the story.  

It gets very tiring.  Why do we persevere?  Volunteering is about trying to make a difference.  Jacki and her dedicated volunteers have made a huge difference in the lives of many, many animals over the last decade.  I suggest you volunteer your time in some way and see if you can make a positive difference somewhere, instead of throwing stones at an organization that helped your sorry ass when noboby else would.  

And bravo to what Celia said above.

Kay

Kay

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
I continue to be so impressed by the IMOM volunteers, and I've had the privilege over the last few years to meet a few of them in person.  I have also been impressed by the number of animals -- and their people -- who have been helped.  When I first came upon IMOM, I had recently lost a beloved kitty and had felt so lucky that no decision I had made about his care was based on financial decisions and I was looking for an organization that helped people who were not so fortunate.  There are very few out there with IMOM's mission, very few places for folks to turn to.  And the only reason this organization exists is because of those volunteers.  I have always been grateful to honor the cats who have graced my life by having an organization so completely trustworthy to donate some dollars to, and I do worry when these situations come up that they will throw up their hands and say "enough is enough" -- but, thank goodness, so far they never have.  They continue to help that next case, that next animal, and, yes, that caregiver who has despaired of finding help.  Thanks for being there, guys, when noone else is.

TigresMeow

TigresMeow

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 669 posts
I just went and read through most of CJ's thread.  And I again shed tears for the furbaby that couldn't be saved no matter how much money was involved.

To think that CJ's mom would act this way after all Jacki, Cindy, the IMOM volunteers
and members of this board did for her is absolutely mind boggling to me.

How sad.
Kat n her K9 Crew
-Katie, Corree, Stormy, Dakota Rose, Maggie, Belle, Kiwi, Lola and Coco Puff
-and 3 special Sheltie Angels...Sable, Megan and Lacey Jane
-and 2 special Chihuahua Angels.....Callie (Chunky Monkey) and little Peanut and 1 special Pittie angel....Dixie Doo

Posted Image

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
I am thoroughly disgusted that an applicant who was the recipient of so much generosity, both tangible money and intangible support and hard work, would take a dirty knife to our back like this. Cynthia, we pledged what was, at the time, an unprecedented amount of money to help get CJ seen ASAP. Up to that point, it was the largest pledge we had made. Then there were the thousands of dollars contributed by generous angels - many of whom probably gave up a personal purchase, possibly even a necessity, so they could help a pet they had never met. And I haven't even mentioned the butt-busting hard work of the volunteers who went well above and beyond the call of duty to make sure CJ got what we needed. As a volunteer on both the general fund and Board of Directors, I saw it all.

And this is how we're all treated? This is how you thank the volunteers, who unselfishly give up their personal time FOR FREE to help pets, and the community members who believe in and support IMOM with monetary and intangible support? Somehow I expected more from a person whose faith brings us The Golden Rule...

Anyone who wants to bash us needs to remember: we are not here because we HAVE to be. And we're not here because some big government entity has gives us funding that keeps us rolling in dough. We're here because we want to help people help pets. We're a small, grassroots org that can only do so much. We don't HAVE to help anyone. But we do, because we want to. You have no idea everything that goes on behind the scenes day by day to make IMOM a reality.

But even though we can't do it all, we do what we can, the best that we can. I receive many emails from potential or current applicants, telling us that out of all the X number of orgs they contacted, we were the only one who could offer them any hope of possible funding. And that's what we have to offer - hope, and a chance. Not a promise, not a guarantee; to do so would be misleading.

So bash on, if that's how you get your kicks. I, for one, would rather spend my time helping others, not trying to hurt them.

Tracy

Edited by Tracy IMOM, 08 June 2008 - 10:49 PM.

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,176 posts
QUOTE (CatPaws @ Jun 8 2008, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS..I hope none of the above sounds snooty. It isn't meant to be.

PPS..I have to wonder how PIN parents feel when they see community members taking away from their donations by sending people to fundraising sites not associated with IMOM.

It doesn't sound snooty at all, when read with an open mind and when you understand IMOM is doing what it can to protect the donors too.  Donations are down because the US economy is in a deep, deep recession- pure and simple.  

IMOM only promises the PIN parents the OPPORTUNITY to raise funds for their PIN and to get their story out there.  It's up to the PIN parent to seize the opportunity and do something with it.  Some do, and some don't.  And Celia is right, it is about the animal, and a lot of donor decisions are made in spite of the PIN parent, and sometimes donor decisions are made outside of what the IRS defines as "charitable contributions".  

Can I say I've agreed with every decision the board has made?  NOPE.  Can I say 90% of them I have.... you bet!

I agree Paula2.

I realize I am not a donor here, but I want to support the IMOM volunteers, and let them know I understand how difficult and challenging their decisions must be.

For emotional reasons, I can't say I have agreed with every decision the board has made.
I wish to God, that Taffy's case could have been re-opened again. BUT, I also know that decisions made by the board at IMOM are not made lightly. I also don't have all the facts in front of me to know why decisions are made.

The volunteers do a job I would never be able to do--they have always been there for my boys, and me too. There is not a load of money just sitting somewhere for every pet-they have to make decisions-hard decisions.

With the economy things have changed dramatically. There are still  PIN's here that do not have full sponsorship or funding...even for an emergency.
It used to be that often an emergency would come, and within a day, sometimes hours,  that PIN would have the funds for treatment. There is an emergency PIN who has been here several days, and as of this afternoon is still not fully funded (hopefully that has changed)--people just don't have much money to spare.

I may not fully understand, and I am saddened sometimes by decisions that have to be made, but I support IMOM and I always will--how could I not--I have 2 sweet little boys beside me becuz of IMOM, the volunteers and sponsors.

Edited by k9sign, 09 June 2008 - 09:17 AM.

Posted Image

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Okay I have been back to this thread six times and I am finally going to say what has been bothering me all day.

I feel some people forget too easy how IMOM and all of IMOM's donors/supporters were there for them when they needed IMOM the most.  Cynthia if you would have just taken a step back before you wrote some of the things you did and remembered how hard Cindy worked to find a vet that was willing to help CJ, you may have taken a different approach; and instead of forming a group of pissed off people you might have tried to stand by us, as we did for you when you needed it the most. Yes you have made friends here and I am sure it hurts you when you think that IMOM is not doing more then you and or the pet's owner expects of us. But if you go back and read our policies, it clearly states; if you are accepted IMOM will fundraise to reach the low end of the estimate. There are times when IMOM will bend their rules to further help a PIN that recently was moved to AFR or H.E.  But there will be times when IMOM is not able too, and those are the times when we really need you to understand that we are hurting as well because we are not able to continue to help the pet.  But the reality is; it is not our or our donors’ financial responsibility to continue to cover for treatment beyond the initial agreement.  As you can see we are currently trying to fundraise close to $8,000 for the current PIN's.  If we already raised the money for your PIN and another health issue arises it is your responsibility to find other means to help them instead of ignoring everything IMOM did for you and blame us for not helping again.

Right now my heart aches for Jacki, this women has spent over 10 years of her life dedicating herself to help others, never once asking for anything in return.  I have been a IMOM volunteer for a year and half now and I can tell you that I have missed a lot of personal events, and social gathering because I was on call and there was an emergency case that I needed to help. I choose to put my personal commitment on the back burner so I could get the PIN up in hopes of saving him/her.  I can’t imagine how many personal commitments Jacki and the senior volunteers have missed, they have been dedicating their lives to help you help your pets and they have never once asked for anything in return other then, to let us know how your pet is doing from time to time. (not much to ask for saving a pets life).

Volunteering for IMOM is one of the greatest experiences in my life and I personally will never forget how IMOM and each of IMOM’s donors and supporters went out of their way to help my Angel, a stray dog that I didn’t even know at the time, but that didn’t matter to IMOM, they just knew she needed help.

I have been on both sides of IMOM and to a degree I can see how some of the former PIN's may be upset that IMOM is not able to re-open a case, but I would never judge or make a negative comment unless I knew ALL the facts.  Now that I have been behind the scenes and see what actually takes place before IMOM makes a final decision, I can tell you that their decisions are made after careful review, numerous discussions among the CW and committee and only after the majority of the committee has come to an agreement.  IMOM's decisions are never hasty like some of your comments.  It is extremely sad and hurtful to see how quickly a former PIN forgets their main reason for coming to IMOM and how IMOM went out of their way to help their pet the first time, you should still be grateful that you were given the first opportunity and not expect anything more, especially if you haven't made any additional attempts to help your pet financially.

Edited by Diana C. IMOM, 09 June 2008 - 01:27 AM.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Please help us help our Pets In Need by using this internet SEARCH feature for all your internet searches. To add this feature to your tool bar click here for the FREE download. http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbars.aspx

FemGeek

FemGeek

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 330 posts
Wow!  I feel like I made a wrong turn on the Internet Superhighway, and wound up in alt.flame.

Anyway, some thoughts from a donor:

First, from Jacki:
"You might also take into consideration that the only time IMOM has been slandered in this manner is when we have been unable to help a PIN. That tells me that we are wonderful when we can help, but garbage when we can't?"

IANL (I Ain't No Lawyer) but I guess I don't see where anything Cynthia said qualifies as slander.  She expressed her belief that PART of the reason donations are down, is because donors are "pissed off" that some cases are closed before the pet gets all the help it needs.  While I wouldn't call myself "pissed off" - "discouraged" would be a much better description - I have to admit that I've been very sorry to see that some cases, like Jack and Taffy, were rejected for re-opening when additional surgery was available that could provide a cure, not just a remission (Jack) or save a life (Taffy).  Yes, I understand that:

"For the record, IMOM has never closed a case (except for non-compliance) before raising all funds needed for the veterinary care asked for in the original application and in a written estimate.  We have made exceptions and re-opened cases only when we didn't have a heavy case load and donations were coming in for all of our other PIN kids." (Jacki)

But, right about the same time that Jack and Taffy were declined, another case was re-opened (or maybe it was never closed, but the PIN needed additional surgery and promptly became an active case again).  No, I don't begrudge that PIN the help she needed, nor do I think one animal is more or less worthy of help.  But, when long-term PIN cases are declined, with no explanation from anyone on the Board, I find it discouraging.  As a bit of an aside, I remember the first case I donated to, a few years ago.  IIRC, it was a dog who had been hit my a car and needed surgery.  I donated a substantial (given my income) amount;  $500, IIRC.  The dog got his surgery, and we never heard a thing about how he was doing afterward.  I almost gave up after that;  I had been so heartbroken to read his plight, that I was desperate to hear that he was doing okay.  But...nothing.  Then I started reading other threads, and found a number of former PIN parents who were still here - updating about their pets, and supporting others.  Those people are the reason I stuck around.  To me, they're the best fundraisers IMOM has, even when they're not actively imploring people to donate to the PINs.  Debbie, Jack's mom, is certainly in that category, and it makes no business sense, to me, for Jack's case not to be one of the exceptions that get re-opened - especially given the number of people who expressed the hope that it would be.  Maybe there's some algorithm at work that we mere donors and forum members are not privy to.  Something like "We can only make an exception if we currently have fewer that "x" active PIN cases, need less than "y" amount of money, or have been receiving "x"% of the needed donations every day/week/month/whatever."  Or maybe it was a case of the amount Jack needed being equal to {whatever} number of other, current PINs.  I don't know, but an explanation would have helped...or even a post from someone on the board saying "We really would like to keep helping Jack, but after much discussion, we just don't feel it's feasible right now."  But there was nothing of the sort and, as I said, I find that very discouraging.  Does that discouragement make me stop donating?  No;  the PINs I sponsor every month still need help, and I care about them.  But it does make me feel a bit less enthusiastic, and less inclined to read the forum, which means I'm not as emotionally invested in the current PINs.  And, I'll admit it, it prompted me to donate to Jack's surgery through a non-IMOM-sanctioned site.

Last night, I went through all my IMOM receipts for the year, and found that my donations are about on schedule (based on last year's total).  But the potential amount I can give is down, because I've been donating to other organizations, as well as private fundraising cases like Jack's.  And the main reason I've sought out those means of helping, is discouragement over some of the things here.  Partly the fact that Jack and Taffy's cases couldn't be re-opened, but even more, the tone of some of the discussions on the board.  I was quite put off by all the unpleasantness that flew when Joanna adopted Gidget;  that was when I went back and got much more involved in a couple of other groups I had been letting slide, since I came to IMOM.  And now, seeing all the vicious things being said about Cynthia, I'm almost afraid to post here.  I thoroughly expect to be royally crucified for this post.

At first, I was totally confused about what Cynthia had said that was so terrible.  Then I saw Diana C. IMOM's post about Cynthia "forming a group of pissed off people".  Reading Cynthia's email, I don't see anything that says she formed it, just that it had been formed.  Maybe this is another case where there's more information than the masses are privy to;  the email, as posted, certainly sounds like it was either in response to another message, or may have contained other text which was not quoted.  If either is the case, Jacki, could you give us the whole message (or message to which she was replying) for context?

Even if Cynthia had single-handedly organized this other group, which I don't believe she did, I don't see where that justifies many of the things being said about her.  Celia wrote:

"I know that when Cynthia was first on the Board with CJ, you thought some of us were too hard on her--now you know why. This is the Cynthia that we saw lurking behind the "professional victim and pious, needy long sufferer". Doing what we do for a living, you learn pretty quickly to gauge the bullshit factor and when someone starts telling you what a good person they are, you better start watching your wallet and your underwear."

I went back and re-read (albeit quickly) CJ's thread, from the beginning until about the time he died, and I don't see anything negative being said about her.  On the contrary, most people were praising her for doing so much more to raise funds locally, than most PIN parents would do. The first negative post I found was after she posted the picture and description of the Christmas pageant, and Kim apparently got upset that she was "shoving (her) religion down our throats".  Maybe this was another "behind the scenes" thing to which I'm not privy.  After all, I'm just a small-time donor.  It'll probably take me another year (at my current rate) to even hit the 5-figure mark;  I'll never make it to 6 figures unless I win the lottery...So I don't expect to be "in with the In Crowd".

And that quote from an old thread?  Wow - I'm impressed!  Celia, you must be one HECK of a good psychiatrist, to be able to diagnose her as schizophrenic from that post.  (Somehow I had gotten the idea you were a lawyer, but apparently you're an MD?)  I only saw an attempt to encourage another PIN parent.  But you saw through that and came up with a clinical diagnosis.  No wonder you can afford the mega-donations - your practice must be VERY much in demand.  I tip my nurse's cap to you.

In closing...I remain impressed by the vision of IMOM, the incredibly hard work put in by all the volunteers, and the amount of good that has been accomplished.  (And, frankly, I don't see where Cynthia has said anything that disagreed with me on any of those points.)  But, to a degree, I guess I do fit her description of some of the donors.  No, Jacki, I'm not "pissed off", and I'm not "holding a grudge".  But I do sometimes feel a bit like a "walking wallet", ie, my money is welcome, but not my input.  And I'm very disappointed in the nastiness that sometimes overtakes some of these threads.  And THAT's why I'm not around much;  as I said in Mike's thread, I'm spending a lot of my time (and money) elsewhere.  I'm sorry if that means some PINs aren't getting the funding that I might otherwise have given them, but look on the bright side:  Other needy pets, being funded by other reputable organizations, ARE getting help that I might not have given them, had I been focusing solely on IMOM.  And that's what it's all about, isn't it - helping animals in need?

If this means I should go off with Cynthia's "imaginary little group of malcontents" and "leave (you) the hell alone", okay, fine.  Celia, I'm sure you can easily afford my measly $200/month donation to ongoing PIN cases;  just ask Juli to let me know you've taken over their funding, and I'll disappear.

Roberta

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts
Roberta - this is the whole email.  I'll reply to your comments when I've had time to go through committee list archives to find your answers.  Lots of email to go through so it might take a couple of days.  If I can't find time to got through archives I'll let you know when I can.  With the ecomony what it is, I have taken a job so I'm not around as much as usual.[/size]

Jacki

THis is part of the reason why donations are so low now Jacki : You have been  closing PIN threads funds before they have gotten the full treatment they need.  Your donors are geting pissed off. There has been a group formed with all the  people that are pissed off at the all of a sudden changes.

And by way, I DO mind my account being suspended. Wether you realize it or  not, I have alot of friends still with IMOM and I have been getting emails  stating that they are upset at this.

Cynthia

-----  Original Message ----
To: Cynthia  Philip <sequiaphil@yahoo.ca>
Sent: Friday, June 6, 2008 9:10:01  AM
Subject: Re: Account Suspension Notification ( IMOM Community Home  )

DIV { MARGIN:0px;}   Cynthia,   The rules apply to everyone.  You have been  around IMOM long enough to know that.   Let's take a hypothetical  situation...   CJ is up for life saving fund raising.  At the  same time, a long time community member is taking people away from CJ  to make donations to a pet that hasn't even been approved by IMOM?      You cannot possibly expect me to believe that  wouldn't bother you.  And if it didn't bother you, it would certainly bother me  and I would put a stop to it.   Since you seem to have no objections to this  suspension I will go ahead and delete your membership.   My best to you and your family.   Jacki        
----- Original Message -----  From: Cynthia Philip  To: IMOM Community Home  Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 8:57 AM Subject: Re: Account Suspension  Notification ( IMOM Community Home )
funny  how rules apply to some but not others!  
  Cynthia

To: sequiaphil@yahoo.ca
Sent: Friday,  June 6, 2008 8:29:35 AM
Subject: Account Suspension Notification ( IMOM  Community Home )

Cynthia,

Your member account at IMOM  Community has been temporarily suspended until the Board of Directors makes a  decision on whether or not to give you active status again.

This action  was taken because you have been warned about soliciting donations in our  community for a non-approved pet. Linking to a blog erected for the soul purpose  of fund raising is not permitted.  It's soliciting for donations from IMOM's  Community.

If you have any questions you may write to IMOM at board@imom.org

Jacki Hadra,
IMOM  Founder

Board Address: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts
This thread seems to be headed in the direction of naming names - Jack and Taffy and why their cases were not re-opened.

Jack - IMOM never got the paperwork needed to open the case up for additional fundraising.  We did get a very vague estimate but it wasn't acceptable to prompt more fund raising.  Our policies call for a complete, broken down, written estimate.  Before we got what we needed, fund raising had already started by way of a blog.  We were all happy to see Jack was getting funded since there was really nothing more IMOM could do at that point.  Money in Jack's IMOM fund was used to help pay the bill.

Would we have helped with fund raising had we received a proper estaimate?  Yes, Jack was still an active PIN at IMOM and his newest need was part of his orig. diagnosis.

Taffy - In Feb. (and maybe into March) IMOM raised in excess of $4000 for Taffy.  The money was spent but there was no cure.  Taffy's case was closed.  It wasn't until late May (might have been early June) that Donna contacted IMOM for additional help.  We were asked to approve additional fund raising in the amount of $3800 - $5300.

Meanwhile, donations began to drop like I have never seen them drop.  Pets were not getting funded and more were coming for help.  Also some of our sponsored kids had lost sponsorship.

The committee began to discuss Taffy's case for consideration.  Most committee members expressed a desire to re-open Taffy.  I was not one of those members who wanted to re-open the case.  I'd like to be very clear on that.  There comes a time when IMOM has to say we're sorry but we have done all we can.  We have to give someone else their chance.  And I put on my "bad guy" hat.

I founded IMOM to try and give all pets at least a chance.  IMOM gave Taffy a chance.  Now we had others who were still waiting.  Challenges were being offered to help get their funding.  Challenges were not bringing in what they needed - and still hasn't.  

Are these animals any more important than Taffy.  Absolutely not!  Do they deserve to at least have the same chance we gave Taffy?  They absolutely do.

There is nothing anyone can ever say or do that will change my feelings on this issue.

JeanKBBMMMAA

JeanKBBMMMAA

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,584 posts
I have not been on the forum in a long, long time. Too long! But I do check in on some things-though I feel like I cannot keep up!

I think it is so important for IMOM to be focused on the positive.

I think that when we have been recipients of the good will and donations at IMOM it is very important to try to promote IMOM in a positive way. Have I always been happy with the way things are done here, or anywhere? Certainly not. Unfortunately that does happen when you are someplace-in the virtual or real world-for any length of time. But if I am not happy and there are policies in place, I can look at that information and say okay, that is the way it is, and if it really bothers me, I can work in a positive way and not a reactive way to help make changes if possible. ETA-not that I have ever been so upset as to not come back!

I think that rules are amazing and wonderful things, particularly in the world of the Internet.

When the rules protect people giving money, and provide for a greater number of Pets in Need, they are very important.

There is inherently a lot of emotion here at this site. Desperate people, sick pets, volunteers working so hard can equal some real ups and downs. Great when it is an up but not so hot when it is a down.

So trying to help keep us on an even keel, moderating discussions in an effort to keep them moving forward in making strides toward IMOM's goals and not away from them are all things that can continue to be done to help PINS, while following those rules that I believe have made IMOM the gold standard in the virtual world are contributions we can all afford.

Which leads me to the economy-and it does suck like a Dyson (meaning a lot and it just keeps going and going)! Gas prices, foreclosures, more pets in shelters because of those, unemployment up, vet bills going up, food prices going up---it is not a time for anyone who does not have a well made safety net to be offering money to others-so of course donations are going to go down.

The issue is that if I had money to donate, I would donate to a PIN because I know that the PIN and their parent have been fully screened and I am not giving what I have to a person who has found and will exploit the hearts of gold on this site.

Edited by JeanKBBMMMAA, 09 June 2008 - 09:26 AM.

IPB Image

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,986 posts
I have been reading all the posts and decided I won't get involved...BUT, I just checked in to see how Rusty, the life threatening emergency case was doing...

And I have to sadly say that it looks as if his funds have not been raised yet...but the really sad part is that over 500 people have read the posts about solicity donations...

The purpose of IMOM is top help PETS IN NEED...right now we have a little dog that a family loves...waiting for funds...

perhaps some of the folks that are stopping in to check out the posts on this thread, can stop and read about Rusty...He needs our help and he needs it today. Here for the animals, Judy

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
I would like to add my support to IMOM, Jacki and all the volunteers who keep this wonderful site going.

I am part of a very small non profit group that takes care of a group of over 100 cats. In addition, we all have our own colonies. The amount of time it takes just to co-ordinate the feeding  and care schedule is tremendous. That is just the day to day routine for the cats- making sure that all parts of the route are covered. This is nothing when compared to the time it takes to handle each IMOM case. One of my friends was an IMOM pin and IMOM came through for her on a weekend, providing assistance that kept her baby alive. If not for IMOM- and the volunteers and Angels that give so generously of their time, it would not have happened.

All the volunteers and angels on IMOM continue to help even though many people disappear as soon as they get help and never follow up to let us know that all is well. This is very discouraging, but yet we all stay and help. Why- we do it for the pets.

I am disappointed that someone who received so much help and emotional support chooses to attack the very people and organization that worked so hard to save her pet. I hope that this does not discourage other people from donating.

Right now, I have committed one day's pay each month to help out where I can. I am pleased to be a monthly supporter to two pins and the rest I give when I can.

I know that many people right now are short of funds- donations are down because many are spending a lot more just to survive. I take the bus and I see people I never did before- Also, many people are worried about keeping their jobs. That is the real reason donations are down- this is happening everywhere to all non profit group.s

Jacki and IMOM Volunteers and Angels- Please keep IMOM going. I donate in memory of the kitties I could not save as I did not have the funds and could not find a vet to work with me. I was able to save Ms Jade due to having received a line of credit that I was saving for medical emergency (me)- used it for her instead.

Now, back to trying to help the emergency case.

Kathy

vickyimom

vickyimom

Board of Directors

• 866 posts
Hi Roberta-
I'm a donor too - both my money, and a ton of my time .
No, no flames, but your post made me sad - I got the feeling you think that it's perfectly okay for us as volunteers to bust our butts and go above and beyond to help a pet (read Diana C's post, the pledge we made for CJ was unprecedented, and the work that Cindy did included a personal three figure phone bill, not to mention a ton of her time) - and then get sh*t on, and we should smile and be happy about it? Sorry, that's not me.  And I should be able to say "hey, don't be a jerk, how about just say thanks"  when someone we turned ourselves inside out to help acts like a jerk towards us without anyone thinking I am an ogre. The only acceptable personality is doormat?????  
What I AM happy about is helping pets. I am always happy about helping a pet, even if I am mad/sad that their person is a jerk.      

you wrote:
  Maybe there's some algorithm at work that we mere donors and forum members are not privy to.

It's really pretty simple - we need enough volunteers and enough donations to help pets. We also need the applicants to get us what we need to work with them. (This is harder than you think in many cases). Applicants don't always "tell it like it is" on the forum - one of my cases awhile back kept saying "IMOM won't help me further or reopen my case" - and the reason is, we NEVER (in well over a month) got any paperwork from the vet about anything additional being needed - and I asked on a daily basis.  

you wrote:
I don't know, but an explanation would have helped...or even a post from someone on the board saying "We really would like to keep helping Jack, but after much discussion, we just don't feel it's feasible right now." But there was nothing of the sort and, as I said, I find that very discouraging.

Please know, that we ALWAYS want to help ALL the pets we can. I thought that was kinda implied by the very nature of what we do as volunteers. If not,  then for the record - I always want to help pets, and I am always sorry that we can't help them all. I learned from both rescue and IMOM - that no matter how hard you try, you simply cannot save them all. I find that sad - but I want to keep trying to help or save as many as possible.    

As others have pointed out too, there is a TON of stuff going on that isn't on the forum - the IMOM vols work really hard. Everyone always has the option of writing to the IMOM Board if they have a particular question. When we are trying to help pets, we just don't have the time to hang on the forum and read every post - but we always check the IMOM email. So if you have a question or comment that you would like the Board to address, please write and it will be answered, okay?

I do understand about feeling like a "walking wallet" - some applicants make you feel that way, and I'm sorry. The hard thing about giving so much time (and then getting sh*t on) is you can't make more time. It's part of your life you will never get back. I can work an extra shift and make more dollars. But how do I get that time back, time that could be spent with my own family and furries? Is it really too much to ask for applicants to NOT sh*it on us? "Thanks" or "Great Job" would be nice, but not necessary - I'd settle for not getting crapped on (which usually happens when an applicant is having a temper tantrum and not getting what they want....and they usually know the IMOM policies too, they just don't want the policies to apply to *them*). Jacki said it - we are wonderful when we can help, and garbage when we can't. It's amazing how fast applicants turn :( While the free money (which is not so free - you and all the donors work hard for it) is flowing, IMOM is an amazing life saving wonderful fabulous I'm-so-glad-I found-you place. The minute we cannot help, we are useless and lower than whale poop. I just don't think that is fair.    

Anyway, thank you for your input Roberta, please know everyone is always welcome on the forum. And thank you for helping the PINs too, it is much appreciated.

Vicky/IMOM

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts
QUOTE (vickyimom @ Jun 9 2008, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Roberta-
I'm a donor too - both my money, and a ton of my time .
No, no flames, but your post made me sad - I got the feeling you think that it's perfectly okay for us as volunteers to bust our butts and go above and beyond to help a pet (read Diana C's post, the pledge we made for CJ was unprecedented, and the work that Cindy did included a personal three figure phone bill, not to mention a ton of her time) - and then get sh*t on, and we should smile and be happy about it? Sorry, that's not me.  And I should be able to say "hey, don't be a jerk, how about just say thanks"  when someone we turned ourselves inside out to help acts like a jerk towards us without anyone thinking I am an ogre. The only acceptable personality is doormat?????  
What I AM happy about is helping pets. I am always happy about helping a pet, even if I am mad/sad that their person is a jerk.      

you wrote:
  Maybe there's some algorithm at work that we mere donors and forum members are not privy to.

It's really pretty simple - we need enough volunteers and enough donations to help pets. We also need the applicants to get us what we need to work with them. (This is harder than you think in many cases). Applicants don't always "tell it like it is" on the forum - one of my cases awhile back kept saying "IMOM won't help me further or reopen my case" - and the reason is, we NEVER (in well over a month) got any paperwork from the vet about anything additional being needed - and I asked on a daily basis.  

you wrote:
I don't know, but an explanation would have helped...or even a post from someone on the board saying "We really would like to keep helping Jack, but after much discussion, we just don't feel it's feasible right now." But there was nothing of the sort and, as I said, I find that very discouraging.

Please know, that we ALWAYS want to help ALL the pets we can. I thought that was kinda implied by the very nature of what we do as volunteers. If not,  then for the record - I always want to help pets, and I am always sorry that we can't help them all. I learned from both rescue and IMOM - that no matter how hard you try, you simply cannot save them all. I find that sad - but I want to keep trying to help or save as many as possible.    

As others have pointed out too, there is a TON of stuff going on that isn't on the forum - the IMOM vols work really hard. Everyone always has the option of writing to the IMOM Board if they have a particular question. When we are trying to help pets, we just don't have the time to hang on the forum and read every post - but we always check the IMOM email. So if you have a question or comment that you would like the Board to address, please write and it will be answered, okay?

I do understand about feeling like a "walking wallet" - some applicants make you feel that way, and I'm sorry. The hard thing about giving so much time (and then getting sh*t on) is you can't make more time. It's part of your life you will never get back. I can work an extra shift and make more dollars. But how do I get that time back, time that could be spent with my own family and furries? Is it really too much to ask for applicants to NOT sh*it on us? "Thanks" or "Great Job" would be nice, but not necessary - I'd settle for not getting crapped on (which usually happens when an applicant is having a temper tantrum and not getting what they want....and they usually know the IMOM policies too, they just don't want the policies to apply to *them*). Jacki said it - we are wonderful when we can help, and garbage when we can't. It's amazing how fast applicants turn :( While the free money (which is not so free - you and all the donors work hard for it) is flowing, IMOM is an amazing life saving wonderful fabulous I'm-so-glad-I found-you place. The minute we cannot help, we are useless and lower than whale poop. I just don't think that is fair.    

Anyway, thank you for your input Roberta, please know everyone is always welcome on the forum. And thank you for helping the PINs too, it is much appreciated.

Vicky/IMOM

Thanks, Vic!

Roberta - if all of your questions and concerns re; IMOM have not been answered please let me know.

PS...I too am a donor.  IMOM didn't get started for free.  I paid all operating expenses for the first two years and personally funded the first few PIN kids we had because we had no donors  magicmoon.gif

Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors (A)
  • 448 posts
Judy, Thank you for reminding our supporters about why we really are here - to help the pets that we can help.  Please everyone - IMOM is closed to new applications which means there are so many pets out there who have no hope because there are so few organizations out there who do this.  If we we can just get these guys funded we can open up again.

Cynthia - I don't believe that you have supporters who are so angry with IMOM.  You wish you had that power to organize an I hate IMOM group.  You know why?  Because it's about the pets in need.  It isn't about YOU. What can I say - you're full of it. I don't believe anything you say.  Don't act like you weren't warned.  You blew off your warning and didn't consider the consequences of doing so.  Now live with it.

Taffy - My heart is breaking for Taffy.  Taffy has been suffering for too long.  I will not let Jacki take the heat for this one.  We are a committee and as a committee we made a decision.  It was one that we all agreed on based on the facts we have.  We DID discuss this case.  It isn't as if we just said - oh heck, Taffy's had enough help, we don't care, keep it closed.  Lots of emails went back and forth and our discussions are not open to the public.  Those of you who have been around for a while know that we love these animals and we want to do everything we can to help. We have information that you don't have and isn't up to us to make public.   But feel free to call Taffy's vet and Taffy's mom and pay for the treatment for her.  We did not blow Donna off with no explanation - I sent her very long emails explaining why we could not open Taffy's case back up. Did she pass along my emails to you?  Not that I'm aware of, that's her choice.  But you need to realize that on the forum you are getting one side of a very emotional story.

Why do people donate to PINs at IMOM?  Because they know, YOU KNOW, that we very carefully have reviewed every side of the story we can.  Our policies are tough for a very good reason.  To protect our donors.  And if our donors are protected then they will feel comfortable to continue to donate to other pets in need.   Is it hard to be on your side and not know what goes on behind the scenes?  Feel free to volunteer.  We need help. Walk a mile in our shoes before you point a finger condeming us.  Or take Jacki up on starting a nonprofit to help pets in a way that you feel is best.  We would love to not have this all on our shoulders.  To have pets that will die because we had to close down to new applications.  Ride that wave for a little while and see how fun and rosey this volunteer work is.  We rarely get the big thank you but when we do it sure does keep us going.  We save the thank yous because too often we get bit instead by ungrateful people.  So be it.  We are here to help the pets - not the ungrateful people.

We have experience.  We understand how people are - how they present themselves in one way but might not truly be that way. Sometimes they truly are as they present themselves.  And even in those cases we can't always help.  Our funding is not unlimited.  We can't save them all for the rest of their lives.  It's a cold hard fact that takes years to come to terms with.  Many of our volunteers don't last enough years to get there.  Not many will be able to give enough of their time to keep up with volunteering at IMOM.  We're giving the best we can. I hope our donors trust us to know what we're doing.  And to feel comfortable asking - sometimes we can give more information but we're so busy we failed to let you know what's going on.  So ask. Or volunteer YOUR time.

I donate to IMOM PINs as well as volunteer my time. I know that IMOM takes a good look at PINs - first with our hearts.  Then we look harder - with our heads.  Then we dig a little deaper. I am proud to donate to IMOM knowing that my donations are well spent.

Please see our pets in need guys - I know times are tough right now.  But every dollar helps. 500 readers to this post - could have been $5,000 if you paid $10 for every time you came to this page to read about IMOM volunteers being bashed.
Sarah/IMOM Board of Directors

Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors (A)
  • 448 posts
I'm sorry if that means some PINs aren't getting the funding that I might otherwise have given them, but look on the bright side: Other needy pets, being funded by other reputable organizations, ARE getting help that I might not have given them, had I been focusing solely on IMOM. And that's what it's all about, isn't it - helping animals in need?

Roberta

Yes Roberta - that IS what it's about.  IMOM isn't in competition with other organizations.  We wish there were more and are glad that you are continuing to help pets in any fashion.  

What IMOM can't do - is let our donors think is that we have reviewed the policies in place of these other groups or people.  So we don't want links on our forum to them - which implies they have our support.  (The Magic Bullet Fund is an exception - we do support donations to MBF and have reviewed their policies and proedures).  We can only say that we have thoroughly checked our applicants.  And that the money you send to us will go directly to a vet and not a pet parent who is telling you the money is going to pay vet bills when really it's going to pay for their shopping spree. Some groups are on the up and up and some aren't.  Just know that IMOM is audited every year and we have to prove that our money goes to where we say it's going. It's up to you to decide if you feel your money is going where you expect it to go when making a donation anywhere.  And if you feel it is and you are out there helping other pets in need - through IMOM or otherwise - good for you!  And Thank you!
Sarah/IMOM Board of Directors

MikesMom

MikesMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,606 posts
Ok... not that anyone will care what I have to say, but I'm going to say it here anyway. I know I am NOT a favorite of Jacki and some of the volunteers, but that fact has never stopped me from being extremely grateful to IMOM for Mike's life (which, by the way is coming to an end very soon). Without IMOM, the Angels and volunteers, Mike would have left me months ago. As it is, I have been blessed to have him these additional months... and I DO THANK YOU.. ALL OF YOU.  Even after Mike's thread was closed due to our disagreement (which I still think would have blown over) I have remained to support as many as I can here on the threads.  I have found some wonderful friends here.

As far as all this pettiness going on... going back to what was quoted by Jacki that Cynthia wrote:

"THis is part of the reason why donations are so low now Jacki : You have been closing PIN threads funds before they have gotten the full treatment they need. Your donors are geting pissed off. There has been a group formed with all the people that are pissed off at the all of a sudden changes.

And by way, I DO mind my account being suspended. Wether you realize it or not, I have alot of friends still with IMOM and I have been getting emails stating that they are upset at this.

Cynthia"

I'm wondering exactly what she said here that was so slanderous. She never said one word bashing the volunteers OR IMOM. It sounds to me that she just wanted to stay on and be the support she's been to others.... and if you go back to read any of her posts, you will see that she has always praised IMOM and the volunteers. If you don't believe me... go to the beginning pages of many of the "newer" pins and see if she ever said anything bad about anyone.

My thoughts (and mind you they are "my" thoughts and probably will get trampled on after I post this) are that many of the comments here have been nasty and vindictive and attacking Cynthia for doing nothing more than stating her opinion as to why donations are down and her being upset for not being able to be supportive anymore of the people she has become friends with. Everyone knows the economy sucks, so what's the big deal?  And... ok.. she posted a link to Benji's blog, and her membership has been revoked.. it's done... let it rest.

Jacki has done a marvelous thing with IMOM, and I know how hard the volunteers work. Jacki and I spoke one day when I was considering becoming a volunteer and probably would have followed through with it had things not turned out the way they had with Mike's thread (and even after that happened I was thinking about contacting her and asking her about possibly volunteering). At that time, she explained to me how many hours, tears and heartbreaks are involved in volunteering.  It is... a very difficult job both physically and emotionally.

However (and Jacki I know you will be pissed about this), I believe Jacki did a disservice to IMOM in posting what was meant to be a private e-mail.  She has opened up a can of worms that has been getting away with a vengeance.  There was no need to post this... and, sadly, I believe that people who are reading it have long since bypassed the e-mail from Cynthia and are only reading the negatives that have been posted by IMOM's own.  You guys are bashing yourselves.  No one has said anything bad about IMOM or the volunteers.  I just don't understand all this childish banter.  This puts me in the mind of Cynthia being the mosquito bite and you guys scratching it until it's become raw, but yet you can't stop scratching.  It seems as though you are fighting amongst yourselves... and some of you have shown your true colors spewing foul language and nasty comments against a woman who never said one bad word.  And for someone to call her hypocritical, schizophrenic and mean when there was absolutely nothing to substantiate those words just shows me the personality of the person who spewed them out.  I'm sure she didn't really mean it now.. did she?

Ok... so that's it for me. I expect retaliation.  I hope I'm wrong... but I expect it. You don't have to tell me that I was one of those who didn't deserve help with Mike and scammed IMOM.. I've already been told that, and it won't hurt me to hear it again... I know better.

To re-iterate... you guys are fighting among yourselves.  No one is calling names, swearing at you or bashing anyone... you're doing it to yourselves. Oh.. and as far as a the imaginary little group of malcontents... who cares if they're out there? Are they hurting anyone?

Within the heart of every stray
Lies the singular desire to be loved.

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
I'm sorry that Cynthia lashed out.  I have no idea of the history behind her feeling this way. And, I don't care.  

I'm sorry that Jackie felt the need to respond at all.  

Just becomes a person feels attacked is no reason to respond in kind.  

I wish everyone would just take their fingers on their keyboards while emotions are running high and get back to the spirit and mission of IMOM.  

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts
Joanna,

I posted Cynthia's email because I have been around long enough to know it's very easy to only share a portion of an email with others.  I wanted to make certain my entire reply to her could be read.  Not just portions she might choose to forward to you and her other friends.

You and I both know there have been a flurry of emails circulating about this issue.  Neither of us is totally stupid.  And...you cannot always trust the people you confide in.  Emails you think are private aren't always private.

If you read the entire email thread re; Cynthia, you will see that it's about her solicting donations for Benji.   My reply had nothing to do with anything other than that.  Her membership was closed after she blatantly added her blog sig. AFTER I had removed it and told her to stop.

She then proceeds to tell me it's partially my fault for the drop in donations?  You don't expect me to react to that?  I'm sorry but when someone blames me personally I need to set the record straight.  If she blames me in an email she sends to me - what do you think she is saying to anyone else who will listen? It will be a cold day in hell when I do not speak up for myself and for IMOM.  Do you know how quickly an org. can be forced to close when people start bad mouthing the Founder?

"Oh.. and as far as a the imaginary little group of malcontents... who cares if they're out there"?

I do when IMOM is getting bashed.

"Are they hurting anyone"?

Yes.  IMOM vols. and future PIN kids.  Not to mention our sponsored pets who rely on IMOM to keep their babies as healthy and well as possible.

I will fight for IMOM and protect it's reputation for as long as I am physically able.  No one is going to bring down what we have all worked so hard to accomplish.  No one.

Diana S

Diana S

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 487 posts
QUOTE (Jacki IMOM @ Jun 9 2008, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Joanna,

I posted Cynthia's email because I have been around long enough to know it's very easy to only share a portion of an email with others.  I wanted to make certain my entire reply to her could be read.  Not just portions she might choose to forward to you and her other friends.

You and I both know there have been a flurry of emails circulating about this issue.  Neither of us is totally stupid.  And...you cannot always trust the people you confide in.  Emails you think are private aren't always private.

If you read the entire email thread re; Cynthia, you will see that it's about her solicting donations for Benji.   My reply had nothing to do with anything other than that.  Her membership was closed after she blatantly added her blog sig. AFTER I had removed it and told her to stop.

She then proceeds to tell me it's partially my fault for the drop in donations?  You don't expect me to react to that?  I'm sorry but when someone blames me personally I need to set the record straight.  If she blames me in an email she sends to me - what do you think she is saying to anyone else who will listen? It will be a cold day in hell when I do not speak up for myself and for IMOM.  Do you know how quickly an org. can be forced to close when people start bad mouthing the Founder?

"Oh.. and as far as a the imaginary little group of malcontents... who cares if they're out there"?

I do when IMOM is getting bashed.

"Are they hurting anyone"?

Yes.  IMOM vols. and future PIN kids.  Not to mention our sponsored pets who rely on IMOM to keep their babies as healthy and well as possible.

I will fight for IMOM and protect it's reputation for as long as I am physically able.  No one is going to bring down what we have all worked so hard to accomplish.  No one.

As most of you know, I have not been an active volunteer for almost two years now.  I had a crisis in my family, and have spent a long time dealing with it.  I miss being an active caseworker - and the warm fuzzy feelings you get when you are able to save a PIN.  I don't miss the "abuse".  It's sad that some of you who are writing think that we are bashing ourselves, and don't see that the following is VERY hurtful.

"THis is part of the reason why donations are so low now Jacki : You have been closing PIN threads funds before they have gotten the full treatment they need. Your donors are geting pissed off. There has been a group formed with all the people that are pissed off at the all of a sudden changes."

No case has ever been closed without many many emails, soul searching, etc.  It is NEVER easy to close a case for any reason - even when it is the obvious reason that the owner is not posting the minimum requirements.  Sad that there even have to be "minimum requirements" for posting.  

If anyone reads our financial aid pages, you will see MANY rules and procedures.  For those of you who have been around for a long time, you will notice many changes.  It is much harder to get approved to be a PIN now, than it was 7 or 8 years ago.  Why all the rules and procedures?  For all the times that there have been problems with a PIN or PIN parent.  IMOM is evolving - and probably always will.  When my TC was a PIN, there was no minimum requirement for posting - but who would ever think that a PIN parent wouldn't want to post every day??  Like I said, SAD.  Who would ever think that people would lie about their income?  Who would ever think that a person who had received financial help from IMOM (whether it was for less than a hundred dollars or for a few thousand dollars) wouldn't be grateful for it - and would demand more.  Who would ever think that some applicants didn't thank the donors?  Who would ever think that some applicants would resort to name calling and bashing?  I saw a lot in my time as a volunteer.  I see a lot of the same at the low-cost spay neuter clinic I work at now.  To be called a f-ing c-word for insisting to an owner that they place their cat in a carrier was astounding.  

Jacki - thank you for always being supportive of your volunteers - and for always defending IMOM.  This may not seem like such a big deal to some people, but once a non-profit org has negative publicity, it's hard to recover.  The only thing donors have to rely on, is our reputation.  If we don't defend our reputation, we won't get any new donors, and who does that hurt but future PINs.  IMOM's reputation must always be impecable.

And now lets get back to helping those PINs still in need.

Edited by Diana S, 09 June 2008 - 04:51 PM.

Diana S

vickyimom

vickyimom

Board of Directors

• 866 posts
Joanna wrote:
Ok... so that's it for me. I expect retaliation. I hope I'm wrong... but I expect it. You don't have to tell me that I was one of those who didn't deserve help with Mike and scammed IMOM.. I've already been told that, and it won't hurt me to hear it again... I know better.

To re-iterate... you guys are fighting among yourselves. No one is calling names, swearing at you or bashing anyone... you're doing it to yourselves. Oh.. and as far as a the imaginary little group of malcontents... who cares if they're out there? Are they hurting anyone?

Joanna, no flames here. And you know that IMOM worked hard to help give you extra time with Mike, thank you for acknowledging we did  - that is what IMOM is about, helping people help their pets. I am happy for all the time you and Mike have together.  We all at IMOM have pets of our own and know how precious that time is.....which is why when we give up that time to help a total stranger, it hurts to get nasty-grams from them.

I personally find this statement of Cynthia's offensive:

"THis is part of the reason why donations are so low now Jacki : You have been closing PIN threads funds before they have gotten the full treatment they need. Your donors are geting pissed off. There has been a group formed with all the people that are pissed off at the all of a sudden changes."

It has a VERY accusatory and threatening tone to me. And it's also untrue (which could also be called lying) - read Jacki's reply about it. IMOM does NOT close cases (other than for noncomplaince) - and at that, caseworkers beg plead and cajole to try to get applicants to comply before ultimately and sadly closing cases. And what are all the "sudden changes"? They don't exist. Our policies have evolved over a DECADE, true. I would hardly call that "all the sudden changes".

No one at IMOM is fighting, but IMOM volunteers do get tired of getting accusatory and threatening emails when all we want to do is help other peoples pets and we work real hard to do just that.
How nice it would have been if Cynthia's email would have said
"Thank you so much for helping CJ. With the ecomony so bad and donations down, I wish I could do more to help other people get the donations for their babies that I got for mine".  Doesn't that sound alot better than the nasty one she sent instead???
It sure does to me.

Vicky/IMOM

Guest_`Randa IMOM_*

Guest_`Randa IMOM_*
  • Guests
Good afternoon, everyone,

I've been reading this thread today, and have seen responses from a  goodly cross-section of the IMOM community - clients and former  clients, Angels and Donors, IMOM volunteers, and IMOM supporters. What  a lot of us there are!

I've been attached to IMOM as a blogger (Mr. Bear Says Hello!), and as  a client. As a client, I'm still astounded at the generosity and  outpouring of affection and concern I experienced. You all literally  saved Mr. Bear's life, and supported me with your good thoughts and  good wishes when he was recovering from what was a life-altering  change. Now I call him my Kinky Transexual Kitty Bear, since his  surgery was that which reduced his urethra, essencially changing his  outward gender. He's well and happy, not to mention adventurous and  playful, thanks to you. He improves and catches up every day. While  this change was slow, he's now at the point where a 4 year old cat  should be: playful, resting comfortably, affectionate, and active.  Thank you all, once again.

I was recently allowed to come into IMOM as a volunteer. Training was  pretty intense, and incredibly eye-opening. Some of our volunteers have  been at it for ten years, and yet they are still graceful under fire,  compassionate, patient, and supportive.

So, the big question seems to be, what goes on behind the scenes? Well,  I'm new, and willing to take a spanking for tattling, so I'll tell you.

The first thing we usually see with a case is an inquiry from the site,  which tells us the client name, pet name, and some little bit about the  pet's condition. If the client follows directions, we then see a lot of  faxed paperwork, which includes bank statements, tax returns, detailed  description by the client of the pet's condition and why they need  financial help at this time. We also see, again, if the client has  followed directions, an estimate from the vet, which describes the  condition, and breaks down each expense, sometimes with the most urgent  being highlighted. (Jacki, do I get the spanking yet?)

If the client hasn't bothered to read the directions, they send in the  initial inquiry several times, expecting a worker to walk them through  each and every step, or even to call them and walk them through it over  the phone. Often, we receive the same initial inquiry, ver batim, as  the info was cut and pasted from one email to the next. If they  actually go back and read the information, some clients have to be  given a numbered checklist of things to do, all of which is stated on  the website. Some have to be sent this checklist many times in order to  get the required items to us, and the volunteers have to cull away each  step as it's accomplished, then resend the list. At each stage, the  client is reminded that it's required they stay in touch with us, by  email, at least every 24 hours, and that all emails from us must be  answered within 24 hours. Many don't get this, and even scold our  volunteers for reminding them. Some are insulted at the reminders..  48-72 hours after their last email to us.

At this point, we also find that some of our clients have to shop  around for a new vet, as their vet doesn't want to work with IMOM for  one reason or another. I had this same thing happen during my  application, and I can tell you it's the most disheartening thing to be  told by a vet that their money up front is more important than the  health of the pet.

If I haven't qualified for the spanking yet, this is sure to do it!

Once the paperwork and the actual application has gone through, the  caseworker reviews the case file again, and makes sure all paperwork is  in. If something needs to be clarified, the volunteer tries to get the  info at this time, either by email with the client, by phone or fax to  the vet, etc. The committee then reviews it, and, based on our funds  available, among other things, a thread is added to the proper forum,  and the client, who should have been posting in the Introductions forum  by this time, is moved to the financial aid forum, where they are  required to post at least once every three days. Yes, you read that  right, every three days. We try to remind clients to post every day, as  many times as they can, since the donors like to know how the pet is  doing, how the client is doing, how things are going with the vet, and,  like everyone else, they like to be thanked for their efforts and  generosity.

Now comes the real weirdness. Some people resent having to post to the  forums, and turn very nasty when told to post. Some have an amazing  sense of entitlement, and think the volunteers should be doing all the  work, posting for them, etc. Some scold us for reminding them that they  have to be active in helping to raise funds for their pets. Some simply  disappear.

And then, there are the people that it just wrenches our hearts to have  to turn down. People who have had service from IMOM in the past, who  are coming back to us again with the same desperation that drove them  to us in the first place. Some are outraged when we follow our own  rules about only being able to fund a pet once. Some are outraged that  they have to apply again, if we decide to break our rules and try to  find funding for a second time.  But, the most heartbreaking cases are  those when we have to stop the process because they didn't apply, didn't  communicate with us or their thread for funding, or because they've  become abusive with us. In one case, I saw that the worker wrote over  100 emails, begging the client to post, answer an email, anything. The  client had just disapeared. The worker had to close the case for  non-compliance after putting in hours, sometimes hundreds of hours, on  a case, and is now devastated for the pet. Sometimes when a volunteer  has to go through that, we don't see a post from them for several days,  as they have to recover from the emotional bomb they just took.

Sometimes, we hear from the vet that the case is pretty hopeless, with  or without treatment, or that they've been trying to tell the client  that it's time to let go, but that the client isn't hearing it, or  ready to hear it. We cannot advise the client on treatment or nontreatment, or even mention "other" options, we are not vets, or veterinary personnel. We're just volunteers. We've never met each other in real life, we've never met you, at least not for most of us. Sometimes, in the committee, we all just have a  collective electronic hug'n'cry together.

So, there you have it. Jacki isn't the only one making decisions, but  she gets more than her share of flame email, because she's the director  here. Jacki, most often, doesn't even make the first suggestion of  closing a case, for noncompliance or whatever reason, but she's often  the one to get blamed.

If blame has to be assigned, let's make sure it's properly assigned,  and not set on IMOM's shoulders because a disgruntled client doesn't  want to comply with our policies, which, by the way, are all clearly  stated.

Again, thank you to all of you, and brightest blessings,

`Randa

TigresMeow

TigresMeow

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 669 posts
I started the volunteer process but had to stop because of family issues.  Everything 'Randa says is correct.  Volunteers can go from extreme joy to heartbreaking sadness in a 24 hour period, sometimes even less.

I hope Jacki doesn't spank too hard.
Kat n her K9 Crew
-Katie, Corree, Stormy, Dakota Rose, Maggie, Belle, Kiwi, Lola and Coco Puff
-and 3 special Sheltie Angels...Sable, Megan and Lacey Jane
-and 2 special Chihuahua Angels.....Callie (Chunky Monkey) and little Peanut and 1 special Pittie angel....Dixie Doo

Posted Image

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts
Thank you all for your comments.  magicmoon.gif

Cynthia chose not to reply in this thread.  Instead, she tried to re-join the community hiding behind a new screen name and email address.  She has been banned again.

closed.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users