Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Reece Teague, diabetic Yorkie - fully sponsored!

• Please log in to reply
1801 replies to this topic

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 3,567 posts
Diagnosis: Diabetes
Total amount needed per month to sponsor: $45
Currently sponsored for: $45
Still needed: $0 - Reece is fully sponsored
Neutered: Yes
Volunteer case worker: Tracy

Update 3/28/13: Reece is now fully sponsored! HOORAY!!! :) Thank you, IMOM angels!!! This is such wonderful news, and so appreciated.

Update 3/21/13: Reece has another $10 a month in sponsorships :) Thank you to the angel who has signed up to sponsor Reece! :claphands:

Update 3/18/13: Reece's monthly needs have recently changed. He now needs a box of syringes  and a vial of insulin from IMOM every other month (he needs a new vial of insulin once a month but his family is able to pay for it every other month.) The cost broken down per month, including shipping, is $45. Reece is currently sponsored for $15. To get to fully sponsored, Reece currently needs another $30 per month.

If you are able to help sponsor Reece, please go to http://imom.org/donation/#sponsor You can sponsor him for all or any part of the amount needed. One-time donations are also welcome, as always. They can be made at http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd To use PayPal, designate paypal@imom.org or to increase your current donation email treasurer@imom.org. Please indicate Reece Teague on all donations.

Thank you, angels, for considering helping Reece!

Sweet little Reece is only 2 years old. However, due to reoccurring pancreatitis, he now has diabetes. He is an absolutely adorable Yorkie. Here is what his Dad says about him:

QUOTE Reece has always been full of life and spunk, and of course a very special part of our family. When he developed the diabetes as a result of a severe pancreatic attack, we were devestated, confused and wasn't sure what kind of life he would have. It broke! our hearts to think of having to give him daily injections. When he showed us his stength and courage to get through this, we were inspired and knew we had to do everything we could to keep him healthy.

His family lives on a Social Security income and is unable to afford more than $50 per month. Reece's diabetic needs are $175/mo. Therefore, IMOM is attempting to find one or more sponsor(s) to contribute the additional $125/mo.

Please read his story and see his adorable picture here: http://imom.org/pin/...eece-teague.htm

If youwould like to sponsor Reece, a monthly sponsorship can be set up at http://www.imom.org/...ion/monthly.htm One-time donations are always welcome and can be made at http://www.imom.org/donation/
Please indicate DPF - Reece Teague on all donations

His Dad has been great to work with so far, and it's apparent how much this little fluffy baby means to his family. Please help us help Reece and his family have many more happy times together.

Thank you, angels, for considering helping Reece.

Sincerely,
Tracy/IMOM

Edited by Tracy IMOM, 28 March 2013 - 08:53 PM.
sponsorship needs change

MikesMom

MikesMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,607 posts
Welcome to IMOM... this is the place where Magic and Angels make Miracles.  My name is Joanna, and I am owned by a wonderful Westie, Mike.  Mike has been a PIN here at IMOM, and I can't tell you how much everyone here has meant to us.  If not for IMOM, Mike may not be with me right now.

Unfortunately, I (too) am living on SS disability and am unable to help financially, but we'll be here to keep watch and send out good thoughts for that little guy.  Reece is absolutely adorable. I pray he will get fully sponsored soon.  Our prayers are with you.

Within the heart of every stray
Lies the singular desire to be loved.

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Thank you my friends.
Tracy you are an angel, as are all the volunteers at IMOM! What a blessing it is to have the opportunity to get Reece the help he needs!
It is very nice to meet you and Mike as well, Joanna! I look forward to getting to know more about you and his condition as well. So glad that you were able to get assistance here!
Thank you all so much,
Jason & Reece

Posted Image

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Jason, I'm so happy to see you and Reece here. Reece is such an adorable boy, and I'm so pleased that his case has been accepted for sponsorship.

Angels, if you haven't already, I hope you'll stop by Reece's PIN page to find out more about this cutie pie.

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Thank you Laurie! You gave us step by step help to get us started, we sure wouldn't be here without your help!!! Reece sends you puppy hugs and a big yorkie kiss!
Jason

Posted Image

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Hi Jason,

Oh, I love that adorable picture of Reecey on the tractor! How cute is that! Everytime I look at Reece's pictures, I just want to pick him up and smother him with kisses. He is so cute!

I'm so glad you found us so we can help you and Reece. You'll find a lot of support here as well as the opportunity to fuindraise for financial aid. Pet diabetes can be a scary diagnosis, but support from others really helped me out with my 2 diabetic kitties.

hugs.gif

Tracy heart.gif  stripekitty.gif

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Oh Tracy, I will give him your hugs and kisses for you! Haha! We are very close he is my boy I tell ya, my shadow!
You just dont know how glad we are to have found you guys. Was talking today to my wife, Tammy, telling her how thankful we were to find IMOM. Not just the financial support, but the friendships and social support here. It is wonderful! I will have to find a photo and share a family picture!
Jason

Posted Image

Leslie B.

Leslie B.

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 400 posts
WELCOMEPHOTO.gif Jason, Tammy, and Reece!  What a cute little guy Reece is!!!!!!!!  I'm so sorry he has had to deal with serious health issues, especially at such a young age, but he seems to have picked the right parents to help him out.  I look forward to hearing more about him and to watching him thrive!

Leslie  whitekitty.gif

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Good day friends! We are having a great day here--Reece has been feeling well, that always makes the day go easier! We are hoping his little pancreas is healing.
So sweet of you to say about our little man. Yes, he is very young--he is such a fighter. When he was first diagnosed the doctor did not understand how he was still standing at levels over 600! He lets us check his sugar 4 times a day and his injections without a whimper. The vet is always amazed at how good he is! We love him, and he is a special baby!
Jason

Posted Image

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Hi Jason and Reece,

Oh, that's great to hear that Reece has been feeling well. He does sound like a tough little cookie. When my first diabetic kitty, Orion, was diagnosed, my vet was surprised that he wasn't outwardly sicker than he was, with such high blood sugar levels.

Aww, Reece sounds like such a sweetie. Such a good boy he is with his tests and injections! Lots more hugs and kisses are being sent his way, and I would love to see a family photo.

Tracy  heart.gif  stripekitty.gif

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Hi Tracy, hope you are having a great day! Here you are a picture of me and my wife, Tammy

Here is another photo of Reece with his sister, Precious a three year old shih tzu:

I will follow with some baby photos of our boy!
Jason

Posted Image

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Some photos of Reece from baby to present (he just turned "2" on the 5th)

This photo below is Reece to a "T"...his truly spitfire personality seen here

"Attack mode" hehe! and 100% clown!
more to follow...

Posted Image

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Here we are his first snow...

Jason & Reece

Posted Image

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
His boo-boo, where he had to be catherized and hospitalized after the severe bouts of pancreatitis....the diabetic diagnosis followed :(

But here he is, we are working to keep him healthy and happy--and are going to be able to do it with the help of Tracy, IMOM and IMOM sponsors!

Jason & Reece

Posted Image

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Oh my gosh! What great pictures! Jason, the one of you and Tammy is nice. And the Reece pics are too cute for words. Those baby photos! Awww!!! I love the one with his head in the slipper! That's hilarious. Thanks for sharing the pics, they are great!

Tracy  heart.gif  stripekitty.gif

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Jason, all of the photos are wonderful -- but I just about lost it when I saw Reece's adorable baby photos. Those have got to be just about the cutest photos I've ever seen! WHAT A CUTIE!

My husband Larry just looked at the photos and said "I think that's the cutest puppy I've ever seen."

Thank you so much for sharing the photos with us.

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Awww thanks ladies. You are all so sweet! Reece is a special boy for sure, he is laying in my lap sleeping this morning while I visit with you all. Has anyone ever noticed that after giving the insulin, that it makes them tired? Seems like it makes him tired anyway. His sugar was high this morning, 240.
Hope everyone has a good day today!
Jason

Posted Image

Lora

Lora

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 672 posts
Hi Jason, Tammy & Reece,

WELCOMEPHOTO.gif   I just discovered IMOM and have been here maybe 6 weeks so I am still new to all this.  I am on SSI also and understand the difficulty of wanting to do everything you can for your baby but find that $600 a month doesn't allow it.  Mr. Wiggles also had 2 bouts of pancreatitis and it took a while for his levels to come down.  This is when they also discovered Mr. Wiggles had Cushing's disease as well.  I don't know if Reece has been tested but if he has it it can make the Diabetes more difficult to regulate.  His pictures are just adorable, especially the baby pictures and the first one sent.  My daughter has always wanted a Yorkie.  Anyway, I just wanted to welcome you to IMOM and to let you know my thoughts and prayers are with you all.  luck.gif  Good luck to you in your fundraising efforts.

Angel15.gif  IMOM angels, please help baby Reece get his miracle.  He is really loved by his family and could really use your help.  thanks3.gif

Lora & Mr. Wiggles  pp_animal_564.gif
:hugs:
Lora & Mr. Wiggles :pp_animal_564:

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Good Friday Lora. Thank you for your post. No, not that I am aware of--has he been tested for Cushings. I am concerned now that perhaps I should. Can you tell me more about what promoted you to ask for the test? How long did it take for the levels to come back down? Reeces' sugar levels run about 230 of the morning, I give 6 units of Vetsulin and then check about 3-4 more times throughout the day. He had a high day, day before yesterday.  I Certainly can relate about the SS income. Jason has developmental disabilities and mine are physical. We make 657.00 a month. I cannot tell you how many times these last few months (December was especially difficult). Then we found IMOM. Just yesterday, we recieved a package of love, a bottle of test strips--we simply could not have afforded at $62.00!!
Our lives are consumed with worry about how we can financially provide for him. So sweet of you to comment about our baby boy! Thanks again for the information about Mr. Wiggles! We try to keep check on him as well!
Tammy

Posted Image

Lora

Lora

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 672 posts
QUOTE (jayman72365 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good Friday Lora. Thank you for your post. No, not that I am aware of--has he been tested for Cushings. I am concerned now that perhaps I should. Can you tell me more about what promoted you to ask for the test? How long did it take for the levels to come back down? Reeces' sugar levels run about 230 of the morning, I give 6 units of Vetsulin and then check about 3-4 more times throughout the day. He had a high day, day before yesterday. I Certainly can relate about the SS income. Jason has developmental disabilities and mine are physical. We make 657.00 a month. I cannot tell you how many times these last few months (December was especially difficult). Then we found IMOM. Just yesterday, we recieved a package of love, a bottle of test strips--we simply could not have afforded at $62.00!!
Our lives are consumed with worry about how we can financially provide for him. So sweet of you to comment about our baby boy! Thanks again for the information about Mr. Wiggles! We try to keep check on him as well!
Tammy

Lora

Lora

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 672 posts
Hello Jason, Tammy & Reece!

I hope things are going well for you all.  Mr. Wiggles got really sick and was drinking a lot, not eating, breathing funny and just laying around.  When we took him in to the vet they ran tests.  His glucose level was at 600 or more, his pancreatic enzymes were through the roof, the doctor said they were the highest she had ever seen, his urine test showed he was in diabetic ketoacidosis.  The vet said she wanted to test him for Cushing's disease because if he had it and it was not treated, she would have a harder time regulating his diabetes.  The first test showed he had Cushing's.  After that they had to do another test to determine the type.  Most of the times (80%) it is pituitary in nature and they can put them on medicine.  The other type is not treatable with medication.  I don't remember how long it took for his pancreatic enzyme levels to come down but the vet said it was no need in retesting it right away because it would take a while to come down.  Mr. Wiggles is also on Vetsulin (5 units) twice a day.  I noticed you were doing home testing for Reece's glucose level, what type of glucometer do you use and where do you test at?  I ( and the vet ) have not been able to get a big enough sample to test.  Please give Reece a bunch of pets and kisses from us.

Lora   pp_animal_564.gif

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Lora, Reece's levels were also that high when we took him in for a diagnosis. The vet ran tests but I do not have any idea if that was included or not, we hopitalized him for 4 days and then took him daily until we made sure we were regulated. He just gets the one injection a day, and seems to be doing ok--I have noticed a schedule that works for us, the Vetsulin peeks within 4 hours (one part--it contains 2 parts) so I have to make sure he eats again at that time as it will fall into the 30's--which is low.
About the testing, my vet was kind enough to loan me a meter, a Alpha Trak. It is coded for dogs and cats. It takes the smallest amount of blood and I test in the ear. Let me tell you I know the pains of not being able to get enough blood. Let me share with you a trick I found!!

What meter are you using by the way, are you testing at home?

I put Reece up on our couch with me and I pet him and try to make him relax. Then after he is all relaxed I take a hot (wet) (not scalding) wash cloth and massage his ear with it, compressing it to help get the blood flowing.  Since I started doing this step, I have not had a problem getting enough blood out of the ear! YA! Give it a try, I bet it will help you also! Keep me posted and let me know ok?
Have a blessed day,
Tammy

Posted Image

zoom mom

zoom mom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
dog2.gif

Hi Jason & Tammy-

Welcome to you & Reece to IMOM.  Zoom is a diabetic poodle that I almost lost to complications  with pancreatitis ....will be 2 years ago next month.  Gosh, can't believe that.....anyway, Reece & other pooch look adorable.....hang in there, I know all of this can be daunting....I too am on disability.... If it weren't for IMOM,  and Zoom's sponsors, and angels,  Zoom would not be here today!  We had a heck of a time getting her regulated in the beginning  ....couldn't keep any food down at all...., but as I'm sure you've found our furry family are quite strong....    Will keep you all in my prayers .....hope Reece is doing better.  Until next time..

hugs.gif

Susan & Zoom

Lora

Lora

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 672 posts
Tammy,

That's a great idea about the warm compress.  I don't know why I didn't think of that!  I worked as a Lab Tech years ago and with infants and small children I used a warming pad you bent to release the chemicals.  After the parents held it on for a little while I didn't have any problems getting a sample from a finger or heel stick.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  It seems like when you are dealing with things on a more personal level, your brain just don't work right.  I'm anxious to give it a try.  I have a One Touch Ultra that I use for myself.  It doesn't require a lot of blood either but it needs to be a drop, not smeared blood.  I'll keep Reece and you guys in my prayers.  Hopefully you will find some sponsors soon.

Lora & Mr. Wiggles   pp_animal_564.gif

MikesMom

MikesMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,607 posts
OH MY GOSH!!! WHAT GREAT PICTURES!!!  How in the world did you get Reece and Precious to pose so beautifully together?  It looks like Reece is quite the ham... every picture he takes is perfect. He's really the star isn't he? cool.gif

Praying Reece gets funded soon.

Within the heart of every stray
Lies the singular desire to be loved.

Lora

Lora

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 672 posts
Hi Jason, Tammy & Reece,

Thank you so much for the web address for the free meter.  It is very similar to the one I already have but I sent for it this morning.  Also, the strips I have fit the new machine as well.  I hope you are doing well.  Keep me posted on Reece's progress.  He is adorable!  Mr. Wiggles sends kisses your way to Reece.

Lora & Mr. Wiggles

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Thank you Mikes Mom! Yes he has such life and spunk, he is just a show stopper, and captures everyones heart. I think that is why it is so hard for me to see him feel so bad. He is so young, and all his health problems. We cannot bare to let him suffer sad.gif

My shih tzu, she is a year older than him, but they are quite the pair. He counts on her and truly she is his big "sis". He will stand behind her like ya you gotta go through her first! It tickles us.

The babies are our life, we have no children--I hope that we can keep Reece in his needed supplies and be able to see the vet when it is time. I sure do appreciate IMOM helping us these first 2 months till we can find a sponsor. They are just so wonderful, words cannot express it!

Lora you are welcome for the information on that meter, hope it helps that and the tip on the warm compress. Have you tried it yet??

Reece sends a return of yorkie kisses (I am bias but they are pretty sweet he is a generous kisser hehe!)
brownpup.gif

hugs.gif
Jason, Tammy & Reece

Posted Image

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Hello friends, just a quick update on Reece.
We will go to turn in his glucose readings tommorrow. Our concern is it has been running quite high by 8 p.m., tonight it was 412. I will try to let you know how things go. The vet told me just to run the readings by and he would look them over. Will be able to ask him if we need to make adjustments.
hugs.gif
Jason, Tammy & Reece

Posted Image

Lora

Lora

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 672 posts
Jason, Tammy & Reece,

It sounds like baby Reece's levels are still quite high and an increased dose could help her.  Do keep the Cushing's possibility in mind  especially if they have a hard time regulating her.  She is so young to be having such problems.  The big question I have is how is she acting?  I hope you can get your baby on a dose that's right real soon.  Mr. Wiggles and I send lots of kisses Reece's way.  Hope she's feeling well.

Wiggles Kisses,
Lora & Mr. Wiggles   pp_animal_564.gif

jayman72365

jayman72365

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
Good morning Lora and Mr. Wiggles!
We had read the good news and posted we are so happy to hear your levels are more stable!

Lora,
I am going to inquire about the Cushings test today when we go by there. Yes he is so young to have all this happening to him, it just breaks our heart broken_heart.gif
His strength encourages me though. He is such a trooper, and when he looks at me, I am reminded if he can be so strong, then we have to be too!!!
I have be advised by others who have diabetic pets--that Reece needs to be on a 2x's daily, breaking it up so it isnt bottoming out mid day (it gets in the 30's) and then high before bedtime. Halfing it, 8 a.m. and then again at 8 p.m.
His levels were 132 this morning, what could be better!!!

Anyways I will certainly post this evening. Thanks again for your support to us, it means the world to have such friends in your corner. We are so happy, also, that Mr. Wiggles got a sponsor!

HUGS,
Tammy & Reece

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users