Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Ear mites? Fleas? Revolution? Any experience?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Diana S

Diana S

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 487 posts
I have two foster kittens since Christmas.  Tom and Jerry are finally over their URI's, but now I'm wondering about ear mites.  I brought them home the Friday before Christmas, with the intent of giving them antibiotics for the week - and then bringing them back to the clinic.  Overnight, Tom took a terrible turn for the worse, so I rushed them both to my vet.  Tom had the goopy pus-sy eye that is common with URI's, but also had a strange odor about him.  When the vet cleaned the black gunk from his ears, she also got lots of pus.  She also saw pus around his anus, so shaved him to get a better look - expecting to find an abcess.  There was none, so the pus was coming through his digestive tract.  She put him on Zithromax (antibiotic), Tresaderm (ear drops), and Teramycin (eye ointment) in addition to the triple antibiotic ointment already being used.  Then he stopped eating - so I syringe fed him every few hours for over a week until he started eating again.  The vet was pretty sure he had FeLv, so we did a snap test, which fortunately came back negative.  Both cats are currently eating well, and playing well.  

Last night I noticed Jerry's ears were disgustingly black inside.  I cleaned them out, and did a search on ear mites - and see that Tresaderm is used to get rid of ear mites.  Now I'm wondering if the vet gave Tom Tresaderm for ear mites - I had assumed it was a drug for infection because of the pus.

I know Revolution kills ear mites - so I got some from the cat adoption group and plan on using it later today or tomorrow.  I still have Tresaderm left over from Tom, and am considering using it on Jerry.  I'll have to call my vet tomorrow to see if that's okay.  I'm guessing it's safer to go with Revolution and IF they have ear mites, they'll be taken care of, than to go with Frontline.  

My vet said Tom had a heavy flea infestation, but I really don't see any fleas.  I used a flea comb, and got little bits of "dirt".  I had read that flea dirt is composed of blood, and if you drop water on it that it will dissolve - so I dropped some water on it on a white gauze pad, and nothing happened.  Not sure if it is flea dirt or not.  I don't see fleas, I don't feel fleas.  Both have beautiful fur, not grimy fur that I've been told is what you feel if a cat has fleas.  I guess I've been lucky all these years - TC never had fleas or a URI - and neither have Tabbytha and Catrinka, so I'm totally in new territory here.  She did not see fleas on Jerry - which also has me confused since they are littermates and have been together all along.

Any advice from the wise cat people of IMOM??

Pictures of the two of them are at the gallery.

Thanks!!
Diana S

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Hi Diana!  Nice to see you here.  Thanks for fostering these babes.

QUOTE (Diana S @ Jan 13 2008, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I'm wondering if the vet gave Tom Tresaderm for ear mites - I had assumed it was a drug for infection because of the pus.
Tresaderm will get bacteria as well as mites and yeast.

I'm not that familiar with selamectin, but I would definitely check with your vet before using both Revolution and Tresaderm for Jerry's ears.

Diana S

Diana S

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 487 posts
Thanks Kim - I was hoping you'd add your two cents here - since your two cents are worth millions!!  I had never even considered that it might not be good to combine the two.  

I've missed being here, and am trying really hard to cut back my hours at work so I can have more IMOM time!!!!

Hugs,
Diana S

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,884 posts
I would second that on the Revolution. Revolution is a very strong medicine and is probably not good for young kittens or older cats.  I would only use these products on healthy cats that are not very young or very elderly.

The tresaderm will clear up the ear mites. I would also not combine these products.

Even with advantage or those store bought flea meds, the common wisdom is to wait at least two weeks before using the a different product or a second dose.

Hang on the to Revolution, you can use it when they are older (you are keeping them, right?) or on an adult cat.

Thanks for taking care of these babies.

Kathy

Diana S

Diana S

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 487 posts
Well, I called the vet who told me to go ahead and use Revolution AND the Tresaderm.  I did that on Monday night.  I used the Tresaderm again yesterday, but was amazed at how great the ear looked.  At work today, I asked if I could bring them in and let them play and get socialized - I wanted to be sure they weren't still contagious.  The head vet tech was surprised that my vet had told me to use both products - thought it was overkill.  Revolution would have taken care of any ear mites in 24 hours.  Also fleas.  So they are free to come and play while I work.  

Kathy - the Revolution comes in two strengths, one for over 15 pounds, one for under 5 pounds.  Then of course there are the stronger ones for dogs too.  This is the first time I have ever used this product.  I would NEVER EVER use any of the OTC Brands of flea treatments on ANY animal!  I have seen and heard too many horror stories with Hartz.  I would also NEVER order any Frontline, Advantage, etc on the internet - a friend of mine did - treated her cats, and two of them died from toxicity.  After further investigation, she found out that she had gotten counterfeit products.  Check Merial's website, they have more details there on how to tell.  The sad thing, she bought the Frontline from a "reputable" internet source.  Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent.  Had I seen your post, I think I would have waited, and only used the Tresaderm.  I'm usually very cautious about stuff.

Thanks,
Diana S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users