Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Tucker and Justice Van Allen - Part 6

• Please log in to reply
1321 replies to this topic

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts
Bringing a little magicmoon.gif to the circle of friends waiting for a report on Tuckie.
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
Cindy just called.  The news is not what we all were hoping for.  Tucker had his neuro exam and it was better today than the last one.  That's good news.  He's had the CT scan and it showed swelling on one side of the brain.  His one side of his brain has shifted over to the other side.  It could mean one of two things.  A brain tumor or encephalitis.   broken_heart.gif  Encephalitis is a inflammation of the brain as a result of an autoimmune disease.  It is the GME that Cindy referred to before.  Right now Tucker is having a spinal tap. The spinal tap will tell if the swelling and shifting of the brain is due to encephalitis.  They will bring Tucker to Cindy after the tap and they will stick around the hospital until it is ok to take him home.  Cindy doesn't expect the results from the spinal tap until about 5 pm tonight.  Cindy said she'd post when she can.  Say a prayer for Tucker.

Juli

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 3,567 posts
Juli, thank you for letting us know.

Cindy - I am so sorry.  broken_heart.gif I don't even know what to say. My thoughts are with you and Tuckie, as always (and Justice too, of course.) I wish I could do more than hold you close in my thoughts and send cyber-hugs. But you've got them, and tons of good thoughts.  

hugs.gif

Cody sends tons of soft purrs and head-rubs.

Tracy and Cody  heart.gif  stripekitty.gif

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
QUOTE (Tracy IMOM @ Jan 15 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Juli, thank you for letting us know.

Cindy - I am so sorry.  broken_heart.gif I don't even know what to say. My thoughts are with you and Tuckie, as always (and Justice too, of course.) I wish I could do more than hold you close in my thoughts and send cyber-hugs. But you've got them, and tons of good thoughts.  

hugs.gif

Cody sends tons of soft purrs and head-rubs.

Tracy and Cody  heart.gif  stripekitty.gif

I can't think of anything to add, so I'll just say "what Tracy said".

You're in our thoughts,

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
QUOTE (Cindy/IMOM @ Jan 15 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't think of anything to add, so I'll just say "what Tracy said".

Me too. Tracy said it beautifully. Cindy, you are definitely in my thoughts, and I wish I was there with you so I could wrap my arms around you and give you a big hug.

MikesMom

MikesMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,607 posts
Oh my gosh... I've been refreshing the 7th page waiting for the news, not knowing about the results until now.  broken_heart.gif  Oh Cindy... I am so sorry... I hate to think of what you're going through now. I wish I could be there to hold you while you hold little Tuckie.  Please know how much we love you and Tuck and Justice. We're here for you sweetie.

Juli, thanks for the update.  The waiting was horrible for us... I can only imagine how it is for Cindy.  Thank God she's not alone.

Sending up lots of prayers as always.

Within the heart of every stray
Lies the singular desire to be loved.

bowsprite

bowsprite

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 541 posts
Cindy,
Keeping you all on my heart and in my prayers - sending you great big hugs, hoping you feel how much we care - hoping beyond hope that something will be found to help Tuckie today.  Please know that I am with you in spirit.
Kathy, Puddin and Angel Lucky

paulajmnj

paulajmnj

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 743 posts
poor tuckie,oh Cindy i hope you can feel the love coming to you from all of us. heart.gif

hugs.gif
p
and the boys

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,830 posts
All my love, hugs and prayers for you and Tucker Cindy. I'm so sorry. sad.gif sad.gif
Deb, Spike(RB 3/13/07), Riley (RB 8/12/13), Tigger, Jake, Tyson and Jax

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,177 posts
QUOTE (paulajmnj @ Jan 15 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
poor tuckie,oh Cindy i hope you can feel the love coming to you from all of us. heart.gif

hugs.gif
p
and the boys

Paula, I CAN feel it from each and every one of u. I have to say I giggled a bit to see the posts of everyone waiting for news. It figures u guys could make me giggle.

Juli, thank u for posting for me, and being a support with the phone call. It's always fun to get news that is good and u can spread the word---but I know this was hard for Juli.
Juli got all the info just right. Although it was info the neuro came out and told me between the CT scan and spinal tap.
After it was all over, the neuro also included stroke in the possibilities.
But, before the CT when we asked what the CT would show, he said it would not show TIA's, and it would only show a massive or very significant stroke-- enough to cause an abnormality in the structure of the brain.
That's something I will ask him about (unless the CSF -cerebrospinal fluid shows something). It just seems like with a really significant stroke that there would have been paralysis or something. But I will talk to him abt it.
So, a significant stroke (I wonder how u prevent another one if that's the case-another question), brain tumor or GME-an autoimmune encephalitis.

We now know it's not the disease schnauzers can get (hyperlipidemia), becuz it always includes hypothyroid. His thyroid tests came back fine.
This was part of what was on his take home paper:
Today's CT revealed an enlargement in the left side of the brain causing a shift to the right. In addition there are some changes in his ventricles.
He also had said the brain is asymetrical.

Originally they thought I would hear by 5PM. Now they said it will most likely be after 6pm and maybe as late as after 8pm. But he will definitely call tonight.
I will let u guys know when I hear...
At least the spinal tap (CSF ) results will definitely rule out the encephalitis.

Thanks so much for the hugs and such wonderful support. I went from giggling to tearing up--but a kind of tearing up where u feel sucjh kindness and support from such wonderful friends.

I will be back later when I hear anything. Tuck had a couple complex partial seizures since we have been home, but he is doing well. He is such a trooper.
Justice is fine too.

Thanks so much angels!
Posted Image

MikesMom

MikesMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,607 posts
Oh Cindy... I'm in tears right now.  It's so hard to think of our little Tucker so sick. I've been keeping vigil here... as many of us have... just waiting and watching and praying.  

How was your trip there? Was there a lot of snow on the ground? How were the roads? Did you sleep at all?  My heart is crying for you.. for Tuck... for Justice... for all of us.  I wish it were better news.

Call me if you need to... please!!

Guest_Sequia_*

Guest_Sequia_*
  • Guests
Cindy, this is the first chance I have had today to read and post.

I was at the hospital this morning getting my stitches out and in a meeting this afternoon. Anyway, I too wish I could be with you to give you hugs. Please feel them coming your way. I am praying that whatever the outcome is, that it could be fixed, pysically and financially.

Here is a picture that I hope will make you laugh abit (even if it is just for a minute!)

Attached File  an10.jpg   14.13K   5 downloads

Attached File  Gas.jpg   29.71K   4 downloads

Attached File  Naked.gif   92.56K   6 downloads

Love you tons,

Cynthia

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,830 posts
HI Cindy,

Like everyone else, I'm waiting for news and sending loads of love and prayers. I hope Tuckie hasn't had any more seizures and like Cynthia hope that whatever it is it can be fixed.

Give both boys and yourself a great big hug.

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,177 posts
OMG!! FINALLY some pretty good news--at least it's the best possible.

The neuro called--

1.  Tuck does not have GME-encephalitis, thank God.

2.  There is a 1 in 10 chance Tuck has a brain tumor. The only reason there is a chance,  is becuz if he has a tumor in the frontal lobe, then the protein in the CSF is not an indicator--but it is otherwise. His protein was normal.
So praying he doesn't have a tumor in the frontal lobe that they couldn't see.

3. So... most likely he had a stroke. The neuro said, "It had to be a significant stroke, since the changes on the CT are significant."

I didn't get to ask many questions. I am having a hard time understanding how we could miss a "significant stroke". All I remember is being gone one day, and when I came back I was in the kitchen, and I could hear Tuck scuffing on the tile (something he has done often after GM's and butt meds) and he was pacing (again something he does often before or after seizures). I asked how long he had been pacing, and was told that he paced all afternoon. That night he did the pacing  most of the night--not normal, but I thought the way he was acting that maybe he had a bad GM earlier in the day that was missed--OR, even more likely--he was going to have one.
So, he must have had it that day (Dec 23rd).
If it had been one of the other 3 non-epileptics, we would have recognized in a heart beat that something was wrong. If it was a "normal" epileptic, I know we would have recognized it too. But with a severe epi that all of these things happen with off and on, and all the meds he is on--well I can tell u I will look at pre-ictal and post-ictal behaviors differently now.

The neuro said we still don't know why a significant stroke must have happened. But he feels we have some time to figure it out. That at the very least, for  the next week we should be safe.
BUT, first he wants Tuck to get back on a normal sleep cycle. So I am to give him some ACE to calm and sedate him (once thought a HUGE no-no for epi's--it's now OK to use in some situations) every evening for 1 week, becuz he wants to see what gets better when he isn't so exhausted.
Tuck has been a little aggressive towards the other dogs the past few weeks--the neuro wonders if it is becuz Tuck is exhausted, as well as some of his other symptoms.

I call him on Thursday.

So, it looks like he had a "significant stroke".
There is a 1 in 10 chance of a tumor.
No encephalitis. PHEW!

It's scary not knowing why a dog considered young for a stroke, had one...and it feels a bit like a possible ticking bomb...but it's one I would rather have then the tumor!!

Hi Joanna, the trip to Columbus was a bit dicey until we got to the freeway (normally a 20 min trip--took almost 40) since no plows had been out and it was quite slippery. But the closer we got to Columbus, the better it became.
Nope, didn't sleep. I hope after giving Tuck the ACE tonight, that we will both sleep!!!
Thanks sweetie for being here!!!! love and hugs!

Hi Cynthia, glad u got ur stitches out. The pics def made me laugh!! Thanks for posting them!! love and hugs!!

Tuckie played a little bit. Now he is pacing a little...

Justice is happy mommy is home!!!

THANK YOU everyone for the positive thoughts, prayers--everything!!!!!
Gonna go be with my boys!!
Posted Image

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,830 posts
Cindy I'm so glad its not encephalitis. And I'm praying its not a tumor. I hope the ACE lets you all get some sleep tonight. All my thoughts and prayers and loads of love and hugs being sent.

Posted ImagePosted Image

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
Cindy- I hope the 3 of u sleep like babies tonight-- and that does NOT mean up every two hours!  

Paula(2)
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

MikesMom

MikesMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,607 posts
QUOTE (Debs @ Jan 15 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cindy I'm so glad its not encephalitis. And I'm praying its not a tumor. I hope the ACE lets you all get some sleep tonight. All my thoughts and prayers and loads of love and hugs being sent.

Hey Cindy...

The only thing I could say is DITTO DEB.. exactly. Wow.. what an experience you've had today. I pray you get some much deserved and needed sleep tonight too.

I called Debbie earlier and told her what was going on.  I'll call her now, too, and give her the news.  Please give Tucker some extra scritches and nose kisses from us tonight.. and give Justice the same.  As far as you.. well.. you get all the hugs you can imagine.

God Bless You, My Friend!

debbie and jack

debbie and jack

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
Oh Cindy,  Dear sweet Joanna has been keeping me posted all day.  I feel like I held my breath all day and can finally let it out.  I bet that is the way you feel too.  The tension in your body must be terrific, so be sure to take cleansing breaths.

I think you need a spa day after all this, so you and the boys visualize yourself at the spa tonite and get some healing sleep.  

You are never far from my mind, dear friend.

Love and big soft husky hugs, dogsled.gif
Debbie and Jack

ps School is kicking my patootie!

vickyimom

vickyimom

Board of Directors

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 866 posts
Cindy, I am so glad it is not encephalitis, and hopefully not a tumor either...but I am so sorry it seems like poor Tuckie had a big stroke :(((
Please know that you and the boys will be in my thoughts and prayers.....I hope so much that you all get a peaceful night full of good sleep...
lots of hugs from the zoo....
Vicky

Guest_Linda IMOM_*

Guest_Linda IMOM_*
  • Guests
I am here Cindy - just trying to abosrb the vet report.

Has Tuck had a CT before?  Just wondering if he had a CT they can compare it to.

Get some rest, I know you are exhausted.  Hugs to Tuckie for being a good boy today.  Hugs to Justice - just because h'es soo sweet.

splight

splight

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 196 posts
Hi Cindy,

Just catching up on our boy. Sounds like the vets appointment was a success in that you got some answers, even if not what we wanted. I'm so sorry to hear it may have been a stroke. However, recovery from strokes just takes time, so it's possible that he will continue to improve. There are young children that have strokes for no apparant reason, maybe our boy is just one of them.

Hugs and prayers from the boys and me,
splight, Sunny and Buddy

Isadora3

Isadora3

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 155 posts
Hi Cindy

I had to be sure to check in on your puppy and you tonight...I'm glad he has no encephalitis and will be praying for no tumors...

You are in our prayers. Hope you get some rest and T is sleeping well tonight.

Best Wishes

Monique and Coqui

Snowbelt

Snowbelt

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 629 posts
Wow, what a day and what a report. I'm so sorry to hear that Tucker probably had a stroke. I hope he'll be comfortable tonight and can get back on a normal sleep schedule. If you find the trick for the normal sleep schedule, can you pass some hints along for me? smile.gif

Can Tuck take anything to help reduce the swelling in his brain, or is that just something that will happen over time? I hope the aggression will subside, too. Tuck's such a trooper...please give him a hug and a smooch from me. You're all in my prayers.

Diane

Guest_Sequia_*

Guest_Sequia_*
  • Guests
By gosh, if you guys can't get sleep, none of you are going to be able to recover in any sifnificant way. I know that us humans can get grumpy when we are sleep deprived so I am sure that it goes the same for our four legged babies! Poor Tuck  unsure.gif Feeling lousy and exhausted, ya I would be grumpy too!

Tell him for me to get a good night rest so he can start feeling better.

Here is some sleepy time incentives!

Attached File  A2570303_0.jpg   29.44K   3 downloadsAttached File  A2570303_1.jpg   31.45K   3 downloads
Attached File  A2570303_23.jpg   13.36K   2 downloadsAttached File  A2570303_3.jpg   39.14K   3 downloads
Attached File  A2570303_4.jpg   48.89K   1 downloadsAttached File  mommycat.jpg   52.17K   1 downloads

Sweet dreams to you all!

love and hugs,

Cynthia

Edited by Sequia, 15 January 2008 - 11:58 PM.

MikesMom

MikesMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,607 posts
Hey Kid...

Just stopped in before Mike makes me go to bed.  I hope by now you and the boys are sleeping and resting peacefully.  I'll check in on you again tomorrow. You're always in my prayers. Sweet Dreams.
Love, Blessings,  hugs.gif & Tons of Wet Nose Kisses!!!

Editing to add to Cynthia's "restful" pictures...

PRAYING THAT YOU ARE THIS COMFORTABLE AND STRESS FREE!!
Attached File  comfydog.jpg   20.16K   2 downloads

Edited by MikesMom, 16 January 2008 - 12:28 AM.

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
I was away from the puter most of today ( had another GB attack.. so I was drugged up most of the day)... but that doesn't mean I wasn't thinking of you all day. I even told Syd when she was snoozin' in my lap that she better be praying for Tucker. She grunted in affirmation.

I am so glad that the chances of a tumor are slim. Stroke is not the best news, but it's also not the worst and one that can be worked with.

I hope you all are SOUND asleep right now and know that I'll stay up all hours of the night FOR YOU from now on wink.gif  
hugs.gif
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,177 posts
I am so very lucky to have all of u as friends. I appreciated and loved each post, It is so obvious ur posts come from a place of love for Tuckie and his mommy and brother.
I am exhausted and yet wound up. I KNOW I should just go to bed, since the boys are fast asleep and snoring--yup Tuck is fast asleep.

I actually know why I am still awake. This will sound really dumb...but...it suddenly hit me that Tuck could have died while he was having a stroke on Dec 23. That's the first day he paced all night long--it had to be that day.
Niki said tonight that the stroke signs totally depend on where the "vascular accident" happens. Well every sign from the area of "injury" occurred, has similar symptoms as what Tuckie has with epilepsy seizures or when he has had butt meds for a seizure.
It just makes me think how will I know if it happens again??

I thank each and every one of u for posting. It means a lot to me to read ur caring posts.
Cynthia the pics are sooo cute. I am getting sleepy. May just need to go to bed very soon after seeing the kitties!!! hugs
Linda, no, Tuck has never had a CT scan before. Niki is concerned that he still has significant swelling after 3 weeks..but it must be improving.  I think steroids are effective in the first 72 hours. The neuro MAY put him on a low dose of Aspirin daily, but at the moment he said just totally focus on changing his nightime pacing! hugs!
Oh Michelle, I am so sorry u had another GB attack. Been there done that myselj! Feel better.
Monique it's so nice u came here--thanks so much. I will check on Coqui tmw.

Thank you everyone for ur posts!
I really better get to bed--it's nearing 3AM, and I have no idea how I am still awake.
Tuck is snoring--the ACE is working, so far.

g'nite!
Thanks angels!!!!!

Posted Image

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,986 posts
I know why you were awake...you were running on all engines for days...let's hope now you can take it easy and get back into a quiet mode...

Of all the things that could have been, let's hope that this was a one time only thing and that Tuckie is going to just do better...

You and the boys have a wonderful bunch of friends that are sending positive thoughts and prayers and words of wisdom to you...that sure counts for something.

Tucker is a strong little boy...he's going to do everything he can do rally, we all know that...

Now, take some deep breathes today and try to just set back and watch the world go by...do some snuggling and cuddling with the boys and maybe even take a nap...You know that we are all with you in spirit...I know that that helps.  HUGS, Judy

Guest_Sequia_*

Guest_Sequia_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (k9sign @ Jan 16 2008, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually know why I am still awake. This will sound really dumb...but...it suddenly hit me that Tuck could have died while he was having a stroke on Dec 23. That's the first day he paced all night long--it had to be that day.

Cindy......DON'T go there. You are going to make yourself sick with those thoughts. The point is, he
didn't. You need to put this in God's hands. Tuck will sense your anxiety and worry about this and that is not good for him, or you. Nor is it good for Justice either.

I realize that it is difficult to do but if that were to happen, he is with you and that is what he would want I am sure. Take day by day, minute by minute. We must remember to thank God for every day we have with our fur kids because all our time is short.

I was devastated when I found CJ. I was mad at myself for not holding him while he passed. I felt that there would have been something I could have done to save him. But then I think God told me that CJ went to be alone for a reason....it would have really done me in if I was holding him.

Big hugs to you all

Cynthia

Edited by Sequia, 16 January 2008 - 08:40 AM.

Isadora3

Isadora3

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 155 posts
QUOTE (k9sign @ Jan 16 2008, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am so very lucky to have all of u as friends. I appreciated and loved each post, It is so obvious ur posts come from a place of love for Tuckie and his mommy and brother.
I am exhausted and yet wound up. I KNOW I should just go to bed, since the boys are fast asleep and snoring--yup Tuck is fast asleep.

Niki said tonight that the stroke signs totally depend on where the "vascular accident" happens. Well every sign from the area of "injury" occurred, has similar symptoms as what Tuckie has with epilepsy seizures or when he has had butt meds for a seizure.
It just makes me think how will I know if it happens again??

I thank each and every one of u for posting. It means a lot to me to read ur caring posts.
Cynthia the pics are sooo cute. I am getting sleepy. May just need to go to bed very soon after seeing the kitties!!! hugs
Linda, no, Tuck has never had a CT scan before. Niki is concerned that he still has significant swelling after 3 weeks..but it must be improving. I think steroids are effective in the first 72 hours. The neuro MAY put him on a low dose of Aspirin daily, but at the moment he said just totally focus on changing his nightime pacing! hugs!
Oh Michelle, I am so sorry u had another GB attack. Been there done that myselj! Feel better.
Monique it's so nice u came here--thanks so much. I will check on Coqui tmw.

Thank you everyone for ur posts!
I really better get to bed--it's nearing 3AM, and I have no idea how I am still awake.
Tuck is snoring--the ACE is working, so far.

g'nite!
Thanks angels!!!!!

Hi

I'm glad T is getting some sleep. I can fully understand you stress, I'd be up with Coqui too. We are praying all the best for him. I'll be checking your post for updates.

Take care

Monique' and Coqui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users