Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Five Strays in need of help

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
What started out as trying to rescue/help one dog has lead me into finding four dogs.  Over the weekend Chris and I was driving and we seen two dogs wandering, the area where they were is the same area  where I found Rosie and always see dogs on the side of the road. (I HATE THIS AREA).  Anyway being with Chris I knew he would not stop, but the dogs have been on my mind.  Last night driving home from work I was looking for them and I seen a black dog laying in an open field. I pulled over got the food/water out and started walking in the field, the dog got up and started limping away, it is hurt.  I did not want it to go into the street so I kept my distance, placed the food/water down and then left.

I figured it would still be in the field this morning and I would stop to look for it.  Well this morning I pull over because I spotted something black and assumed it was the dog.  I take the bag of dog food out and large jug of water.  As I started walking in the field I noticed not one, but four dogs.  One looks like a pit mix, orange/red color, one is a cute little black and white mutt/terrier and the two black dogs from the weekend.  One is a lab/shepard mix and the other one that is hurt I am not sure about because it is more scared then the other dogs and would not come out of the bushes.  This dog is hurt and is not using its left front paw I don't know how serious it is.

Guys I am in panic mode again, what do I do, how much can I do.  I will continue to look on pets911 to see if anyone of the dogs have been reported missing. I will also see if I can find a rescue in my area that may be willing to help me.  I will continue to put food/water out (today I just poured the bag of dog food on the ground and placed 4 plastic water bowls down).  

I don't want to call Animal Control because I know they will be put down, my fear is that I will drive home and find one of them dead in the street.  I will walk further into the field when I feed them so they are not in the open and close to traffic.

I was able to take some pics of them from my car.  I will keep you informed.  

[attachmentid=5322][attachmentid=5323]

the Black Shepard mix and the black and white one is up front, the orange pitt is towards the right and the hurt/scared black dog is behind them near the bushes.

Attached Files

Edited by Diana C. IMOM, 08 November 2007 - 11:07 AM.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Please help us help our Pets In Need by using this internet SEARCH feature for all your internet searches. To add this feature to your tool bar click here for the FREE download. http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbars.aspx

Guest_Sequia_*

Guest_Sequia_*
  • Guests
What you are doing Diane is great. More than great.
you won't be able to get near the dogs until you gain their trust. Giving them food and water and walking away is letting them know that you are not going to hurt them. Sooner than later I hope they will let you touch them. Other than that I have not idea how to get them in some safe place to be. You don't want to put yourself in any danger either not knowing if these dogs may attack.

Cynthia

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Thanks Cynthia, I am afraid to gain their trust because if I do I won't have any place for them, that is what is killing me.   I would know how to gain their trust I did it before but in the delima of how much I can help them.  Right now I am trying to find a rescue in my area that may be willing to help me. For now I have to keep feeding them and hope I can at least get the one that is hurt help.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Please help us help our Pets In Need by using this internet SEARCH feature for all your internet searches. To add this feature to your tool bar click here for the FREE download. http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbars.aspx

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,785 posts
Hi Diana,

I hope that you can find someone to take in those poor dogs. They are probably just afraid. The orange kitties that showed up out of nowhere a few weeks ago (right after I lost my weekend helper) were acting feral. One day they got close and I put my hand out they came right over and demanded pets.

I don't know if this works for dogs, but I give some antibiotics to cats with her paws and it seems to help them.

Good luck

Kathy

vickyimom

vickyimom

Board of Directors

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 864 posts
Diana, thanks for looking out for these babies. Looks like you are getting sucked into the "rescue" world. It's not easy, but boy oh boy is it rewarding.
I hope there is a happy ending for these furries - thanks so much for looking out for them....
Vicky

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
QUOTE(vickyimom @ Nov 8 2007, 01:08 PM) View Post

Diana, thanks for looking out for these babies. Looks like you are getting sucked into the "rescue" world. It's not easy, but boy oh boy is it rewarding.
I hope there is a happy ending for these furries - thanks so much for looking out for them....
Vicky

sucked/stucked/broken hearted........... There is nothing more rewarding then saving a furry one, whether it be helping IMOM's PINs over to All Funds Raised, or rescuing the unwanted/hurt/scared strays like my Angel and Annabelle, etc.  The sad truth is all the rescues are full to their max.  I just updated the websites for Paw Placement and they have 10 new dogs, that were either found wandering the streets, abandomed in parking lot or were on the E list at the pound.  They have dogs that are 10 years old.  HOW THE HELL does anyone dumped their 10 year old dog. One dog was brought in for boarding and the owners never picked him up, after several attempts to get a hold of the owner, the boarding facility contacted Paw Placement.

This is breaks my heart.  You all know I would do everything in my POWER TO HELP THESE DOGS, for now it will be by feeding them them, but what is scaring me is if I can't find places for them and they start relying on me and trusting me, what if they start to follow me like Annabelle, I know I will get so attached.  If one of them gets hit by a car, I won't be able to handle it.  Rescue is the most amazing thing if you have resources.

I can just picture it now.. "Chris, I know I said I would never mention bringing home another ..........." As it is now, I don't plan on telling  him that I am feeding them but I am sure  he will spot our bowls in the field if he gets stuck at the red light tonight LOL.

Thanks everyone for your continued support.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

vickyimom

vickyimom

Board of Directors

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 864 posts
And so it begins smile.gif Most "rescues" really don't have any resources beyond what the one vol, or couple of vols, bring to the table. Almost everyone I know started out as a "one man band" so to speak. As years go by, and your network broadens a bit, you get a couple of people who are willing to send you a donation now and then. But the bulk still remains on the shoulders of the rescuers themselves. Space is in even shorter supply than money.....hard to believe, as money is ALWAYS in short supply, but it's true.

Diana, I know you would go to great lengths for the furries. So, you do what you can. And Chris will understand. Maybe he and Mark can commiserate!
Keep us posted....
Vicky

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
One thing I have to say is "THANK GOD I HAVE GREAT BOSS". My former boss Ken supported me thru Faith, Annabelle, Sampson, Dellilah and Dorian but has since move over to another group.  I have been working for my new boss Steve for a little over a month and slowly informed him that he can rely on me 110% except when I am in rescue mode, well today I was in rescue mode and he was great.  I came in a little late, was not myself all day and left early, actually he told me to go and feed the strays but be careful.  So I was off to buy more food and rushed to get to the field.  There was only the brown dog and the white/black dog laying in the field.  As I was walking into the field to put the food down the brown down kind of raced towards me, (I have to admit I was a little nervous wasn't sure if he was going to bite me, but he seem anxious to get some food).  The black/white dog did not come near me actually started walking towards the street but the cars scared her back into the field and she started walking towards the brown dog.  I did not want to scare her so I walked back to my car. The two black dogs were not there, so I will be worrying all night until I see them in the morning.  I seen some barb wire in the field and thinking that maybe  the black dog stepped on it, but I could not touch it with bare hands it was all rusty, I will try to get rid of it tomorrow.

I believe the two black dogs have recently been abandoned or lost and feel they could be tameable and become adoptive.  Not sure about the brown and black/white one but you never know because the brown dog did come right up to me.  

Vic/Kathy thank you for your advice, so far I have been extremely lucky in finding Paw Placement, they have taken so many animals from me already, there are just too many unwanted animals and not enough rescues.  I pray every night that I could hit lotto because I would build a few animals rescues and give to the others so they can take in more animals.    

Okay here are pics from this evening. The brown dog looks a lot like Sampson. In one of the pics you can see all the cars in the backgroun, this area has so much traffic, I pray they will be safe until I can find help.

[attachmentid=5332]
[attachmentid=5333]
[attachmentid=5334]

Attached Files

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

StillPuddles

StillPuddles

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 112 posts
Hi, I see you are at it again!  Good for you!  

When we have feral cats that we care for we provide food/ water and shelter.  Also the rescues around here are all overflowing this fall, so when I have someone call about a stray cat, I suggest they offer the same to it and also get it s/n.  They can get a humane society certificate for doing so in most of the counties around me.

So, I've never rescued a dog that didn't come running to me for help (have helped plenty of those over the years on a one to one basis, before becoming an official rescue), so I don't know how to handle them, but couldn't you offer them some kind of shelter as well as the food and water?  Could you place a larger cardboard box w/ straw in it or something, near the bushes, so they can bed down in it?  If they have food, water and shelter all in the same place, they may stay in the field and not wander around so much...???

I too was chasing a stray dog today.  A little dirty white dog crossed our Main Street, stopping a ton of traffic (thank goodness everyone stopped).  I turned into a parking lot and took off on foot behind it, carrying my McDonalds hamburger w/ me, to try to tempt it into coming to me. I called it and it would stop, but never come close.  It went around the corner of a house and I lost it :(  I went back to my car and drove around looking for it.  The mail man then came up and said he too had seen it and was looking for it.  I had an appointment at the rescue and had to leave.  He continued to look for it and discovered by asking folks that were outside, that the dog had gone back near our water treatment plant (where Puddles had been found years back).  The mailman went back there, but didn't see it.  He left my number with the workers to call, if they see it.  

Poor thing was scared too, I hope it goes up to someone soon and gets help!  I did call all the vets and tell them about it, in case it's owner calls looking for it, they can give them a starting point to look for it!

Hope all the poor lost dogs are warm and safe tonight!

Nancy

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Hi Nancy, yes I am still at it, then again us animals lovers will always be still at it.  The Shelter sounds like a good idea, I will look into it. I just wish they weren't dead center of two main roads.  I bought four non flavored raw hides and hope to see them all tomorrow morning.

I will also say a pray for the dog you seen today in hopes of it being rescued soon.  I need to come to terms with "as many as I save there will be so many more that need to be saved and some won't ever get the chance"  A terrbile thing to face and have to live with.

I look at my Annabelle and Angel and it breaks my heart in a million pieces to think what their lives would have been if I didn't save them broken_heart.gif .  They are the most loving dogs in the world and I know given the chance so are half of the other dogs out there, they just need and deserve that second chance.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

StillPuddles

StillPuddles

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 112 posts
Diana;

I understand how you feel, when you look at the whole large picture of all the homeless and unwanted animals in our world, it can be overwhelming!  I'm sure that folks that are in children welfare or desease research, etc. feel the same way about their "fields".  Our world is in a state of crisis in so many ways and if we took it all in we would be so depressed...

All that is expected of us and all that we can do; however, is use our God given talents and loves to make a difference in our own small way and if enough folks would do that it would add up and then it would make the big difference!  The one morning show spent part of the week at the "ends of the Earth" to show the problems with Global Climate Change.  Again, an important issue and one we should all do something about.  Could you or I save the planet from Global "warming", probably not...but our efforts of recycling, turning our heat down a few degrees, etc., added with efforts of thousands and millions of others WILL make a difference.

That's what IMOM does,  it takes lots of peoples  efforts (donations) and combines them together with others to make the difference in a pets life.  In this way IMOM is a shining example of how it should be in this world!

Before I founded Pet Angel, I would come accross dogs or cats, usually one at a time that were lost or abandoned.  I would bring them home and give them needed care, vet them and find them homes.  It seemed never ending and I too felt overwhelmed.  Then eleven little kittens came to me at once, that required bottle feeding!  Boy was that an experiance!  These kittens (according to the vet) were born the day my Mom died!  They became the beginning of Pet Angel.  It was during this tiring time of feeding eleven kittens that I discovered that what is important is for me to save the ones that God sends to me and that he won't send me more than I can handle (although at times, this is hard to believe!).  We are what some call a "limited intake" rescue, meaning that we don't take every animal that is "offered" to us and we are no-kill.  This means that I can't save them all and some times that does get me down, but then I get an e-mail from an adoptive parent that shows one of the adopted cats in it's new happy home and that is the best boost possible.  For that cat...I made the difference...it is not longer cold or lonely...it's happy and warm!

My goal for my rescue is to continue to grow, one day having our own facility (not a rented one) that will allow us to help dogs and other small furry ones (rabbits, etc.).  Even then we won't be able to save them all, but joined together with others in our area...we will and do make a difference.

You too make a big difference, try focusing on those that have been sent to you to help and celebrate the victories you have.  Join forces with others that rescue in your area (a nearby county has a coalition of all it's rescues that meets monthly and addresses needs in their area as a whole) and make an even bigger difference together!

You are adding to the big picture and helping to make it a bit better!  That's whats important and remember what you do does count!

Nancy

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
QUOTE(Diana C. IMOM @ Nov 8 2007, 03:54 PM) View Post

They have dogs that are 10 years old.  HOW THE HELL does anyone dumped their 10 year old dog. One dog was brought in for boarding and the owners never picked him up, after several attempts to get a hold of the owner, the boarding facility contacted Paw Placement.

Oh, you'd be sickened to know the answer to this Diana  broken_heart.gif  When I worked in the shelter  / at the hospital we all HATED this time of year.  Abandonment would sky rocket and euthansias would go even higher. It seems no one wants old "SPOT" around having an accident during the holidays, or worse .... they want to go away for the holidays and "SPOT" is an inconvinience.  It's just pathetic.  We'd have so many dogs dumped and killed the two months before the holidays that I dreaded going to work.

Bless you for trying to help these four furbabies. I know what it's like to do what you just feel you have to do.  I'm shocked at the number of stray roaming dogs you have in your area. We don't have as much of that here.  We have lots more chained in fields or tiny pens for their entire lives without adequate food/water/shelter. In some areas I swear it's every couple houses.   I can't drive down certain roads right now because of it.... I know my limits and they are where I am at right now. But as soon as I can... I have a list of addresses of homes to visit to try to get their dogs off a chain laying in a ditch their entire lives.

Please let us know how these four are doing. I will pray that the injured one will come to you for help.  hugs.gif
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Michelle, to be honest I don't know what is worse, a stray trying to survive out on the streets or a dog that spends his/her entire life tied to a tree.  Paw Placement has taken in a 4 year old pitt name Blue, he spent his entire life tied to a tree with no shelter, little food/water.  This is hard enough to imagine but Blue is DEAF I can't even beginto think of what he was going thru all those years.

Even though Paw Placement was able to save Blue from living out the rest of his life tied to a tree, we are not sure if he will live a long life because he has skin cancer due to living without any shelter to protect him from the sun.  This is Blue
[attachmentid=5341]
I have not seen the four strays since Thursday.  When I went back Friday night they were not there but the food was gone, so I left more food.  I also went back yesterday and did not see them, left food and water.  I am not sure how much more my heart can take and sometimes hope I don't see them again, but I know that is only being selfish, they are still living out there trying to survive.  So I will continue to go there and put food/water out and if I can gain their trust I know I will do whatever is necessary to help them.

Attached Files

Edited by Diana C. IMOM, 11 November 2007 - 01:58 PM.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Guest_Sequia_*

Guest_Sequia_*
  • Guests
Diane I feel for you. I can't imagine the heart break you go through seeing the dogs.
I am very lucky where I live. Have only once seen and picked up a stray. Can't say the same about cats but not dogs. Yet somehow the humane society has plenty of them. I just don't understand why it is so expensive to adopt a dog from the humane society. It can cost $350.00. I guess there are pros and cons to that price.

Cynthia

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
QUOTE(Sequia @ Nov 11 2007, 02:14 PM) View Post

Diane I feel for you. I can't imagine the heart break you go through seeing the dogs.
I am very lucky where I live. Have only once seen and picked up a stray. Can't say the same about cats but not dogs. Yet somehow the humane society has plenty of them. I just don't understand why it is so expensive to adopt a dog from the humane society. It can cost $350.00. I guess there are pros and cons to that price.
Cynthia

I just read a thread on some online forum that was specifically people in an uproar about adoption fees. The basic "theme" was that over 4 million dogs are put to sleep in the US  and maybe that wouldn't happen if the fees weren't so high to adopt. The thing is - without those fees many more would be disposed of. The fee to adopt that ONE dog has to cover his vetting needs and very likely the food bill , vetting bill,  for two more dogs that are sitting there unadopted. Not to mention overhead costs, etc. The funding these places get is so limited.... money has to come in from somewhere if ANY animals are to be saved. It's a vicious circle :(

Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
Just caught this Diana, I'm so glad you are trying to help these poor dogs. Like Nancy said you can only do what you can do. Don't look at the whole picture its too painful. I just looked on Cynthia's "dogsindanger.com" site and of course the first thing I see is a rotti, with a tail that looks just like Jake and has 3 days to live. He's in California I have absolutely no way to get to him or afford to have him shipped, let alone what Riley would do, he doesn't really want Jake there as it is, and my heart is breaking, because now on the 15th all I'm going to do is think about that poor dog and how I can't help him. I just hope that someone can.

My heart goes out to you hon and also my thoughts and prayers. Keep us informed on these guys. Your one special person Diana.
Deb, Spike(RB 3/13/07), Riley (RB 8/12/13), Tigger, Jake, Tyson and Jax

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

Synderyella

Synderyella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
It can cost $350.00.

well, if they can't afford the fees to adopt..what are they gonna do when it needs medical care?   It cost me over $400 first visit to the vet with this cat I just rescued. Of course a lot of that was spay and blood work but still an uncared for animal can have a lot of problems like this kitty did...malnourished, ear mites, fleas, worms, etc.
  Diana  where do you live?  What state are these strays in?  Looks like Calif or Ariz desert in the pictures.

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Arizona,  I did not see them today, but again all the food was gone.  When I went back this evening to put more food/water out I notice a HUGE beattle eating the dry food, who knows maybe the critters are eating all the food.  (I think the beattle scared me more then the brown dog last week when he came towards me).  I have been looking on line for other rescues in my area. My area is very rural and most people out here let their dogs roam and don't care if they come back or not.  I see puppies for free signs up all the time, these people have no clue what a vet is and what they are putting their animals thru by not having them s/n.  

I know most rescues out here charge between $150.00 - 200.00 for adoption fees, but they have all the animals up to date on shots, s/n, board and feed them so I can see why they are asking so much.

I will continue to look for them and put food out.  If I get close enough and/or know that they are hanging around this area most of the time, I will place a call into Paw Placement and ask for assistance.

PS Deb I know how you feel about that poor rottie, my heart breaks for him as well.  I read an article last week that in my area alone, last year Animal Control picked up over 7,700 strays dogs and 5,500 were put to sleep because they could not adopt them out.  This is just my area of Arizona, can you imagine all those poor animals.  I HATE PEOPLE MORE AND MORE EVERYDAY......

Edited by Diana C. IMOM, 12 November 2007 - 11:09 PM.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
I hope you find out what happened to them Diana. The not knowing is the worst part. I like to imagine that another rescuer that you don't know about has taken them in.

Those numbers are staggering. Those poor animals. When I read that stuff I tend to hate people more and more too. I just don't understand how someone can throw away a dog or a cat, or not care that they are hungry. It breaks my heart.
Deb, Spike(RB 3/13/07), Riley (RB 8/12/13), Tigger, Jake, Tyson and Jax

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Thanks Debs, this morning all the food was STILL there. I know in my heart no one picked them up.  I will see them again, I just pray not on the side of the road, I can't tell you how my hands shake and my heart drops in my stomach everytime I drive on this road.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
QUOTE(Diana C. IMOM @ Nov 14 2007, 12:32 AM) View Post

Thanks Debs, this morning all the food was STILL there. I know in my heart no one picked them up.  I will see them again, I just pray not on the side of the road, I can't tell you how my hands shake and my heart drops in my stomach everytime I drive on this road.

ohmy.gif
Hoping you see them soon. It has to be SOOOOO nerve wracking not knowing where they went and if they are okay .... but remember that you are doing all you can right now. Perhaps they got spooked by your presence - if one of the females has pups she might have moved them for a number of reasons as well.  Hang in there. I have a feeling you were meant to find these four and will be able to help them !
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

Kathy and Tigger

Kathy and Tigger

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 258 posts
Diane, I know you're gonna keep worrying about those lost ones, just keep in your heart all the good that you have done already.  Especially everytime you see your own furry ones - they couldn't have asked for a better MOM.

My youngest daughter is befriending an Italian Greyhound that her neighbor leaves out in the cold for too long each day. They don't even give the Iggy a coat to keep warm or footies for the feet. Brea said there was a bit of snow the other day in PA. That is just downright cruel to a dog without much fur to speak of. These aren't all-weather dogs, my Tito gets the prime spot by the wood stove in cold weather and he is good natured enough to still want to go out and do his business in subzero weather.  Of course he is very handsome in his hoodie and booties when we go out .

My older daughter on the other hand has left her kitty in my care to hang with her current boyfriend. She'll wonder why Sushi snubs her when she finally decides to pay attention to him again.  

There is no understanding why people do some of the things they do - we just get the opportunity to make a difference in the lives that have been so badly disrupted.  Bless you for being one who cares so much.

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Thank you Kathy, I have not seen my original four dogs in awhile. Unfortunately I do see other stray dogs on the same road trying to scrap up food from the ground.  I now carry a 10 pd bag of dog food, can food, paper bowls and dishes and each time I see a dog, I pull my car over, place the food / water out try to get their attention, turn around close my eyes and pray they don't get scared and run into the street and get hit by a car.  These roads are very narrow and they are already half on/off the street.  I know they are scared so I don't try to walk towards them, I just make enough noise so they can see me with the bad of dog food.

I am so parnoid driving down that road that I automatically reduce my speed in fear of not being able to stop my car if a dog comes running out, cars are constantly passing me up and I just say another prayer that they don't hit a dog.  

I understand what you are saying about your children, I grew up with 5 brothers and although they like animals, they wouldn't think twice about bringing them to the pound if they no longer wanted them, this is one of the main reason I don't speak to one brother because of the way he just leaves his animals behind when he decides to pack up and move.  With each new apartment the kids want a cat or a dog, they don't think twice about getting them and all of a sudden I hear from my mom, they moved again and she has no idea what they did with their cats/dogs.  When I first moved to Arizona 3 years ago, I saved 8 of his dogs (one was pregnant and gave birth to 4 pups) and I am STILL Angry and haven't spoken to him and don't plan to. But then I think if I didn't go out of my way to save those dogs, I would have never found Paw Placement (animal rescue who took all the dogs from me and adopted them out) and if never found Paw Placement, I would never have known about IMOM and not only would my brother's dogs be dead but so would Angel.  I guess things happen for a reason.....

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

MikesMom

MikesMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,573 posts
Hi Diana,

I don't know where I've been or why I haven't seen this till now... but I just now found this thread. You are so amazing.. it's unreal. It must be so incredibly hard for you everytime you begin a rescue... and yet... you are the angel these babies have been led to... whether it be for complete rescue or food and water or (if the rescue can't be complete) even the prayers that you offer for them ... whatever they require and you are able to do for them... you provide.  If the original four don't return, could it be that they may have moved as a pack to another location... do you think they could have gone to the reservation.. or with any luck, maybe they have been picked up and are safe from the streets.

I never realized how many dogs are dropped off until I started reading your thread on Annabelle and now this. And.. I wasn't aware, either, that Michelle was involved with the shelters and such... when she said dogs were tied out and left out in the elements all the time, it struck me as odd because you'd think you'd see that more in the city not so much in the country... but then again.. it doesn't matter where it happens.. it's cruel and dispicable. People like those shouldn't be allowed to own a pet. And to drop them off at shelters never to pick them up... my God... those poor babies.. they just don't understand... hell... we can't understand, how could we expect them to?

It's just so hard to believe that people would just dispose of their dogs like that... especially during a "holiday" season??? What do they do.. dump the old dog and get a puppy? What in the hell is wrong with this world?

Ok.. I'm done for now. Diana, please know you have done so much more than even you can imagine. If for some reason the original four don't show up again.. just know you did what you can and God is taking care of them.

God Bless You With Love & Blessings Coming Your Way
Joanna

Within the heart of every stray
Lies the singular desire to be loved.

LaylaAnn05

LaylaAnn05

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,155 posts
Oh Diana! More pups?? Sheesh! You sure do have your hands full!!!

To go on with the rant...I hate people as well. You know, my neighbors have this adorable dog named Abby and she is a shep/husky mix...one year old...not spayed...

She continously jumps the fence to play with me and Layla and ends up running out in the front yard. About once a week, I run into her and we play for a few minutes before I return her.

The first time, the mom asked me, "Is your dog fixed? Because mine isn't!" as though it was MY responsibility to keep HER dog from getting pregnant. I replied, "Absolutely, there are too many dogs dying and being euthanized or tossed outside. I fixed her as soon as I got her at four months."

She didn't like the answer. wink.gif

So, Its frustrating, it hurts, it tears into you when you see your rescue's at home and know that could have been them...

...but for each one you save, well it's one less that goes a day without food, shelter or love.

Keep up the good work! I know its frustrating...I just found about 3 more kitties on my street that need homes!! Yikes! But, one day...maybe one day...enough people will have done enough to help end this cycle of abandoned animals.

Until then, the world needs you! smile.gif
"What the heart has once cherished, it can never let go."

For my angels Layla Ann and Nefertiti

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
I have good news (if you can call dogs living on the streets good news).  When I leave for work in the morning it is normally dark, this morning I left a little late and it was starting to get light out. I figured the dogs won't be in the field and decided not to stop, but as I turned to make the light I see the black/white dog walking in the field and then I seen more dogs running.  I was so happy, I pulled my car over and got the food/water out.  I seen the two black dogs and the black & white dog, but they were running away from me. Which was okay, I was happy to know they were at least still around.  I placed two medium size turkey pans on the ground, filled them both up with dry and then added a can of wet to each pan.  I also filled a third pan with water.   I felt pretty good all day and was looking forward to coming back to see if they ate the food.  This evening as I am driving I could see one of the black dogs and the black and white dog laying in the field.  I got out of my car and took more food over to the pans, as the dogs seen them they headed the other way, BUT I seen all of them, the two black dogs, black/white and even the brown dog, he came over to me again and stood less then two feet way.  This morning they only ate one full pan of food and picked the wet food out of the other pan. So I filled the pan again and placed a can of wet on top of each pan again.  The brown dog was actually eating the wet as I was filling the other pan.  The black/white dog came close, not close enough to eat but at least it walked towards me and stood a couple of feet away.

I took pics but they came out too dark.  It appears the two black dogs are EXTREMELY afraid of people, the brown dog even wagged his tail when I was opening the can, but he looked much skinner and his eyes were sad. Last week he look powerful and a little scary.  The black and white dog is also very skinny and appears to be less active (I don't see her run as much as I see the other dogs, I pray she is not sick, she didn't appear hurt just mellow/slow -I think it is a she).

At least I know they are there and still alive.  Even if I don't seen them this has to be where they rest and feel safe. I will spend Thanksgiving and Friday walking the field and trying to get a better look at them to see if any are females and injured.  At this point I don't want them to come to me because I still don't have any place for them and don't want them to follow me when I walk back to my car.  Things are going to get emotionally tough on me, the more I see them and can't help them, the more harder things will become for me to handle.  I will keep you informed,  thank you for all your support and encouragement.  I can't turn my back now, they are probably starting to rely on me putting food out and the brown dog is understanding that I will not hurt him.  

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

TigresMeow

TigresMeow

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 661 posts
I wish I lived closer to you, Diana.  I would help you walk the fields looking for them and if we could get one or more of them to come to us, I would move mountains to find a place for them...even if I had to add them to my own pack for a while.

Kat n her K9 Crew
-Katie, Corree, Stormy, Dakota Rose, Maggie, Belle, Kiwi, Lola and Coco Puff
-and 3 special Sheltie Angels...Sable, Megan and Lacey Jane
-and 2 special Chihuahua Angels.....Callie (Chunky Monkey) and little Peanut and 1 special Pittie angel....Dixie Doo

Posted Image

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
QUOTE (TigresMeow @ Nov 20 2007, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish I lived closer to you, Diana.  I would help you walk the fields looking for them and if we could get one or more of them to come to us, I would move mountains to find a place for them...even if I had to add them to my own pack for a while.

Thank you Katie, I know you and everyone else here would help me in anyway you can and that is why I post my rescue's here.  I know nothing about rescue other then what my heart tells me to do, at times I am in panic mode I don't even know what I am doing, the other day I left my window's down with my purse in the front seat. I am pulling over to the side of the roads that are covered in broken glass, nails etc, driving against traffic no less.  I am walking the fields in open sandals, etc.

I know I said my husband would never allow me to take in another animal when I first rescued Angel and it was tough in the beginning, then for sure I knew he would never allow me to bring in another dog (and I truly did not want another dog), but then came Annabelle and I have to be honest, my husband wasn't as angry and hurt about me not respecting his wishes with Annabelle as he was with Angel.  BUT I can say with ALL certainty he will NOT allow me to bring home another dog/cat/bird or mouse.  

I just keep praying I will come into money one day so I can buy land and build a rescue/retreat for all the strays I find.  I do a lot of self thinking as I drive to/from work and I often think, if I had the money/rescue I would do nothing other then drive around all day looking for the strays to save.  (for now all I can do is dream and try to save one at a time).

Okay talking about how much I love animals, my own fur-kids are downstairs wondering what happened to me, I told them I will be right back (Daddy is in NY this week and they are left with me lol)..

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

maribeth

maribeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi Diana,
I share your worry and heartbreak for those homeless dogs and think you are really someone special.  I foster cats in california and somehow all the strays in the neighborhood have found our home and we also put out bowls of food and water in the yard for our "feral family", although most of them will now let us at least pet them but won't come inside.  When I don't see one of them for a day or two I worry about them.  I just don't understand how people can abandon their dogs, cats etc.  You are doing such a wonderfull and compassionate thing for those dogs and it is a blessing to them each day that you feed them and take care of them!!!

Kathy and Tigger

Kathy and Tigger

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 258 posts
"Things are going to get emotionally tough on me, the more I see them and can't help them, the more harder things will become for me to handle. I will keep you informed, thank you for all your support and ..."

Diane, don't think for a minute you aren't helping these critters.  They are getting SAFE food and water and the 2 that fear people are getting a chance to meet one that isn't going to hurt them.  Remember the song 'The Rose' and hum it  to yourself everytime you start to get overwhelmed. Leaving oneself open to caring is one of the hardest things to do.

You and family have an awesom turkey-day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users