Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Butch Perkins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
450 replies to this topic

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 3,564 posts
QUOTE(kmperk9 @ Mar 29 2007, 04:42 AM) View Post

Last night, Butch did something that just made me SOOOOO Happy!! He played with me! He hasn't done that in over a year!!!!!

WHOO HOO!!!! banana.gif  That is SO cool!!  I remember when Orion got so sick with unregulated diabetes, that he could hardly walk without lying down...I missed him running to escape outside. As much as it was a pain to chase him down smile.gif it was part of his mischievious personality, and I missed it. The day that he ran for the first time in many months, I was very happy.

I love the collage of pics of Butch playing smile.gif They are SO cute!!! I hope you have many more play sessions together shortly smile.gif

Tracy  heart.gif  stripekitty.gif

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
Butch has been doing so well! I'm almost sceptical to see him doing so well compared to the condition he was in just months ago! But I'm not going to question it! I'm just going to enjoy it!

He hasn't played with me today... but I know we have to take baby steps, so I'm being patient. I'm going to attempt getting a blood glucose check on him tonight with the new glucomenter. However, if I can't get this ear prick business down, there is the possibility I could start drawing a drop of blood from a vein in his back leg. I consulted one of the doctors I work with and he said that shouldn't affect the reading results! We'll see. I'd rather master the ear prick technique since I have all these lancets and whatnot as opposed to having to purchase syringes to collect blood with. I'd rather SAVE money, if you know what I mean!

Speaking of saving money.... B/c I've actually been ABLE to save a little money lately thanks to IMOM and all of its BEAUTIFUL angles..... I think I'm going to splurge and order Butch (and the other kitties) some NANNERS!!!! banana.gif  woo hoo!!!!!! So... tell me, where is the best website to order these fabulous kitty delicacies? lol, b/c I KNOW you all know!!!!! tongue.gif

Lynette

Lynette

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
Kirsten,

duckyworld.com is the website but I don't know if you can order from them.  They also have a store locater on the website...

Give your kids some smootchies - Ambrose is very kissable!!!

Lynette

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
Lynette- Ambrose IS very kissable!!! He especially LOVES to have his belly kissed! Butch prefers the top of his head! lol He's self-conscious about his belly!!!

Well, I did it... 3 YEOWWW! nanners and one YEOWWW! Rainbow toy are on their way to Butch, Ambrose, Precious, and Boots! smile.gif they will be SOOO delighted!
banana.gif

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
*sigh* Butch isn't feeling very good today. :(

I got up this morning to feed him and give him his insulin injection and he wasn't anywhere to be found. Normally, he's waiting for me in the kitchen in front of the pantry door. Today I found him in the litter box. He had thrown up in there and then had some extremely smelly diarhea. I woke my dad up to come hold him while I did a blood glucose check. It took me a couple of time... I don't think my ear-pricking device is operating correctly..... But we finally got a good blood drop, and the reading was 380. :(

That's pretty high compared to his last curve which had him in the 100-200 range all day. I'm not going to freak out too much though b/c it has been a LOT higher in the past. Plus, I know that we had weaned him down to just 1 unit of insulin twice a day a month ago when he was getting sick. He used to ger 2 units twice a day. SO... I'm going to cut back on his food today (he's not hungry anyway) and I'm not going to give him any treats. I had already planned to take him into work with me tomorrow to get his vaccines, so I'm going to ask the Doc if it's okay to increase his insulin a little again.

I'll take another reading tonight before I go to bed, and I'll also take one tomorrow morning before he gets vaccinated (I can't take anymore after he gets vaccinated b/c the vaccines will mess up the results). Then we'll just see what the doc has to say.

He's scheduled to go in for a full glucose curve on Tuesday, April 10th.... so, hopefully by then his levels will be in a better place. It's my goal to get him completely regulated by the summer. His levels have been all over the place for the past year... I just want to get him regulated so the poor fella feels better and doesn't have to have all these bouts of upset tummy. :(

Everyone, please send some positive energy Butch's way! I don't like it when my meezer feels sicky poo.

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,564 posts
Hi Kirsten,

I'm sorry that Butch is feeling poorly  sad.gif Positive get-well thoughts are being sent his way. I hope he's feeling better soon.

hugs.gif

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Hi Kirsten,

I'm so sorry to hear Butch is feeling dumpy. You have the perfect goal to try and get him stabilized and you can bet our good thoughts and energy are being sent!

Please give your Meezer some gentle chin rubs from us!

Hugs,

heart.gif

Martha Jane, Baila, and Crew

ps. Your efforts and energy helping new PINS is VERY SWEET and Very appreciated!

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
Thanks Tracy and Martha Jane.
I feel so blah today! I wanted to get another glucose check on Butch last night before I went to bed, but no one would help me, and I can't do it by myself. I need someone to hold the grump still! Then this morning I asked my mom to help me by holding him so I could get a check before I took him to work for his vaccines. She was so rude to me and acted like I was putting her out!
And then, of course, I couldn't get a big enough blood drop. I tried four times. I'm not sure if my lancet poker device thingy (can't think of the appropriate name right now) is functioning properly.
My mom was getting all huffy and told me to just have it done at work when I get there. I couldn't make her understand that the 40minute ride to the vet was going to stress Butch out so much that reading wouldn't be as accurate as it would be at home where he feels secure.
But it looks like that is what I'm going to have to do anyway! B/c it was stressing him out more b/c of how long it was taking us to get a good sized blood drop. I hated pricking his ear so many times. Plus, I'm sure he was feeding off of mine and my mother's stress!
I just wish there was one other person in the house as enthusiastic about these things as I am. I feel so outnumbered and overwhelmed here!
I really hope Butch feels okay today, b/c all the vaccines he's about to get are certainly going to make him feel like crap!

p.s. The most dreadful thing happened to me yesterday. I found a dead cat. :( I had put straw down over my lily beds last fall to keep them insulated during the winter and I went outside to rake it all off and bag it up so my lilies could breath.... and nestled down in the straw against the side of the house was a dead cat. :( I was mortified and heartbroken. I can only assume it curled up in the straw against the house during the winter to try to stay warm.... and it just didn't stay warm enough. :(  I had to leave the house and make someone else dispose of John Doe Kitty before I could stomache going back to my yard work.

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
Today was just an icky no good day.

I was supposed to take Butch to work with me today for his annual vaccines, but he was ill. :(
I tried to check his BG at home before taking him to work, but his ears just don't bleed. So I checked it at work when I got there. I also checked it with the special feline glucometer we have at work. there was a difference of about 30 between the two meters. Dr. Porter told me to go ahead and use and go by the human meter I have... since it's what I have and I'll be using it more often. She also wants me to start pulling blood from the vein in his leg as opposed to pricking his ear, so I guess I"ll be emailing my case worker about sending the lancets back so that someone else who needs them can use them.

Anyway, his glucose levels had risen again from when we reduced his insulin dose. So we bumped that back up to 2 units twice a day. We did a uranalysis, and it came back normal, except that the glucose levels were higher than last month's levels. We did a schirmer tear test as well b/c he had started getting scabby, dry excoriations around his eyes, and the results came back 8 and 9. For those that don't know, the schirmer tear test measures tear production.... you generally want it to be around 15 in each eye. So, my results tell me that Butch has VERY dry eyes, so I took home a tube of artificial tears that I'm supposed to apply to his eyes 6 times a day(when in the world am I going to have time to do that!).

His teeth are also worse than ever. He has severely infected gums, decaying teeth, and major root exposure. He really needs to have dental surgery, but b/c his glucose isn't regulated, he wouldn't survive the procedure. :( It just breaks my heart to pieces!! I took home a bottle of clavamox antibiotic to help with the infection in his mouth, but that's really all I can do at this point.  Dr. Porter told me that if we could get his glucose to stabalize then we could attempt the surgery to fix his mouth... but there are still great risks b/c of the diabetes and his age (he's 15).

I'm just so mad at myself b/c if I had known about the importance of brushing your pet's teeth at a younger age, I could have prevented this! Instead, my ignorance is causing Butch pain. I can't put him under anasthesia b/c of his diabetes.... the horrid teeth are complicating his diabetes and making him sick.... I can't brush them NOW b/c it's far too painful at this point. All I can do is give him anti-biotics to help with the infection, and try my hardest to get his glucose levels stabalized. Then we can weigh the risks of dental surgery..... :/

Tomorrow morning I'm going to check his glucose before I go to school to see if there is any difference from yesterday since we upped the insulin dose. I hope my mom cooperates with me this time. I told her all about what happened at work today, and all she could say was how she was worried about the money that this was costing and that he's probably just gonna get worse....

I'm sorry, but who's money is she worried about?? She's not spending any money! I spent a little over $100 on him today... unfortunately that was money I had saved up for a dental procedure I need for myself.... But I'll just reschedule it when I have the money for it again.  IMOM and the lovely angels here are going to be paying for the glucose curve he has next Tuesday.... not my mother. So, why is she still acting like he's dying?

It really just pisses me off. I'm over here working so hard, and trying so hard to stay positive. I have a lot of stress in my life right now. I've been pretty ill off and on all year and I really need to go to the doctor. I need to have work done on my teeth. I'm dealing with personal and emotional issues. The juggling act with school and work is starting to fall apart, and I"m not getting any sleep. I could really use her SUPPORT right now... not her constant nagging and attempts to make me feel bad about all of this. Is it so much to ask for a little help and positive energy? I'm not asking for her money!

Sorry for the rant. I'm just exhausted and feeling completely downtrodden.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Hi Kirsten, I'm so sorry that Butch is having such a hard time right now. I truly know how hard and exhausting it is to try and juggle care for a kitty who has multiple health issues. Sometimes I feel like I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. It's really hard to go through this, and my heart goes out to you.

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Hi Kirsten,

Boy I hope you somehow get some sort of a break soon. I know how hard it can be to deal with furkid troubles when you live by yourself and that is plenty hard enough, but it seems like it would be sooo much harder to live with people who seem against your efforts.

It sounds like your mother hates seeing you have to struggle so much that she'd rather see the cat gone than see you have to struggle. Try to be patient with her. Even if we don't like her lack of supportiveness, she is probably torn on what she thinks is best for you and really doesn't know how to respond. I know that doesn't make it any easier from your end in the meantime and I hope she comes around soon.

Our heart sure goes out to you.

Hang in there! We're out here rooting for you!

heart.gif

MarthaJane, Baila, and Crew

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,564 posts
Hi Kirsten,

You could use some  hugs.gif

I'm sorry that you've got so much stress going on in your life right now. It's difficult, at best, caring for a kitty with multiple health problems, some of which may complicate one or more of his other health problems. But to be ill yourself and stressed on top of that makes it that much tougher. I hope things get better for you and Butch. You're a wonderful, caring Mommy to your sweet boy.

Hopefully the antibiotics will help his dental issues and break the vicious cycle. My Cody has some really inflamed gums, but putting him under for a dental is pretty much out of the question because of his kidneys. So that's what we've been doing - hitting it with antibiotics and hoping that will help. So far, they seem to be working OK. We're hoping that Butch will have the same success.

I hope that eventually, your mother will understand how much her support would mean to you, and will be more positive and supportive to you and Butch.

I hope things turn around for you and Butch very soon.

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
Hello Everyone... Thanks for the encouragment. I think it's going to be a loooooong week!

Laurie, I feel the same way most of the time! It is really exhausting, and I'm never sure if what I do makes him feel better or worse! I just keep telling myself it's the right thing to do, and I'd never be able to live with myself if I didn't try!

MarthaJane... I know my mom cares, and you're probably right... I just really wish she could be supportive of me. It seems like every time I do something that I want her to be proud of, she finds some criticism.... it was never worth it, or some such thing, and this is with all aspects of my life! This morning, I asked her to restrain Butch so I could pull a drop of blood from his hind leg, and afterwards (it only took a second), I was all proud and excited at how much easier, quicker, and less stressful drawing blood was that way. I was gushing to her about it, and all she could say was "now I have alcohol all over me." >|  I had poured a little rubbing alcohol on butch's leg before I drew the blood to sterilize it, and when it was over, she held him in her lap so I could put artificial tears in his eyes. When he jumped down he had left a little wet spot of alcohol on her leg. OMG. It DRIES!
She wasn't even impressed that his blood glucose levels had gone back down to 250. grrr!

Tracy, I DO hope the antibiotics will help with Butch's teeth some! Dr. McMaine has butch on a pules treatment so he gets antibiotics for one week each month. We started last month. So, this is his second round, I guess. His teeth are truly terrible. :( They are so decayed and infected! I feel so guilty! I also picked up some CET chews for him while I was at work in the hopes that THAT might help his teeth a little too. CET is a brand of medically formulated dental chew (they make them for dogs and cats) that is very effective and only sold in vet clinics. My dogs and other cats love them(and it really helps to give them a chew after I brush their teeth as a "reward"). Butch seems to like them too, and since it's too painful for me to brush his teeth now... I hope that will work in a similar way. I'm glad the antibiotics are working for Cody! It makes you feel so powerless to know that it's too dangerous to put your baby under. Maybe you should ask your vet about CET chews!!! They are really great! I reccomend them 100%!! CET also makes a very good pet toothpaste and oral rinse! They really work wonders! If your vet doesn't carry them and you're interested in trying them out, I could prolly send you some samples! smile.gif

Well, I have to get ready to go now... Class and then work... It's gonna be a lonnnnng day.

Thanks again for the encouragement everyone!
And thank you angels for making this worry session possible! lol

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
I have a little fresh hope today. I got up and fed Butch and gave him his injection this morning like normal. But I've not been feeling well, so I went back to bed for a couple of hours afterwards. Well, Butch wanted to come in my room with me, so I kicked the other cats out and let him in. I got into bed and all of a sudden I heard this rustling and thumping and other weird noises. I sat up and looked around for Butch but couldn't see him, I finally crawled to the foot of my bed and he was on the ground, playing with the space rug! haha, he was bunching it up and attacking the bunches! He's scratch at them then flog on the floor at them. It was so cute! Almost like what he used to do with bed covers!
When he was finished showing the rug who was boss, he got up in bed with me and nestled in under the covers on my chest. He hasn't done that in over a year! I was so happy. He purred me back to sleep.
Now, he's being a cranky butt again, but it's all okay! smile.gif

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY!!!!!

banana.gif NANNERS!!!!! banana.gif

That's right! The nanners came in the mail today. I ordered three and one rainbow! Would you like to see what the kitty babies thought of this fabulous surprise????

[attachmentid=2387]
Butch says, "what is this? For me????"

[attachmentid=2388]
"Let me get a closer look!"

[attachmentid=2389]
Ambrose says,"Let me help bro."

[attachmentid=2390]
"WOW!!! Look what's inside!"

[attachmentid=2391]
"it's NANNERS!!! (and a rainbow)"

NANNER ATTACK TIME!!!! PREPARE FOR INSANITY!!!!

[attachmentid=2392]
[attachmentid=2393]
[attachmentid=2394]
[attachmentid=2395]
[attachmentid=2396]
[attachmentid=2397]
[attachmentid=2398]
[attachmentid=2399]
[attachmentid=2400]
[attachmentid=2401]

And finally....
[attachmentid=2402]
Utterly exhausted.. napping with nanner pillows!

[attachmentid=2403]
"Are you SURE there's no more in here???"

Attached Files

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Oh Kirsten, those are kitties in weed heaven.  GREAT PICS!  Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you've discovered the nanner magic!

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
QUOTE(Baila @ Apr 6 2007, 04:27 AM) View Post

Oh Kirsten, those are kitties in weed heaven.  GREAT PICS!  Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you've discovered the nanner magic!

Hehe, I'm glad you liked the pics! I'm afraid I'm a bit of a picture taking fiend! lol I have a couple more I plan on posting of the regal man later tonight! smile.gif

They certainly enjoy the nanner magic! That is for sure. They played for hours last night. I think they are all thouroughly exhausted today! Everyone of them is sleeping still!  I just hope Butch didn't over-exert himself, since he doesn't really get much exercise anymore.... He wasn't very hungry this morning... I think he's just being a cranky old man though....

Good news! Dr. Porter donated me a box full of 25 guage needles, so I should be able to get blood for Butch's glucose curves anytime I need to! I'm taking him to work with me on Tuesday the 9th for a full glucose curve, but that will be the last one I do AT the hospital b/c of you wonderful saints for sending me my own glucometer!  Thank you so much!  I'll have to talk with IMOM's diabetic pets board to figure out how that will change the amount of funding Butch needs.... smile.gif

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,564 posts
Hi Kirsten,

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful collage of kitty pics!! Such happy, weed-crazy kitties smile.gif I love all those pics! I'm glad the babies enjoy their nanners and rainbow.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
LOVE the photos! roll.gif

They are all great, but I think my favorite is the one of Butch tangled up in the kitty toy cord, with two nanners laying on him and a rainbow behind him. His expression is priceless -- definitely high on catnip!

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
[attachmentid=2463]

Here's a recent picture of me and Butch (i'm not wearing makeup, so don't judge too harshly!). We don't have a lot of pictures together b/c he HATES being picked up. He loves crawling into laps or on feet, but can't stand being picked up and held.

He seems to be doing pretty well today. His eyes are clearing up. We've got a heating pad plugged in for him to sleep on. The old man gets so cold!

Hope everyone is having a happy easter!

Attached Files

Edited by kmperk9, 08 April 2007 - 04:49 PM.

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
QUOTE(LaurieAdrienne @ Apr 7 2007, 11:40 AM) View Post

LOVE the photos! roll.gif

They are all great, but I think my favorite is the one of Butch tangled up in the kitty toy cord, with two nanners laying on him and a rainbow behind him. His expression is priceless -- definitely high on catnip!

Laurie, that's my favorite one too!! I LOVE seeing him enjoying himself! I've missed his playfulness!

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Hi Kirsten Mari, (which is a lovely name!)

Another wonderful pic. Gee, it's hard to decide which of you is more beautiful but you both define the word.

It's been really great to see you all over the place around here encouraging everyone. You are the ideal kind of appllicant. Again, we're really glad you found IMOM!

Glad to hear Butch is doing better. Give him some rubs from us!

heart.gif

Lynette

Lynette

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
Hi Kirsten,

Those pics were so much fun.  I can't remember the b/w kitty's name but he is looking totally demonic in one of those pics.  They really had a good time didn't they?

I agree with Martha Jane...you are most definitely an asset to the IMOM community.

Please give your kids some cuddles and smootchies from me.

Lynette

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,564 posts
Hi Kirsten,

That's a great pic of you and Butch! I'm glad he put up with being picked up and held long enough for that picture to be taken. I'm glad that his eyes are clearing up, too. Oh, that's cool, Butch has his own heating pad!  banana.gif So does my Cody. He uses it a lot.

I hope you and the kitties had a very Happy Easter! smile.gif

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
Hello everyone!!!  Sorry I've been MIA for the past couple of days. I'm house/dog sitting for a co-worker of mine right now who is taking a trip to Japan! Her computer has dial-up and it is pretty slow, so it's been hard for me to get time to post as much as I like to. I've falling way behind on reading everyone's threads! So, hopefully I'll be able to start catching up soon!!!

Tracy, I don't know why we didn't think of having a heating pad for Butch before now!!!! He's been so cold natured his whole life. It just occured to us a few days ago... silliness! lol, I'm glad Cody enjoys his heating pad too!!!

Lynette, the demonic looking b/w kitty with the bobbed tail is Boots the second. He's my morbidly obese kitty. He was up to 22 pounds but I've had him on a pretty strict diet and exercise plan. I've gotten him down to 15 lbs so far! woo hoo!!! He REALLY hates me right now!!! haha. Oh, and all the kitties loved their cuddles!

Martha Jane, thank you so much for the lovely compliments. Butch is basking in his own pride at the moment! lol I really enjoy reading everyone's threads and trying to give encouragement where I can. I know how frantic I was when I finally found IMOM. I had completely run out of time, and I was hysterical. I don't know how I made it through the application process!!! I know how scary it was for me... and I know that for some people, they're coming here with no time left, so I want to try to help as soon as I see that there's someone out there with no options left....I don't know if I'm making a difference, but we've gotta try!

Butch had his monthly glucose curve today. It went SO WELL!!! It started out kind of scary though... Since, I"m house-sitting in Lexington, my dad brought Butch up to the hospital this morning and I met him there. I took Butch straight in and got him set up to start his curve right away before I had to clock in to work. His first glucose check was 33!!! I couldn't possibly believe that was accurate b/c as my doctor said, that's not a reading that "could sustain life." So I did the check again and it came back exactly the same!  So, I ran another check on our internal organ function screen to check the glucose on there... it came back 37!!! I was FREAKING OUT!!!!

I called mom and found out that they gave him the two units of insulin this morning like normal, but that he DIDN'T EAT ANY BREAKFAST!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!! So, I ran over to petsmart and got some hill's a/d and offered it to him and he gobbled up half a can in no time flat! He was STARVING! Two hours later I checked his glucose again and it had worked its way up to 79. two hours later it was 125, two hours later 124 and then two hours later it was 141.

smile.gif
THOSE were GREAT numbers! I was so happy. And he was so affectionate and full of himself. My doc told me that if his numbers stayed that good (minus the scare early this morning b/c of the NOT EATING) then we could consider scheduling his dental procedure to remove all of his rotting teeth! YAY!!! I totally did my happy dance!!! smile.gif

Next month, I'll be able to do his whole glucose curve at home. that way he'll be happier and less stressed, and the results will be more accurate. Everyone cross your fingers that his levels stay in the 100's!!! And especially cross your fingers that he remains healthy enough to get vaccinated (Doc still says she doesn't want to vaccinate him yet) and to also get his dental surgery!!!! I'll be so relieved if he is able to get his dental surgery! His poor mouth is SO infected and painful! :( It just breaks my heart.

But he's home now, and according to my family doing very well. And they made sure to feed him BEFORE they gave him his nightly injection!!!!

Well, I'm tuckered out now! I'm going to try to catch up on some of the threads I"m behind on, and then I'm going to bed!!! I'll see you all later!

And as always... THANK YOU ANGELS!!!! You've made my dreams come true!!!!!

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,564 posts
QUOTE(kmperk9 @ Apr 10 2007, 06:19 PM) View Post

His first glucose check was 33!!! I couldn't possibly believe that was accurate b/c as my doctor said, that's not a reading that "could sustain life." So I did the check again and it came back exactly the same!  So, I ran another check on our internal organ function screen to check the glucose on there... it came back 37!!! I was FREAKING OUT!!!!

Hi Kirsten

Oh my gosh!!  ohmy.gif That is scary!! I'm glad you were at the vet's office when you got that reading. Same thing happened to my Orion, my first diabetic and now at the Bridge. We were at the vet's getting a BG test done and it came in at 36!

I'm glad the curve went well. Once Butch ate, the rest of those numbers are really good. I hope he gets stabilized enough so he can get his dental and his vaccinations.

You and Butch have a great night smile.gif

Rottendogs

Rottendogs

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 638 posts
And especially cross your fingers that he remains healthy enough to get vaccinated

Hi Kirsten,
Let's talk about vaccinating Butch. Have you considered running titers for the diseases that you'd vaccinate him for and seeing if he even needs the vaccinations? I know titers are more expensive than vaccinations, but I'm sure Butch's sponsor would help out if needed. It seems to me that stressing his immune system with vaccinations that he might not even need wouldn't be a good thing.
Celia

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts

Celia, I have thought about this, but I'm not sure which way I should proceed at the moment.... My doctors are refusing to give Butch vaccines at this time anyway, so I know that is out of the question for the time being.... I have several other questions that I need to ask IMOM that would affect the cost of Butch's care, but I have not been able to get a hold of my case worker lately. I don't want to make any decisions yet without talking to her or another imom representative to figure out what I CAN do. But I have been thinking about titers, and that was one of the questions I meant to ask when I hear from her. Thank you so much for your concern Celia!!!  Although I think Butch is cussing you right now for trying to give me more ideas to "torture" him with. lol smile.gif

kmperk9

kmperk9

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 754 posts
Hello everyone! I've been in Lexington all week house/dog sitting for a friend, but I got the day off today, so I just HAD to make a trip down to Paris to visit my babies! I get so sad without their happy little faces. So, I'm at home right now, surrended by little furry children. Butch was SO happy to see me! Mom says he has been so perky ever since he came home from the hospital on Tuesday! And he certainly does seem extra affectionate!!! His eyes look great too! All the scabbiness is gone and they don't look dry anymore! I'm still going to be giving him eyedrops (just on a less frequent basis) to prevent anymore dry eye issues! He's got a real bounce in his step today and is all purrs! It makes me so happy to see him like this! Everyone keep your fingers crossed that this upward swing continues without end! lol Let's keep these levels regulated!!! smile.gif

Ambrose man is being EXTREMELY affectionate too! He has been SO jealous of Butch lately. Butch has always been very independent and stoic, but Ambrose is deffinitely a mama's boy! haha. Great big maine coon that he is, he needs constant attention and affection! He's in my lap right now, purring and holding on for dear life (he likes to give hugs). He's going to be so depressed when I leave again in a few hours!!! :( Here's another reason to hope Butch continues to feel better!!! The better BUtch feels, the more attention I can give Ambrose! lol

Well, I better go now and do some bonding. smile.gif Have a great day everyone!

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,564 posts
Hi Kirsten,

I'm glad you had today off and had some time to spend with your fur babies. I'll bet you miss them when you're away. That's great that Butch is doing so well!  banana.gif All paws and fingers crossed that he continues on this upswing.

Ah, give poor jealous Ambrose some extra scritches from me. lol  biggrin.gif Give hugs to all your babies too.

hugs.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users