Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Kitz At Rainbow Bridge

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,660 posts
This topic was copied and pasted from our old community on 7/14/06

laurieadrienne
Local user
(7/8/06 10:33 am)
Reply  My CRF Kitty "Kitz"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone, I have a few questions and I just know this is the place to get answers!

Last September my hubby and I adopted a 15-year-old rescue kitty named Kitz. Kitz had a very hard life before coming to live with us. He was poorly socialized and was probably abused. He had been surrendered to his vet for euthanization because his people just didn't want him anymore. Fortunately, the vet tech on duty at the time of his surrender rescued him and fostered him until he was able to find us.

When we adopted him, we knew he was in early stages of renal failure. We've monitored this and maintained his slightly elevated kidney enzymes with special kidney diet foods.

Now, however, the renal failure is progressing and he must receive sub-q fluids three times a week.

We have been working hard with him over the past 8 months to gain his trust and socialize him. It was a tough road at first (I got chomped on pretty good a few times!) but now, thank goodness, he loves and trusts us, so administering the fluids is not a problem. He is very good and patient, and so far has been very cooperative about receiving the fluids.

But, because I'm a newbie at this, I have questions.

The fluid he's been prescribed is "Lactated Ringer's." I'm sort of assuming this is a standard for CRF kitties???

I'm wondering if there's a place anyone knows of to buy this online at a discounted price. Kitz is in very good health besides the CRF, so even though he's 16 now, I expect him to be with us for a long time yet. It would be nice if I could order the fluids maybe several bags at a time to save some $$$.

Also, a question re: needles. The vet gave us Monoject needles, but I saw on CRF kitty Wally Badolato's thread that someone posted about using Terumo needles, which are sharper. Can someone tell me how I go about finding needles besides the ones I can get from my vet? I have no idea even where I'd look in the Yellow Pages. This is new territory for me!

I'd of course like to do everything I can do minimize any pain or discomfort that Kitz might experience from receiving the fluids, so any general advice or suggestions would also be extremely appreciated.

Here are a few pix of Kitz. He has turned into such a lovey purry boy. My hubby and I love him so much! We feel so fortunate that he's joined our family.

Laurie
IPB Image

IPB Image

Kim  
Local user
(7/8/06 12:54 pm)
Reply  Re: My CRF Kitty "Kitz"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laurie -- You guys have hearts bigger than the great outdoors.... but then we already knew that.  

Knowing Juli is a useful thing. She's not only a pretty good adopter  , but she can tell you where to get stuff for cheap! Here's the link for Brico Medical Supplies: www.bricomedicalsupplies.com/CRFpage.html You can order a box of fluids (12 bags of Lactated Ringers) for $23 plus shipping. They also carry the Terumo needles. You need a prescription from your vet -- when I asked my vet about a script for Teddie, she said she'd honor the Brico prices and I got the supplies from her.

Blinks to Mr. Kitz!  

Linda IMOM  
Committee Volunteer
(7/8/06 4:44 pm)
  Re: My CRF Kitty "Kitz"
Laurie - Kitz is very handsome! Looks like he as all the best immedities - I see a treadmilll (with a copy of Cat Fancy?) and a bike as well as a very large massage table with a view!

Looks like he's VERY happy with you and no, he doesn't look like a senior, for all he's been through, he looks terrific.
Collie Hugs - Linda IMOM

laurieadrienne
Local user
(7/8/06 6:25 pm)
Reply  Re: My CRF Kitty "Kitz"
Kim, thank you so much for sharing the info about Brico. I will contact my vet on Monday and ask for a script. Muchas, muchas gracias.

Linda, you are so right about Kitz's "private lounge and spa." I love the first photo of him on the table -- er, I mean massage table -- because his look is totally, "This is my table. Ya got a problem with that?" In the second photo he was being goofy and lovey. Major elevator butt because he was receiving excellent skritchies.

Laurie

Juli IMOM  
Board of Directors
(7/8/06 6:32 pm)
Reply  Kitz
Hi Laurie,

What a very handsome and lucky boy Kitz is. I see he gets to lay on the table just like the spoiled rotten Beatty cats.

Kim beat me to it. I was going to tell you to order from Brico Medical Supplies. IMOM orders fluids for the CRF PINs from Brico. I also got my IV lines and needles from Brico for my CRF kitty Button. I was lucky to get the fluids, aka lactated ringers from a friend who works for a medical supply company. Brico carries the Terumo needles which I loved.

As for administration, my best advice is to find a nice place where you can hang the bag up high and Kitz can sit comfortably. We used to give Button's her fluids on a little cat perch which overlooked our backyard. The outdoor animals kept her entertained. Sometimes we used treats to distract her too while she was getting fluids.

Sending kisses for Kitz.

Juli

k9sign  
(7/8/06 10:15 pm)
Reply  Re: Kitz
Hi Laurie,
I don't have any advice--I have given lots of SQ fluids to puppers, but not kitties. But, I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU and BLESS YOU--for adopting a very senior kitty and one with known kidneys issues to boot.
U are a special person and Kitz is such a lucky little fella--and by the looks of him, u are lucky too--but then u know that!!!!!
Good luck--sounds like u are doing great.
Hugs to Kitz!

Kim  
Local user
(7/9/06 9:02 pm)
Reply  Re: Kitz
Laurie, I love the look on his face too. Like he'd be whipping out his AARP card and demanding his Senior Citizen Discount with the Early Bird Special.  Go Kitz!!
Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
So we placed an order for Terumo needles and they should be here early next week. I'm happy because I can tell Kitz isn't too thrilled when I use the Monoject needles that the vet gave us. He is so sweet and patient, though, when he's getting the fluids. It's getting less and less scary each time I have to stick him.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your advice, suggestions, and recommendations. Kitz and I sincerely appreciate it.

Laurie

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Hey Laurie, we need a Kitz update!  How is your boy doing?

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Thanks for checking in, Auntie Kim!

Kitz is doing great. He is responding incredibly well to the fluids. His appetite has increased dramatically (oink oink!) and he's not vomiting at all. His energy has really picked up too, and he's charging around the house like he's a kitten instead of a 16-year-old gentleman kitty. In fact, one of my current frequently-used nicknames for him is "Sassy."

Every time I have to give him fluids, I say a grateful thank you to those of you who recommended Terumo needles. They just slip in "like buttah" and I don't think he really even notices much.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieAdrienne, 11 August 2006 - 11:29 PM.

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
What a good report!!  We love those sassy old farts.  Kitz is the Sean Connery of the cat world.   happy.gif

like buttah
  laugh.gif  LOL -- Brooklyn by way of California

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
Ahh the wonders of fluids....

I loved the Terumos also.  Well, as much as you can love a huge needle you have to shove into your kitty.

Sending a few kisses for Kitz.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
QUOTE(Kim @ Aug 12 2006, 01:49 AM) View Post

Kitz is the Sean Connery of the cat world.

... except he has a LOT more hair on his head!  

Uh oh, don't get me going again, or I'll be posting pictures of Sean Connery with Kitz sitting on his head (similar to those I posted of Callie Ripkin perched atop Cal Ripken Jr's head).

Laurie

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
QUOTE(LaurieAdrienne @ Aug 12 2006, 12:50 PM) View Post

... except he has a LOT more hair on his head!  

Uh oh, don't get me going again, or I'll be posting pictures of Sean Connery with Kitz sitting on his head (similar to those I posted of Callie Ripkin perched atop Cal Ripken Jr's head).

Laurie

ROFL!!!  The kilt -- don't forget the kilt!  

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
I just couldn't resist....  biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
Ah, that is funny!!!!  You have quite the knack of putting cats on bald men.  Keep up the good work.  LOL

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
QUOTE(Juli IMOM @ Aug 13 2006, 11:11 AM) View Post

Keep up the good work.  LOL

It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!   laugh.gif

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
QUOTE(LaurieAdrienne @ Aug 13 2006, 01:31 PM) View Post

I just couldn't resist....  biggrin.gif

IPB Image

OMG, OMG, OMG........ bladder emptied!!!!!

"Why Sean laddie, you seem to have a wee furpiece atop yer head..."  LOL

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
... when you said 'FURpiece,' you weren't kidding! Hahahaa!!!

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
It looks like Kitz is holding on to Sean's tiny bit of hair on the side of his head.  

My stomach hurts from laughing so hard....

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
I took Kitz in on Monday for his 3-month checkup and renal panel. The good news is, things are looking up!

His BUN is down to 34 -- it was 46 in July. Since normal is in the 36 range, this is great.

His creatinine is still high at 3.2 -- but it's down from 3.5 in July. So again, I feel good about this number, even though normal would be less than 2.5. I hope this "downward trend" will continue.

Kitz's vet was very happy to see these numbers. Me too -- I love this sassy (and slightly grumpy) old dude.

Here's a photo of Kitz from this morning, sacked out on mom's comfy (and fur-covered, haha) sweat pants.

IPB Image

carol

carol

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 363 posts
Cheers for good numbers for Kitz the senior guy.  If you were that age, you'd just want to relax on mommy's leg too -- how comfortable is that!

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Oh Laurie, what a great photo.  Talk about not a care in the world ......

IPB Image

You've given this old curmudgeon a lot more than just better kidney values.

Rocco says, Cheers to another coot cat!

Lynette

Lynette

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,384 posts
Hi Laurie,

I just got a chance to read about Kitz.  He is a lovely boy and he reminds me so much of my Maxwell Silver Hammer who went to the Bridge in 2002.  I miss Maxie alot and this gave me an opportunity to relive some of my memories.

Thanks,

Lynette

Lynette

Lynette

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,384 posts
Hi Laurie,

I just got a chance to read about Kitz.  He is a lovely boy and he reminds me so much of my Maxwell Silver Hammer who went to the Bridge in 2002.  I miss Maxie alot and this gave me an opportunity to relive some of my memories.

Thanks,

Lynette

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Hi Lynette, thank you for stopping by and saying hi. I love Maxwell's full name! I'm sure you miss your baby, and I'm glad Kitz was able to help you travel memory lane a bit -- I'm sure you have lots of happy, happy memories of your boy.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Dear wonderful kitty aunties, I wanted to let you know that our sweet and beloved Kitz crossed the Rainbow Bridge today. Larry and I gave him the ultimate gift of love by helping him on his way.

Yesterday Kitz apparently suffered a stroke. He was fine in the morning and then I found him in the afternoon unable to get up. There is so much I could tell you about our last two days together, but I think the most important things are that he did not suffer a long and slow decline from illness, and that we shared SO much love the last two days in spite of his physical condition. I do not believe he was in pain (in fact I am confident of it). But it became very apparent overnight that this was not something he was going to recover from, and there is no way that Larry and I would ask him to stay with us when he was unable to use his legs and "be a cat."

It was so sad and hard to say goodbye to him today, but Larry and I both know that we made the right decision for Kitz.

Super Lovey, my sweet Foamy Love, Lovey Lovesicle, we love you so much and we will always miss you. You brought so much happiness and laughter into our lives. Every moment with you was time that we treasured. You made me a better kitty mom in so many ways. You will always be in our hearts.

Here is the last photo I took of our sweet boy.

IPB Image

Rottendogs

Rottendogs

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 638 posts
Run fast Sweet Kitz, and know that you are loved and missed by many. I'm so sorry, Laurie.
Celia

SydsMom

SydsMom

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 2,339 posts
Awww Laurie I am so sorry for your loss. It seems like you did a lot for him and I'm sure he knows how loved he was !!
animcndc_sm.gif  God speed little guy.
Michelle
Charlie & Zoe
P1160249.JPG
Angel Sydney 1-2-10
Sydney2.jpg
Angel Brittany 9-22-07
Brit2.JPG

vickyimom

vickyimom

Board of Directors

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 866 posts
Laurie, I am so very very sorry :((
Godspeed sweet Kitz, watch over Mama and Papa until you see them again on the other side.....
big hugs from the zoo....
Vicky

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Handsome Kitz, you waited a very long time to be really loved and appreciated, but I bet the last 2+ yrs made up for that.  You left with so much love and you will meet even more love where you're going.   rose.gif

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
hugs.gif Laurie. I am so sorry sweet Kitz had to leave for the Rainbow Bridge.  broken_heart.gif  He was, and always will be, very much loved. Run free, Kitz, and watch over your mom and dad until you meet again. You and Larry are in my thoughts.

animcnda_lg.gif

Tracy and Cody  heart.gif  stripekitty.gif

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,921 posts
Laurie,

I am so thankful that Kitz finally got the home he surely deserved and knew what it was like to be loved.  Not many people would have adopted an unsocialized, older, ill cat but you saw past all that, clear into his soul.  I know your heart is broken.  broken_heart.gif   I'm sure our bridgekids met him at the gate and will keep him busy till you see him  again.

Godspeed, sweet boy.  I bet very few kitties have been so loved. animcndc_sm.gif

hugs.gif

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 769 posts
Oh Laurie, I am so sorry to see this.  My your love light his path tonight, I will light a candle in his honor.  Fly free sweet boy.

Many hugs from the bratz and I......

Laura

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
Laurie,

I can feel the love you and Larry had for Kitz in every word you write about him.  He was so lucky to be rescued and then adopted and loved by you both.  I'm sorry your time together was not longer.  His pictures always brought a smile, he seemed so laid back and happy.  A candle shines here in memory of Mr. Kitz.  

Juli

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,274 posts
Oh, Laurie, I am so very very sorry. My heart just breaks for u and Larry.
I am so glad u got 2 days of loads of extra loving in--but even if u hadn't, Kitz knew how much he was loved. Your few years with Kitz made him forget any thing bad in his life.
His life really started when u both adopted him--and what a grand life it was.

The brightest star in the sky tonight will be Kitz.
Be open, and he will let u both know he is watching over u.

Sadly and with love,

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users