Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Simmy Savage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Hi Cheryl, just checking in on you and Simmy. Sounds like his numbers are going in the right direction -- DOWN! Yeah!!!! And am very happy to hear that he's been showing his frisky kitten side. That makes me feel so good!

Angels, in reading back through Simmy's thread, it looks like he has one sponsor for $30, another for $25, and another for $10, for a total of $65 a month. (Thank you sponsors!) So Simmy still needs angels to help him out with an additional $100 per month in sponsorship. If you can help this beautiful black-and-white boy, I know he and his mom would be incredibly grateful.

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Thanks Tracy,

It is definitely something to see the difference.  Sometimes, he is going so fast, I just see black and white like a streak.

He has also been getting into boxes and doing some mischeivous behavior.  I much prefer to see this than a cat being in hiding a lot of the time.  That worries me when he hides.  So, it is a definite good change and the BGs are also welcome.

Thanks again for taking care of the supply order for me.

Hope you enjoyed the holidays.

Cheryl and Simmy magicmoon.gif

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,830 posts
Hi Cheryl, I just read Simmy's thread and saw his picc. I just love B&W cats. I have one named spike and he is a little pistol. He also does the running thru the house at 90 mph and bats at me when I walk by. but when I'm not feeling well he is right there beside me. I sometimes think he thinks he's keeping me warm. I call him my lover kitty cause thats what he is. Simmy sounds so much like him.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. And hugs to you for giving Simmy a lovely life. Your a wonderful Mom.

I'm throwing in a $5.00 monthly donation to help Simmy along.
Deb, Spike(RB 3/13/07), Riley (RB 8/12/13), Tigger, Jake, Tyson and Jax

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 3,567 posts
I'm happy to report that Simmy has another $10 in monthly sponsorships!!  banana.gif That leaves him looking for $90 a month additional. Simmy is definitely on his way to being fully sponsored.

Thanks angels!!  Angel15.gif

Tracy  stripekitty.gif

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi guys,

I wanted to post an update on Simmy and thank the most recent sponsor.  We really appreciate it.  Simmy sends purrs.

Simmy is doing okay, but some low numbers accompanied by a lower than usual appetite have me concerned.  His BG was 76 this morning, 73 last night, and 84 yesterday afternoon.  If he were eating normally, this wouldn't bother me.  But I am having to encourage eating.  I am sure he will bounce back.  If it continues, and even if not, he will need to see the doctor pretty soon for follow-up.

I wanted to thank everyone on here for making Simmy's treatment and buying supplies possible.

Thanks,
Cheryl and Simmy magicmoon.gif

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
QUOTE(Tracy IMOM @ Dec 30 2006, 08:16 PM) View Post

I'm happy to report that Simmy has another $10 in monthly sponsorships!!  banana.gif That leaves him looking for $90 a month additional.

Thank you, wonderful angels, for caring about sweet Simmy!

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi

Just checking in to see how Sweet Simmy is doing.

Kathy

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi guys,

Boy, I hope it hasn't been that long since I have been gone.  I have been quite ill lately.  Simmy, on the other hand, appears to be honeymooning from diabetes.  Sometimes, his numbers are awfully low though.  I need to contact his vet to get him set up to be seen and get the estimate first.  I am trying not to stress too much though, because Simmy's doing well overall.

I switched his food and it seems to have helped.

We had to have some flooring put in in a small area in our kitchen because of a dishwasher disaster.  Thank God, the inspector that missed the leak had to pay for everything.  But Simmy was a little bothered, because his laminate was taken out.  He much preferred the laminate, and he smelled the air because of the smell of the linoleum.  It was pretty cute.  He also has decided that he is going to sit over the heat register in the kitchen.  He always did this, but is doing it more since his laminate has been removed.  Silly cat.

Anyway, he is doing well, and I thought everyone would want to hear about him.

Thanks and until next,
Cheryl magicmoon.gif

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Hi Cheryl,

I'm sorry you've been ill. I hope you're feeling better now.

QUOTE(foursavages @ Jan 6 2007, 05:50 PM) View Post

Simmy, on the other hand, appears to be honeymooning from diabetes.  

Oh wow, that's great news! I hope it lasts forever.

I'm glad that the inspector had to take care of your new flooring, and not you. That's too funny about Simmy smelling the air when the new floor was put in. I'll bet that was cute, as well as him sitting over the register in the kitchen. Cats can be so silly smile.gif

I'm glad he is doing so well. That's great!!

Take care,
Tracy  stripekitty.gif

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
Hi,

I hope I am posting in the right place. I am Simmy's mom. I wanted to update everyone on Simmy. I believe that Simmy is in remission. We have not seen BG levels out of range for awhile. He does need to be seen for follow-up, because his appetite has been up and down--sometimes hardly eating. But for the most part, I am not worried.

I have been extremely ill and this has caused problems with just calling to get an estimate for the first appointment for Simmy. I am hoping to feel better so I can make a phone calls. For now, I am still closely monitoring.

I am so grateful to all of you for supporting Simmy and our family.

Cheryl

Attached thumbnail(s)

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,830 posts
Great news about Simmy. I hope it continues. I'm so sorry you've been ill cheryl. I hope you feel better soon.

We will be thinking of you both

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Cheryl, I'm so sorry to read that you have been so ill. I truly hope you will be feeling much better very soon.

I'm very happy to hear that Simmy's numbers have been good -- but yes, it is worrisome that he's not eating well. I hope the vet can give you some answers about this when Simmy is seen for his checkup.

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Cheryl,

I'm sorry you have been so ill. That's great news about Simmy's regression! I hope it continues, and that you feel better soon.

Tracy  stripekitty.gif

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
Hi,

I am not sure if I am posting in the right place. I wanted to give an update on Simmy for those that are following. He has been doing better, and according to his BGs, he is within normal range for a bit now. He still has a little problem with ups and downs of his appetite. We are thankful that we were able to get supplies for his testing and to the sponsors that made this possible.

I couldn't ask for a better worker than Tracy. This is a difficult time for our family and she has always made time to respond to me. I hope this post is in the right place, but I am going to post more after I am sure. There are a couple of things I wanted to mention about Simmy and what is up with him.

I will do that as soon as I am sure I am in the right place. For now, at least, his BGs are low.

Thanks guys,

Cheryl

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Thanks Tracy.  I was posting in the wrong place about Simmy.  He is doing well with respect to his BG numbers.  They have remained low.  His appetite is up and down.  

Simmy is doing something that is strange for him.  I always have food down for Simmy.  But even with food down, he wakes me at all hours of the night begging for food.  I thought this would stop when his BGs came down.  But it has persisted.  If I didn't have sleep deprivation, this would not be an issue.  But anything wakes me.  My partner has been getting up with him (still wakes me) and he walks downstairs and Simmy begs more.  Then, he actually tells Simmy to eat.  Simmy walks over and starts eating.  And Simmy is in no way attention-starved.  So, it is perplexing.

My partner learned from me that Simmy will eat if you ask him to, but it seems strange that he begs so much.  Even to the point of scratching on the door where the food is stored when there is food right in front of him.

Anyway, we appreciate everything that the sponsors have done and the support.

Cheryl and Simmy

Sorry I was posting in the wrong area. magicmoon.gif

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Hi Cheryl, it's nice to hear from you. I hope you are feeling better.

That's interesting about Simmy and his food. My kitty Bleys does something similar. Sometimes when he's eating, he kind of wanders off and then acts like he's really hungry. We tell him "Eat your food, Bleys" and he'll go right back to his bowl and start chowing down like he hasn't eaten in ages. He's pretty old (almost 19) and sometimes I think he gets a little forgetful. It's funny that it seems like he forgets about his food even in the middle of eating!

I'm glad Simmy's numbers continue to look good.

Laurie

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,830 posts
Hi Cheryl, I'm so glad that Simmy's BG's are staying normal. My cat Tigger will do something similar. He comes meowing at me and I check the food bowl and its full. Sometimes he goes and eats and sometimes he follows me around meowing.

My cats know they don't bother me until I get up (unless of course they are sick or something) I got really tired of hearing them meowing in my ear or staring bullets into the back of my head at 5 am on a Saturday morning.

I hope you are feeling better and you can get Simmy on track so he doesn't wake you in the middle of the night anymore.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
Hi

I don't know anything about diabetes and kitties, but I know that crf kitties occasionally have unusual behavior that can be linked to changes in their blood chemistry or other changes due to crf. We crf parents have learned to look for those signs- or post to the board and ask questions.

I would suggest that in additon to posting here, you join the yahoo group for diabetic cats and check out there

Is it possible that SImmy is having vision problems and doesn't see the food- or smell it?  I just had to put out some very smelly cat food to get my latest teenager to eat food with meds in it. He is suffering from extreme mange on his head and his whole head is crusty. By tomorrow he should be feeling a lot better.

Is this new behavior?  Sometimes this is a symptom of something being off track-

Good luck

Kathy

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Hi Cheryl,

That's no problem about posting in the wrong place. I'm glad Simmy's BGs are still low. That seems odd about him begging for food, though.

Simmy has another $5 per month sponsor!  banana.gif Thank you angels!  Angel15.gif

Tracy  stripekitty.gif

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi,

I was trying to think back to when Simmy started the begging.  I had another cat that was  a companion of Simmy's since he was a baby.  I really loved her, but I was having problems with Simmy's F.U.S., and Jasmine was also behaving oddly.  Because she still acted semi-feral, it was very tough to handle everything with my help.  Simmy wasn't supposed to have dry food and she wouln't eat unless it was dry.  So, I had to feed each of them separately.  It was hard work, because getting her into a room was challenging.  She would really freak out.  It was causing stress on me and I was so ill.  Additionally, Jasmine (this is her name) started really bothering Simmy.  He had never been agressive, but she would groom him so much and was driving him nuts.  He would sometimes posture ove her and swat at her.  

Along with this, Jasmine started doing this thing under the bed where she would run around.  She would play with Simmy in the bed and she would wake me purring and wanting attention in the middle of the night.  I felt so overwhelmed, tired, and ill. I had an old acquaintence in rescue and she offered to take in Jasmine for me.  It seems like that was about one year ago, but I can say for sure.

It was weird, becasue even though Simmy had started to be more annoyed with Jasmine, it affected him when she left.  He seemed a bit down but he bounced back.  He did however become more vocal after this.  Simmy is eating better now, but is still begging.  I use very smelly Friskies, so there is no way he doesn't know it is there and vary the flavors.  He was always a dry food eater, and he goes to the place his dry food used to be stored.  It could also be that he prefers a bit of dry.  But he begged with that too.

I wanted to share something about Simmy:

He uses his cat nip pilow like a person does, laying his head across it.  I try to write when I think of something funny about him.  Oh I just thought of something else.

There is a spot that Simmy has chosen to scratch on (carpet).  I have covered this area by putting up these pieces of cardboard.  Simmy always knocks them down so he  can scratch in the spot.  One night, I was sitting watching the TV.  I looked up, because Simmy had run across the room and turned his body to the side with a gallup to his stride and knowed those pieces of cardboard right down.  I wish I had a camcorder for that one.

Anyway, I am barely awake anymore.  I am so glad that there is such a great community to give us the ability to get supplies.  It was no nice to be able to get supplies without worry.  Without this site and the sponsors helping, it would not have been possible.  Thanks so much for helping us. magicmoon.gif

Cheryl

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
I have a scratching post suggestion:  A large, flat (no spaces or holes) piece of styrofoam makes a wonderful kitty scratch surface. In addition, kitty likes to sleep on it and frequently tunes up his masterpiece.

The downside is that you find little pieces of white everywhere but it sure does make them happy,

If you don't want to deal with the mess, try the double wide cardboard scratcher by cosmic catnip people. Get the flat one - again= it doubles as  a bed

Kathy

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
QUOTE(foursavages @ Jan 18 2007, 12:21 AM) View Post

He uses his cat nip pilow like a person does, laying his head across it.  I try to write when I think of something funny about him.

Cheryl,

Oh, that is so cute smile.gif   I'll bet Simmy is adorable laying down on his little catnip pillow.

My Orion, who has since passed away, used to do the same thing with the carpet when I rented an apartment. He had plenty of scratching posts, but he liked the carpet, and he wanted to scratch in his spot - right by the door. I took an old scrap of carpet and put it over his spot. That worked with Orion, although I think I had to put something heavy on the corner of the scrap to keep it in place.

Tracy  stripekitty.gif

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi guys,

Simmy is still in remission.  I still am not sure that I am posting in the right place.  I don't see any of my recent posts.  I will try to email Tracy to see if I am.  For now, I have to keep it short.  But I do like to try to keep in touch.  My illness has thrown a wrench in things, so I am having a bit of difficulty with writing.  After I write Tracy and make sure this is getting out there, I will try to post when I feel better.

But as for Simmy, he is doing a lot better.

Cheryl

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Hi Cheryl,

You're posting in the right place.

I'm glad that Simmy is doing well adn is still in remission  banana.gif I'm sorry your illness has been causing you difficulties, though. I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,
Tracy  stripekitty.gif

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Cheryl, I'm so sorry to read that you are still not feeling well. But it is great news that Simmy is doing so well!  banana.gif

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi everyone,

I thought I would touch base since I feel okay today.  Simmy is still doing well.  I was looking at all of the posts and I hope I didn't miss out on thanking the last sponsor.  It looked like I might have.  I got a bit confused when I was posting.  

I noticed a mentioned of the possibility of CRF.  I need to find out what symptoms are.  I will say that all of his labs other than sugar at the last appointment were normal.  I have had some contact with a vet tech, and he told me that he tends to see these types of problems with ups and downs in eating in diabetic cats.  He recommended trying some baby food and I have heard this many times.

I am still struggling with my own illness and many tests are going to be run on me at the end of the month.  I am a little scared, because an MRI of my brain and CT of the abdomen are being run to look for possible tumors on a few of my glands.  Hopefully, some answers will come that will improve my help.  I am only explaining this, because I think it helps others to know where I am and how it is affecting my reponsiveness or sometimes missing things.

I noticed several helpful suggestions about scratching posts, the possibility of other illness (CRF), and just nice posts in general.  I want you to know I appreciate the ideas and just am experiencing some cognitive difficulty secondary to my illness.

Simmy is still doing well.  He is doing some funny things lately.  He has started to know over our small garbage can in the kitchen daily.  I think it is his way of getting our attention.  Silly cat!!

I will be in touch.

Cheryl cool026.gif  banana.gif  magicmoon.gif

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Hi Cheryl,

I'm glad you feel OK today; I hope that continues. I'll be thinking of you when you get your tests at the end of the month - I'd be scared too. I hope that the tests will result in some answers that will help you feel better.

hugs.gif

Oh boy, another kitty that likes garbage cans. My Cody does, too. He likes to dig in trash cans and see what interesting things he can find.

Thinking of you and Simmy, and hoping that your boy doesn't have CRF. I'm glad he's still doing well.

Take care,
Tracy  stripekitty.gif

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,830 posts
Hi Cheryl, I'll be thinking of you also. I hope that tests come back with positive results.

My Spike likes to get up on the bathroom sink and kindly remove anything that is small. I find my earings on the floor and also found my sharpner in the garbage can. Its what happens when I won't let him out. Something always disapears.

I'm thinking of you and Simmy.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Hi

If you want to check out crf- here are two good websites with lots of information.

http://www.felinecrf.org  and

http://www.felinecrf.com

And also,

http://tinyurl.com/63max

The biggest problem with crf is that it is often not detected until kidney function is greatly reduced. It does not seem to show up in tests in the early stages.

The main markers are elevated BUN and Creatine. NOte that other factors can cause BUN to increase.

Kathy

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Cheryl, I'm sorry that things are so tough for you physically right now. I am sending positive thoughts to you, and hope that all will be well.

I'm glad to hear that Simmy continues to do so well. It's funny that he's been knocking over your garbage can. My kitty Bleys does that sometimes too -- but just one particular garbage can in the guest bedroom. I know it's not because he's hungry (he's not) and it's not because there's food in the guest garbage (there's not). I do think it's just to get my attention. Silly puss!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users