Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Simmy Savage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi guys,

I am glad you enjoyed the pics of Simmy.  Right after I wrote last, I found out that IMOM approved the antibiotics.  I finally was able to get out and get his meds and he started on them.  Yesterday, he threw up, but I think it is going to take a bit.  Because of severe illness (mine), I wasn't able to get to the vet's until yesterday.  My partner had to stay with me.  I am beginning to lose faith about ever being well.  I am really depressed and sick right now so I am going to keep it short.  Sorry for the negative.

I will let you know how Simmy is doing over the next few days.  Remember if I am not on for a day or two, I am very unwell right now.

Thanks so much for being there.

Hugs to everyone,

Cheryl

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
Hi Cheryl, I'm so sorry your not feeling well. I'm hoping things will improve for you. I'll be thinking of you and hope that Simmy gets feeling better too.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon
Deb, Spike(RB 3/13/07), Riley (RB 8/12/13), Tigger, Jake, Tyson and Jax

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,887 posts
Hi there,

I am currently on very strong antibiotics for a respiratory infection that knocked me out. I read the package insert and it said to take with food- still made me nauseaus. I called my friend the doctor and she said to eat yogurt and that should help with the problems.

In your case, your vet may have to change antibiotics. Many kitties can not tolerate clavamox and need something diffferent. Also you might try plain, unflavored yogurt for Simmy to help out.  Make sure Simmy eats food before giving the antibitics

Good luck

Kathy

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(Beauty's Kathy @ Apr 14 2007, 02:34 PM) View Post

Hi there,

I am currently on very strong antibiotics for a respiratory infection that knocked me out. I read the package insert and it said to take with food- still made me nauseaus. I called my friend the doctor and she said to eat yogurt and that should help with the problems.

In your case, your vet may have to change antibiotics. Many kitties can not tolerate clavamox and need something diffferent. Also you might try plain, unflavored yogurt for Simmy to help out.  Make sure Simmy eats food before giving the antibitics

Good luck

Kathy

Hi again,

I wanted to give a quick update about Simmy.  He hasn't vomited since the last posting.  The doctor explained that the vomiting is due to pancreatitis.  Simmy has had reactions to antibiotics, but not usually with concurrent Pepcid.  Especially not Clavamox.  But I will keep it in mind.

Simmy's bg's have been within normal at times and then creep above normal, although I did get to skip a dose of insulin on an occasion or two.  I take that as at least a blessing.

Sorry for being away for awhile.  My symptoms have made it nearly impossible to post daily.  But I wanted everyone to know how Simmy is doing.

Thanks for your concern and advice.  We appreciate you.

Hugs,
Cheryl and Simmy

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 3,567 posts
Hi Cheryl,

No vomiting!  banana.gif That's good to hear. I'm glad his BG's are doing pretty well overall.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Tracy  heart.gif  stripekitty.gif

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi,

I wanted to post a quick note.  Tomorrow, I am going to let everyone know how Simmy is doing.  I have been quite ill and it threw everything in my life off.  But for now, the vomiting is down.  Insulin is still needed, but there are days off.

More tomorrow.  Thanks for thinking of us.

Cheryl

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in writing.  Things have been rough because of a personal crisis at home.  We now have carpenter ants.  I am sort of in a frenzy, but I still wanted to let people know how Simmy has been doing.  

He has not vomited for a bit now.  His insulin is still required but, at times, he does not require a shot.  I am a little worried about him still though, because he continues to have appetite problems.  I wondered if anyone with a diabetic pet with pancreatitis has had experience with it.  I know the traditional treatments, but I would like to hear experiences about what happens with cats.  I know in people it can be quite disabling and painful.

Overall, I have seen some improvement, but I wonder what will happen over the long-term with this or if it will stop.

I will be in touch.

Cheryl and Simmy

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
QUOTE(foursavages @ Apr 23 2007, 10:05 PM) View Post

I wondered if anyone with a diabetic pet with pancreatitis has had experience with it.

Hi Cheryl, I'm sorry to read that Simmy is still not eating well. I wish I could offer you some suggestions, but diabetes/pancreatitis is not one of the kitty illnesses I have experience with.

It's good to hear that there are days when he doesn't need the insulin. Yay Simmy!

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
Hi Cheryl, I'm glad Simmy doesn't need the insulin so much. i wish I could help you with the eating problem though. I hope someone can come along and help you out.

I hate carpenter ants, they get into everything. I hope your feeling better too.

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(Debs @ Apr 24 2007, 06:48 PM) View Post

Hi Cheryl, I'm glad Simmy doesn't need the insulin so much. i wish I could help you with the eating problem though. I hope someone can come along and help you out.

I hate carpenter ants, they get into everything. I hope your feeling better too.

Hi again,

I am really down right now and feel like throwing in the towel on everything.  I am exhausted and tired of being stressed, sick, and tired.  I do appreciate the kind words of support that I can always count on from all of you.

I am glad that Simmy has days when his bgs are normal and he doesn't need insulin.  I think that the pancreatitis caused the sugar problem.  It makes sense to me.  My hope is that if that problem is solved, then his sugar problem will subside.  Perhaps that is wishful thinking on my part, but I don't think so.  I have researched it a bit and it is common to actually miss pancreatitis when it is the culprit behind diabetes.

I am tired, so I am going to bed.  It is 3:25 AM if that tells you how wiped I am.

Good night and thanks for the support,
Cheryl

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
QUOTE(foursavages @ Apr 26 2007, 06:21 AM) View Post

Hi again,

I am really down right now and feel like throwing in the towel on everything.  I am exhausted and tired of being stressed, sick, and tired.  I do appreciate the kind words of support that I can always count on from all of you.

I am glad that Simmy has days when his bgs are normal and he doesn't need insulin.  I think that the pancreatitis caused the sugar problem.  It makes sense to me.  My hope is that if that problem is solved, then his sugar problem will subside.  Perhaps that is wishful thinking on my part, but I don't think so.  I have researched it a bit and it is common to actually miss pancreatitis when it is the culprit behind diabetes.

I am tired, so I am going to bed.  It is 3:25 AM if that tells you how wiped I am.

Good night and thanks for the support,
Cheryl

I'm glad we can help in any way. I know what its like to just want to give everything up and quit. I was that way about 6 months ago. I think my animals were the only thing that kept me going. Most times I couldn't wait to get home to see them (and they were the only ones I wanted to see). I hope that Simmy does that for you and you can find some rest soon.

That would be wonderful if they could take care of the pancreas and it solved the sugar. I know that would take a load off of you for sure. WOW 3:25 AM, no way can I stay up that late.

Hugs to you and Simmy and get some rest. I have faith that it will all work out in the end for both of you. hugs.gif

Posted ImagePosted Image

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(Debs @ Apr 30 2007, 06:55 AM) View Post

I'm glad we can help in any way. I know what its like to just want to give everything up and quit. I was that way about 6 months ago. I think my animals were the only thing that kept me going. Most times I couldn't wait to get home to see them (and they were the only ones I wanted to see). I hope that Simmy does that for you and you can find some rest soon.

That would be wonderful if they could take care of the pancreas and it solved the sugar. I know that would take a load off of you for sure. WOW 3:25 AM, no way can I stay up that late.

Hugs to you and Simmy and get some rest. I have faith that it will all work out in the end for both of you. hugs.gif

Hi everyone,

I am glad you guys are supportive.  It would be wonderful if the pancreatitis could be solved.  I do love Simmy and do not want him to suffer.  At many times, Simmy has brought me up when I was down.  With everything that is up now, it has been very difficult to find much joy in my life.  I am treading water.  It is one stress after another.

I hope I get some peace and health soon.  Some new tests are being run currently.  My next step is to try a different doctor.  But I want to give this doctor a good chance.  She is different.  Luckily, she accepted Medicare.  A rarity today.  

As for being up that late, it usually is not a choice.  Even with sleep meds, I have severe insomnia.  The stress load is not helping.

Yesterday, Simmy's appetite suddenly dropped.  Today, it was also low.  I am a bit worried.  Usually, this is the part before vomiting begins.  I am keeping a closer than usual eye on him.  The insulin is still off and on.  But he at least has some days that are better than others.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know how Simmy was doing.  He blood sugar levels have remained fairly stable, although he is not off insulin.  The more troubling symptoms that he is having are loud meowing, hiding, crying for food when food is present, and he seems more tired.  I am doing my best to keep him fed, and I am going to buy a little baby food as a back up to keep him nourished.  He does have good days though.  I thought everyone would like to know how he was.  

As always, feedback and support are greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,
Cheryl and Simmy

Guest_foursavages_*

Guest_foursavages_*
  • Guests
Hi,

Simmy is still struggling.  He has a ritual every day of begging even when food is in front of him.  He has also been doing some hiding.  I am worried about him.  I had to assist feed him last night.  This basically requires sitting with him until I can get him to eat.  I am a bit stumped as to why this continues.  Things are really the same with the blood glucose.  No changes since my last post, that is.  He has good days, but still needs the insulin.  I am praying he will get better.  

I will keep an eye out to see if anyone has thoughts.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,920 posts
Simmy is no longer going to be an IMOM Pet In Need but his remaining funds will be available for two weeks, should he need to be seen by the vet or require additional supplies.  His owners have been notified.

This thread will be moved to "others closed".

Thanks to everyone who has supported Simmy!

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,920 posts
QUOTE(Cindy/IMOM @ May 11 2007, 07:22 PM) View Post

Simmy is no longer going to be an IMOM Pet In Need but his remaining funds will be available for two weeks, should he need to be seen by the vet or require additional supplies.  His owners have been notified.

Simmy's mom has written to IMOM but has not submitted any requests for supplies or vet charges for Simmy.   It's unfortunate that she has not made use of his donated funds, but we hope she will by tomorrow.  After that the funds will become available for use by another IMOM PIN.

In the meantime, members of the Feline Diabetes Message Board are asking for financial support for Simmy.  If anyone wants to contribute to Simmy going forward, I'm sure they would be happy to accept donations.

Cindy/IMOM

*UPDATE* Late yesterday we received an estimate for Simmy's supplies which has been approved.
Cindy/IMOM

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,224 posts
closed.gif
Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users