Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Sylvia-RB 12/23/06

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
This topic was copied and pasted from our old community on 7/14/06

Laura imom  
Committee Volunteer
(5/8/06 7:28 pm)
   My Sylvia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most of you IMOM regulars know about my Sylvia and her recent battle with Nasal Lymphoma as well as a tumors in her brain. She went to Cornell for close to a month for radiation and is home now (about a month and 1/2) and doing well  

Here's a recent video of my pretty girl....I wanted to post this so that everyone could see how well she's doing. Radiation was a life saver for her, and if anyone has questions about it or is facing it with their cat, please feel free to ask me about it. I'd be happy to share what I have learned.

Sylvia Video

Kim  
Local user
(5/8/06 7:47 pm)
Reply   Re: My Sylvia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She's a kick! I think the rough translation is: "Put down the camera and open the can!!"  

Linda IMOM  
Committee Volunteer
(5/8/06 8:14 pm)
   Re: My Sylvia
She is so Chatty! How beautiful she is  
Collie Hugs -

Please click below to visit my furbabies
community.webshots.com/album/134598199QrXRlg

Please visit Monty's memorial page
www.svcsr.org/notforgot/monty.htm

Monty's IMOM PIN page
p088.ezboard.com/fimomcommunityfrm3.showMessage?topicID=88.topic

smalk50  
(5/8/06 8:37 pm)
Oh Laura! She looks wonderful and so very happy. I am so happy for both of you that she is doing so well.  

Such a happy video!

Chris

paulajmnj
(5/8/06 10:07 pm)
Laura,
so is so pretty and talky. Enough of the camera MOm--just feed me! She looks great!

p    

Frankenmuth2
(5/9/06 11:55 am)
Laura;

Thanks for posting the great video! Sylvia looks great. I think it's important for people to understand that animals can make great recovery from cancer and other illnesses! So often we are faced with those that don't make it, or those are the ones that we tend to remember. Sylvia and Puddles are wonderful examples how animals can become happy cancer surviors!

Puddles sends some snuggles to Sylvia!

Nancy

P.S. How did Sylvia handle all of her treatments? Puddles, as you know, had no side effects of her Chemo and was such a trooper through it all!

Diana S IMOM  
Board of Directors
(5/12/06 7:54 pm)
My girls are sleeping here with me. I played the video of Sylvie, and Tabbytha sat bolt upright. She's now looking for that "other cat". LOL

Sylvie sure is chatty - I've never heard her talk this much before. What a sweetie. Sending lots of  

Laura imom  
Committee Volunteer
(5/12/06 8:35 pm)
Hi Nancy,
Radiation treatment is completely different than Chemo. But most cats tolerate both treatment options very well.

Sylvia needed curative radiation, which means she had 15 treatments, 1 per day, 5 days a week for three weeks. She had to be put under for each treatment, not to mention having to be put under for two ct scans. Sylvia also had to "live" at Cornell for close to a month. All of that considered, she did very well.

Side effects are very rare in cats, commonly seen in dogs. Sylvia had some gum inflamation and a tiny spot of hairloss on her nose. Very minor stuff considering what she was fighting.

Laura

Laura imom  
Committee Volunteer
(5/12/06 8:42 pm)

Quote:
"Put down the camera and open the can!!"

That's the "rough" translation alright, Kim. You missed the curse words scattered through out that sentence. Damn cats!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my girl, she is really something else!

Laura imom  
Committee Volunteer
(5/12/06 8:50 pm)
Hi Diana,
You're right, she has never been this chatty before, and what you see on that video is nothing compared to her when she gets in a mood....Yikes!    

Juli IMOM  
Board of Directors
(5/13/06 2:41 pm)
Reply   Sylvia
Laura,

Just wanted to pop by and say how happy I am that Sylvia went through her treatment without any problems and is doing so well now. She looks and sounds great! I hope to meet her one day and chat with her in purrson.  

Juli

Laura imom  
Committee Volunteer
(5/29/06 5:12 pm)
   Re: Sylvia
Aww...Thanks Juli! I hope you get to meet her someday soon... I know she would just love you.

Well I brought persnickety miss in for checkup Friday and she is having some type of eye issue. whenever I bring her in for a recheck she has to be seen by both her oncologist and the ophthalmologist since both of her eyes were in the radiation field. Her left eye (same side that they nasal lymphoma presented on) has a funny spot on it, the ophthalmologist was a bit pessimistic, and thinks it may be the lymphoma coming back. The oncologist was leaning more towards radiation side effects, but of course couldn't commit either way. I have ointment to put in her eye three times a day and have to bring her back on Friday if it gets worse or doesn't improve.

Of course I'm really worried and grabbing poor Sylvia's head every chance I get to look for signs of the cancer returning. The oncologist said it usually presents the same way it originally did when it comes back. We are hoping for the best, so some good vibes would really be appreciated..Sylvia is much to young, and fought to hard to lose the battle now..

JeanKBBMMMAA  
(5/31/06 8:21 pm)
Reply   Re: Sylvia
Reiki?

I did get to meet Sylvia and she is like a beautiful cloud. I couldn't believe how pretty she was and so calm and sweet, too.

Thinking of her and hoping her eye improves!

kshort13
(6/1/06 11:10 am)
Your girl is sooooo beautiful and obviously very brave and strong. I'm saying lots of prayers that it's only a reaction to the radiation in her eye and that it clears up quickly. The video is adorable!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kris
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond mix
Max, GSD
Taz, rescue gray kitty
Chessy, rescue B&W tuxedo kitty        
Jacki, rescue Black DSH
Lucy, rescue gray & white DMH      

Laura imom  
Committee Volunteer
(6/12/06 8:28 am)
Thanks Ladies, it is starting to look like it might have been a reaction to the treatment. Her eye has since cleared up, although she still has a tiny lump/swelling on the side of her nose, where it all started. We are hoping that is just scar tissue and remains the same size.

Here's a picture of her eye before it cleared up.
IPB Image

Continued.....

Edited by Laura IMOM, 06 December 2006 - 09:49 PM.

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
Here it is now....
IPB Image

Hopefully she will continue to do well....we're keeping paws crossed at my house.  

Kim  
Local user
(6/12/06 10:14 am)
What a difference! Syl's eye looks 100% better.  

I love how she always manages to drape herself against colors that accentuate her loveliness.  

cindyimom  
Administrator
(6/12/06 6:45 pm)
Lovely is the word I was thinking of too, Kim. She's quite the princess!

paulajmnj
(6/12/06 8:22 pm)
Laura,
Sylvia's eye looks soo much better. boy what a beautiful cat draped in the most exquisite fabric.. she definately has The Look down

k9sign  
(6/12/06 9:11 pm)
Wow, what a change with her eye!!
Laura, she is just a gorgeous gorgeous kitty. The pic with her draped and looking so lovely--that should be a calendar pic or some contest pic!!

Hugs

Diana S IMOM  
Board of Directors
(6/14/06 12:15 am)
I totally agree!!! She's gorgeous!! Of course, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Sylvia. I love Maine Coons!!

Sending lots of cyber , until I get the chance to give some real ones.

Laura imom  
Committee Volunteer
(6/23/06 3:51 pm)
   Re: Three month check-up
Miss. Sylvia went in for her three month post radiation check-up today. She is doing wonderfully...her weight is back up to her precancer level of 14lbs and her eye issue has completely resolved. Both her oncologist and ophthalmologist saw her today and were thrilled!!

Tomorrow Sylvia is meeting several of her IMOM aunties...she is very excited! The rest of my cats will probably hide under the bed...but that's okay, Syl likes being the center of attention.

Thanks for all the well-wishes for my girl, I think we may finally be out of the woods for a bit....  

Kay  
(6/23/06 4:49 pm)
Reply   Re: Three month check-up
Great news! and I'm am sure her aunties will have no problem showering her with lots of attention!!

paulajmnj
(6/23/06 5:09 pm)
Reply   Re: Three month check-up
   hooray for Sylvia  that is wonderful.
can't wait to meet that gorgeous beauty.

Linda IMOM  
Committee Volunteer
(6/23/06 7:38 pm)

Quote:
Sylvia went in for her three month post radiation check-up today.

It's been 3 months already???? I am so happy she's doing so well!!!
Collie Hugs -

Please click below to visit my furbabies
community.webshots.com/album/134598199QrXRlg

Please visit Monty's memorial page
www.svcsr.org/notforgot/monty.htm

Monty's IMOM PIN page
p088.ezboard.com/fimomcommunityfrm3.showMessage?topicID=88.topic

Diana S IMOM  
Board of Directors
(6/23/06 9:58 pm)
Great news for Sylvia!!!! WOOHOO!!! IPB Image

Can't wait till I see her again!!

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 769 posts
Just a quick little update on Sylvia, she is doing well.  She had her 5 month post radiation check up last week and everything looks good!  She's not due for another recheck for 2 months now and will have to go back to Cornell for that appointment.  

Sylvia is developing cataracts from the radiation treatment, and needs eye drops/ointment a couple of times a day permanently.  But I think that is a small price to pay, since she is otherwise healthy and HAPPY!!  I think she would agree, especially when she is chowing down, the girl is just shy of 15 pounds now...yikes!

[attachmentid=158]

She's telling Rusty what the feeding schedule in the house is....... laugh.gif

Attached Files

• Attached File  sr.jpg   93.83K   60 downloads

Edited by Laura IMOM, 27 August 2006 - 06:58 PM.

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Wonderful news!! Plus the extra bonus of more Rusty!! biggrin.gif

Martha Jane and Baila

paulajmnj

paulajmnj

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 743 posts
Laura,
  yea for Syl,she looks Marvelous minichat6.gif and that Rusty is sure a spitfire,he has major catitude. thanks for the updaTE
P

Guest_Linda IMOM_*

Guest_Linda IMOM_*
  • Guests
Great pix Laura - Rusty is so cute!

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 769 posts
Just a quick update on Sylvia's cancer.  We took her back up to Cornell for her 7 month check up, and they think she looks GREAT!!!!  

The only concern we have is that she seems to have lost a bit of weight since this summer, she is down to 13.6 pounds from 15.  But it may have something to do with the pred dosage she is on and different scales...so I'm going to keep a closer eye on her weight at home now.

I am beyond thrilled with her treatment and how well she has done....nasal lymphoma in cats is sooooo treatable, if caught early and the proper steps are followed.  I've had several people contact me after reading this thread about their own cats, which is why I posted Syl's story here, so she can help others smile.gif

I have some pictures of our trip....will try to get them posted this weekend.

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Laura, no question that Sylvia's story has given hope to other owners.  Syl says, I'm not just a pretty face, ya know!

We couldn't be happier that she's doing so well.  biggrin.gif

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Laura, this news is wonderful, uplifting and inspiring. Thanks for sharing it! By the way, Syl does have BEAUTIFUL eyes. I can't see the cataracts at all. Can you see them much?

MarthaJane and Baila & Crew heart.gif

Edited by Baila, 20 October 2006 - 02:40 AM.

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 769 posts
Thanks ladies!  

I don't think a day goes by that I don't stop for a few moments (usually when I'm snuggling Syl) and reflect on how lucky we are that she is doing so well.  

I met a friend for lunch yesterday, her kitty was treated at Cornell for nasal lymphoma in July.  Unfortunately he went to the bridge 3 weeks after he came home from treatment.  His name was Benny, and stories like his remind me how fortunate we are that Syl did so well.  Benny's cancer was so similar to Syl's (except that Syl also had brain cancer) that the vets at Cornell used her treatment plan to help devise a plan for Benny, and explain it his mom.  I have been thinking so much about him again since meeting his mom yesterday.

MarthaJane, the reason you can't see Syl's cataracts is because they are minuscule.  I can see them, she has one tiny one in each eye, but I don't think you can capture them on camera yet...they will get bigger and most likely effect her sight by the time she is one year out from radiation.

Before treating Syl we were told this would happen, and that they hoped her cancer was predominantly in one side of her nose so that only one eye would be in the radiation field, thus she would probably lose sight in one eye only.  But since it was discovered after her CT scan that the cancer was in her brain as well, they had to radiate her entire head.  But since the loss will be gradual I think Syl will handle it fine.  It's sudden loss that seems to effect cats....as in my boy Cosmo.

And as depressing as this sounds, when we found out Syl had brain cancer as well, her radiologist told me that her prognosis was less than a year (just nasal lymphoma has a 2 year prognosis with treatment), so the cataracts really weren't an issue in deciding whether to go forward or not.  I think my girl will make it past a year though...I really do.

Edited by Laura IMOM, 20 October 2006 - 12:26 PM.

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Laura,

I am always glad when I hear about how well Syl is doing. I really think Syl will continue to beat the odds. I hope she has many more happy years with you.  heart.gif

Tracy

paulajmnj

paulajmnj

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 743 posts
Laura,
Great news about Sylvia cool026.gif  Sure the weight loss maybe it's because  she's chasin after her little bother Rusty..ooopps i meant brother tongue.gif
Rusty has gotten Big  and he is sooo handsome with those red markings.
p
and the boys

Edited by paulajmnj, 21 October 2006 - 04:50 AM.

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 769 posts
Paula....I think you are right about Syl's little bother...although it's usually him chasing Syl.  He tries to catch her and ride her like a pony.... laugh.gif

Here's a couple of pictures of her "set up" in the back of Chris' truck...she did much better in the crate than she has previously in the carrier.  The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't wrap the seat belt around it......so next trip I'm going to get some bungee cords and try securing it that way.  I just fear an accident, and want the crate secured.

Leaving Cornell

[attachmentid=761]

Protesting!!!!

[attachmentid=762]

Settling in for a long drive

[attachmentid=763]

Attached Files

• Attached File  b1.jpg   130.25K   57 downloads
  • Attached File  b2.jpg   144.89K   51 downloads
  • Attached File  b3.jpg   153.57K   48 downloads

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Deer Sylvia,

U should just pee all over the place, like I do. That won't make yur mom and dad stop putting you in that cage thingy and taking u for horrible car rides, but it's good revenge  peeing.gif

Luv,
Cody  stripekitty.gif

PS: Mom says those pictures are so cuuuute! She especially loves the "protesting" one smile.gif

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
Sylvia looks great.   I want to know if Chris picked the interior color to match Sylvia?  We are all thrilled she is doing so well.  Her story is very inspiring.  I also like the crate for travel.  I bet my kids would travel better in a crate.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
The pix are great! Thanks for sharing. The "protesting" snap is adorable because I can almost hear Sylvia's voice.... Hee hee.

Nancy

Nancy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 267 posts
Laura;

The small crate is the same way I transported Puddles to Michigan State for her treatments.  The first trip we used a cat carrier and she pooped in it about 1/2 there!  I pulled over and cleaned it up...but didn't want a repeat of that in future trips...so I used a small crate that fit a cat bed, a small litter box and a water dish!  Worked great and was much more comfortable for Puddles and less smelly for me, LOL!

I struggled with the fact that the crate wasn't secure in case of an accident and finally found a way to bungie cord it down...do you do that too?

You have very beautiful cats, you know!

Nancy

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,977 posts
Laura, I'm so glad to read that Sylvia is doing so well and looking absolutely BEAUTIFUL...

I know that the worrying never stops and the weight loss didn't help any but all in all she is looking FABULOUS...

I think the crate idea is a good one...I can see you bungee cording it now!!  Hugs to you and yours, Judy

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 769 posts
I had a little "photo-shoot" late yesterday afternoon with the kids smile.gif  After I sent some off to friends I was looking at Syl's picture again.  I can't believe how much her facial markings have faded.  I can see exactly where they concentrated her radiation treatments...even though her entire head was radiated, they did concentrate on her forehead/left side area a bit more.

Here's a side by side, the picture on the right was taken yesterday and the one on the left was about 2 years ago.  It's been close to 8 months since treatment, so she's been very slowly losing her facial markings....

[attachmentid=990]

I also have her CT scans on CD....(talk about neurotic mom syndrome  laugh.gif ), one of these days I'm going to figure out how to post her before and after CT's....I think it's all fascinating....

Oh and I figured out what to do with her crate on our next trip to Cornell (April), my hubby races motorcyles and has these heavy duty straps he uses to tie the bike down to the back of his truck, I figure I can use those on Syl's crate smile.gif

Attached Files

Cindy/IMOM

Cindy/IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Vice President
  • 1,920 posts
QUOTE(Laura IMOM @ Nov 5 2006, 08:51 AM) View Post

I can't believe how much her facial markings have faded.  

Even without facial markings, she's still exquisite, Laura.  I love seeing pics of her and all your brats  tongue.gif

Cindy/IMOM
Cindy/IMOM

Diana S

Diana S

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 487 posts
WOW, what a difference in her facial markings.  I hadn't noticed when I had visited.  I like the crate for travel idea.  I did something similar on one of my transports - borrowed a dog cage, and put the cat carreir and litter box inside.  Worked out nice - except Linda had to wait for the cat to finish doing her business before the trade off.  

Can you believe, the first time Linda and I met was at a rest stop??  The second time was at the Cheesecake Factory.  Much better!!!!

I love the pics!!!!

Hugs to Syl and the rest of the gang.

Diana S

paulajmnj

paulajmnj

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 743 posts
Sylvia is still a princess in my book..she will always be stunning minichat6.gif the before and after CT scans may make an interesting piece of artwork.Would definately be a conversation starter. tongue.gif hugst to all the bratz
p
and the boys

Edited by paulajmnj, 05 November 2006 - 11:13 AM.

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
That is so amazing the difference in her pictures.  You would think it was two different putty cats.  Sylvia is beautiful in both looks, now her name matches her better.

Wishing you continued good health.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Please help us help our Pets In Need by using this internet SEARCH feature for all your internet searches. To add this feature to your tool bar click here for the FREE download. http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbars.aspx

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 3,567 posts
Aw, but sweet Sylvia is beautiful no matter what she looks like. With or without markings, she's gorgeous. Cody's markings don't look anything like they did 6 years ago. His stripes have all but disappeared, from age I'm assuming. Give Syl some headbutts from Cody and some hugs from me smile.gif

Tracy  ten.gif

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 769 posts
Thanks for the nice comments on my beautiful girl, I too, think she is every bit as beautiful as she was before her treatment.  I just thought the pictures put right up next to each other were so interesting.  

It's funny because I was thinking about when I first got Sylvia, and how I was a little picky about her facial markings.  When she was a kitten the gray on her face was almost a brown color, and I told the vet (his cat was her father) I wasn't crazy about it....funny how things turn out later, isn't it? smile.gif

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(Laura IMOM @ Nov 6 2006, 12:51 PM) View Post

Thanks for the nice comments on my beautiful girl, I too, think she is every bit as beautiful as she was before her treatment.  I just thought the pictures put right up next to each other were so interesting.  

Still very pretty!  I noticed she didn't lose her horns.  

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 769 posts
I haven't been on IMOM much this week, we got some devastating new about Sylvia on Friday night.  It appears her cancer is back and in her abdomen now.  She has several masses and is retaining a large amount of fluid.  The fluid was drained on Friday night but by yesterday, she had filled back up already.  We don't think she has long, prognosis is a couple of weeks at best.

Please keep a good thought for her, that her journey will be gentle.  She is my big gentle maine coon, also know as the "gentle giants".   She is the sweetest, softest cat I have ever known, in looks and personality.  I still can't believe we are losing her...   broken_heart.gif

[attachmentid=1345]

Attached Files

paulajmnj

paulajmnj

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 743 posts
Laura,
I am so very very sorry. My heart is breaking for you. broken_heart.gifI wish her peace for this final leg of her journey.What a sweet gentle girl.
Paula

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,128 posts
We are here for u Laura. broken_heart.gif
Posted Image

JeanKBBMMMAA

JeanKBBMMMAA

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,584 posts
She is such a beautiful cat. I got to meet her briefly and was struck by her intelligence and curiosity (what is that big cat on a leash?). She reminded me of a perfect sky and cloud with her colors. Striking. I am so sorry that this is happening.
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users