Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Bleys (Coot) at Rainbow Bridge 8/30/09

• Please log in to reply
1365 replies to this topic

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
My beloved 18-3/4 yo kitty Bleys is very, very sick.

He was fine and sporty on Friday, ate like a hog at dinnertime. Saturday morning, was off his appetite. Not too worried because he's always had phases of eating lightly and we've had countless days over the years of lack of appetite. He ate a bit on Saturday night and seemed to be doing better.

I woke up yesterday morning to find that he had vomited up all of his food plus many more piles of stomach acid and was having horrible, scary bloody diarrhea. Rushed him to the vet where he's been ever since.

We still don't know what we're dealing with. Waiting on numerous test and biopsy results which I desperately hope begin arriving late this afternoon. He's not eating, having extreme nausea, lots more scary bloody diarrhea. I quite honestly don't know how he's managed to make it this far; his frail little body is so weak and ravaged right now.

All of the potential diagnoses that have so far been mentioned are very, very scary. I hope that somehow, somehow, SOMEHOW none of them are confirmed. It will be a miracle I think at this point.

I am doing my best to stay positive -- but I am very, very afraid and my heart is breaking.

Laurie

Edited by Laurie IMOM, 31 August 2009 - 08:17 PM.

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,969 posts
Laurie, I am so sorry to read that your senior kitty is so sick.  It's so hard to watch them and be helpless...

I'll be praying that things will work out for the best...Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.  Judy

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 767 posts
Laurie I am so sorry that Bleys is sick, that sounds so scary.  But he's in the hospital and, I'm sure he is getting the absolute best care possible....I hope they determine what is causing this soon and that it is easily and quickly remedied...

Sending positive energy and keeping good thoughts for you both....please keep us posted when you have a chance.

hugs.gif

Nancy

Nancy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 267 posts
Laurie;

Thinking of you and your senior kitty and hoping everything will work out OK!

Hugs;
Nancy

Snowbelt

Snowbelt

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 629 posts
Laurie, I'm sorry to hear about Bleys. My thoughts and prayers are with Bleys and you. Please keep us posted.

Hugs,
Diane

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Laurie, you know that Teddie and I are sending our very best thoughts for Bleys.  I'm so sorry that whatever's going on is taking the wind out of his sails and I hope that the vet hospital can at least get him stabilized and more comfortable while you await test results.  

Dammit, why do cats not tell us something is wrong until it is very wrong?  *sigh*

Hugs to you and Bleys.

Rottendogs

Rottendogs

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 638 posts
QUOTE(Kim @ Oct 9 2006, 08:39 PM) View Post

Dammit, why do cats not tell us something is wrong until it is very wrong?  *sigh*

Laurie,
I know nothing of value to tell you, so just know that my fingers are crossed for Bleys and lots of good thougths are going out for him and you.
I guess I'm glad I have those wimpy little dogs that squeal bloody murder at the slightest upset in their little world such as hangnails, cold floors, etc.
Celia

paulajmnj

paulajmnj

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 743 posts
Laurie,

many many cyberhugs to both of you.Hope they find out what it is quicklyso that Bleys can start on the road to Wellness.
p
and the boys

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Laurie, I am so sorry to hear Bley's is not well.  I lost my Jasper a few years back and he was 16.  Everyone kept telling me, he lived a long happy life, but as a parent you never want to hear that. 16, 17 18 even 19 years is not enough time  and we are never ready to let go.  

I am praying that the results come back negative and that Bley's just ate something that did not agree with him or maybe whatever it is the vet caught it in time.  Just know that we are all praying for a good outcome and are here for you.

I will say an extra pray tonight for you and Bley's.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Please help us help our Pets In Need by using this internet SEARCH feature for all your internet searches. To add this feature to your tool bar click here for the FREE download. http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbars.aspx

Kris S

Kris S

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 737 posts
Laurie,
Lots of good thoughts, positive energy and prayers coming from all of us...

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Oh Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear about Bley. I've seen you refer to him in other posts before in little ways that just glowed with your love for him.  We want to add all our hopes and prayers for a good outcome and just wish it was in our power to do more.

You'll both be in our thoughts tonight!

heart.gif

MarthaJane and Crew

Edited by Baila, 10 October 2006 - 12:49 AM.

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
Laurie,

I too am sorry to hear Bleys is not feeling well.  We add our love, support, healing thoughts and prayers.  Let us know when you can how your little guy is doing.  

Many hugs,

Kay

Kay

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
Laurie, I am so sorry to read this and add my good thoughts and prayers.  We have grown to know what a special cat Bleys is and the bond you too share.  (((Hugs))) Kay

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Hi everyone, I want to tell you how much it means to me to know you are thinking of my boy Bleys and sending positive thoughts, healing energies, and prayers his way.

He made it through another night, which is a blessing and I feel a bit of a miracle. My husband and I visited with him for about 45 minutes last night, and though he was very weak and a bit disoriented, he purred the entire time and we even had some "head butting" sessions. (He's a master head-butter.)

It was so hard to walk away from him last night and leave him at the animal hospital. Though I know of course this is where he needs to be, all I want to do is bring him home and have him by my side.

He is still not eating. He's not voluntarily had a meal since Friday night. The vet has done a bit of force feeding here and there, but of course there is not enough going in. Fortunately he is a pretty lean guy, so we have so far dodged a bullet re: fatty liver disease, but we are pretty much at the upper end of how long he can safely go without eating. Not sure what we are going to do about that. I know he is too sick and weak to have a feeding tube inserted.

He continues to have bloody diarrhea, though the volume is lessened because he's not eating.

And still no lab results yet. They should definitely be in today.

So we are very much in one-step-at-a-time mode.

Please continue to send all the good thoughts and prayers that you can his way. He so very much needs them.

Laurie

paulajmnj

paulajmnj

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 743 posts
Laurie,
i am so sorry that Bleys isn't well enough yet to come home. Just hoping this is some nasty gi virus and he starts to feel better today.Many ((())) to both of you.
p
and the boys

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
All fingers and paws crossed here, Laurie.  

((( Hugs )))

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
sending lots of love and prayers..........

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Please help us help our Pets In Need by using this internet SEARCH feature for all your internet searches. To add this feature to your tool bar click here for the FREE download. http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbars.aspx

Snowbelt

Snowbelt

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 629 posts
Sending healing thoughts and light your way.

Hugs,
Diane

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
We got the lab results back this morning, and there is good news and bad news. The good news is, they didn't find anything -- no sign of cancer, lymphoma, etc. Urinalysis was clean, fecal test was clean, bloodwork was clean.

So the bad news is, they didn't find anything.

So we still don't know what the heck is going on or why he's so sick.

After much discussion, deliberation, tears, and agonizing, we've decided to proceed with an endoscopy to see if we can determine what is going on in his GI tract/bowels that is causing the bloody diarrhea, which contines. We have run out of time to do additional less-aggressive testing because he is fading.

We also can't wait any longer to get food down him; he is already well into the danger zone for fatty liver disease. So while he is under anesthesia for the endoscopy, we will also have an esophogeal feeding tube inserted.

This will all happen this afternoon.

I am so, so terrified that Bleys will not make it through this. He is very sick, very old, and has a heart murmur. Any one of these increases the risk factor of him not coming out of anesthesia. All three combined, well, it's petrifying.

He has been amazingly healthy his entire life and has a very strong constitution. I hope that somehow he is able to pull on his inner strength once again and that he'll somehow make it through.

We had a very nice visit with him this morning and it's hard for me to comprehend, as bad as I know he is feeling, that he could sit on my lap for 45 minutes and purr the entire time. I cannot tell you how much I hope that this was not our last time together.  broken_heart.gif

Thank you so much for continuing to send good wishes, support, and prayers his way.

Laurie

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Laurie, believe me I am not minimizing your worry over this.  But if I can share something that might make you feel a tiny bit better, I had a foster cat who came to us as a severely debilitated stray (nonexistent WBC count, watery diarrhea.....) and we ended up having to do an endoscopy on him.  Like you, I wondered how on earth he would survive the procedure.  He was only 5 or 6 lbs and not a young guy.  But he did fine.  

FWIW, I think you're doing what you have to do for Bleys and I truly hope the procedures he's having today will give you the answers you need, plus a way to get some nutrition into him to keep up his strength.  

Remember, cats are tough little bastards!

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,969 posts
Laurie, I am sending you positive thoughts that Bleys is doing well with his surgery...

It's SO HARD to not be able to anything when your animals are ill...I feel so bad for you and your family...

I am hoing that Bleys is going to be a tough kitty and make it through the procedures...prayers sent your way.  Judy

paulajmnj

paulajmnj

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 743 posts
Laurie,

We all are worrying with you.Will send much healing energy to that dear sweet old guy. whitekitty.gif That Bleys comes through the procedure fine and is soon home in Momma's arms. Come on Bleys [b]Stay Tough
p
and the boys

Lori Domingos

Lori Domingos

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 319 posts
I am so sorry for what you and Bleys are going through.  I pray he comes through these procedures without any complications and you can find what is wrong so it can be treated.  Hopefully with that tube he can get some nourishment that will strengthen him.  I just do not want to think that the results will be anything but good.  My furbabies and I send all our best wishes to Bleys.

God bless you both.

Love,
Lori, Princess, Queenie, Dutchess, Sylvia and Prince in spirit rose.gif  stripekitty.gif  stripekitty.gif  brownpup.gif  brownpup.gif  wolf.gif

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
We'll be keeping our fingers crossed and continuing to send all the good prayers, thoughts and energy we can in hopes that Bleys with have a good, strengthening outcome from his proceedure.

Hugs,

MarthaJane and Crew

Jade Silverman's Mom

Jade Silverman's Mom

Jadie

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
Jade and I will be sending lots of strengthening energy and healing thoughts to Bleys for a comforting outcome from the endoscopy.

It's so frightening to be confronted with the "unknown" factor; then there are those moments when we think perhaps we don't want to know...it's so difficult.  You're doing the right thing for Bley.

Somehow it's difficult for me to call him "senior," as that reminds me how close I was to losing Jade and that 13 years would certainly have been a short life for her and an eyeblink for me.  It is so important to remain positive.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
I just got a call from the vet and Bleys made it through the procedure. Esophogeal tube is in place and endoscopy is complete.

To say I've been on pins and needles the last several hours would be a complete understatement. I am so grateful that my sweet boy has managed to pull through.

They were able to get a tissue sample from his stomach. While looking at the small intestines, they did find an area where the tissue was friable (which essentially means brittle or crumbly) and they took a sample of that.

They also did a needle aspirate of his liver, because his pre-anesthesia bloodwork showed elevated bilirubin levels.

Now we wait for more labs which will probably not be back until Thursday.

If he's doing well enough with his recovery from the anesthesia, they will feed him later this evening.

One step at a time, one step at a time.

I really can't tell you all how much it means to me to be able to read your messages and to know that you are pulling for my sweet Bleys. Thank you so much for caring and for sending so many positive thoughts and prayers his way.

Laurie

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Major PHEW!!!  Thanks so much for the update, Laurie.  

Here's hoping that Bleys has a restful night and does well with his first tube-feeding.  They usually add in Reglan for vomiting, which certainly couldn't hurt in his case.  One really nice thing about the e-tube is that if he needs meds and they're available in liquid form, into the tube they go!  If I remember correctly, you had to tube-feed another of your cats so you're an old pro at this.

Is this a 24-hour place where you can call during the night to check on him?  We ought to have a hotline:  1-800-ANTSY-MOM.   wink.gif

You tell that handsome boy of yours that he has a lot of people in his corner.

paulajmnj

paulajmnj

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 743 posts
Laurie,
Thanks for the update--now we can exhale.Well one step down just need to send Hungry thoughts to Bleys.Maybe having food in his tummy will stimulate his appetitie.I know sometimes i have a heck of time getting my seniors to eat,they just don't seem to care about food as much.Then i pull out the secret weapons Trader Joe's sticky tuna food or FF elegant entrees.lol tongue.gif

com'on Bleys EAT laugh.gif
p
and the boys

`Randa

`Randa

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 105 posts
QUOTE(LaurieAdrienne @ Oct 9 2006, 02:16 PM) View Post

My beloved 18-3/4 yo kitty Bleys is very, very sick.

Laurie, I know you're doing everything possible for your Bleys, and my heart is hurting for you. At more than 18 years, he's more than a pet, and I am sending as much good thoughts as possible your way to help him and you.

Take care of yourself while you're worrying - You're a very important person here and home.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Kim, you are so right that he's a handsome boy and I'll make sure to tell him you said so.

Yes, this is a great 24-hour place and they are used to me calling at strange times. I had a bit of a freakout on Sunday night (er, Monday morning) at about 4:30 a.m. when I woke up convinced that a very, very bad thing had happened while I was sleeping.... the vet tech and vet were both very sweet to me in my panicked state.

I think my hotline number needs to be 1-800-PSYCHO-MOM. (I know it's too many letters, but it's probably a better fit.)

Yes, Caine had a feeding tube for about 6 weeks when his IBD was initially diagnosed. So fortunately the tube feeding won't freak me out (I was pretty stressed when I first had to do it to Caine).

Paula, you are so right about older kitties just not being as interested in food. Well, in my experience anyway. There are probably some old guys out there who are happy to gobble down. I really like the idea of sending hungry thoughts to Bleys -- yes please!!!

Thanks again everyone for your kind words and thoughts. It is really important to me to know you're here.

Laurie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users