Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

my ferals, semi ferals, and grumpy old lady(tuscany)

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Thanks Carol for asking about Josie.  She continues to improve.  She got a new room on monday am cause we had a painter coming and they needed in our closet.  She now has 2 beds to go under but lucky for us they are singles so it is easier to reach for her.  Last pm and tonight we have let her out and she has figured out how to come down stairs to the main level.  We have to watch out though cause there are other cats here and cause there are way too many places to hid and we could "lose" her.  She is playing alot now, got her  a few new toys
(no banana) but still is being coy about us getting our hands on her.  Once she is in our lap she appears to like it and settles in for a good long rubbing.  

I have a recheck appointment on Tuesday.  She will get another xray.  Hopefully I won't have to buy another round of antibiotics.  It is getting harder to nab her for them.  

Mama did finally come home but not before I sent my husband to the shelter to look for her.  He came back saying he checked over 100 cats and she wasn't there.  He was shocked at how many cats were in there in cages.  I kind of told him that's the life Josie will have if we give her to a shelter til/if she got adopted.  Ok, Kim and Nancy, yes we are weakening....  It was probably very good strategy to send him to the shelter.

OK,  got to go find the cat.  I haven't integrated a kitten into this household in forever.  I hope the others can adapt.  I also still want to hold off on too much introduction til I get the all clear from the vet and get the 2nd Felv blood check.  

Hope you all are having a good weekend.   Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
OK,  we give up.  Josie will have a home with us.  It may be under a bed but she will be fed, loved (when she let's me get ahold of her) and warm.  I hope she will settle into being an inside cat.  This isn't quite what we thought about if we ever got another inside cat but as Nancy (I think) said, sometimes they pick you not you pick them.  

Josie did go back to the vet this week.  She had another Xray.  She is finally seeing some clearing on the Xray and her lung sounds are improving.  So it is continuation of the icky Clinamycin  (I swear that is the main reason why she isn't coming to me now) and we will repeat a week of Panacur on the 12th.  

Hope everyone's Christmas/holiday plans are going well.  Joyce

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
QUOTE(mcduck @ Dec 8 2006, 07:50 AM) View Post

OK,  we give up.  Josie will have a home with us.  

banana.gif    banana.gif    banana.gif

It is futile to try and resist the one whose belly you like to rub.  laugh.gif

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
QUOTE(mcduck @ Dec 8 2006, 10:50 AM) View Post
OK,  we give up.  Josie will have a home with us.

Joyce, we knew that.

Several weeks ago.  

roll.gif  roll.gif  (just had to tease you a little!)

Congratulations, Josie!  

carol

carol

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 363 posts
Joyce, just checking in on your new family member, Josie!  How's she doing?

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
I've got one word describe Josie:  KITTEN.  OH what have we done!!  I haven't had a kitten in 13 1/2 years.  Are they like the ever ready bunnies???  Seriously, she is busy exploring the house and playing.  She mostly hangs in our bedroom if given the chance.  I can hear her running around upstairs.  She isn't very delicate in her running or jumping yet.  Mama Fur Face who is double Josie's weight will jump on the bed without us even feeling her.  Josie makes her presence known.  

She was allowed to sleep in our room last pm as MFF didn't come home, again.  I certainly hope Mama isn't staying out in spite of us having Josie in the house.  I don't want to shut her out and there is plenty of room and love for all.  I miss Mama quiet little purr in bed.  

Josie thought it was great fun to launch herself on the bed and sneak up on our toes.  She also did quiet down and snuggle in.  Man, she purrs loud in the middle of the night.

I am having more and more trouble getting her clindamycin liquid in her.  I am to start the round of Panacur again today.  Hopefully there is an end to all this in another 5 -10 days.  I've given up being diplomatic and gentle with Josie.  I now get broom out after 5 minutes of trying to coax her out from under the king size bed.  I can usually use the broom 4 -5 times and get her under the tv stand and then nab her.  If she isn't wise to me I can actually get her locked in the bathroom with me and then it is easier to catch her.  

News from the outside:  Libbey is learning about the sunroom.  I have got her into the sunroom thru the cat door, with me holding the door open.  Last night I got her to go out the door with her doing the pushing open.  Yeah,  another one that might learn that it is warm and cozy in there all winter long.

Haven't seen the probable sibling of Josie's in a few days/week.  It was very elusive anyways and I don't stand with my nose to the window ALL day, honest.  So it might be coming and I just don't see it.  

I may need help soon with my husband.  He is beginning to feel abandoned for cats.  I hope Josie bonds with him so he can share kittie love.   Opps I just tried to add an emoticon and think I hit attachment instead.  There is no attachment.   I have started taking some pictures of Josie.  After the XMas rush I'll try getting some on line.  Which means I have to ask my husband....  Joyce

carol

carol

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 363 posts
Ah, yes, the wonderful KITTEN KRAZIES!  I thought I was going to escape them by adopting "adult" cats, but my 1 year old is about as whacko as a kitten and has just as much energy!  Oh, well, I guess she'll grow out of it in a year or 2 or 3 or 4! LOL And it is amazing how something that only weighs a few pounds can make enough noise and thumping for a herd of elephants! I hadn't had a kitten in 16-1/2 years!

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
OK,  anyone have any suggestions?  I am going up north for the weekend.  We have decided to take Josie with us.  Might as well try to get her acclimated to different circumstances.  I will use the carrier to get her up there.  I will lock her in our bedroom unless we are settled in the house.   I don't want to take the chance of her escaping while someone goes in and out.  I don't think she will be happy with this.  My sister and friend Kim (who had watch Josie for a week while we were gone) both tried to see Josie this weekend.  She did the kat freakout when she saw new people and of course went and hid.  Do these semi ferals, now indoor kittens ever acclamate to other people?  

She still is on clindamycin.  I'm going to do a search after this and see how long the duration of treatment for toxo is.  She certainly seems totally fine now.

She still plays very hard to get.  Shadows you, plays with you but dances out of reach yet at night crawls right up into bed and snuggles in with you and wants to be pet.  Go figure.  Maybe we are less scarey while we are reclining.  

I'm sure Tuscany isn't going to be happy with the travel arrangements.  She hasn't had to share the car with another cat for a few years.

I hope everyone has a good holiday!  Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Well we survived Josie's first trip up north.  She did very well.  Not a peep out of her in the carrier and no bathroom issues either.  Tuscany did her usual 20 minutes of meows before settling in.  I think she realizes that if the car trip is longer than 20 minutes she isn't going to the vets so it is ok.

When we arrived up north the power was out.  I had forgot the key as I usually rely on a punch code on the garage door.  No power, no punch code.  Did finally track down the neighbor who had a key.  Had to go to 4 places to get him - at least it was still before 11pm.  I had visions of which hotel I was going to put 2 cats, my mom on her oxygen and 2 very packed coolers of food.  It was a scarey thought!  

Josie did great.  Mostly hung in the bedroom where I had locked her in the first few hours.  She did explore some of the house later.  After the other 3 people arrived she didn't socialize much except the first morning when 2 of them were up she did go down and watch them, gradually moving in closer.  When I got up she actually jumped on the couch with me briefly and went over to the one guy and swatted at his hand.  So I guess this is some improvement.  

I gave Josie an early christmas present.  I stopped shoving the clindamycin down her throat.  She is starting to come to me more often now.  Hopefully she will forget those 6 weeks of torture soon.

At home here she has the run of the house.  I think she wants to be the alpha cat here.  She is not shy and starts the growling first.  Then she tries to ambush the other cats even as they are growling back.  Josie has the funniest noises.  Her meows are mostly silent or a small squeak.  She growls like a mountain lion and when she is really upset (like if I pick her up without her realizing it is coming or when one of the other cats finally lifts their paws at her) she has this very loud scream.  It is a scarey noise coming from her.

Mama Fur Face isn't at all happy with this cat in her bed.  Josie bounces around alot.  I swear the other morning she was using me as a dive board.  She'd jump up on the bed, then take a flying jump on and off of me, hit the other side of the bed once and then the floor.  She also is still very much into the toes under the covers but she doesn't stop there.  She does this whirling dervish imitation up the legs.  I've tried to figure out what exactly she is doing but if I sit up to look, she stops and leaps off the bed.  Mama doesn't put up with this stuff.  Sometimes we now have growl sessions in bed but more often MFF leaves and sleeps elsewhere.  THis makes me very sad.  I am concerned that MFF will not want to come in anymore and I miss her in bed.  She used to climb up to our chest and sit and purr that quiet purr of hers and snuggle.  Sometimes I'd have to move my head cause she starts to drool and I'm not keen on having the drool hit my lips.....

Tuesday night found my husband and I home alone (at last), done with dishes, wash and cleaning up by 8:30.  Now mind you, our schedules are such that I'm usually just getting home by then and we are just sitting down to eat.  It was very strange to look at the clock and think that I had hours left of the night and could just relax.  We decided to play scrabble in front of the Xmas tree.  Josie joined us and proceded to entertain us.  She was all over that room, doing strange things to the couch,  attacking toys.  Way too much energy there but I think she liked having all that time with us.  MFF and Wee were in there part of the time but wanted no part of the whirling dervish.  

I will take Josie back to the vet next week.  We need another chest xray to see if things have cleared up totally.  She certainly shows no sign of having been so sick.  I think she is also due for another blood test.  It will be a good time to have the claws trimmed again.  Funny,  I can do MFF and Wee's but at this time don't think I could even attempt Josie's.  

Kitten life,  I think as entertaining as it is, I should stick to the adult cats   :>

Hope Santa was good to all of you and the furkids.  Wishing a great 2007 for everyone.  Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Cute kittie story about Josie this am.  I was in the bathroom upstairs where I have a feeding station.  Josie has been drinking and eating here for at least 4 weeks now.  All of a sudden she is studying the water bowl which has cats around the rim and a cat on the inside bottom of the dish.  She decides she needs to get that cat on the bottom of the bowl.  So in goes one paw, quickly out cause it is now wet.  Try the other paw, humm, same thing.  Back goes the first down to the bottom of the water and she is scratching at the picture.  Of course can't remove it so trys with the other paw.  You know cats with water - of course they have to shake those wet paws.  I'm sorry but I was hysterical at these antics.   Water everywhere but it wipes up and it was so worth watching!

It is funny how little antics like this all of a sudden start memories of when Merlot and Tuscany were kittens.  Merlot used to "drown" the fur mice.  I don't know if he thought they needed a cleaning or what.  It was always a bit startling when the mice were pink or blue cause the water would turn that color.

Tuscany was a jewelry thief.  The first time we noticed we had been away for the weekend and came home to find my earrings that I had on the dresser scattered on the floor.  These were just kept in an open glass container.  I matched up the pairs and found that there were 2 different ones missing.  We searched and searched.  Finally found 1 downstairs by the front window.  Couldn't find the other for weeks.  Figured it was long lost, perhaps vacumed up.  It was a small sapphire stud.  One day in the bathroom I heard a odd noise after flushing.  I realized I had been hearing that noise for a few days/week.  Got down on my hands and knees to check inside the toilet and I see something shining in there.  Course had to stick my hand in there to fetch and lo and behold there was my earring.  How long had it been in there?  We certainly had used the toilet I was shocked it hadn't been flushed.  That wasn't the only time Tuscany stole my goods.  Several times I'd find chains that I left out missing.  Once I came home and a gold chain was in their food dish.  She had carried it from the upstairs bedroom down the stairs into the laundry room.   Maybe her and Chloe could do a caper somewhere - chloe steals the money and tuscany gets the jewels...

Joyce

PS:  Nancy or Kim or other trappers:  I want to trap Josie's probably litter mate before it gets pregnant (looks like a girl).  What about mid winter trapping?  Any problems with the hair that gets shaved off?  So far our Michigan winter is ok but that could turn at any moment.

Nancy

Nancy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 267 posts
Hi Joyce;

I haven't been around much...stopped in here to tell you I have some room at the rescue now...and I'm glad you don't need it smile.gif  Hooray that Josie is Home for good!

I haven't done much winter trapping, but will attempt to soon.  We are moving about three miles from my current home and will need to trap and move my ferals, as if I don't my neighbors will trap and kill them!  This will include finally trapping (I hope) my elusive female and she will get fixed when I trap her!  From what I've been told by others it's safe to TNR in the winter!

Hay, you went up North and didn't pop into Frankenmuth to see the rescue...next time you must stop in!  We are only 5-10 minutes off the highway you know wink.gif

Hope your Christmas was Merry and Happy New Year!

Nancy

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 766 posts
QUOTE(mcduck @ Dec 29 2006, 12:56 PM) View Post

Maybe her and Chloe could do a caper somewhere - chloe steals the money and tuscany gets the jewels...

Bite your tongue Joyce!!!!  That's all I need, an accomplice for Chloe that steals jewelry... laugh.gif  A cash thief in the house is bad enough... smokin.gif

Wow, little Josie sounds like she's doing very well!  Aren't kittens fun?  tongue.gif

My little one just learned how to tip over the garbage can.....just great.. cool026.gif

Glad to hear Josie is doing well!  

Laura

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
QUOTE(mcduck @ Dec 29 2006, 12:56 PM) View Post
What about mid winter trapping?  Any problems with the hair that gets shaved off?
Joyce, she'll be fine.  Just remind the vet (or vet tech) not to shave off more than they need to.

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
typing t;his with Wee nudging my arm and Josie sitting at desk.  Amazing, we have a loud friend over and Josie came down and watched us in the kitchen!  Progress.  I've taken a lot of pictures and my New Years resolution is to learn how to put them on site.  Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
JOSIE UPDATE:  We went to the vet yesterday for followup.  She had her 2nd FLV test and it was negative still.  She had another xray - things continue to improve but still not 100 % clear.  She is not on any med and is doing fine.  She continues to become more and more social with us and ventures down when people are over.  Right now she is sitting in front of my screen trying to smash the dancing banana.  Too cute.  Joyce

Nancy

Nancy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 267 posts
Hay Joyce;

I got a very cute kitten in at the rescue, about 13-14 weeks old.  She's black and we named her Nibbles, because she nibbles on everything!  She's also full of energy, kinda like the energizer bunny....I was thinking that Josie needs a friend....LOL!!!!!!!

Nancy

carol

carol

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 363 posts
Hey, Joyce, wonderful news about Josie! The kitty crazies are such fun, aren't they!  Well, well, and then Nibbles could come & stay & you could have twice as much  kitten crazies! LOL

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 766 posts
Great news on Josie...thanks for the update!

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Hey, I do not need another kitten.  Nibbles may be very cute but I am having enough trouble in this house with the cats I already have.  

There seems to be a trickle down effect of *itchyness in my cats.  Tuscany can't stand anyone and gives me a cold shoulder all the time unless I have food in my hand.  Now Mama hardly lets me touch her.   She is staying out of reach and almost anytime I try to get her in from the sunroom she scoots outside again. When I do get her in -it's don't touch me.  Many nights she no longer sleeps on the bed.  One night Josie climbed up to snuggle in, I realized that Mama was up on the same side.  I leaned over to pet her and got a easy bite for my trouble.  Grrrr,  I think Mama is very jealous of Josie.  

None of the cats want anything to do with each other.  It has been better than two years that Mama has been around, over 2 months that Josie has been around.  Will I ever have cats that can be on the same surface with harmony?

I swear Josie is trying to be the alpha cat.  She stalks them all, sometimes charges and screams the loudest should anyone even walk towards her.  

Wee,  just takes it all in stride when she is inside.  Last pm was the first night that I locked her in the sunroom for the whole night.  She seemed fine this am, though I don't think she realizes that the litter box was for her use.  (don't think she did anything anywhere).  Wee does have this bad habit of when she first gets in the house she likes to go in the great room and scratch the carpet.  She doesn't get it that I keep yelling at her when she starts.  She has trees outside, a great scratching post in the sunroom, why does she have to do the carpet!

Ok,  grumping aside, it is fun to have a kitten in the house - most of the time.  Yeah, like this morning when she was swallowing a shoe lace and I had to pull 1/3 of it out of her mouth.  HUmm,  Josie 2K amost cost me alot more money.   Now she just came up on this desk and is laying across my arm purring.  Sweet.

Hope everyone is doing ok. Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
THINKING ABOUT LETTING WEE SLEEP INSIDE THE HOUSE TONIGHT.  HUSBAND IS GONE AND I DON'T WORK TOMORROW SO WHO NEEDS SLEEP, RIGHT?  JUST HOPE IF SHE HAS TO GO SHE REALIZED THE LITTER BOX IS THE PLACE.  JOYCE

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Joyce, I read this kitty tales with such delight. I sure hope you can get some pictures soon. I'd love to match the stories with the faces!

Martha Jane and Baila

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• 766 posts
I'm with Martha Jane...we need some pictures Joyce!!!!! cool026.gif

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
I'm making a promise - by the end of the weekend I will have my husband figure out the picture stuff :>  I did take a bunch over the holidays just for this reason.  I am hoping that the instructions are still on this site somewhere.

WEE did ok last pm,  I slept like *hit.  She kept wanting to crawl on my face.  I think what she really wanted was to be held like I usually do but it wasn't a good position to sleep in.  I was surprised she wasn't meowing thru the night.  The king size bed certainly seemed small with just me and 3 cats in it.  Trouble is, each cat had to have their own space otherwise we had growling going on.  I think I finally got up a 6 am to let Mama and Wee out and went back to bed.  I think I need a better night sleep tonight so it is back to the sunroom for her (locked in).

Tuscany was actually nice to me today!  I sat downstairs (her territory) on the couch with her for about 1/2 hour and she purred the entire time.  That is probably the longest purr fest I've had with her in over 2 years.  

OK, got to get  to bed.  It is off to work in am to tackle the new computer system again.  (Man, did I have a bunch of dreams about that last pm).

Joyce

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Hi Joyce,

The pictures are really pretty easy. Hit 'browse' below the reply screen and find the file on you computer/ CD or wherever you have it stored. Hit 'attach'. After it is attached another option shows up below the reply screen beside the name of the file which is 'add into post'. Hit it! smile.gif  If they won't load the file is to big and can be downsized in windows 'paint' which is found under 'accesories'. There I go to 'image', 'stretch/ skew' and then put in between %15 and %30 for both vertial and horizontal to reduce it enough to post.

If you have trouble let me know and we'll give more details. -- Yes, indeed I'm wanting pictures.

Thanks for the wonderful help with Merlyn today. You all are amazing! Hope you are getting some growl free sleep!

Baila and Martha

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
COMING LATER TODAY:  PICTURES!  I HOPE THIS WORKS.  JOYCE

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
[attachmentid=1664][attachmentid=1656][attachmentid=1657][attachmentid=1658][attachmentid=1659][attachmentid=1660][attachmentid=1661][attachmentid=1662][attachmentid=1663]

Attached Files

Lynette

Lynette

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,384 posts
Hi Joyce,

I am browsing for pictures to cheer me up.  Hope you sort it out soon.

I am so grateful to you for all the support you offered with Merlyn.  I loved my boy so very much and it's nice to know that he touched others as well.

Thank you so much.

Lynette

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
OK<  got pictures in but no names with them.  Guess that is next lesson.  
The Black and white cat is my RB heart cat - MERLOT.  He left in 2004 after us attempting to stop his cancer in his leg by amputating his right front leg off.  We only got 3 months after that.

Tuscany is the calico.  She is nearly 14.  Grumpy and hates all the other cats.

MamaFurFace isn't hard to pick out - she the long haired one that looks like a maine coon.  I've included a butt shot of her - rumor has it some people around here like butt shots??

Wee is the larger of the tabbies.  She is probably 3 years old now.  I attempted another sleep in last pm but Josie wouldn't stop growling at her.  I gave up last night at 3:30.

Josie - the smaller, darker kitten.  She was aabout 5 months old in the pictures.  She sure is growing.  She has doubled her weight since I trapped her in November.  She reminds me of Kris S.  black cat - long and sleek.  She has spunk.

So there is the gang - at least the ones that let me handle them.  Enjoy,  Joyce

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Oh Joyce, we did indeed enjoy! What TERRIFIC pictures! Real smile inducers and it's great fun to see the faces behind the stories. Josie looks sooo cute, and being a brown tabby (which I think are ALWAYS the sweetest!) I just can't imagine her growlin! smile.gif

IPB Image This little picture of Josie is so cute it's unbearable - by the way, did the flowers in the next picture make it- they sure appear to be i peril in the picture!

Hope you're getting some sleep tonight!

Chin rubs to all who will accept them! smile.gif

Martha Jane and Baila

ps. Thank you for working so hard to help give Merlyn the best chance he could get!

Edited by Baila, 29 January 2007 - 04:11 AM.

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Love it, love it, love it!!!!

What wonderful pictures. Joyce, thank you so much for taking the time to share your babies with us. Your babies are all beautiful!

I have to tell you, the shot of MamaFurFace posing perkily with her tail up and her, ahem, nether regions exposed just cracks me up. Her pose makes me think of those silly photos in those "gentlemen's magazines." Something about the way she is looking back over her shoulder with her butt in the air, hahahahahahaa!!!!

"PLAYCAT OF THE MONTH" PROFILE

NAME:
MamaFurFace

TURN-ONS:
Posing under the Christmas tree, a warm and cuddly blanket, a bit of drooling. Ooh la la!

TURNOFFS:
Loud noises, boisterous kittens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users