Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

my ferals, semi ferals, and grumpy old lady(tuscany)

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Hey Nancy - what are you doing this Friday?  I'm going up north and could be passing by......

I have a dilema ccl and need some help.  My inside cats as you know are Tuscany and now Josie (rescued in November).  My outside ferals that come inside are Mama fur face and Wee.  I am on talking/touching basis with a few others.  

The problem is Wee.  She adores me so much that she has become very protective of me and the door and to some extent the yard.  She is there almost all the time.  This winter she did have inside/bed privledges but frankly she was a PIA with her meow and her hissing/starting fights with Josie for position on the bed.  Now outside this spring/summer she is challanging Mama almost all the time.  Mama can barely make it to the door without being chased by Wee.  If I am outside Wee hangs with me and chases Mama off (bites/nails etc - not just a chase and Mama doesn't usually do anything back).  Mama often can't get inside cause Wee is guarding the door.  Tonight Janie came up to eat (a cat I can't pet or even talk to) and Janie was polite and greeted Wee with a nice rub and head butt then Wee turned on her on got her in a head lock.  

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?  Yelling isn't acomplishing anything.  I can't stay mad at her too long - I try ignoring her while I am outside but is a  bit hard when she is in your face constantly.

We were gone the last 3 nights.  I got Mama inside - after the Janie incident I did bring Wee inside.  Nobody was on good behaviour - everyone was growling at each other.  I finally had to boot Wee back outside.  I feel bad - this is a feral that will sit in my lap for hours if I let her but is she getting pathological??

Other issues - Josie is becoming a big door darter.  So far she hasn't escaped but what can I expect if she does????  My vet is finally chipping so I need to make an appointment - do they need anesthesia for this?  

Meanwhile - going to venture up north next weekend with the two innies.  Josie was up there at Christmas = doubt that she will remember.  Speaking of remembering - she shadow boxes with Janie (her litter mate ) alot thru the door - thinks she does remember her???  I somehow doubt that is possible - especially if they can't smell each other....

Sorry to not have been around much.  We started this computer records at work in January and has taken a tremendous amount of time and energy.  I don't have much interest in computers once I get home.  Unfortunately, my "partner" quit the computer system while I was away in May - it is all a mess.........

Hope eveyone is well.........Suggestions on the Wee thing would be welcomed.

Oh- one more thing - when you trim cat nails - do they usually get thicker over time and not as thin and weapony?  I've been trimming Josie's nails - they seem thicker and not too many get thin/sharp like they used to.

Joyce

Lynette

Lynette

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
Hi Joyce!  It's good to see you here, you have been missed!

Oh- one more thing - when you trim cat nails - do they usually get thicker over time and not as thin and weapony?

I have noticed this to be the case.  I don't trim my cats nails because there is nothing in my home that they can damage.  But my RB kitty Darby who was diabetic and went to the vet A LOT always got his trimed when he was there and I noticed that they had gotten thicker.

As far as the Wee issue...hmmmm she doesn't respond when you yell?  That works for me but then I make it sound much different than I sound normally.  Loud, deep and angry.  It scares the hell out of them and they stop in their tracks or run with not another thought about what they had been involved in before the yell.  You need to startel her.  I know people who have used keys dropping on the floor to stop unwanted behavior but that wouldn't work outside on the lawn.  What about a small metal can with the plastic lid and filled (not filled but a few) quarters or coins.  It could even be one of those Crystal Light canisters that are plastic, I think.  If you drop it or throw it near her I bet you she stops her behavior and then I would try the scary yell.  I don't know...just a thought.  I bet there will be more and better ideas than this but it's a try.  A spray bottle wouldn't work cuz you would have to be close enough to stop something already in progress.

Hope you can get it figured out smile.gif  Again it's good to hear from you!

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Well,  I have an appointment for a spay/neuter on Thursday.  Wonder how many raccoons I'll catch thru the night in the attempt to get a cat.

Sure would like to catch Janie- Josie's litter mate.  She is still small and doesn't look well.  Not sick like eyes, nose runny stuff but seems to be a bit winded  (shades of Josie) and I have had her coughing some.  If I catch her I am thinking that she may need some tx before they can even spay her  (I think she might be looking pregnant).  I am wondering if she has issues with the round worm into her lung like I think Josie did.  Anybody have spays held up cause the cat didn't quite seem right???

I am sorry to say that I have given in to the very sad sad eyes of Josie and her sad song while watching us outside during this nice weather.  Yes - I've let her out on  a leash.  I kept trying to tell myself that I wasn't going to do it but.....  She is under major supervision - she even goes in if I have to pee - no just hooking her up to the nearest tree.  She does seem to like it and is curious.  Seems fairly relaxed about it once she got the hang of the collar and leash.  She's even just jumped up into my lap and curled up to sleep while I read my book.  No - I will not let her loose - no matter what her sad song may say.  I think she just likes being with me.  At least this is good training/trial to see if I'd be able to take her sailing with us.... Yes,  I'm insane.....

Got to go to bed.  Up early.  Got to go see if Mama wants to come in for the night.  These nice warm nights - it gets hard to get her in.  Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
YIPEE!  I caught Janie last pm.  I am fairly certain she is Josie's litter mate but what a difference in size.  Janie is only 4.5 lbs and Josie is 9 lbs.  They should be about 11 months old.  Janie was spayed this am.  She had a virgin uterus and did not even look like she had ever gone into heat.  I'm so glad that I'm not leaving some babies alone tonight or didn't have to abort a litter.   She was feline Leuk negative.  Got her ear tip and some shots/deworm.  Good way for her to be turned out again.  

I also had Josie checked today.  She is a picture of health.  She was microchipped today  (as was Wee earlier in the week).  Now to get Mama in for her microchipping.  I didn't realize how reasonably priced (relatively speaking) it was.  

Tuscany was also in to the vet's this week.  Her senior blood is doing ok.  Slight increase in her BUN but the creat was actually a little better at 2.1.  Her sugar was great and she has a slight decrease white blood count that they aren't concerned with.  She is still a fat chix at nearly 13 lbs.  - had only lost  1 oz.

Hope everyone is staying cool with all this warm weather.  Joyce

Lynette

Lynette

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
Hi Joyce,

So happy to hear that you were able to finally catch Janie and get her spayed.

Please give all your kids some smootchies and scritches from me!

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
SITTING HERE ON MY PATIO - ISN'T WIRELESS GREAT.  I'VE GOT JOSIE OUT ON A LEASH - LITTLE BUGGER ALMOST CAUGHT A CHIPPIE.  JANIE HER SISTER KEEPS TRYING TO PLAY WITH HER - OR THE LEASH.  WEE IS LAYING AT MY FEET.  HOW'S THAT FOR A LITTLE SLICE OF HEAVEN TODAY.

MAMA FUR FACE GOT MICROCHIPPED TODAY.  THAT IS 3 OF MY GIRLS DONE.  IF ONLY JANIE WOULD BE A BIT FIRENDLIER TO ME.......SHE HANGS AND PLAYS BUT WONT LET ME GET CLOSER THAN 2-3 FEET.

DUKE -STILL CAN'T GET THAT BUGGER IN A CAGE.  BUT AFTER 3 1/2 YEARS OF BEING FED BY ME HE FINALLY GOT WITHIN 2 FEET TO EAT.  HE IS ONE STUBBORN OLD CAT.

MY SISTERS CAT IS VERY SICK - PROBABLY RELATED TO PANCREAS.  SHE HAD SOME SPECIAL BLOOD TESTS  (??PLI AND SOMETHING ELSE???)  SUPPOSED MARKERS THAT WERE OFF THE WALL.  SHE IS TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO.  aNYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?  I WAS THINKING OF GOING BACK AND READING JADES OLD ENTRIES - NOT SURE IF HER ISSUE WAS PANCREAS.  
ABBY IS VOMITING OFF/ON AND IS LOSING WEIGHT.  

HOPE EVERYONE ENJOYS THE LAST BIT OF SUMMER.  WHY DOES TIME GO SO FAST AS WE GET OLDER??   JOYCE

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
GRRRR,  NO MAMA SINCE MONDAY AM, DESPITE THE COLDER, WET WEATHER.  THIS IS THE LONGEST WE HAVE EVER GONE WHILE HOME WITHOUT SEEING HER.  I AM GETTING DESPARATE.  I DON'T THINK THAT HER MICROCHIP IS ACTIVATED YET - THE VET BATCH SENDS THEM INTO THE COMPANY.  OF COURSE I AM SECOND GUESSING THAT SHE IS GONE CAUSE OF WEE, GONE CAUSE JOSIE IS INSIDE ALL THE TIME.  SHOULD HAVE FORCED HER TO STAY IN .....  VERY SAD  :(

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
I KNOW THAT MAMA WOULD BE INSIDE IF SHE WAS ABLE TO GET HERE - IT IS RAINING LIKE CRAZY - SHE WOULDN'T CHOOSE TO BE OUT IN THIS....

StillPuddles

StillPuddles

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 112 posts
Hi Joyce;

I hadn't been able to post most of this summer, but finally Jacki got things reset for me smile.gif

Sorry to hear that Mama is missing.  Hope she comes home soon!  It really has been rotten weather here in Michigan the last few days.  The weather is on now and they say it's supposed to keep up for a few more days.

I think that mama's micro-chip would still scan, but if the vet hasn't sent in the info. you are right the number won't link to anything...maybe you can call the company and tell them what is going on.  The vet gave you some stickers or something with her code # on it right?  When we chip at the rescue, it is immediately activated via the computer.  I also immediately test scan and the chip reads right away...

Keeping mama in our prayers!

Nancy

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Last pm I tried 3 x to put a message here - it was a pretty sad, dismal message about mama being missing....... 3 times this message (which got shorter each time) disappeared.  Was I being told something???

LATE THIS AFTERNOON ON MY WALK THRU THE WOODS HOLLARING FOR MAMA I HEAR A RESPONSE - A REAL ONE - NOT WEE OR JANIE.  IT SOUNDED SO LIKE MAMA - AND THANK GOD THERE SHE WAS!  9 DAYS WITHOUT SEEING HER, A VISIT TO THE VERY DISMAL SHELTER LOOKING AT ALL THOSE SAD EYED CATS AND THERE SHE WAS - ALL INTACT AND LOVEY.  SUCH A RELIEF OFF MY SHOULDERS - MAMA FUR FACE IS A VERY SPECIAL CAT TO ME  (ONE THAT I AM SURE WOULD NEVER HAD MADE IT IN THE SHELTER - WHO PROBABLY WOULD HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN CHECKED BY THE SHELTER PEOPLE FOR A CHIP - BUT THAT WAS LAST NIGHTS STORY).  I AM JUST SO THANKFUL THAT SHE IS HERE TONIGHT -WHOLE AND UNHARMED.

I THINK MY HUSBAND'S THEORY ON MAMA BEING UNHAPPY WITH WEE'S CHASING HER OFF IS CORRECT.  WHEN I WENT TO GET MAMA TONIGHT - THERE WAS WEE AGAIN GROWLING AND TRYING TO CHARGE MAMA.  MAMA SITS THERE AND SCREAMS BACK AT HER.  WHAT AM I TO DO???

THANKS NANCY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ON MAMA - I HAD A FEW PEOPLE PULLING FOR HER.  I AM GLAD FOR MORE TIME WITH HER.     JOYCE

Lynette

Lynette

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
OMG Joyce - I am so relieved that you found Mama Furface.  I have been very worried about her.

I am doubly glad you found her because it gives me hope that my case - Stinky will show up eventually.  He escaped from where his mom works.  I am very worried about him.

But I am very happy for you and for Mama.

Wee - you be nice!!!

StillPuddles

StillPuddles

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 112 posts
Joyce;

I'm so happy to read that mama is back.  I'm sure she was so happy to see you in the woods too!  Is Wee one of her babies?  I can't remember if there is any relationship,etc.

Are both Wee and mama indoor/outdoor cats now?  What are the odds of mama becoming indoor only?  I know how hard it is for the human to not give in, but really after a bit they settle in!  My brother had a cat for about 10 years that was our "office" cat at work.  He was an alley cat that we tamed and at first he had a cat door in our plumbing business and then we finally took it out, because we became so afraid of something bad happening to him.  He never missed that door and lived many happy years at the store then with my brother when the store closed!  

Another option is maybe giving Wee somekind of medicine to make her chill out...try the homopathic stuff, like rescue remedy first and if that doesn't work see if the vet can suggest something.  I had two indoor female cats that got along great for years, then suddenly they began to fight so intensely that they would urinate during the battles.  They would have to be seperated after fights and given drugs (this was years ago and I can't remember what we gave them) to mellow them out and then we reintroduced them.  They would go from weeks to months w/o fighting and then start all over again.  It was really strange, we could never tell what would set them off!

Hug mama for me!  I'm glad she's home with all the rain we got the last few days and the stuff you all are supposed to be getting tonight!

hugs;
nancy

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Wow, can't believe it has been a year since I've done an update....

My current problem is Duke, the feral that I've been unable to catch - though truth be told I've stopped trying.  He comes by for food at least 4 days a week.  He is currently limping - and has gotten worse in the last week.  It now looks like his front rt leg is slightly swollen and perhaps oozing? - it was darkish and I was trying to see thru the window with a flashlight on the area.   So, how am I going to catch the bugger and if he needs meds that seems like it would be an impossibility.  Any suggestions??

Tuscany is still her same old fat self.  She is getting hard of hearing - she doesn't hear you come up on her any more.  She is less grumpy with Josie now - instead Josie stalks her and threatens to swipe her.

Mama Fur Face - still here most nights to come inside.  She has with the nicer weather skipped some nights but has done better about coming by more regularly early am/pm so I least have seen her for the day.  

Wee - still my lovable lap velcro cat.  I can't keep her away from me.  It is even worse outside cause she has to be there with me - you know how hard it it to pull weeds when the cat keeps collapsing in front of you on the flowers??  She comes in most nights, is not as vocal in the house - thankfully.  She is still sleeping usually right next to me.  She still chases the other cats - mostly mama - but Josie also (who now has given up her bed spot to Wee)

Josie - not so little any more.  I had another medical bout this last January - she had lung worm.  I still wonder if that was her problem all along and it was reemerging but who knows.  She seems to be better.  She is getting a little bigger than I'd like - she probably is close to - gulp - 12 lbs.  Can't  believe she is 2 now.  She is socializing better with other people - has even lately gone up to visitors!  She does not have the hang of the leash.  Has learned to back out of it - so mostly stays inside.  It is pitiful cause she runs from window to window when I am outside and crys.

Haven't seen any of the other ferals in a long time.  Probably at least 9 mos??  Did they find a better deal?  Are they even alive?  Did Wee run them off?  At least I don't have any new babies or any new females - I've seemed to make a significant dent in my colony reproduction  

So if anyone has any suggestions about Duke, let me know.  I'll probably set the trap again and see if I can get him in.  I've heard about a drop trap but now sure what that entails.  I just hope that when/if I get him he isn't too sick to help.  JOyce

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Hi Joyce --

Here's some info about drop trapping:  

CatInfo.org

Sounds like Duke may have a bite wound/abscess on his leg.  A drop trap would be a good way to get him, but in the meantime you could try putting some antibiotics in his food.  

Another thought:  If you can get him to a vet, ask them about doing a Convenia injection.  It's a new, long-acting antibiotic and it's esp. suited to skin infections and wounds.  Could be a good option for a feral cat, rather than having to crate him for antibiotics twice/day.

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
kim - good to hear from you.  That is a great video on a drop trap - not sure if I'll get one made in time but perhaps could improvise.  Haven't seen duke for a few days now.  I think I'll try setting my regular trap and see if he shows.  As usual, I'll probably get the raccoons or the 'posum that I've been seeing.  Good call on the long acting antibiotic.  My other choice was going to ask the vet for pill form of an antibiotic that I could put in cheese pockets for him - but if he only shows up every 3 days or so that doesn't get much antibiotic in him.  If he gets trapped - I wonder if they would neuter while he was infected.....  Thanks again - your input is always great and appreciated.  Joyce

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
You're welcome, Joyce.  I appreciate all you've done for these guys.  For what it's worth, Duke should be OK for neuter (and vaccs) as long as the vet doesn't think he's got an infection that's gone throughout his system.  We S/N ferals with abscesses/wounds all the time, unless the cat is really debilitated.  Often it would stress the cat more to hold it for a time and then do the surgery.  If you let it back out, you might not be able to retrap.  In Duke's case, I'd let the vet know how long you've been trying to trap him, and let him make the call on neutering.  Hopefully it'll be a "yes."  (Remember, too, that neutering isn't nearly as invasive as spaying.)

Good luck!

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Update:  I was able to get some baytril from the vet for Duke last Friday.  So far he has had 3 doses.  I know not not most ideal not being able to give to him every day but I hope it is better than nothing.   Kind of hard to plan trapping when the bugger doesn't show up every night.  (pill given in cheese pockets).

Worse news:  Tuscany went in for her blood last Friday.  She has had some mild renal insufficiency and that remains about the same:  bun 40 and creat 2.4/  Worse though is her sugar - it was 338.   I've been waiting for my fat chick to turn diabetic and I guess it is here.   The vet wants to retest the glucose and get a urine (I'm also going to insist on a cbc, liver, and her thyroids).  She will go back on Tues for this.  In the meantime I have spent hours on the feline diabetes site.  I have gone out and bought a glucose monitor and she will no longer be getting any dry food.  I've printed off all the info on the wet foods and will be looking for some that are lower carbs, low phos and moderate protein.  I am hoping that the diet change will help for awhile.  She is not too symptomatic - perhaps a little more water intake but not losing weight and really not always urinating more.  She did have her blood checked 7 months ago and the sugar was only mildly up but ok for the stress of going to vet.  

It will be hard to do insulin with our schedules.  There are days where we are both gone 12 hrs or more working.  There is no one else home.  We also travel alot.  I am already thinking ahead about boarding vs trying to get someone else taught on insulin shots etc.  

Got to get to bed.  Will attempt the first home sugar reading tomorrow night.  I hope to have several that I can give the vet on Tuesday.  Wish me luck.  Joyce

Guest_PetAngel_*

Guest_PetAngel_*
  • Guests
Joyce;

Do you still have my e-mail?  Please drop me one- I have some friends that are great "experts" on diabetic cats and I'll pass your info onto them.  I'm sure they will be a wonderful support for you and Tuscany!

Are you ever going to stop and visit?

Hugs;
Nancy

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Hi Nancy - I'll look for your email later.  We got the glucometer out tonight.  Tuscany was very patient with us.  3 lancets, 5 sticks and 2 test strips later we had our sample.  The last one that gave us enough blood was thru the ear :( .  She didn't seem to feel much and I am sure we will get better.  I was hoping for a lower reading.  It was 250.  She had 1/4 can food this am - this was 12 hrs later, no dry food to munch on thru the day and the speciman was before I fed her tonight.  It is only one day off the dry.  At least I'll have some readings for the vet to see.  I need to go find some better wet food for her - I will either do that tomorrow night or Saturday after work.  

Duke did show again tonight - 3 Baytrils in a row - should hopefully start to help that leg of his.  

Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Nancy - the email address I found was for the rescue - I'll try that and at least send my address thru again.  Thanks.  Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Well we didn't do much better tonight with our sticking.  Tuscany was a trooper thru it all - purring away.  We did manage on the ? 5th stick to get blood from the back side of the ear this time - It was 160 tonight.  We have a dialable lancet mechanism.  Does anyone have suggestions for what setting?  I think we are on 6 or 7 but are afraid of continuing to pierce her ear.  I am using the calculations that I found saying that for an ideal weight of 12 lbs (which would still be heavy for her) she needs to have betw 180 and 300 calories a day depending on activity.  According to the Janet and Binky chart the little can of food I used tonight was only 80 calories - and she probably had about 80 from this morning.  I might have to bump this up.  I know - I need to get over to the diabetes site and probably discuss this stuff over there.

Nancy - I'll look for your recs in my mailbox.  Thanks.  Joyce

Guest_PetAngel_*

Guest_PetAngel_*
  • Guests
Joyce;

I'm calling the people right now to tell them about you and Tuscany and will send you their number shortly.

Nancy

Guest_PetAngel_*

Guest_PetAngel_*
  • Guests
Joyce;

did you get my e-mail?  

Nancy

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
wow, can't believe it's been a year since I posted here.  I've lurked a few times but have been hanging out on feline diabetes message board now.  
Yes, Tuscany after her diet change last august did very well til about end of february and then the sugars started up.  She has been on Lantus now since beginning of March.  I guess she is doing well (16 y/o now) - though could be better - we are working on it.

Josie is the big girl of the house now.  Sassy, Mildly vocal and a love on her time.  She really likes to snuggle when I'm on the 'puter.  

Mama Fur Face and Wee still are here - they still do go out during the day and most nights do come in.  They have done well - Wee still likes to try chasing the other cats away from me - very demanding of my attention.

Only other feral that I still feed is the male - Duke.  Never did get him in the cage to get neutered.  But at least my cat parade has stopped for the last 2 yrs.  

Miss "chatting" over here!  Joyce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users