Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

my ferals, semi ferals, and grumpy old lady(tuscany)

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Well, got another one fixed yesterday.  Annie has been hanging around for awhile so I finally got the trap out, made the appointment at the vets and got her.  I was using that new (great) trap that Kim had recommended - the vets sure liked the squeeze bar.

God finally answered my prayers for some gene pool variation.  I wanted some other cat besides tabbies.  Well, now I have a large orange male.  He has been visiting - but the joke is on me.  He is fixed and as it turns out belongs to the people behind me.  They send him out with a flea collar, a blue collar with a bell but no name/phone number.  Neither of these are break away collars.  And the poor guy is declawed in the front.  He can be out for hours totally unsupervised.  Some people......

Rest of the gang seems fine.  Tuscany (not feral) has done fine since her ear surgery.  You can't even tell she has a piece missing.

Mama Fur Face is still consenting to come in at night.  Nothing new with her.

Wee is such a sweety.  I predict she will be inside by winter.  I took her upstairs for the 2nd time this am.  She isn't sure what to do with the stairs so scares the hell out of me when see looks over/goes under the railings up at top.

Buzz I haven't seen in at least 6 weeks.  Not sure if he is on a walk about and will show back up or not.  He had been getting less predictable about coming down - and it would be 2 weeks or so between sitings and getting longer.

Libby comes and goes with no pattern.  It has been a few weeks since I've seen her.  

Duke - the only one not fixed and very trap wise - he will probably import himself another girlfriend now that I shut his last baby factory down.  Maybe he needs to change his preference to a calico or a b/w...

I am finding it hard to spend much time on this new site.  Therefore not yet sure if I like the new set up (I know, like I have a choice).  I still was never able to find Merlot's site on Rainbow bridge - that saddens me as I still think of him most days.  21 months - you'd think it get a little easier.  Maybe if I finally buried him and got his marker up that I bought.  Or maybe he was just that special of a cat.  

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying summer.  Joyce

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Hi Joyce,

I'm pretty new to the block here. I was probably on the old forum only slightly over a month before it was moved here and even I have had a hard time getting use to the new forum. Still, I must admit to being wowed daily by the magic found here and am therefore learning to adapt.  Case in point, I love this update on all your cats.  you are definitely one very dedicated CCL and have been for a long time!. smile.gif

I just tried to search for Merlot and couldn't find him either.  I'm sure you are familiar  with the hacker at the old site that caused so much trouble. I believe Jacki has ttried to archive everything she possibly could so it may still be able to be found.  I sure hope so. Sounds like he was "that special of a cat" and could very well be your Magic.

I'm looking forward to finding out if Duke "imports himself another girlfriend" and the next chapters in general.

Martha Jane

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Hi Joyce,

I'm pretty new to the block here. I was probably on the old forum only slightly over a month before it was moved here and even I have had a hard time getting use to the new forum. Still, I must admit to being wowed daily by the magic found here and am therefore learning to adapt.  Case in point, I love this update on all your cats.  you are definitely one very dedicated CCL and have been for a long time!. smile.gif

I just tried to search for Merlot and couldn't find him either.  I'm sure you are familiar  with the hacker at the old site that caused so much trouble. I believe Jacki has ttried to archive everything she possibly could so it may still be able to be found.  I sure hope so. Sounds like he was "that special of a cat" and could very well be your Magic.

I'm looking forward to finding out if Duke "imports himself another girlfriend" and the next chapters in general.

Martha Jane

Nancy

Nancy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 267 posts
Hi Joyce;

Good to hear from you...I was wondering if you were out of the country or something smile.gif

When you coming to visit?  Soon I hope!

Hugs to all your kitties!

Nancy

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Hey Nancy, yeah as a matter of fact I was out of the country for the last 2 weeks of July.  It takes so dang long to catch back up at work that I'm only just getting back to stalking here.  And now I find myself hosting a small (can you say shotgun) wedding at my house this weekend.  Too many things going on.

Martha Jane, thanks for looking for Merlot's thread.  It would be nice if it still showed up somewhere, sometime.  Before I had left (before the hacker) I had tried to search with the search instructions but never had luck either.  Oh well - any one out there have anymore Rainbow Bridge pets to still copy over???  

Did see Annie on Sunday.  She seems to be doing fine - just a little more skitterish around me but I expect that.  Hope she does well.  Joyce

Baila

Baila

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
Throw out the appetizer "shot-gun wedding" with no more details sure leaves us hungry! smile.gif

Martha Jane and Baila

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Hey, is it good news or am I now truely a CCL?  My vet has given me a person to call who wants to start trapping her ferals and thought I could give this person some good pointers or help.  Yikes!  Me with only 5 traps under my belt.

On to other news, last pm I snuggled with Wee in the sunroom for 45 minutes on the couch.  I think we both feel asleep.  I finally had to get up to go to my bed - humm, what's it say when the feral out lasts you?   And tonight, Wee actually followed me up the stairs to my bedroom.  She has been carried up there 3 times but never before ventured up and down on her own.  I'm betting by the time winter flies she will be staying in all night.  Just wish I could feel comfortable with litter box issues.  Does she even know what one is for??

Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
YEAH!!  Little Wee has figured out that she can come IN the sunroom, not just go out.  So the last three am's she has been inside this heated room sleeping on the couch when we got up.  I am so relieved to know that she can choose not to be cold now.  

Now, if only I can figure out, who despite their revolution treatment, just gave me a flea (assumption) cause I have 5 bites!  Ugh.  Haven't seen any in the house but I have the willies again.   Every little black dot (and mama brings in alot of those little burrs that are little black dots) are suspect now.....

Hope everyone is staying warm.

I don't post on alot of the areas but I keep up to date,  I hope Teddie, Cody, Bleys and all the other fur kids con't to improve.  Joyce

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
QUOTE(mcduck @ Oct 4 2006, 09:49 PM) View Post

Hey, is it good news or am I now truely a CCL?  My vet has given me a person to call who wants to start trapping her ferals and thought I could give this person some good pointers or help.  Yikes!  Me with only 5 traps under my belt.
Joyce, I'm catching up on some threads today and just wanted to say HURRAY for your vet referring someone to you who needs help with their ferals.  You've obviously made an impression on him/her with your dedication to getting the cats spayed/neutered.  Many of the "regulars" at our TNR clinics are folks just like you who started out trapping their own colony and then branched out to helping others because they had the equipment and the expertise.  So I think it's GREAT if you can help someone else.  biggrin.gif  The more people who know there's an alternative to trap-kill (or just letting the cats continue to breed), the better.  

Re: the litter box -- Worry not!  I've fostered lots of feral kittens and have also crated adult ferals who needed antibiotics for wounds, etc., and they all figure out what the box is for.   dog.gif  

Blinks to Wee and the rest of your babes.  whitekitty.gif

Nancy

Nancy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 267 posts
Joyce;

Dropped you an e-mail about the dentist kitties and didn't hear back...drop me a line so we can work on them OK?

Kim;

How do ferals do caged?  I need to rehome four of them and need to figure out temp. quarters until a suitable barn home can be found...Is crating them an option?

Nancy

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
QUOTE(Nancy @ Oct 13 2006, 01:07 PM) View Post

How do ferals do caged?  I need to rehome four of them and need to figure out temp. quarters until a suitable barn home can be found...Is crating them an option?
It's always better to find the barn home first and then move them directly there, but if that can't be done, yes you can crate ferals.  You have to factor in that they'll need to be crated at the new place for at least 2 wks, so you don't want them in crates for too long prior to the move.  Watch for signs of depression - are they eating, etc.?  

Also, the best setup is to put 2 large dog crates together (fold down the back side of one and the front side of the other one and then use cable ties to connect them.  That way the cats can be in the rear crate and their litter box, food & water in the front crate.  With a little "distance" from the person who's feeding/scooping, the cats feel less threatened.  They're also less likely to try to bolt past you.  I always put a carrier in the rear crate, with door tied open, and they almost always use that as a "safe place."  

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
OH NO,  Here I go again.  My husband was at the back door this evening insisting that there was a kitten outside.  Of course I didn't see it and I figured since he doesn't know the cats as well that it was probably Annie (the last of the ones I fixed this year).  Of to bed he goes and of course I now am glued at that window in case something comes back.        

OH NO,  wouldn't you know it, I have a Kitten.  God still hasn't answered my prayers for gene pool variation - it is another tabby.  I am better these days at telling when a cat is pregnant then how old a kitten is but I think this one is around 3 - 4 months of age.  Annie was kind of hang with it so I wonder if it was one of Annie's kittens.  Sure takes them a long time to bring them down to the feeding dish.  

When Annie was spayed the vet thought she was just finishing up nursing or had a small litter and didn't have much milk.  This Kitten and Annie were not lovey together.  They didn't share the food dish very well and each kept taking swipes at each other.  Not sure if that means they aren't related or that the mom is finally tired of the little one hanging around.

Guess I have to get the trap out again.  This one is young enough I don't think I should release it back out but rather find someone  (??Nancy??) to socialize it and perhaps find a home.    Joyce

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
QUOTE(mcduck @ Oct 17 2006, 12:28 AM) View Post

God still hasn't answered my prayers for gene pool variation - it is another tabby.
  laugh.gif
Joyce, if you can trap the kitten and take it in to be spayed/neutered, ask your vet to assess age (or you can tell by weight -- a 3 mo old kitten weighs about 3 lbs, a 4 mo old weighs about 4 lbs, etc.).  If this kitten is already 4 mo old, don't try to socialize.  3 mo is dicey too.  It will be just fine if you TNR.  We're too close to cold weather now to keep the kitten inside for taming..... then decide it's too feral or shy for adoption.... and then put it back out.   Just my opinion.  smokin.gif

Nancy

Nancy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 267 posts
Joyce;

I agree with the master (Kim), 3 or 4 months is pretty old for taming!  Sometimes I have a 3 or 4 month old that comes running up to someone and is friendly...don't know why that is...but most are not and are already feral.

Time for another TNR!

Now..how old are those kittens at the dentists???

Nancy

P.S. NO, I'm not just trying to get out of taking the kitten..if it shows any signs of tameness (is that a word, lol), call me!

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Hi - Kitten back again this am with Annie.  Cute, even if it is a tabby:>  It didn't run as far this am.  Maybe I am not as spooky in the daylight.  I did get it to play a very little bit with a leather rope - til it figured out I was attached to it.  Beautiful eyes....

Nancy, regarding the dentist.  Those kittens are probably too old now.  (They are probably having babies now...).  I thought they were maybe 4 months old at the end of August......   They were definately bigger than the little one that is here at the house.  So I guess I will stop thinking about them, living on that wooded lot on the corner of two very busy streets.....   They were very beautiful (and not tabbies).  

Yeap, going to call the vet and set something up.  I think they can spay/neuter after they weigh 3 lbs, right??  

Joyce

Laura IMOM

Laura IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 766 posts
I think they can spay/neuter after they weigh 3 lbs, right??

It depends on your vet, I have one vet that will S/N anything over 2lbs, another that will only do 3lbs and over, then my personal vet who will not S/N until they are 5lbs.  So different vets have different policies.

All of our ferals are either black or black and white....meebe we should work out a trade?   smokin.gif   I love the tabbies.  smile.gif

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
QUOTE(mcduck @ Oct 17 2006, 12:32 PM) View Post

I think they can spay/neuter after they weigh 3 lbs, right??
Laura's right -- depends on what the vet feels comfortable with.  But if you have a vet who's familiar with early age S/N, kittens do fine with surgery at 8 wks/2 lbs.  We S/N the little feral guys at that age all the time and I can honestly say that younger kittens do better than older ones -- they wake up faster, and on the females there's less abdominal fat to cut through and you don't have to worry about them being in heat or pregnant.  

Nancy, I should have added a caveat to what I said before:  we have these age guidelines re: taming, but there are always exceptions to the rule (esp. since cats don't follow no stinkin' rules!  smokin.gif )  So yes, if the kitten is older but happens to be unusually calm for a feral or is actually tame (as in someone dumped her), then by all means foster-adopt.

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Laura,  Sing me up for the trade.  I would love a b/w cat again.  I still miss Merlot.

At least after 2 years of hanging with the tabbies I can start to see differences in their markings.  Some are more carmel, some more beige, some more tan and sometimes the stripe pattern is very distinctive.  Wee has a swirl on one of her sides.  This new baby has two prominent black stripes.  

It is funny, the first thing I check when I see a cat out there is their ear tip.  Helps me make sure it is "mine".  Then I start scanning the subtle differences.  Annie is so skinny and long legged.  Mama Fur Face is the only one with the long hair and ear tufts.  Duke is just plain big and not fixed.  My husband mixes them up more than I do, but then I'll spend hours out with them.  Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
I have the trap out tonight.  Right off caught a huge raccoon.  He's lucky that he isn't being deported like the others we have caught:>  The baby has been by the trap at least 2 times.  Actually gets all 4 feet in but won't go to the back.  Frustrating!!  I hope it finally goes in.  I'd like to get this one fixed before the winter.

Haven't seen Annie in a few weeks now.  I do worry about those that I have fixed when they don't show.  No Buzz for 4 months, Libby hasn't been around for 2 months or so (but has gone for longer and come back).  At least Mama Fur Face and Wee are pretty consistant.

I had a horrible nightmare this am.  I dreamt that Merlot (RB 11/05 - thanksgiving weekend it will be two years for my heart cat.  His site on his  amputation, fight with cancer and death went missing this last summer with the hacker and the switch to this new site)  I dreamt that I woke up and realized that I had left Merlot outside hooked up on his leash.  I went outside to find him and saw huge clumps of black and white fur all over - then I saw his face (or what was left- it was his mouth and nose)  In my dream I started screaming and screaming.  I woke up and started sobbing.  I didn't get much sleep after that.  Odd, too,  Mama who usually sleeps all night thru was up and downstairs meowing softly.  I also felt like she had jumped back on the bed - but she wasn't there.  

My husband says the kitten is in the cage and the cage didn't release.  I thought I had it set as light as I could.  Oh well,  off to figure things out.  JOyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
GOT IT!! banana.gif

Now, got to get to bed so I can get up early to get it to the vets.  This will make my 6th feral trapped.  I got a long way to catch up to Kim's 1000.  

Nancy,  it isn't fighting too much........

Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
IT'S A GIRL!  Her name is now Josie.  She is a little thing.  Was only 2 lbs 12 oz.  The vet still did her spay.  She tested Felv neg and had a deworming and first set of shots.  The vet thinks she is about 14 weeks.

NANCY/KIM - do  you think I should try to socialize?????  Give it a few days and see if she looks like it would work????  If so Nancy do you have room for another???  I'd have to get her to you either Friday or very early Saturday as I am, yes, going out of the country again for the week.    Input would be much appreciated.   Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Josie is back and seems to be resting comfortably in the trap (in the litter pan, of course).  I thought you guys said they'd figure out what it was for?!  Maybe cause it is a heated sunroom she is in she thinks the litter is sand from the beach :>

Josie was purring while I was talking to her.....

Now for the other news....  I think there is another!  I went by the door tonight and something small and fast was at the food.  It zipped away so fast I didn't see it for sure (or am in denial).  Now that I think about it  - the first few times I saw a kitten it stayed near the porch and didn't gorunning too far.  I had even got it to play with  a string.  The last few times I saw a kitten as soon as it saw me it bolted and kept on running.  Hummm,  two different behaviors  ? two different cats?  

Nancy and Kim,  hope you saw the previous 3 or so messages.  I got questions about keeping this feral for the week....

Joyce

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Joyce, if the kitten is 2 lbs 12 oz. she's close to 3 mo old.  Normally I wouldn't try taming at that age, as long as the kitten has a caretaker, shelter, and its feline family to go back to.  But age guidelines are just that: guidelines.  For example, I recently trapped a litter of calico kittens that were 10-12 wks old and are now in foster care because they were less feral than some younger ones I decided to TNR.  Rule of thumb:  Give it 2 weeks and if Josie is showing signs that she wants to be with people, keep going.  If, on the other hand, she's either not progressing or she's regressing, put her back out before it gets too much colder and before she loses her "edge."

Can't comment on the litter box -- I never put litter boxes in traps.

Good luck with your trapping!

Edited by Kim, 06 November 2006 - 10:34 PM.

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Kim,  I sent you a message,  I have concerns about this little girls breathing.  Seems fairly rapid.  Any thoughts?  She has eaten, pee'd and had BM.  Some purring earlier and occ. meow.   Joyce

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Poor little thing,  breathing was so fast 100/min I had to take her to emer. vet.  She is there for the night on oxygen, getting antibiotics.  She had an xray that showed some pneumonia like infiltrate.  ? presurg problem or aspiration after surgery?  I have to be back at 8 am to take her to the other vet as this place closes during day.  Nobody tell my husband what I have just spent today total on this little feral!  Joyce

carol

carol

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 363 posts
Sending get well purrs & kitty hugs to Josie, the little feral kitten.

mcduck

mcduck

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 104 posts
Thanks Carol for the well wishes.  Josie was doing better this am.  She is at the regular vets, getting some IV fluids and antibiotics.  May or maynot have to go back in the oxygen chamber.  I am hoping that she can come home tonight and not have to go back to the ER vet for the night.  

Josie was allowing everyone to pet her, giving some head butts and elevator butts.  Has a good strong purr.  I'm thinking, and the two vets are thinking that she
will socialize well.

Ok, now just got off the phone with the vets.  She said in the last 1/2 hour the respiratory rate was increasing again and it seemed like she was coughing.  (Did some coughing after neb treatments at ER vet).  She obtained another Xray, no change and now wants to do some blood work.  Poor thing.  I hope that she wasn't brewing some illness prior to her surgery.  It will be tough having this little one go thru surgery, hospitalization and be so sick that she can't recoup.  This vet's actually doesn't have nebulizer treatments so Josie may have to be retransfered......

Later,  Joyce

Beauty's Kathy

Beauty's Kathy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,876 posts
I recently went through the breathing issues with a dark orange tiger baby that someone dumped. He could hardly breathe and was seriously dehyrated. AFter two weeks in isolation he completely recovered.

Right now he is at a boarding facility while I look for a foster (or forever) home. He is quite friendly and very happy not to be outside

Good luck

Kathy

Nancy

Nancy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 267 posts
Joyce;

Sorry I didn't see your posts until now...Pet Angel is in the phone book...look us up on anywho.com.  Leave me a message and I'll call you back ASAP!

I hope Josie is OK...poor baby.  Sometimes they come to us because they know we will take care of them in their time of need.  I had a guy that was a feral and was hit by a car.  We allowed us to pet and love on him while he was recovering and afterward he had enough, said thanks for the help I'm fine now and wanted to be "feral" again..he's at a great barn home now and staying away from the road!

Gee, I'm hoping Josie is better before you leave...call me so we can work out what to do with her!

Nancy

Kim

Kim

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
Joyce, sounds like you made the absolute right call in taking Josie to the ER last night.  Crossing fingers here that the fluids and antibiotics will do the trick.  Also sounds like she's a sweetie who's telling you she's ready to leave feral life behind.  

Keep us posted, OK?  Sending good thoughts (sorry I can't send money!  wink.gif )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users