Welcome to IMOM Community Home
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
PLEASE NOTE: IMOM is staffed completely by volunteers. In general, our volunteers attempt to be available Monday through Saturday, though specific times are not guaranteed. IMOM volunteers are not available on Sunday or holidays.

Kuhio 1985~2002

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Guest_Linda IMOM_*

Guest_Linda IMOM_*
  • Guests

*** Copied and pasted with permission from original forum 7/29/06 ***

IMOM.org - Community Forum
     At Rainbow Bridge
        Kuhio 1985~2002

Author  Comment  
kuhio98
(8/4/05 11:41 pm)
Reply  Kuhio 1985~2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kuhio 1985~2002 (Koo-He-Oh)
In honor of Kuhio’s third anniversary (August 6), we’d like to take the opportunity to encourage folks to microchip their pets. Even if your pet is an “insider”, accidents happen. A door, window or gate left ajar and your baby could be wandering lost.

There are several chips out on the market. Please inquire with your vet to see what they recommend. Then, register your chip# everywhere you can and keep your information up-to-date. You can search the web for registration services. We can’t begin to tell you how much this has relieved our minds. When you take your pet to the vet for their annual exam, have them scan to make sure the chip is still in place and working.

A couple of registration places that we’ve found: http://www.24petwatch.com/
http://www.petsaferescue.com/petwatch_microchip_registry.htm
http://www.microchipexpress.com/
http://www.avidmicrochip.com/answer.htm

If your baby is ever missing, there are several things YOU need to do. You need to be actively searching. A good resource can be found at: http://www.petrescue.com/library/find-pet.htm

Had we known this tip in advance, Kuhio’s life might have been spared: “VISIT your local Animal Control, humane societies, and animal shelters, including the ones in surrounding areas.

You must actually visit the animal control and humane shelters every day or two. It works well if several family members can take turns visiting the shelters.

Your description of your pet and their description rarely match. YOU MUST GO LOOK! Be sure to check all areas of the shelter, including the infirmary. Also be aware that dogs may be housed in the cat section and vice-versa.

Leave a picture of your pet and your phone number at each shelter. Befriend them.

Find out the holding period of each animal control and humane shelter. Be aware of how much time you have to claim your pet before it is euthanized!

Government Animal Control agencies usually keep an animal for only 3 days and then they either adopt it out or kill it. You only get one chance at this. Be there!”

If you ever find a lost baby, please do everything possible yourself to reunite it with its family. Animal Control should be the last resort. They don’t have the manpower or resources to try to reunite you with your pet. (Silly me, I thought that’s what they did). So, you have to do everything possible to increase the odds that your baby will be identified. Vets and shelters scan for microchips and look for tattoos.

Kuhio was put to sleep at our local shelter. The day AFTER we were there looking for her. She was in the shelter because a well-intentioned neighbor though she looked abandoned (she was on medication for a hyperthyroid condition). The shelter personnel directed us to look at the cats in cages in a certain room and when we didn’t find her there, had us fill out a lost cat form. It turns out that the personnel directed us to only look in the room where cats are put when they have been cleared for adoption.

By the time we talked to our neighbors and found out she was at the shelter, it was too late. Kuhio had been kept in the clinic/infirmary due to her advanced age and fragile health. The shelter personnel never even told us about this room. (Dear God ~ Did she hear our voices while we were there looking for her? Did she think she had been rescued?) Kuhio was never going to be in the room they had us search because she was never going to be offered for adoption. The shelter personnel never bothered to tell us to search the “found pet forms” and they didn’t search their own database. If they had, they surely would have noticed that she was reported found on the same street (only 4 houses away from ours). If we hadn’t taken off her collar, she would be alive. If we had known about microchipping at the time, she would have survived. If our neighbors had asked around instead of calling the shelter, she would have survived. If the shelter had bothered to search their own database, she might be with us today.

Please keep Kuhio in mind if your baby is ever missing. Don’t rely on the shelter employees to direct you. Tear the place apart. Look in every room of the shelter. And if you are a shelter employee or volunteer, please take the time to help out a distraught pet owner. Kuhio deserved better. They all do.

Princess Kuhio, thank you for 17 years of wonderful, irreplaceable memories. Thank you for visiting us from time-to-time to let us know you continue to be a part of our family. As you know, 3 new babies have entered our lives since you left us. (One from the same shelter that put you to sleep). They are reaping the benefits of all the loving lessons you taught us. We are better people for having known you. Until we are reunited again…..

Bob, Lisa, Kuhio
The Artist Peak Trio

Linda IMOM  
Committee Volunteer
(8/5/05 7:55 am)
Reply | Edit
  Re: Kuhio 1985~2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
There are several chips out on the market. Please inquire with your vet to see what they recommend. Then, register your chip# everywhere you can and keep your information up-to-date. You can search the web for registration services. We can’t begin to tell you how much this has relieved our minds. When you take your pet to the vet for their annual exam, have them scan to make sure the chip is still in place and working.

I just want to remind folks that not all microchips can be read by all microchiop scanners. It's a good idea to contact your local shelters and find out which manufacturer(s) of microchip scanners they have. The scanners are not universal readers so your pet may not have a microchip which is readable by a shelter.

I have lit a candle for Kuhio

www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm to find the candle, click on the "find a candle" then type in ellge
Collie Hugs - Linda aka ellgee

Please click below to visit my furbabies
community.webshots.com/album/134598199QrXRlg

Please visit Monty's memorial page
www.svcsr.org/notforgot/monty.htm

Although I can't seem to make this "clickable" heres Monty's IMOM forum when he was a PINkid
http://p088.ezboard.com/fimomcommunityfrm3...opicID=88.topic

mareanteasin
(8/5/05 8:39 am)
  Re: Kuhio 1985~2002

Quote:
we’d like to take the opportunity to encourage folks to microchip their pets. Even if your pet is an “insider”, accidents happen. A door, window or gate left ajar and your baby could be wandering lost.

Bless Kuhio at RB, and  for this honoring of Kuhio, and helping people remember that any furbabe could get out unexpectedly.

I know often it is something people put off doing, not sure which chip is best, or sometimes it can be cost prohibitive for people, but my friend recently had a cat get out, and it was the only one of her bunch she had NOT microchipped. It was a very tearful time, but after 8 weeks of walking the neighborhood, and visiting the shelters, she found him in her neighborhood, about 8 blocks away. She got lucky, but now she has them all microchipped, and has comfort in that.

Again Kuhio, blessings at RB.  

Precious and Marea

Edited by: mareanteasin at: 8/5/05 11:25 am

Judy Leathers  
(8/5/05 11:21 am)
Reply  Re: Kuhio 1985~2002
It is so nice of you to honor Kuhio...I had read her story and it was such a sad tale...You searching as you did and trying your hardest to find her...

I am so happy to see that she had come back to you.

Know that she is always watching over you and yours. Judy

paulajmnj
(8/6/05 7:30 pm)
Reply  Re: Kuhio 1985~2002
how very tragic. I am so very sorry. Thank you for educatiing others about the importance of microchipping.
it is a great tribute to your Kuhio  
p    

IMOM is an all volunteer 501©3 charity.  Founded in 1998
Powered By ezboard® Ver. 7.32
Copyright ©1999-2005 ezboard, Inc.

*** End of copy and paste ***

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
Thank you for copying Kuhio's thread over to the new site.  It is coming up on another anniversary.  This year, for some reason, I don't seem to have any words of wisdom.  Better put my thinking cap on.  

IPB Image

A friend created a signature for me that I use on other message boards.  It's been 4 years since I last held her.  And even though I've been lucky enough to be adopted  smile.gif  BY  smile.gif 3 more kitties, I still can't bring myself to remove her from my signature.  To me, she will always be my baby.  

IPB Image

Edited by kuhio98, 29 July 2006 - 02:09 PM.

Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!
Also check out the Shopping function from GoodSearch

Tracy IMOM

Tracy IMOM

Certified IMOMer!

• IMOM Board of Directors
  • 3,567 posts
Lisa,

Thinking of you as another anniversary approaches. Your friend created a beautiful signature with your beautiful babies. I still have my Orion on my IMOM signature. He's been gone almost 5 years, but he's still alive in my memory. Our babies will always live on in our hearts.

hugs.gif  

Tracy  stripekitty.gif

Kris S

Kris S

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 737 posts
Oh Lisa, what a heartbreaking story about your beloved Kuhio.  I am so sorry...  What a beautiful girl!

Diana S

Diana S

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 487 posts
Lisa,

I'm so sorry about Kuhio.  Anniversaries are so very hard.  I don't think you should ever take Kuhio out of your signature (which is beautiful - your friend did a great job).  

hugs.gif

Diana S

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
Well, another year has come and gone since Kuhio went to the Bridge.  We miss her terribly.  This year we decided to honor her memory by scheduling annual exams for Halo, Cammie and Pepper with the vet.  All are perfectly healthy (but not too pleased with us at the moment -- they really hate going to the White Coats).  We asked that their microchips be scanned to make sure they were registering.  Halo and Cammie have Avid chips and Pepper has Home Again.  All chips work fine.  Dr. Townsend said that Avid has been bought out by Home Again and that they have a scanner that reads both chips.  He is confident that a Universal scanner will available some day soon.  

Please discuss microchipping with your vet during the next exam.  Call your local shelters to ask them what chips they scan for.  And if they don't, why not?

IPB Image
Lisa http://www.goodsearch.com/ for IMOM ~ Earn a penny for IMOM with every search!

Guest_Linda IMOM_*

Guest_Linda IMOM_*
  • Guests
What a great way to help honor Kuhio's anniversary.

Scanning the microchips should be done on a yearly basis - although I did forget to request this when Andee got his June check up!  I need to be certain to add it to "My Check off List" for the vet when we visit him next.

Diana S

Diana S

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 487 posts
Also be sure and check that the information is correct in the computer.  Kim posted a link for it a few months ago, because there were numerous errors.  If I find the link, I'll post it again.

Lisa,
I'm thinking of you at this anniversary time.  What a great way to honor Kuhio, by having your other cats scanned!!  I have heard that sometimes the microchip moves.  Not sure how frequently that happens, but this is a good way to make sure it's still in place, and working.

Hugs,
Diana S

Jade Silverman's Mom

Jade Silverman's Mom

Jadie

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
Oh, Lisa, I had no idea.  What a travesty!  How horrible that must have been.  I should have read your thread before I answered your post.  What a blunder.  I'm embarrased.

I'm once again dabbing at tears as I was when I read your last post to Jade.  This is sadness personified.  It's a story that everyone should hear.  Jade is strictly an indoor cat, I'm overprotective.  Your story has given me insight.  As well as I think I protect her, there are situations that aren't alway in my control.

If she makes it through this trauma, I take her back to the vet in two weeks to have the staples removed, I'll have her micro chipped.  (She'd better eat tonight.)

I need you to know that the picture you have posted (Kuhio) is the sweetest faced kitty, oh, it's so pretty.  Feel honored for the time she was with you.

Isn't it amazing that people think "all kitties look alike"?  Not only are your kitties features independent of one another, but their individual personalities are clearly distinct.

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
QUOTE(Jade Silverman's Mom @ Aug 26 2006, 05:40 PM) View Post

Oh, Lisa, I had no idea.  What a travesty!  How horrible that must have been.  I should have read your thread before I answered your post.  What a blunder.  I'm embarrased.

Sweetie, you have nothing to be embarrased about.  Kuhio doesn't need our prayers anymore.  She is perfectly fine and dandy and at peace.  Jade (and you) are in my thoughts and prayers.  

Lisa
IPB Image

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Lisa, I also did not know of Kuhio story until I seen your post on the volunteer at HS thread and I immediately came looking for Kuhio thread.  I know it is four years later, but I have to tell you that I was so upset when I read what happened.  OMG, I don't and won't get into it now, but you did everything you could and thank you so much for informing all of us about the micro-chip, just yesterday when we were walking Taz and Angel we stop to welcome a new neighbor and in our conversation they said if you see a black cat walking the fence it is ours.  I immediately said does she have a collar, they said we have been back and forth about the collar and are afraid she may hang herself, then I jump in and said what about a micro chip you never know, so many animals are brought and put down by the pound because the owner did not think they would get lost.

NO ONE GETS IT.. and thinks it can't happen to them... WAKE UP PEOPLE... yes it can.

Lisa your signature with Kuhio did she tilt her head like that when you were talking to her?? my Taz and now Angel does that but I never seen a cat tilt like that??  I love the new signature, what beatiful fur-babys.

PS in my signature I have added my beloved Jasper (Black persian) who I had for 16 wonderful years and lost before we moved out here in 2004.  Jasper will always be with me and his picture is through-out the house as well as our other loved ones that we lost through-our  marriage.

Edited by Diana New Hope, 28 August 2006 - 11:54 PM.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Please help us help our Pets In Need by using this internet SEARCH feature for all your internet searches. To add this feature to your tool bar click here for the FREE download. http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbars.aspx

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
QUOTE (Diana New Hope @ Aug 27 2006, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lisa your signature with Kuhio did she tilt her head like that when you were talking to her?? my Taz and now Angel does that but I never seen a cat tilt like that?? I love the new signature, what beatiful fur-babys.

LOL No, like most cats, Princess Kuhio ignored her slaves. But, this little girl was such a Diva! Whenever she saw the camera, she'd "strike a pose" and cock her head like that. laugh.gif The girl thought she was a supermodel! There was a lot of personality packed in that little 6 pounds.

We still have our bad days. My husband still blames himself for not finding her in time. I talk about her all the time, but he rarely mentions her name unless he accidentally calls one of the cats by her name. He just loved that little girl, and she adored him. Here's a picture of him with his girl.

And 1 of me. She went everywhere with us!

Edited by kuhio98, 01 August 2008 - 08:59 PM.

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Amazing and beautiful..

LOL....How funny, she would tilt her head for the camera... (Boy could she TILT)....

Your husband's pain (and your pain) is totally understandable.  Kuhio lived 17 wonderful years to have it end the way it did is tragic.  But you both did everything you could and you will always have the... should of, could of and why....

Just by you putting the word out to help other familes that may lose their fur-kid on asking the right questions, posting and most importantly having their fur-kids micro-chipped.   (I myself am guilty of not having Toshiba's collar on - she is strickly a house cat and is timid by movement most of the time if she is not familiar in her surroundings). But when I told my husband last night about Kuhio, he immediately said we need to get Toshiba micro-chipped when we take her in for her check-up.

Please know that your message does get thru and you probably have saved many already.

Kuhio must be very proud of her parents...

Edited by Diana New Hope, 28 August 2006 - 12:58 PM.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

Please help us help our Pets In Need by using this internet SEARCH feature for all your internet searches. To add this feature to your tool bar click here for the FREE download. http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbars.aspx

Jade Silverman's Mom

Jade Silverman's Mom

Jadie

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
Lisa,

The pictures are lovely.  Nice to see a man (for a change) cuddling a kittie with such apparent love.  Kuhio in your backpack, Jade would be out of that in a nY minute.

It's so clear how much Kuhio was loved and cared for unconditionally.  I know it was returned in multiples.

Your coming to this forum and encouraging so many of us is amazingly wonderful.  I look forward to your posts on Jade's site.  Thank you!

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
Just adding some other photos of Kuhio.  

Attached Files

Lynette

Lynette

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,384 posts
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for posting more pictures of Kuhio.  What a precious little girl.  Her story just breaks my heart.  I know how painful that must have been for you.

Lynette

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
Thinking of Kuhio today on her 5 year anniversary of her Bridge date.  She was one special girl.  I know you miss her a lot Lisa.  

Juli

Guest_Linda IMOM_*

Guest_Linda IMOM_*
  • Guests
Helping you Honor Kuhio's Bridge Day.  And sending you lots of cyberhugs.

k9sign

k9sign

Certified IMOMer!

• Member - Mod. Team
  • 11,177 posts
Kuhio, Ur mommy is doing something very special this year to honor u.
Lisa, u totally brought me to tears with ur caring and generosity for Baila.
Kuhio would be--and is--proud of her mommy.

I just love the pics.
hugs.gif
Posted Image

Kathy and Tigger

Kathy and Tigger

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 258 posts
Kuhio is very proud I have no doubt.  I am so glad many shelters now do NOT euthanize critters anymore.  My heart goes out to you and your family.

Diana C.

Diana C.

DIANA C

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
Lisa just stopping by to let you know that I inform everyone  has lost his/her dog/cat to check the pounds and ask to see the animals in the euthanizing room.

Kuhio's tragic story has probably saved tons of pets.  I am just so sorry that this happened to her.

Diana & Angel
We GoodSearch for IMOM.

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Happy 6th Bridge Anniversary!

Princess Kuhio ~ Your Dadcat and I hope that your 6th anniversary is a special one and that you have all the cheetos, nachos (jalapeno included, of course) that you could ever want.  

We'll continue to tell the story of how we lost you.  Hopefully, it has saved a few from your fate.  

Whenever we lose a beloved IMOM baby, I am sure you are there to welcome them.  Thank you.  

Judy

Judy

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 7,986 posts
Lisa, even though I know the story of your beloved Kuhio I am still in tears over this.

Bless you for all you did in Kuhio's memory...and I know that your story has helped others be strong and search extra hard for their lost pets...

We lost one of our precious kitties in 1993...we searched and searched and never found him.  To this day I cannot forget him.  I know what it's like to have lost a precious soul...

I am so glad to read that Kuhio has made visits to you to let you know that she is alright...

I will light a candle tonight in her memory.

Judy

Guest_Juli IMOM_*

Guest_Juli IMOM_*
  • Guests
May the party at the Bridge last all day and night with unlimited cheetos and nachos with jalapenos.  

Lisa, I'm so sorry this happened to your baby girl.  Thanks for spreading her story and saving the lives of hopefully many beloved pets.  

Kuhio, you live in the hearts of many.

Juli

LaurieR

LaurieR

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
Kuhio, I hope that you are indeed having a special anniversary. Cheetos and nachos sound pretty great!

Lots of people are thinking of you, and sending love to you, on your Bridge day.

Guest_Jennifer.S IMOM_*

Guest_Jennifer.S IMOM_*
  • Guests
Lisa,
I just learned how you lost beautiful Kuhio.  I knew she had gone to the Bridge but did not know what had happened...what an incredibly painful, devastating experience but what an inspiration you have been to all your IMOM friends.  I appreciate you and you and your family are in my thoughts today.
Jennifer
animcnda_lg.gif

CatPaws

CatPaws

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,892 posts
Lisa, Kuhio and the Legend of Kuhio will live forever here at IMOM because of you and your husband and the way you've turned your tragedy to triumph on behalf of so many others.
Today, on this very special anniversary, we at IMOM have a special reason to celebrate your love (see AFR).

catinmoon.gif  This is the way I will always think of Kuhio.

From this coast to your coast-- all the best!

Paula
HELP JUST ONE

Love, from AJ's Pride and Skeeter's Joy

Jacki IMOM

Jacki IMOM

IMOM Founder

• IMOM Founder
  • 3,228 posts

Jacki and Magic, IMOM Founders

Pyometra is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal and can occur in unspayed animals. Spay and neuter -- it's the right thing to do!

Debs

Debs

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 2,830 posts
Lisa I'm sorry I missed Kuhio's bridge day yesterday. Each time I read her story it brings tears to my eyes. I'm so glad that you have spread your story around so others will  hopefully not go thru the same thing as you.

I know Kuhio is at the bridge enjoying her cheeto's and nacho's with jalapenos (my favorite too).

Thinking of your family today and every day

Debs
Deb, Spike(RB 3/13/07), Riley (RB 8/12/13), Tigger, Jake, Tyson and Jax

Posted ImagePosted Image

We don't get over losing the dogs who have been a part of our lives. We just get used to living without them. --Jim Willis

kuhio98

kuhio98

Certified IMOMer!

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
QUOTE (Jacki IMOM @ Aug 7 2008, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jackie ~ Thank you so much for taking the time to make that.  I can't wait to show Bobcat.  I'm flying home today after being at work for 3 weeks.  I can't wait to snuggle some cats!  Thanks again.  It made me cry -- in a good way.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users